Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Nasty one, he'd be doing well to ever fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cyrus wrote: »
    Medically termed a sore eye .

Ah come on

Very sore

Anyway, doesn’t change a thing. The chap quit. When he quit he or anyone else had no diagnosis on what the injury was; and didn’t matter to him. He was clearly cooked at that stage, hence his remaining quiet.

Like Dubois, who had similar injury.

Happens..karmas a bitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Coneygree wrote: »
    Nasty one, he'd be doing well to ever fight again.

Will be no loss to boxing, this fight should have been billed as something special given someone from this side of the water was taking on one of the p4p greats. Instead it was overlooked given the bad press that comes with bjs. In times past boxers would have to look out for their reputations because that was what made them the money, and this brought a level of respect to the game.

I’m hoping this is just a one off with bjs being a grade A tosser, and doesn’t indicate an ethical change given the kind of money and characters in boxing nowadays.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over Billy’s loss

Probably several millions in the bank for 24 minutes work

Pulls a sickie and still gets paid..

Most folks would get their pay docked for that carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

God Walshb. Beyond a fixation at this stage. I was one of those who near instantly posted this morning.....broken eye socket???. It's not as if took a really bad beating for afew rounds and THEN said no more / or quit as you say, which is quite a different scenario imo.
    He couldn't see a thing out of his eye and I can only imagine the pain he was in. Canelo himself said he thought he broke his cheekbone and that he knew he wouldn't be coming back out for rd. 9.
    It now has come to light that he suffered that exact injury and is undergoing surgery. Eddie Hearn himself has said it'll be a long long road to recovery....if ever!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭titan18

walshb wrote: »
    I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over Billy’s loss

Probably several millions in the bank for 24 minutes work

Pulls a sickie and still gets paid..

Most folks would get their pay docked for that carry on!

I'd "pull a sickie" if I had what that reporter has said - Multiple fractures to his orbital bone, a complete blowout, known as a quadripod fracture.

Tbh, are there any mods here. There's been some disgusting posting here today.

Had one poster wishing harm on Saunders by saying -
    I think billy joe deserves a rematch, would be nice to see his other eye socket broken.

Boxing is a sport, if you're someone who watches it to see people get seriously hurt, you should seriously reconsider being a fan of it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

If he has multiple fractures to his orbital bone then the decision to quit/retire is justified.

No he wouldn’t have known his exact diagnosis but I’m sure the pain levels or vision issues he was suffering were a level behind the normal eye swelling boxers get during a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

begbysback wrote: »
    Will be no loss to boxing, this fight should have been billed as something special given someone from this side of the water was taking on one of the p4p greats. Instead it was overlooked given the bad press that comes with bjs. In times past boxers would have to look out for their reputations because that was what made them the money, and this brought a level of respect to the game.

I’m hoping this is just a one off with bjs being a grade A tosser, and doesn’t indicate an ethical change given the kind of money and characters in boxing nowadays.

The annals of boxing are littered with lads you could describe as tossers, Saunders isn’t the first and won’t be the last. His big cousin Tyson is every bit as much of a prick as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Imo , there's no doubt in my mind he would have come out of his corner if not for the peach Canelo gave him, he was doing ok till then.....that's boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would I be right in saying the ring doctor was within his rights to have the fight stopped due to Saunders being blind in one eye? Or is it only a cut/bleeding into the eye that constitutes a stoppage? Was thinking to myself it would be waved over that if he fought on regardless.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd "pull a sickie" if I had what that reporter has said - Multiple fractures to his orbital bone, a complete blowout, known as a quadripod fracture.

Tbh, are there any mods here. There's been some disgusting posting here today.

Had one poster wishing harm on Saunders by saying -
    I think billy joe deserves a rematch, would be nice to see his other eye socket broken.

Boxing is a sport, if you're someone who watches it to see people get seriously hurt, you should seriously reconsider being a fan of it imo.

Billy is disliked very much by people

Remember, this is a lad who paid a drug addict to punch a stranger

A man who posted a video on how to beat your wife..

This will illicit a lot of hostility for him..

Not condoning it, but that’s the type person he is

A not very nice individual..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Billy is disliked very much by people

Remember, this is a lad who paid a drug addict to punch a stranger

A man who posted a video on how to beat your wife..

This will illicit a lot of hostility for him..

Not condoning it, but that’s the type person he is

A not very nice individual..

I agree. He's a very dislikeable person and I don't like him myself. Don't like him as a boxer either but imo that's beside the point.

I'd like to see him lose sure, I don't wish anyone gets a beating in the ring and takes serious damage though.

Would I be right in saying the ring doctor was within his rights to have the fight stopped due to Saunders being blind in one eye? Or is it only a cut/bleeding into the eye that constitutes a stoppage? Was thinking to myself it would be waved over that if he fought on regardless.

Doctors can stop fights for whatever the deem to be in the safety of the boxer!

titan18 wrote: »
    I agree. He's a very dislikeable person and I don't like him myself. Don't like him as a boxer either but imo that's beside the point.

I'd like to see him lose sure, I don't wish anyone gets a beating in the ring and takes serious damage though.

Agreed..

Nobody wants anyone badly hurt.

But the sport is all about hurt. Its very inherent nature is to consistently inflict head and body trauma. A truly lethal sport..

Every punch a boxer takes he/she is being injured..

Btw, my post 379 was purely tongue in cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The annals of boxing are littered with lads you could describe as tossers, Saunders isn’t the first and won’t be the last. His big cousin Tyson is every bit as much of a prick as he is.

That’s a point I was considering earlier. Lots and lots of very bold boys have lit up this sport. I think these days there’s far more image consciousness and that emphasises it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jesus lads!!

BJS not a very likeable person but that is one hell of a bit of damage to your face.

You can argue over the quit didn't quit all day but a fighter's corner men have a duty of care to their fighter. I've no idea if Saunders wanted to quit or go back out, but if he did want to go back out it would have been completely inexcusable that his corner went "ok go for it lad".

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus lads!!

BJS not a very likeable person but that is one hell of a bit of damage to your face.

You can argue over the quit didn't quit all day but a fighter's corner men have a duty of care to their fighter. I've no idea if Saunders wanted to quit or go back out, but if he did want to go back out it would have been completely inexcusable that his corner went "ok go for it lad".

The underlying point is that he was quick to call out another fighter, who suffered the same injury, for not continuing. If he had tried to continue, and his corner wouldn't let him, people would have had a bit more respect for him, even if that respect was misplaced.

He is not a man of his word, essentially.

Speedline wrote: »
    The underlying point is that he was quick to call out another fighter, who suffered the same injury, for not continuing. If he had tried to continue, and his corner wouldn't let him, people would have had a bit more respect for him, even if that respect was misplaced.

He is not a man of his word, essentially.

Look I'm in agreement but there's a difference between quitting and being forced to quit.

Duran "quit" with "no mas"

Saunders didn't have an option here in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Look I'm in agreement but there's a difference between quitting and being forced to quit.

Duran "quit" with "no mas"

Saunders didn't have an option here in my opinion.

Duran quit most famous of all

And funny, I actually don’t criticise him for it

His reasoning was spot on. Leonard was acting the fooking idiot with that silly stupid showboating, and Duran had a pain in his bollix. I’m not fighting this clown anymore. Duran wasn’t at all getting beaten up, or humiliated. It was Leonard in my view that was shown up for the disrespectful actions towards his opponent with his silly clowning..

Billy’s quit was due to him being cooked. Having had enough.

I think the big issue here is folks getting a little hot and bothered with the word “quit.”

It has negative connotations. Yes, it does. Big deal. It’s life

And people in all walks of life have quit. It’s part of being human..

In such a macho warrior sport like boxing, quitting gets a harsher assessment. Again, such is life, and the sport..

It’s the way it is..

You have some fighters like Frazier who goes 14 rds taking a heap of punishment and refusing to quit, and other examples of fighters quitting at the first sign of defeat and discomfort..

It’s a myriad of examples and views and assessments..

Folks need to get past the word quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Duran quit most famous of all

And funny, I actually don’t criticise him for it

His reasoning was spot on. Leonard was acting the fooking idiot with that silly stupid showboating, and Duran had a pain in his bollix. I’m not fighting this clown anymore. Duran wasn’t at all getting beaten up, or humiliated. It was Leonard in my view that was shown up for the disrespectful actions towards his opponent with his silly clowning..

I think the big issue here is folks getting a little hot and bothered with the word “quit.”

It has negative connotations. Yes, it does. Big deal. It’s life

And people in all walks of life have quit. It’s part of being human..

In such a macho warrior sport like boxing, quitting gets a harsher assessment. Again, such is life, and the sport..

It’s the way it is..

You have some fighters like Frazier who goes 14 rds taking a heap of punishment and refusing to quit, and other examples of fighters quitting at the first sign of defeat and discomfort..

It’s a myriad of examples and views and assessments..

Folks need to get past the word quit.

They might if you weren't peppering every post with the word quit :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    They might if you weren't peppering every post with the word quit :D

Yes. Agreed....

Got me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    If he has multiple fractures to his orbital bone then the decision to quit/retire is justified.

No he wouldn’t have known his exact diagnosis but I’m sure the pain levels or vision issues he was suffering were a level behind the normal eye swelling boxers get during a fight.

I wouldn't normally say this but he is a group one prick, and I'm delighted he got flattened, I was thinking of Barry McGuigan and hoping someone would teach the prick a lesson, also exposed as being just another classless mouth

That's not true though. He's sitting there with his eye socket smashed to bits. I can guarantee not another boxer would step out for round 9.

Again he's not a nice individual and Canelo has done a serious number on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes. Agreed....

Got me!!!

Here's a question seen as your very vocal about BJS quitting last night 'I think he was unable to continue and i think thats different to quitting

Anyway the question is which is the bigger bottle job BJS quitting on the stole due to a broken orbital or AJ spitting his gum sheild out and refusing to put his hands up and show the ref he wanted to continue when he stood in the corner v Ruiz.?

Which of the two was the bigger quitter or bottle job?

The question goes to everyone?

Here's a question seen as your very vocal about BJS quitting last night 'I think he was unable to continue and i think thats different to quitting

Anyway the question is which is the bigger bottle job BJS quitting on the stole due to a broken orbital or AJ spitting his gum sheild out and refusing to put his hands up and show the ref he wanted to continue when he stood in the corner v Ruiz.?

Which of the two was the bigger quitter or bottle job?

The question goes to everyone?

Both quit jobs.

As mentioned. Many different reasons and varieties of quitting..

It’s a gray area..

I’d say both the same..

AJ had enough and decided not to continue..

Billy had enough and decided to not continue...

Unable to continue could be used for AJ.

Saunders never said he was unable or unwilling. His silence on it said it all.

Unwilling to continue is a quit job. Happened AJ and Billy.

Worse than these two, or more quit job was Khan v Crawford..

Another interesting one is Brook v Spence. Quit, but took a real beating. Got the fight beat out of him..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Both quit jobs.

As mentioned. Many different reasons and varieties of quitting..

It’s a gray area..

I’d say both the same..

AJ had enough and decided not to continue..

Billy had enough and decided to not continue...

Unable to continue could be used for AJ.

Saunders never said he was unable or unwilling. His silence on it said it all.

Unwilling to continue is a quit job. Happened AJ and Billy.

Worse than these two, or more quit job was Khan v Crawford..

Another interesting one is Brook v Spence. Quit, but took a real beating. Got the fight beat out of him..

I thought AJ just st had enough packed it in

Where i feel BJS had legitimate concern for his sight in futite life, He also had his team urging him not to continue & explaining his eye socket was most likely broken

I think they are two very different things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

That's not true though. He's sitting there with his eye socket smashed to bits. I can guarantee not another boxer would step out for round 9.

Again he's not a nice individual and Canelo has done a serious number on him.

Not fully true though is it. Plenty of fighters have fought on with the same injury in the past. They should be lauded more than the fighter who quits should be ridiculed though for sure.

Inoue the most recent guy to do it that comes to mind. Fought 10 rounds with a broken orbital bone and should have got a late stoppage against a P4P type puncher in Donaire. Shows how incredibly tough he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Saunders was stunned into silence and shame in my opinion, he was very vocal about being carried out of the ring, stating you can't give up just because your eye goes (the irony)...well that upper cut gave him a dose of reality, not the warrior he thought he was.

Advertisement