Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,083 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just watched it there again

Purely on visuals, I have seen far worse "looking" eye injuries...

He had a very decent first 70-80 seconds in round 8, and then Canelo took over and started to land clean....

And that was it.....

Saunders showed not a single urge to want to fight on.......

Not a dickie bird from him....

The same man who a few weeks ago said there was not an ounce of quit in him....

And who slated another pro for quitting after that pro took a more steady beat-down...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Caleb Plant fight would go similarly to last night. Plant well skilled but has no gas tank. Gets stopped in the latter rounds.

Plant offers more size and power, but wont beat Canelo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Canelo or Tibbs aren’t going to know the extent of the damage either. Why is their opinion been taken as fact?

We will only know after a medical diagnosis the extent of the damage.

Billy Joe didn’t want to continue due to the damage. We will learn in the coming days if his instinct was right (serious injury) or if he just wasn’t able to overcome adversity (standard swollen eye etc)

I'd wager canelo or tibbs know more than you me or any one else posting here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

walshb wrote: »
    Thoughts on Canelo’s performance?

Overall it was only ok. Had one real dominant round..

Up to the stoppage the fight was close.

Billy’s movement, southpaw stance and skills caused him quite a bit of inconvenience.

Saunders with good power would have caused a lot more problems..

I think he was ok. BJS’s style makes it very hard for anyone to look good against really. He had a game plan and executed it well, very much biding his time and got off some great body shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Score cards

Screenshot-20210509-140836.jpg

Cyrus wrote: »
    I'd wager canelo or tibbs know more than you me or any one else posting here

What has their opinions got to do with Saunders quitting?

Canelo had one single round where he did some real decent work...as in had Saunders in actual distress/trouble...

that single round was enough to make Saunders say enough. That is a complete quit job...

The fight up to then was quite close on the cards of many, including mine...excluding actual judges

Arguments could be made that Billy was winning....not by me, but others.

Billy and his team decided to not continue or try to because he was done...he and his team knew the better man was going to do a proper job on him, and rather than face the man, he quit....

Gamesmanship........

Hey, he's human. Many have done similar......

People getting salty and defensive and offended by it puzzles me...

What has their opinions got to do with Saunders quitting?

Canelo had one single round where he did some real decent work...as in had Saunders in actual distress/trouble...

that single round was enough to make Saunders say enough. That is a complete quit job...

The fight up to then was quite close on the cards of many, including mine...excluding actual judges

Arguments could be made that Billy was winning....not by me, but others.

Billy and his team decided to not continue or try to because he was done...he and his team knew the better man was going to do a proper job on him, and rather than face the man, he quit....

Gamesmanship........

Hey, he's human. Many have done similar......

People getting salty and defensive and offended by it puzzles me...

They are just responding to your unsubtle trolling style I'd imagine.

What do you mean what does tibbs and canelos opinion matter? They should know better than the rest of us, when canelo caught him he made it clear he thought the fight was over which suggests a serious injury, when tibbs saw him in the corner he came to the same conclusion. Not that hard to understand is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

All that could well be true but we don't know until we have a proper medical opinion on it/ scans etc . Didn't look like just a swollen eye to me but I'm no doctor !

They are just responding to your unsubtle trolling style I'd imagine .

No, you are clearly salty because folks are accusing him of quitting....

Why is it trolling because people think he quit?

The trolling label here just comes across as "I don't like you saying BJS quit, so I am going to call it trolling."

It's kind of a lame response...

• Advertisement

Senor Frog wrote: »
    All that could well be true but we don't know until we have a proper medical opinion on it/ scans etc . Didn't look like just a swollen eye to me but I'm no doctor !

From the video it looked like a swollen/bruised eye...

I have seen far worse...visually....Daniel Dubois, correct me if I am wrong, looked worse, no?

The mad thing is folks diagnosing it within seconds of Saunders quitting

I can't get this.......

"Broken eye socket, broken cheekbone, broken orbital, both...."

All this from a visual on the tv....

No, you are clearly salty because folks are accusing him of quitting....

Why is it trolling because people think he quit?

The trolling label here just comes across as "I don't like you saying BJS quit, so I am going to call it trolling."

It's kind of a lame response...

I'm salty ? Don't think so but I tend to disagree with you a lot salty is your new response to that and I'm sure you'll get nut hugger out soon as well.

And just to be clear I'm no fan of bjs the person, I thought he had the ability to ask questions of canelo and he showed glimpses of that but was ultimately outclassed.

I have also said he looked silly given what he said about dubois .

But a fighter accusing a fighter of quitting is one thing. An Internet know it all doing it is quite something else.

I'm salty ? Don't think so but I tend to disagree with you a lot salty is your new response to that and I'm sure you'll get nut hugger out soon as well.

We also agree from time to time....

We can come to middle ground..

BJS quit on his stool...not a single utterance of wanting to continue that I saw. That to me is a beaten man, someone who wants out.

You can simply disagree with this view....

I am not alone with it, and you are not alone with your view...

Plenty here have said he quit....not sure why my saying it gets responses..

It's kind of subjective....

The injury bit: Nobody knows even yet what the injury is...and no matter what it is, he still quit on his stool. Knowing what the injury is in time doesn't change that. Broken jaws happen in boxing a lot. Very painful, but fighters sometimes don't even know the jaw is broken till after the fight, and sometimes the pain doesn't come on till after.

Yet within seconds of the end of the fight we had diagnoses thrown around...

But a fighter accusing a fighter of quitting is one thing. An Internet know it all doing it is quite something else.

So, are you saying boxing fans, proper boxing fans, hardcore fans cannot call out a fighter that they believe has quit rather than fight on?

It can only be real and justified if it's a fighter or ex fighter doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So, are you saying boxing fans, proper boxing fans, hardcore fans cannot call out a fighter that they believe has quit rather than fight on?

Haha I've seen more fight in this thread than BJS had in him last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Apologies if posted already. A rather awkward exchange here on the circumstances of the decision to quit. Tibbs being cagey. Asked if BJS told him he couldn't see, Tibbs pauses for what feels like 3 minutes before refusing to discuss it.

https://youtu.be/XMFm7x9k6Eg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I thought it was a pretty good showing from Saunders against a guy who has so many advantages against him. He was competitive. Canelo hits hard.
    On the quit debate I think there are layers to that. It’s still not obvious to me who made the call but Saunders didn’t argue much. He was gonna get hurt if he reappeared for the 9th. Big difference with Dubois is that his corner shirked their responsibility and didn’t act.
    Is my call of Round 8 right then? If only i could choose the right ones to bet on !

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty good showing from Saunders against a guy who has so many advantages against him. He was competitive. Canelo hits hard.
    On the quit debate I think there are layers to that. It’s still not obvious to me who made the call but Saunders didn’t argue much. He was gonna get hurt if he reappeared for the 9th. Big difference with Dubois is that his corner shirked their responsibility and didn’t act.
    Is my call of Round 8 right then? If only i could choose the right ones to bet on !

Tibbs said in the video he was not getting the responses-body language that he wanted from Billy

Billy showed no urge/argument to want to continue....

Corner then felt he had to be pulled out....

Looking at the video it is clear that there was no protestations or wanting to fight on. He simply kept quiet....that silence was deafening.

As others have said, BJS deserves criticism here for the way he slated others for quitting that were in distress...

Of course, his followers won't like this, but clear as day that he wanted out..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SuperBW

Can everyone just say that bjs quit to stop a certain person on this thread posting the same thing over and over and over again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

SuperBW wrote: »
    Can everyone just say that bjs quit to stop a certain person on this thread posting the same thing over and over and over again...

He didn't quit.
    He must feel really aggrieved that he was denied an almost certain victory!!

Signed
    Billy Joe. :D

SuperBW wrote: »

Amen to this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Thoughts on Canelo’s performance?

Overall it was only ok. Had one real dominant round..

Up to the stoppage the fight was close.

Billy’s movement, southpaw stance and skills caused him quite a bit of inconvenience.

Saunders with good power would have caused a lot more problems..

Thought Canelo fought nearly the perfect fight tbh. Did what he had to do in making that 22ft ring feel very small from the start and making Saunders work for every second of success he got. Saunders biting on every single feint and the body shots were always going to slow him down. The hands being down at their side by the 4th/5th said a lot that he was feeling the pace.

Kind of reminded me a bit of Usyk v Bellew in a way. Bellew perceived to be boxing quite well but really Usyk was always in control and dictating things. There was only ever going to be one winner in both fights. If Saunders wasn't pulled out I'm pretty sure he'd have eventually got flatlined like Bellew did too.

I don't see anyone from 160-168 good enough to take advantage of the thing's Canelo doesn't do well. The Benavidez fight intrigues me as he's probably the only one with the size/strength to put Canelo on the back foot. Think he's a bit too basic to actually outbox him though and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

See this is that whole thing that you've been denying the entire time. You think fans have the right to "call out" a fighter, as if you're somehow entitled to expect them to risk permanent injury for your entertainment and misplaced sense of what is macho or not. Or that not wanting to risk being blinded is a betrayal of the manly ideals you hold so dear. Again, while you sit at home on your sofa having been on the Dutch Gold all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

https://twitter.com/i/status/1391258961404440577

I wonder is bjs's hospital bed big enough for him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Looking back on it he definitely bailed out, I agree.

There was no will or enthusiasm left in his body after taking that shot...he made no case for fighting on, the head was down and the fight was gone.

I wouldn't of had a problem with his corner over ruling him and pulling him out, too much damage was done and with Canelo's power he was never going to sustain the last 4 rounds with that eye, it could of been catastrophic, but saying that he made no case for himself, he wanted out make no mistake.

• Advertisement

See this is that whole thing that you've been denying the entire time. You think fans have the right to "call out" a fighter, as if you're somehow entitled to expect them to risk permanent injury for your entertainment and misplaced sense of what is macho or not. Or that not wanting to risk being blinded is a betrayal of the manly ideals you hold so dear. Again, while you sit at home on your sofa having been on the Dutch Gold all night.

Ok

Glad we cleared that up

Fans of the sport cannot make acall on whether or not they believe a fighter chose to quit rather than fight on through adversity..

That would be seen as us sitting at home on a sofa drinking Dutch Gold

I guess I better take it back on three recent calls from me..

Khan v Crawford
    Dubois v Joyce
    Billy v Canelo

Sorry, lads. It was the Dutch Gold talking..

Advertisement