Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

I will visit my parebys of course and I do visit them I just haven't in a couple of weeks whike they were getting vaccinated. . I'm honestly a bit confused about whether I have to socially distance from them. On one hand we are told its safe if we are vaccinated and on the other we are told it isn't with new variants. I am in contact with a lot of people so obviously I have to be careful. It is confusing. I'm not afraid of going into a shop for god sake I'm in contact with so many people every day. I personally decided I was going to abide by the restrictions in an effort not to me adding to the virus problem. Like I didbt feel having parties was appropriate in this. As I said in an earlier post it's not like we were asked to go fight in a war we were asked to stsy apart. Some people are just very selfish and only think of themselves. They want the party they want to go where they like. All we have now are people driving to other communities making a mess and feckinh off. Buying take out food and dumping it for residents to clean up. I think there are a lot of good things we could take from lockdown. Especially for the environment. I've gone off track now but it's just something I think. We are all going hear there and everywhere looking to put up photos on Facebook of cool places. Most people doing that are leaving big messes behind them for others to clean. Again I know I've gone off topic but it's all part of lockdown and the restrictions.
    Anyway I've put with parties all through lock down. I'm not a curtain twitcher but I know wjen they are on obviously as I can héar them abd I just think personally they are selfish. They are adding to the problem and not giving a chance for the figured to go down. I haven't been a recluse. I meet friends outside for a walk and food outside after. I'm just choosing to abide by the restrictions and not add to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Some posters deriding others' concern now have been deriding the same concerns for the past year or so - Expecting a reduction of derision now that summer and the vaccines are bringing us into the end zone and the risk is actually significantly reduced seems wildly optimistic...

Dr. Em wrote: »
    That is a lot of assumptions. It is perfectly possible to have lost one's job, suffer poor mental health, support the reopening, be desperately worried about local businesses, to personally know someone who has been very ill with Covid or even died, to know someone whose vital health screening has been cancelled, and to be very anxious about meeting other people socially. No one wanted to have to lockdown. We are all angry about the virus and mismanagement thereof. Heaping scorn on someone who is anxious is tantamount to bullying.

That poster referred to people breaking the restrictions as being selfish. She wrote about how all we need to do is stay home and that it's hardly war.

I have understanding for anyone who is tormented with anxiety during this time. It's an awful feeling anyway. The fear around catching Covid or passing it on is understandably strong.

However when the person experiencing such struggles fails to have an understanding of the reality of others, when they think all they have to do is stay home? I find it hard to have compassion for them in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wife was in citywest today, said there was loads of staff, but that there were few appointments. Staff said they were busy yesterday and due to be busy tomorrow, but today they had very few bookings.

We arrived there at 10.30 and there was very few cars parked.

Shame that slots are going unused simply cause people aren't booked in.

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of good things we could take from lockdown. Especially for the environment.

I disagree with you on the strongest terms. Adopting a schoolmarmish stance isn't very endearing. If one wasn't environmentally conscious before the lockdown, fat chance their ideology would change overnight. Incidental fall in CO2 emissions from reduced transport, only a temporary improvement until NGOs start behaving responsibly. Bigger picture, the negatives for most of us vastly outweigh the positives over past year. Mass job losses, deterioration in quality of life and proliferation of mental health issues. The youth starting out in their careers hardest hit of all, unjustly punished for the needs of under 1% of the population. The blunt lockdown tool has inflicted enough damage already, most of us are no longer willing to be compliant sacrificial lambs.

• Advertisement

That’s serious waffle

I was highlighting something NPHET put on paper (it’s in black and white) while discussing a poster who was not visiting their vaccinated parents.

There is no misinterpretation, it’s in the letter to government

I struggle with the logic behind your argument that NPHET aren’t actually saying what they actually said, or in this case print

Although, you also follow the logic that last weekend inter county travel wasn’t safe until July but since Tuesday it’s safe from next week

That entire section of the letter essentially says “relax restrictions on care homes, but don’t too mad just yet”. To represent it otherwise is disingenuous.

And on the second part- your point here assumes that they stated there would be no inter county travel until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That entire section of the letter essentially says “relax restrictions on care homes, but don’t too mad just yet”. To represent it otherwise is disingenuous.

Your accusing me of being disingenuous for quoting directly from the letter while you imply what you’ve assumed is a direct quote

Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's quite possible to have empathy for more than one person or group at a time and to have empathy for people who you don't agree with (making the assumption that everyone who may be anxious was always in favour of restrictions which is a big one). My point was regardless of views of restrictions people have been living with them so long that some may have almost become conditioned by them. Some will be ready to go back to more normality. Others might take a bit longer. Think it's fairly juvenile and lacking in emotional intelligence to dismiss those that can't snap back as begrudgers imo.

There was large scale lack of empathy for those that lost their jobs.

Patronising nonsense galore that "we are all in this together" from the WFH brigade many of whom have built up savings and no longer have to commute to work and who baulked at paying a higher rate of tax towards the cost of lockdown despite their hypocritical call "we're all in this together".

My empathy remains with those mainly young people who have lost their jobs and missed out on their education as a result of political decisions to protect mainly elderly people, and it'll be a while before my empathy go elsewhere.

And your last sentence would be better aimed at all those who so easily dismissed those who lost their livelihoods over the last year and a bit.

That poster referred to people breaking the restrictions as being selfish. She wrote about how all we need to do is stay home and that it's hardly war.

I have understanding for anyone who is tormented with anxiety during this time. It's an awful feeling anyway. The fear around catching Covid or passing it on is understandably strong.

However when the person experiencing such struggles fails to have an understanding of the reality of others, when they think all they have to do is stay home? I find it hard to have compassion for them in that case.

I meabt it's selfish having parties. The longer people are at that the longer this goes on. It is selfish

We can meet people outside. Its not like we habe to be completely isolated. There is no need for dribking parties every night. I know people that have lost their jobs but they have taken this time to learn new things and keep fit. They are not having drinking parties every night witg ten people from different houses. Why not have one or two if you have to break the restrictions. Most of these people are on the pup. They coukd use thid time for something else or meet one or two people.
    I thought the lock dosn was a great opportunity to learn new hobbies. It was also a chance to slow down and relax. Not feeling under pressure to be here there and every where. It also helped me to realise who are friends and who are acquaintance. The lock down is hard on everyone but having parties isn't the answer to coming out of lock dosn. I m not talking about kids her I'm talking about people I their 30 a to 50s and bringing their kids along. Each one of them in different schools. This is happening all weekend and the figures next week are going to frightening I think. We are a very soft generation if we think cutting down or contacts and onky meeting one or two people is hard. If there was a world war we'd have to stsy home. Like people did back in the 30 s etc. Anyway I'm choosing to abide by the restrictions and that's my right.

Your accusing me of being disingenuous for quoting directly from the letter while you imply what you’ve assumed is a direct quote

Brilliant stuff

You quoted one sentence at the end of a section. I paraphrased the entire section. The part you quoted, independent of the remainder, said as you said it does. But it ignores completely the context in which it was stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Wife was in citywest today, said there was loads of staff, but that there were few appointments. Staff said they were busy yesterday and due to be busy tomorrow, but today they had very few bookings.

We arrived there at 10.30 and there was very few cars parked.

Shame that slots are going unused simply cause people aren't booked in.

Brought my mam a few weeks back and it was jammed, queue stretched out into the car park.

My dad got an appointment a few days after that he was unable to attend, and we spent ages trying to get thru to the phone line to cancel. When we got through, the guy said that they’re so busy with reorganising appointments, that the new process is basically that all no-shows are automatically rebooked with a new date and time and it’s causing issues with “gaps”. Some days everyone shows up and for some reason other days can be quiet. Very frustrating for staff there apparently. When I brought my dad to his rebooked appointment the place was very very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You quoted one sentence at the end of a section. I paraphrased the entire section. The part you quoted, independent of the remainder, said as you said it does. But it ignores completely the context in which it was stated.

I quoted a sentence word for word.

I was using it to support a point about delivering public health advice in an appropriate manner, which NPHET or government don’t do.

A poster had referred to variants that the vaccine might not be as effective on, I was highlighting where such inaccurate information can be found in letters from our very own public health team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Brought my mam a few weeks back and it was jammed, queue stretched out into the car park.

My dad got an appointment a few days after that he was unable to attend, and we spent ages trying to get thru to the phone line to cancel. When we got through, the guy said that they’re so busy with reorganising appointments, that the new process is basically that all no-shows are automatically rebooked with a new date and time and it’s causing issues with “gaps”. Some days everyone shows up and for some reason other days can be quiet. Very frustrating for staff there apparently. When I brought my dad to his rebooked appointment the place was very very quiet.

As they move into the 60-65 year olds you have people with jobs. Why doesn't the website simply let you choose a time, then everyone could go at a time that would suit them? It is hardly rocket science and they have known for the last year that they would need a vaccination booking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It feels like there's gonna be another set back soon, i just can't get my hopes up

I meabt it's selfish having parties. The longer people are at that the longer this goes on. It is selfish

We can meet people outside. Its not like we habe to be completely isolated. There is no need for dribking parties every night. I know people that have lost their jobs but they have taken this time to learn new things and keep fit. They are not having drinking parties every night witg ten people from different houses. Why not have one or two if you have to break the restrictions. Most of these people are on the pup. They coukd use thid time for something else or meet one or two people.
    I thought the lock dosn was a great opportunity to learn new hobbies. It was also a chance to slow down and relax. Not feeling under pressure to be here there and every where. It also helped me to realise who are friends and who are acquaintance. The lock down is hard on everyone but having parties isn't the answer to coming out of lock dosn. I m not talking about kids her I'm talking about people I their 30 a to 50s and bringing their kids along. Each one of them in different schools. This is happening all weekend and the figures next week are going to frightening I think. We are a very soft generation if we think cutting down or contacts and onky meeting one or two people is hard. If there was a world war we'd have to stsy home. Like people did back in the 30 s etc. Anyway I'm choosing to abide by the restrictions and that's my right.

At this stage of the pandemic I judge no person for breaking the restrictions. It doesn't matter to me whether they are teenager or adults. Learning a hobby is certainly a good thing and you are lucky to have been able to do so. Not everyone else has. Either we are still working or our motivation is through the floor. You have been able to do so. Not the case for others.

For you cutting down contacts or meeting one or two people is manageable. Not the case for others. You can compare the situations to not being as bad as a war. Not the case for others.

The restrictions run deeper than "just stay at home". They have torn at the fabric of what it means to be human. People being scared to sit beside each other, no longer feeling comfortable in certain environments, everyday connections gone, choice to live our lives the way we see fit gone. That's before we even consider the living hell of people in dangerous and or unhealthy home situations. Children who relied upon school to give them an escape from chaos.

It's wonderful that we have among us very steely and resilient minds. That doesn't mean others are "soft". I can understandable why you would be anxious and why you abide by the restrictions. Can you understand how it has been so hard for others in different ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It feels like there's gonna be another set back soon, i just can't get my hopes up

That's the spirit,I reckon some people won't be happy unless we go into another lockdown in Autumn and come out and say I told you so

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭thebronze14

Why are you constantly bringing up World War?! That's fine, be ultra cautious if you want. No need the constant complaining about people getting on with life. If that bothered pull them up on it instead of going on about it on here

At this stage of the pandemic I judge no person for breaking the restrictions. It doesn't matter to me whether they are teenager or adults. Learning a hobby is certainly a good thing and you are lucky to have been able to do so. Not everyone else has. Either we are still working or our motivation is through the floor. You have been able to do so. Not the case for others.

For you cutting down contacts or meeting one or two people is manageable. Not the case for others. You can compare the situations to not being as bad as a war. Not the case for others.

The restrictions run deeper than "just stay at home". They have torn at the fabric of what it means to be human. People being scared to sit beside each other, no longer feeling comfortable in certain environments, everyday connections gone, choice to live our lives the way we see fit gone. That's before we even consider the living hell of people in dangerous and or unhealthy home situations. Children who relied upon school to give them an escape from chaos.

It's wonderful that we have among us very steely and resilient minds. That doesn't mean others are "soft". I can understandable why you would be anxious and why you abide by the restrictions. Can you understand how it has been so hard for others in different ways?

They are taking the p***. Why not meet up with one or two people. Having parties of yen is taking the p***. People have made huge sacrifice a for others to lift their leg all over it.
    I have worked through covid and yes I've suffered severe anxiety at times especially at x mas. I coukd nt just throw a party of ten or more from different households to deal with that. That woukd have been selfish

They are taking the p***. Why not meet up with one or two people. Having parties of yen is taking the p***. People have made huge sacrifice a for others to lift their leg all over it.
    I have worked through covid and yes I've suffered severe anxiety at times especially at x mas. I coukd nt just throw a party of ten or more from different households to deal with that. That woukd have been selfish

I understand why you feel that way. Do you understand the other points in my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Do we get swab numbers on a BH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I quoted a sentence word for word.

I was using it to support a point about delivering public health advice in an appropriate manner, which NPHET or government don’t do.

A poster had referred to variants that the vaccine might not be as effective on, I was highlighting where such inaccurate information can be found in letters from our very own public health team.

Only problem is that it didn't. Look up the word "may".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

We are a very soft generation if we think cutting down or contacts and onky meeting one or two people is hard. If there was a world war we'd have to stsy home. Like people did back in the 30 s etc. Anyway I'm choosing to abide by the restrictions and that's my right.

Every current generation gets labelled as being weaker than the one that preceded it (while at the same time the previous generation will get blamed for the current state of the world. Go figure).

I can't believe there are still people making comparisons to war times like that's a reason for people to be grateful. The past year and a bit has been very difficult for many people in many ways. I know I myself have been in dark places at certain times through it all and have no doubt others have too. This does not equal being "soft".

Cut out the nonsense like this and you're likely to find your other arguments will get a little more support.

I understand why you feel that way. Do you understand the other points in my post?

Yes but if people are lonely they can meet up with one or two.

I'm glad you can see that people can be lonely.

I really hope that those who couldn't meet others during the restrictions managed ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So its ok to not follow restrictions then? Like you've been doing meeting with your friends outside?

They're not seeking your permission. Those beach scenes last week, you'd be surprised if you started tallying them up. Doesn't burden me at all if two or a dozen assemble outdoors, in any event I can't control the actions of other people nor have any desire to do so. You underestimate human nature, we're not linear automatons without spontaneity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No deaths, 453 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

453 and no deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

UK doing well 1649 cases one death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yep, vaccines dont work.....

Advertisement