Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,693 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    You obviously missed the part where I said that they were right...

Doesn’t change the view of me, and others. Quit..

No biggy

Everyone allowed there own veiw

Mine would be Canelo done enough damage thT he was unable to continue,

Personally i dont think its quitting with an injury like that

Infact i think its dangerous amd bad for the sports for that kind of talk to even be used,

That could be a life changing injury and no fighter should feel the need to have to "tought it out" just because people at home on there sofa will think you quit,

Its not like being under pressure and packing in, its not a Broken hand or Rib that can be tuffed out, Its his eey he cluld have permentally lost his sight in a fight he wasnt goong to win

A bit much for lads at home to call him a quiter

• Registered Users Posts: 55,193 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Infact i think its dangerous amd bad for the sports for that kind of talk to even be used,

That could be a life changing injury and no fighter should feel the need to have to "tought it out" just because people at home on there sofa will think you quit,

Its not like being under pressure and packing in, its not a Broken hand or Rib that can be tuffed out, Its his eey he cluld have permentally lost his sight in a fight he wasnt goong to win

I don’t think it’s a bit much at all

Considering his views on Dubois for the same.

Dubois, who was steadily hit clean for 10-11 rounds before quitting...

Saunders took half the beating Dubois took and then quit..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

But he wasn't knocked out , the ref didn't stop it and the doctor didn't stop it .

He quit on his stool . It's just fact . Not judging him for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

blade1 wrote: »

10-8 round to Canelo, no doubt in my mind!!

As for Saunders and the quitter jibe. I'm with Walshb on this one.

Some times in fights it's easier to stop than keep going on, anyone that's been in a ring knows that, and I mean anyone that even sparred as a child. You either have it in you to keep going, or you don't. It's human nature.

In the every man's daily walk off life this trait isn't tested, but unfortunately for boxers, fighters etc..... It is, and in a very public manner.

In layman's term, when it was time to $hit or get off the pot, Saunders got off the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

From the image I've seen I would say it looks more like a broken cheekbone than eye socket but I suppose we will need to wait for the x-rays if they ever come out.

Maybe both \0/

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

From the image I've seen I would say it looks more like a broken cheekbone than eye socket but I suppose we will need to wait for the x-rays if they ever come out.

Maybe both \0/

Who needs x rays and doctors..

Saunders and his team and some boards posters have it all sorted..

Broken eye socket within minutes of the fight finishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Maybe both \0/

X ray is back already

71-NMmm-EAo-TL-AC-SL1500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Augme

Folks are making out that he had some clear injury diagnosis..

He, at that time had a sore eye. Nothing more nothing less..he would not at all have known its severity.

It may well turn out to be a serious type injury.

Similar to Dubois. Dubois didn’t know the extent of his injury when he quit..

As far as I know the doctor earlier did not stop the fight. Saunders and his team stopped it..

And folks bringing up liking and not liking him is nothing to do with it.

He is not a likabke person. I dislike his character and demeanour. I also am not a fan of his boxing style..but that is separate..

Earlier today a boxer quit on his stool. That’s all there is to it.

Who he is, what he is, what he is like has no relevance.

I think the two issues are being wrongly conflated..

Haha, at the time he just had a sore eye and wouldn't have known the severity? Ffs. That's like saying s footballer wouldn't have known the severity of his ankle injury if his ankle is pointing in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I thought it was clear enough, the trainer said his face was caved in, he was in tremendous pain and his eye was swelling up affecting his vision out of that eye, his lead eye. He was visibly shaking his head no when the Tibbs was either asking him did he want to go on or could he see then the corner waved it off. Said they will live to fight another day rather than go on with it.

Canelo I believe said in the post fight he knew it was over before the round ended because he knew he broke his cheek.

He quit/retired on his stool/failed to answer the bell/was unable to continue, it all amounts to the same thing really doesn't it. Not the first and certainly won't be the last.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Just watched the fight.
    It was interesting and enjoyable while it lasted.
    Saunders was doing well in places but then he quit at the first moment of distress IMO.
    Very disappointing from him.

Augme wrote: »
    Haha, at the time he just had a sore eye and wouldn't have known the severity? Ffs. That's like saying s footballer wouldn't have known the severity of his ankle injury if his ankle is pointing in the wrong direction.

One of the worst analogies ever!

And still no actual diagnosis..

Just watched the fight.
    It was interesting and enjoyable while it lasted.
    Saunders was doing well in places but then he quit at the first moment of distress IMO.
    Very disappointing from him.

Exactly my feeling.

And one I predicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think there is a big difference between retiring due to injury and quitting as youre not up to it anymore.

When you say quitting in regards boxing, most see it as the boxer not being mentally able to continue to fight. I think that's a lot different to someone being physically injured enough that continuing to fight poses a great risk to their future life. No boxing fan should want to see that happen to someone imo. The Vasquez Marquez might have been great fights in the past but look at the long term effects this stuff had on Vasquez. No fighter should have to go through that lasting damage.

• walshb wrote: »
    Exactly my feeling.

And one I predicted!
    You also predicted he wouldn't turn up.

Not hard to get a prediction right when you scattergun.

• Canelo has dismissed the 'just a sore eye' bollocks.

He knew Saunders couldn't carry on.

titan18 wrote: »
    I think there is a big difference between retiring due to injury and quitting as youre not up to it anymore.

When you say quitting in regards boxing, most see it as the boxer not being mentally able to continue to fight. I think that's a lot different to someone being physically injured enough that continuing to fight poses a great risk to their future life. No boxing fan should want to see that happen to someone imo. The Vasquez Marquez might have been great fights in the past but look at the long term effects this stuff had on Vasquez. No fighter should have to go through that lasting damage.

And the lines can be blurred here...

Needs to be analysed case by case...

Khan v Crawford? What was that, for example?

Boxers during fights are inherently being injured...

Nobody wants boxers to be sent out to be badly damaged..

I jus think last night, they decided to quit pretty much when the going started to get tough..

But probably right... he likely was not going to win, and likely to suffer further damage...

You also predicted he wouldn't turn up.

Not hard to get a prediction right when you scattergun.

Yes. Important to cover your bases..

Anyway, one my predictions was correct

He’d quit when it got tough..

So, happy camper is me.

Canelo has dismissed the 'just a sore eye' bollocks.

He knew Saunders couldn't carry on.

Wouldn’t carry on

Canelo’s English was never his strong point!

And the lines can be blurred here...

Needs to be analysed case by case...

Khan v Crawford? What was that, for example?

Boxers during fights are inherently being injured...

Nobody wants boxers to be sent out to be badly damaged..

I jus think last night, they decided to quit pretty much when the going started to get tough..

But probably right... he likely was not going to win, and likely to suffer further damage...

I was at that Khan Crawford fight and I'd say that was Khan quitting rather than retiring due to injury. There was nothing in that that causes potential permanent future injury like Saunders had imo.

If I was to go did Khan risk any permanent future injury by continuing, I'd say no. The risk wasn't any greater than second 1 of the fight. It was substantially greater in Saunders case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Saunders quit long before he sat on the stool.

He spent half of that final round trying not to get hit again on that eye. Canelo knew it too, hence the matador demeanour and not sitting in his corner - he looked like he was just looking across waiting for confirmation.

I'll give Saunders the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Dr. Brian Sutterer MD vs. Walsh BS.

Dr. Brian Sutterer MD vs. Walsh BS.

Let it go, Billy..

Fight’s over. Best man won

Lesser man quit...

Doctor didn’t stop it. Ref didn’t stop it

Team Saunders stopped it..

Quit!

Don’t take it so personally..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,947 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Let it go, Billy..

Fight’s over. Best man won

Lesser man quit...

Doctor didn’t stop it. Ref didn’t stop it

Team Saunders stopped it..

Quit!

Don’t take it so personally..

You are trolling now unless you know better than Canelo or Tibbs.

And your ability to predict the finish of a fight after suggesting every possible outcome will never cease to amaze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Just an aside

It's great when you see a boxers tactics play out

Canelo knew the uppercut was the punch to end it

He was throwing it with intent since round one missing by inches

His big body punches slowed BJS down . Bang . The uppercut landed

Cyrus wrote: »

And your ability to predict the finish of a fight after suggesting every possible outcome will never cease to amaze

Trolling?

Did ref stop it?

Did doctor stop it?

Did team Saunders stop it?

Very simple choice.....

Nothing to do with trolling. Team Saunders stopped it. They quit.

WTF has Canelo or Tibbs got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Cyrus wrote: »

Canelo or Tibbs aren’t going to know the extent of the damage either. Why is their opinion been taken as fact?

We will only know after a medical diagnosis the extent of the damage.

Billy Joe didn’t want to continue due to the damage. We will learn in the coming days if his instinct was right (serious injury) or if he just wasn’t able to overcome adversity (standard swollen eye etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

It might take a while but a trilogy fight with GGG, even though he's just turned 39, has to happen. He's the only fighter from 154-175 who has anything to trouble him. First fight should have been a GGG win, second could have been given to either or a draw. Wasn't the robbery loads of people claimed.

I think that ship has likely sailed. Canelo wouldn't give him the immediate trilogy fight. Three years later it'd be a shame if GGG took it and got beat clear which I think he would now at 39 far past his best.

Nights like last night remind just how good GGG was though. Wasn't even a prime Golovkin in with Canelo either. Tremendous fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Canelo is a beast. Unlike a lot of boxers, he seems to have real urgency and wants to stay busy and fight as often as he can. His competition isn't very strong which does help but I've nothing but admiration about how he conducts himself. He's amazingly only 30 but has 60 fights under him so you'd wonder for how much longer can he stay at the top of the pack. He's so exciting though, when he lost to Floyd you'd be forgiven for thinking he was the next biggest thing that inevitably flopped but he's only gotten better with every fight.

• Advertisement

Canelos plan seeks to be Plant who I don't think will trouble him. Benavidez would be interesting though after that as he has the power to cause issues or if Canelo went up to 175 again but against someone like Beterbiev rather than a relatively easy fight against a shot Kovalev .

Advertisement