Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

Hi i have to get a covid test tomorrow so i can return to work and was wondering how long it takes to receive the results on average

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

Turtwig wrote: »
    Cohort 7 are at high risk of severe disease. They should definitely take extra care until they are vaccinated. If all of Ireland opened up tomorrow then, yes, the advice would be for these people to shield themselves as much as possible.

What about the people that live with the vulnerable people. Like the people going back into offices or bars etc that live with vulnerable people?
    That's why we have nphet advising these things. We are not ready for re opening yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    What about the people that live with the vulnerable people. Like the people going back into offices or bars etc that live with vulnerable people?
    That's why we have nphet advising these things. We are not ready for re opening yet.

It would perhaps be better for the supports to be directed at those people, rather than hundreds of thousands of people who aren't in that situation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Seems to depend where you are from, anyone I know in cohort 7 have been vaccinated,, also know people who are neighbours but have different gps, one mid sixties calling their gp but no call for vaccination yet, the other mid forties and got a call from their gp to get the vaccine Wednesday, so one gp seems to be over twenty years ahead in age groups.

Very much so seemingly, I was saying in the vaccine thread yesterday that the nurse chatting to me when I got my first jab Friday was saying they're almost through their entire list of first doses (done in 2 weeks they reckon at most) and just need to do the second doses when due

Down to area and how many patients the particular practice has in the various cohorts.

In my hometown all the GPs are now practicing out of one of the Primary Healthcare Centres so you have 4 GPs plus however many trained staff vaccinating on a regular basis. In and out in about 30-40 mins including the observation period post jab.

Whereas when I took my mother in to the vaccination centre they had huge queues, people waiting over an hour. Not sure why they were so behind but it seems to be a common issue with the vaccination centres as my Dad had the same issue the previous day

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mutant wrote: »
    Hi i have to get a covid test tomorrow so i can return to work and was wondering how long it takes to receive the results on average

If you get the test tomorrow you can expect results within 24 - 48 hrs in most cases presuming it's done through HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Carlowgirl wrote: »

It's a hypothetical that doesn't apply to Ireland.
    They would have to decide if they were going to shield or cocoon with these vulnerable individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any idea how much each test is costing the State?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 135 (up from 128 last night)
    ICU 40 (down from 41 last night - 1 death)

Last Monday
    Total 151
    ICU 45

Increase from 122 to 135 over a bank holiday weekend. Very good numbers.
    Should see a drop tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

I think today is like a Sunday in that there's no discharges?

So we could be seeing big discharge numbers tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Irish Times. This news won't help in encouraging people.

Denmark on Monday became the first country to exclude Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccines from its vaccination programme over a potential link to a rare but serious form of blood clot.

The move comes after the Nordic country last month stopped using AstraZeneca’s vaccine altogether, citing similar concerns.

The country’s health authority said in a statement it had found that “the benefits of using the Covid-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson do not outweigh the risk of causing the possible adverse effect in those who receive the vaccine”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/denmark-stops-use-of-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-1.4554449

Taking the present situation in Denmark into account, what we are currently losing in our effort to prevent severe illness from Covid-19 cannot outweigh the risk of causing possible side effects in the form of severe blood clots in those we vaccinate,” the health authority said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/denmark-excludes-jj-shot-vaccine-programme-local-media-reports-2021-05-03/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think today is like a Sunday in that there's no discharges?

So we could be seeing big discharge numbers tomorrow
    That is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any idea how much each test is costing the State?

I have seen 150-200 quoted per PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Irish Times. This news won't help in encouraging people.

Denmark on Monday became the first country to exclude Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccines from its vaccination programme over a potential link to a rare but serious form of blood clot.

The move comes after the Nordic country last month stopped using AstraZeneca’s vaccine altogether, citing similar concerns.

The country’s health authority said in a statement it had found that “the benefits of using the Covid-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson do not outweigh the risk of causing the possible adverse effect in those who receive the vaccine”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/denmark-stops-use-of-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-1.4554449

Taking the present situation in Denmark into account, what we are currently losing in our effort to prevent severe illness from Covid-19 cannot outweigh the risk of causing possible side effects in the form of severe blood clots in those we vaccinate,” the health authority said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/denmark-excludes-jj-shot-vaccine-programme-local-media-reports-2021-05-03/

It's going to be harder to have a go at people concerned about this vaccine or Astra, when an EU country makes a statement that the risks outweigh the benefits.

With hospital numbers plummetting right now, is there a bigger case to follow suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Geuze wrote: »
    I have seen 150-200 quoted per PCR test.

If I can get one for 99 with Randox you would hope the state can get it cheaper, especially as they are doing 18,000 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's time to attract people who've existed???
    Maybe work out what's wrong with that sentence and you'll work out what's wrong with whatever bogus theory you're trying to peddle here.

You're attempting to 'other' anyone without a 'healthy natural immune system', whatever the **** that means.
    What's an un-natural immune system???

TLDR perhaps ?

Anyway here goes again....
    Perhaps it's time to attract those who've existed and often worked for the past 14 months,and NOT developed any symptoms,NOT taken any special precautions save for occasionally masking up in shops or where otherwise legally required to do so.

I'm not attempting to "other" anybody,but I am asking if any attention is being paid to those who have NOT had symptoms throughout this,and in some cases still returned a Negative verdict when Voluntarily being tested. ?

I would suggest that such people may well have a healthy "Natural" Immune system,functioning well in the absence of specific vaccine assistance.

Is it the case that such people will survive this pandemic unscathed ?

Or,is it the case that we must ignore them and their good health as they may be bogus ? ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

AlekSmart wrote: »
    TLDR perhaps ?

Anyway here goes again....

I'm not attempting to "other" anybody,but I am asking if any attention is being paid to those who have NOT had symptoms throughout this,and in some cases still returned a Negative verdict when Voluntarily being tested. ?

I would suggest that such people may well have a healthy "Natural" Immune system,functioning well in the absence of specific vaccine assistance.

Is it the case that such people will survive this pandemic unscathed ?

Or,is it the case that we must ignore them and their good health as they may be bogus ? ?

Oh, it is definately this and not the fact that the vast majority of the population has not been exposed to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If I can get one for 99 with Randox you would hope the state can get it cheaper, especially as they are doing 18,000 per day

You would hope, but would you rely on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Mutant wrote: »

If it is done privately, same as needed for foreign travel to most countries i.e. negative PCR test result within the last 72 or 48 hours, most services have a next day result .

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Hospital cases up to 144 this morning (8am) from 135 last night (8pm).

I am guessing we will be down below 120/130 again this evening given the weekend/bank holiday lack of discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm waiting for a hysterial headline from RTE "COVID HOSPITAL CASES UP 10% IN ONE NIGHT, CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER EXTREMELY CONCERNED. NEW SURGE ALMOST GUARANTEED"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm waiting for a hysterial headline from RTE "COVID HOSPITAL CASES UP 10% IN ONE NIGHT, CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER EXTREMELY CONCERNED. NEW SURGE ALMOST GUARANTEED"
    Nope! Bill Gates divorce, some updates on changes today and a spat about a soccer player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Daily Hospital admissions have been in single figures for 4 days in a row now. It would appear there is very very little serious Covid cases out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

I am guessing we will be down below 120/130 again this evening given the weekend/bank holiday lack of discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

BlondeBomb wrote: »

Should see a bigger decrease than that. Last Monday had 37 discharges (obviously that's only reported on the Tuesday) with it being a bank holiday, I'd expect to see a big reduction in the 8pm figures this evening.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Should see a bigger decrease than that. Last Monday had 37 discharges (obviously that's only reported on the Tuesday) with it being a bank holiday, I'd expect to see a big reduction in the 8pm figures this evening.

Not specific to covid, but the weekend bounce really highlights what is probably the biggest issue threatening the efficiency of Irish hospitals - the grinding to a halt of discharges over the weekend. The hospital is on the backfoot from Monday morning, only getting stable by Thursday/ Friday - right in time for the weekend slowdown

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any leaks of this proposed new vaccine rollout?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any leaks of this proposed new vaccine rollout?

Sticking with the age groups plan, may give J&J to the over 40s along with AZ apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Irish Times saying they may use the 'no other option available' to offer J&J to under 50s. Hopefully this happens

Following discussions between health officials and Ministers in recent days it is expected that the same approach will apply to under-50s as to over-50s – meaning that some people in their 40s could be offered the Johnson & Johnson or AstraZeneca shots.

The revised plan has been under consideration since the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (Niac) last week advised that AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines should not be given to the under-50s where possible.

However, officials believe that offering the two vaccines to people aged under- 50 would not contravene the Niac recommendations, which said use should not be restricted if no other option is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not specific to covid, but the weekend bounce really highlights what is probably the biggest issue threatening the efficiency of Irish hospitals - the grinding to a halt of discharges over the weekend. The hospital is on the backfoot from Monday morning, only getting stable by Thursday/ Friday - right in time for the weekend slowdown

Discharges don't matter as far as tracking development of disease incidence, they're too laggy (like deaths).

What matters is hospital admissions, and those continue to decline.

It looks like we're just crossing the 10-per-day mimimum admissions rate we had last autumn.

Don't ask me what the difference is between the two indicators. One is called SUM_number_of_new_covid_19_cases_co and the other SUM_no_new_admissions_covid19_p, and neither is defined anywhere publicly that I can find. A data dictionary would be useful.

image.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Lumen wrote: »
    Discharges don't matter as far as tracking development of disease incidence, they're too laggy (like deaths).

What matters is hospital admissions, and those continue to decline.

It looks like we're just crossing the 10-per-day mimimum admissions rate we had last autumn.

Don't ask me what the difference is between the two indicators. One is called SUM_number_of_new_covid_19_cases_co and the other SUM_no_new_admissions_covid19_p, and neither is defined anywhere publicly that I can find. A data dictionary would be useful.

image.png

SUM_no_new_admissions_covid19_p was used on the hub up to a few months ago as hospital admissions. They now use SUM_number_of_new_covid_19_cases_co in it's place.
    The first seemed to indicate someone being admitted with covid issues/symptoms and the latter being all positive cases detected in hospital.

Advertisement