Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,952 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can't see BJS fighting again

On his display itself thought it was what I expected . But this isn't the amateur game . Scoring jabs was never going to be enough

Exactly my feeling..

It was a very pitter patter amateur performance that did nothing to dent, discourage or hurt Canelo..

It was simply an inconvenient awkwardness..

Billy wasted a lot of energy trying not to get hit. Canelo bided his time, and went to work, albeit late.

Sainders was tiring, start taking a few. Knew he was running on empty and likely to be beaten up

He then decided, rather than falling on his sword, to not go out to fight...

Simple as...trying to save some face.

The excuses will come thick and fast from him and his supporters..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

walshb wrote: »
    Exactly my feeling..

It was a very pitter patter amateur performance that did nothing to dent, discourage or hurt Canelo..

It was simply an inconvenient awkwardness..

Billy wasted a lot of energy trying not to get hit. Canelo bided his time, and went to work, albeit late.

Sainders was tiring, start taking a few. Knew he was running on empty and likely to be beaten up

He then decided, rather than falling on his sword, to not go out to fight...

Simple as...trying to save some face.

The excuses will come thick and fast from him and his supporters..

It just shows how the person you are boxing is the first to know

It's hard watching on tv . However for the whole last round Canelo knew the fight was over .

I agree BJS quit . He was beat up / injured and decided to quit . That's just fact . You can argue if he was right or wrong to quit . But he did quit . It happens all the time in the sport its nothing new or to be ashamed of .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

I was expecting the eye to look a lot worse, not to say it's a reflection of the injury itself. He physically shrank in that last part of the round, that's why Canelo was so sure he'd done some serious damage. BJS didn't want to know about it, "corner stoppage" or not he wasn't coming back out.

As for BJS future, I'm guessing mountains of powder and various misadventures with his respectable friends. You get the feeling he's one of these guys whose career probably just about keeps them functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Of course they did.

Nice and handy. He’s not the quitter. His coach is.

Same as Virgil Hunter with Khan..

I think in this day and age if you continue with a broken eye socket your not the brightest,
    Live to box another day
    You don't any extra cash for continuing in a no win situation

I predicted he'd be stopped in the 9th so not far off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

As much as a dislike Saunders, the quit stuff is ridiculous, Canelo smashed his eye socket to carry on would have risked blindness in one eye or at the very least other permeant damage. He was doing well enough but he wasn't winning, he wasn't going to win on points nor does he have the power to stop Canelo. Why carry on at such risk when you have nothing to gain.

People will say "He's brave, went out on his shield" etc but those people won't be there to pick up the pieces if Saunders sustains serious long term damage. Lot's of former fighters are in a state today for the very reason they wouldn't quit, can't blame someone for putting their health first.

• Advertisement

As much as a dislike Saunders, the quit stuff is ridiculous, Canelo smashed his eye socket to carry on would have risked blindness in one eye or at the very least other permeant damage. He was doing well enough but he wasn't winning, he wasn't going to win on points nor does he have the power to stop Canelo. Why carry on at such risk when you have nothing to gain.

People will say "He's brave, went out on his shield" etc but those people won't be there to pick up the pieces if Saunders sustains serious long term damage. Lot's of former fighters are in a state today for the very reason they wouldn't quit, can't blame someone for putting their health first.

Can't agree . When you are as vocal as BJS was about Dubois quitting you have to take everything that comes your way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Can't agree . When you are as vocal as BJS was about Dubois quitting you have to take everything that comes your way

You reap what you sew.

He's a lowlife and he will rightly be judged by his own pervious statements and actions. And I for one will revel in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I think we can agree there was poetic justice at play given his Dubois comments. I'm enjoying that aspect as much as anyone. He made his bed and now he can lie in it for a long time to come. But we can do that and still acknowledge that quitting/withdrawing is sometimes the sensible thing to do.

Talking about how you'd react in a certain situation is very easy. How you react in that very situation is a different thing altogether. If BJS didn't have an appreciation for that before he certainly does now. The cliche "talk is cheap" is made for this.

Regarding the idea HE didn't quit, his corner pulled him out. I've seen one or two push this argument, and as pointless as it is to bicker over, I think it was obvious BJS had his will to fight broken by his demeanor after the uppercut. There's no way in hell he was coming back for 4 more rounds. Instinct got him to the corner.

Would other fighters have fought on? Probably. They may be stronger psychologically, or desperate, or braver, or dumber, or all of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I think billy joe deserves a rematch, would be nice to see his other eye socket broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

BJS did quit. If he quit because of a broken orbital bone I wouldn’t criticise him for that either, it’s a serious injury at the end of the day. There’s also the reality that BJS was tiring (always had stamina issues) and new the inevitable was coming. He’s slick and he’s skilled, but he’s not world class elite level. Look at his resume like, who was the best he fought? Lee and Lemieux?

Canelo is a class act really, very very hard guy to beat. He does everything well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Morrison J wrote: »
    The quitting debate is always a tedious one. I think you should applaud those fighters who refuse to do so but also accept when some fighters do quit as long as it's not egregious, or as long as that fighter hasn't mocked another fighter for quitting. Saunders has talked too much **** in the past for me to feel any way bothered about the amount of abuse that's bound to come his way. Deserves what he gets. Dubois in comparison, didn't deserve all the abuse and I felt sorry for him but there's a difference.

Spot on

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Half way through the 8th Canello piled it on, crowd went mad, Canello said he'd finish the Gypsey in the 8th 9th or 10th, I imagine Billy big mouth shat himself with the thought of knowing the end was nigh, broken socket or not it was a nice opportunity to keep sitting and not possibly get seriously damaged and getting knocked out.
    Canello calling on the crowd and their reaction was special. I'm disappointed not seeing Saunders getting knocked out. I can't stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think he will try to run, hide and spoil and will succeed in that for a time because he has got some good technical skills but I think he will get caught in the mid to late rounds and stopped, all week I've been thinking round 6/7 but I will say probably round 9. I don't think he will see the final bell, I'll be surprised if he does anyway.

I don't think he has anything to trouble Canelo, or discourage him from walking him down and I can see him getting caught and punished when he starts to tire from the forward pressure in his face.

Obligatory not far off self back clap, but mostly just to point out plenty of people saw the fight to pretty much as it went.

He was a bit more awkward for canelo to pin down early than even I thought he would be but ultimately it played out as expected.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Canelo rd 7-12 5/2 on PP decent value

Easy money

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SuperBW

Can't see BJS fighting again

On his display itself thought it was what I expected . But this isn't the amateur game . Scoring jabs was never going to be enough

Scoring jabs worked well for Floyd Mayweather!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I dislike Saunders but I don't blame him for not coming back out here. No fighter should ever come back out when the risk of serious permanent injury gets that high, and if he has a broken eye socket like thought, he risked serious damage by taking more punches on it. His own previous comments come back against him more than anything here as a stick to beat him with.

SuperBW wrote: »

He got rounds for not even throwing punches for chrissake

titan18 wrote: »
    I dislike Saunders but I don't blame him for not coming back out here. No fighter should ever come back out when the risk of serious permanent injury gets that high, and if he has a broken eye socket like thought, he risked serious damage by taking more punches on it. His own previous comments come back against him more than anything here as a stick to beat him with.

Folks are making out that he had some clear injury diagnosis..

He, at that time had a sore eye. Nothing more nothing less..he would not at all have known its severity.

It may well turn out to be a serious type injury.

Similar to Dubois. Dubois didn’t know the extent of his injury when he quit..

As far as I know the doctor earlier did not stop the fight. Saunders and his team stopped it..

And folks bringing up liking and not liking him is nothing to do with it.

He is not a likabke person. I dislike his character and demeanour. I also am not a fan of his boxing style..but that is separate..

Earlier today a boxer quit on his stool. That’s all there is to it.

Who he is, what he is, what he is like has no relevance.

I think the two issues are being wrongly conflated..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks are making out that he had some clear injury diagnosis..

He, at that time had a sore eye. Nothing more nothing less..he would not at all have known its severity.

It may well turn out to be a serious type injury.

Similar to Dubois. Dubois didn’t know the extent of his injury when he quit..

As far as I know the doctor earlier did not stop the fight. Saunders and his team stopped it..

And folks bringing up liking and not liking him is nothing to do with it.

He is not a likabke person. I dislike his character and demeanour. I also am not a fan of his boxing style..but that is separate..

Earlier today a boxer quit on his stool. That’s all there is to it.

Who he is, what he is, what he is like has no relevance.

I think the two issues are being wrongly conflated..

Canelo seemed to realise the fight was done before he didn't come back out.

Thoughts on Canelo’s performance?

Overall it was only ok. Had one real dominant round..

Up to the stoppage the fight was close.

Billy’s movement, southpaw stance and skills caused him quite a bit of inconvenience.

Saunders with good power would have caused a lot more problems..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

While it hasn't been confirmed as a broken orbital bone there's clearly visual symptoms why his corner thought that was the case. A massively sunken cheekbone for one.

It's a bit foolish to say he/his corner didn't know how serious it was at the time. If he couldn't see out of his leading eye and his corner didn't like the look of it visually then it was best to do what they did and pull him out.

Calling it 'a sore eye' is b*llocks.

While it hasn't been confirmed as a broken orbital bone there's clearly visual symptoms why his corner thought that was the case. A massively sunken cheekbone for one.

It's a bit foolish to say he/his corner didn't know how serious it was at the time. If he couldn't see out of his leading eye and his corner didn't like the look of it visually then it was best to do what they did and pull him out.

Calling it 'a sore eye' is b*llocks.

To Saunders at the time it was a sore eye..

I have seen far worse eye visually in fights.

Nobody is saying that they were wrong to pull him out..

They were right:

1. He was not going to win, and likely would have been knocked out and beaten up

2. He goes out and survives 12 losing wide and suffering further injury.

They decided to quit. Their choice.

And for me, it came across as something I predicted. He’d quit when the going got tough, to save face.

Boxers do that at times. Other sports do it as well. Gamesmanship is a human trait..

Anyway, give it a few days and you will be able to read between the lines

“I would have won had it not been for this and that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They were right:

1. He was not going to win, and likely would have been knocked out and beaten up

And for me, it came across as something I predicted. He’d quit when the going got tough, to save face.

Boxers do that at times. Other sports do it as well. Gamesmanship is a human trait..

As I said canelo knew the fight was over calling it a sore eye is trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That's something I definitely expect alright. Especially with so many of his followers on social media having him winning when he didn't get up off his stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They were right:

Come off it
    If it bruised and swollen fair enough but it was clearly sunken any one with half a brain knew exactly what happened
    Sure Canelo himself knew and he didnt have the chance to male Billy sit still and look at it

BJS got beat by the better man no excuses, but he and his corner done the right thing in pulling him out

Cyrus wrote: »
    As I said canelo knew the fight was over calling it a sore eye is trolling.

Sore eye, injured eye..

Call it what you like..

He quit....

Big deal...no idea why folks getting salty at this verdict..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It might take a while but a trilogy fight with GGG, even though he's just turned 39, has to happen. He's the only fighter from 154-175 who has anything to trouble him. First fight should have been a GGG win, second could have been given to either or a draw. Wasn't the robbery loads of people claimed.

Come off it
    If it bruised and swollen fair enough but it was clearly sunken any one with half a brain knew exactly what happened
    Sure Canelo himself knew and he didnt have the chance to male Billy sit still and look at it

BJS got beat by the better man no excuses, but he and his corner done the right thing in pulling him out

You obviously missed the part where I said that they were right...

Doesn’t change the view of me, and others. Quit..

No biggy

Thoughts on Canelo’s performance?

Overall it was only ok. Had one real dominant round..

Up to the stoppage the fight was close.

Billy’s movement, southpaw stance and skills caused him quite a bit of inconvenience.

Saunders with good power would have caused a lot more problems..

He's a proper box office star . He knew he was going to stop BJS . Even called the round

Systematically broke BJS down . No way he was going to last 12 rounds . Have a round here and there if you like BJS but it's going to end badly for you eventually

That's how I felt watching it .

• Advertisement

SuperBW wrote: »

In his last few bouts when his hands were bunched maybe . Mayweather could bang up until then .

Advertisement