Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    Three cases in my kids school. A parent of one contacted the principle today to let her know as she was surprised the principle wasn't in contact with the family. The principle didn't know about it despite it being 60 hours since the result. Nothing from the HSE.

The irony. Your kids' school of all the schools. You couldn't make it up.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Not 100% sure, weren't there reports that we could be awash with MRNA vaccines by late Summer? They'll never use all the Astra contracted numbers if that is the case?

Not sure to be honest. May be timing and may be form commitments, but I see that we are banking on Pfizer in 2022 and 2023 for the boosters.

Yeah possibly. Something is not right with the timing though. If AZ lasts for 6 months, and "Dr Denis McCauley, chair of the IMO General Practitioner Committee, said GPs had “a week or so” to administer the vaccines to ensure that they were not kept in fridges beyond their expiry date".

A week. That would imply that some stocks were delivered last December. I don't recall, but maybe that happened.

No, it implies they were manufactured mid November. They could have been delivered no earlier than February as that’s when we approved. So Az were delivering 3 month old vaccine at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Evening all.
    So my understanding (which could be wrong) is that hospitalisations have gone up to 144 from a low of what? 123 or something on the 1st may.
    What is the breakdown of the people going into hospital?
    I thought we had most of the at risk vaccinated at this stage so surely we shouldn’t be seeing people going into hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

AstraZeneca has so far delivered just 31 million of the 120 million doses it had promised to the EU. (According to papers last week).

With the news that the EU Commission is not renewing contracts for Astra and J&J from next year, will the EU continue to get the remaining stocks of AZ for the rest of this year, even when MRNA vaccines become plentiful?

No promises were made from AZ to the EU. The advanced purchase order was a best case scenario and an estimation. Approval was granted 29/1/2021

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1362780886379483137

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

tom1ie wrote: »
    Evening all.
    So my understanding (which could be wrong) is that hospitalisations have gone up to 144 from a low of what? 123 or something on the 1st may.
    I thought we had most of the at risk vaccinated at this stage so surely we shouldn’t be seeing people going into hospital.

Not all the at risk have been vaccinated, most of cohort 7 haven't been yet. And a small amount of non-risk people who catch covid will be hospitalised anyway.

Hospital numbers always rise over a weekend because there's low discharges, we should see a decent drop in hospital patients later in the week.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Evening all.

Even if everyone were vaccinated, a small minority will still be hospitalized.

Vaccines are not 100 percent effective.

That said, even people in their 30s and 40s can be hospitalized, particularly if they have underlying health conditions - including being very overweight or perhaps even diabetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭saabsaab

bloopy wrote: »
    Nope.
    If the vaccine preevents serious illness, you give it to those most at risk of serious illness first. Not to those most likely to just brush it off.
    Besides, at this stage there are a hell of a lot more under 30's than vulnerable left to vaccinate.
    Do you suggest the vulnerable stay at home until the healthy are vaccinated, while still at risk from potentially catching the virus at any moment? That seems a bit cruel.

If you stop the spread you protect all breaking the chains of spread. Younger people can get it and spread it without knowing easily. Most of the most vulnerable are done by now surely (over a million done) so it won't be such an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

RTÉ went the extra mile with their fake news this evening.

Screenshot-20210504-182945-2.png

Just 4,000 added onto to possible/probable death number.

They live in hope!

eastie17 wrote: »
    They live in hope!

Would you give over! Absurd comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 132 (down from 135 last night)
    ICU 39 (down from 40 last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Good numbers - nice to see them going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Even if everyone were vaccinated, a small minority will still be hospitalized.

Vaccines are not 100 percent effective.

That said, even people in their 30s and 40s can be hospitalized, particularly if they have underlying health conditions - including being very overweight or perhaps even diabetic.

Those groups are not going to be left unvaccinated as in group 4 and 7 . Edit . I am thinking you meant to write obese not overweight .
    However those in the under 60 age groups are not vaccinated yet, and these accounted for 45 % of all admissions prior to this.
    This month will make a big difference to hospital numbers when all the vulnerable groups vaccinated .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 132 (down from 135 last night)
    ICU 39 (down from 40 last night)

First time this year for the ICU number to fall under 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭patnor1011

WORLDWIDE - As of March 19, 2021:
    Population: 7,800,000,000 (7.8 Billion)
    Cases: 121,474,807 = 1.557369% of the Population.
    Deaths: 2,684,178 = 0.034413% of the Population.
    Healthy, Alive and Terrified: 99.965587% of the Population.
    Cases: 7,800,000,000 – 121,474,807 = 7,678,525,193 (98.442630% unaffected)
    Deaths: 7,800,000,000 – 2,684,179 = 7,797,315,821 (99.965587% unaffected)
    When the World was forced into lockdown in March of 2020,
    there were only 209,842 “Cases” and 8,778 “Deaths” attributed to Covid-19.
    As you can see from the percentages derived in comparison to the population,
    Covid-19 had no significant presence in the world’s population,
    therefore, the lockdown was ordered without justification.
    Now, after One year and Four reported “Surges”, we can see that as of March 19, 2021,
    there were only 121,474,807 “Cases” and 2,684,178 “Deaths” attributed to Covid-19.
    Covid-19 still has no significant presence in the World’s population,
    therefore, the continued lockdown ordered without justification is insanity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Covid-19 had no significant presence in the world’s population.

Because of lockdowns or in spite of lockdowns? Hard to tell!

If Covid was simply allowed rip through the population of the world, statistics may have been a different?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Allinall

Proof that mitigating measures were very effective.

<snip blah blah blah snip>

You've missed the point, haven't you?

Great to see the restrictions were effective though.

Cases: 121,474,807 = 1.557369% of the Population.
    Deaths: 2,684,178 = 0.034413% of the Population.
    Healthy, Alive and Terrified: 99.965587% of the Population.
    Cases: 7,800,000,000 – 121,474,807 = 7,678,525,193 (98.442630% unaffected)
    Deaths: 7,800,000,000 – 2,684,179 = 7,797,315,821 (99.965587% unaffected)
    When the World was forced into lockdown in March of 2020,
    there were only 209,842 “Cases” and 8,778 “Deaths” attributed to Covid-19.
    Covid-19 had no significant presence in the world’s population,
    therefore, the lockdown was ordered without justification.
    Now, after One year and Four reported “Surges”, we can see that as of March 19, 2021,
    there were only 121,474,807 “Cases” and 2,684,178 “Deaths” attributed to Covid-19.

While I do think that restrictions went too far, it’s hard to fathom the intelligence (or lack thereof) of people who post stuff like this, as they are laying out all the evidence of why restrictions were a good thing at the same time as ranting against them

It’s something that whooshes way over the heads of those on the conspiracy forum

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

While I do think that restrictions went too far, it’s hard to fathom the intelligence (or lack thereof) of people who post stuff like this, as they are laying out all the evidence of why restrictions were a good thing at the same time as ranting against them

It’s something that whooshes way over the heads of those on the conspiracy forum

While the restrictions almost certainly changed the timeline of events and the deaths/cases at particular points in time, the overall casualties that would have occurred without lockdown is very difficult to estimate.

Those refuting the OP haven't offered anything to prove their point that Lockdown is the reason that the situation wasn't worse.

I personally think the initial lockdown was warranted, but the subsequent one were ill thought-out, and messaging around ventilation in particular remains poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Those groups are not going to be left unvaccinated as in group 4 and 7 . Edit . I am thinking you meant to write obese not overweight .
    However those in the under 60 age groups are not vaccinated yet, and these accounted for 45 % of all admissions prior to this.
    This month will make a big difference to hospital numbers when all the vulnerable groups vaccinated .

Also remember, everyone being admitted is being tested, so even if you are in hospital for a road traffic accident, you could be asymptomatic but will be counted as a case in hospital in these stats. You could even be vaccinated and test positive in this scenario as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

And I know a case where the exact opposite happened. The person contracted covid, was treated in ICU, discharged, and then had to be re-admitted to hospital three times over the next two months due to severe long-term complications. Only in the first instance were they counted as a Covid case in hospital, but I'm not going to argue that they are undercounting those getting treatment in hospital due to Covid on the back of one case.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Dr. Em wrote: »
    And I know a case where the exact opposite happened. The person contracted covid, was treated in ICU, discharged, and then had to be re-admitted to hospital three times over the next two months due to severe long-term complications. Only in the first instance were they counted as a Covid case in hospital, but I'm not going to argue that they are undercounting those getting treatment in hospital due to Covid on the back of one case.

Is two months long term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

big syke wrote: »
    Is two months long term?

The complications are long-term - four strokes. They may never walk again.

Anyway, my point is that there will always be exceptions to any generalisation and arguing on the basis of the exceptions paints an inaccurate picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The complications are long-term - four strokes. They may never walk again.

Anyway, my point is that there will always be exceptions to any generalisation and arguing on the basis of the exceptions paints an inaccurate picture.

Thats awful. Hope they can get some kind of help and cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

While the restrictions almost certainly changed the timeline of events and the deaths/cases at particular points in time, the overall casualties that would have occurred without lockdown is very difficult to estimate.

Those refuting the OP haven't offered anything to prove their point that Lockdown is the reason that the situation wasn't worse.

I personally think the initial lockdown was warranted, but the subsequent one were ill thought-out, and messaging around ventilation in particular remains poor.
    That poster trotted out a stream of data manipulated into supporting a clear point of view. We can all make data do that. However, aligning data to the stated reasons for lockdowns does support their use. In the context of keeping people apart they were effective and really not ill thought out, however crude they were at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Must be about the 5th time the pharmacists have complained about being left out and of course it was on Claire Byrne, where all things COVID live.

Pharmacists have been sidelined from the national vaccination programme, with 2,000 fully-trained vaccinators "ready to go", according to the Irish Pharmacy Union

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0505/1213816-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

is_that_so wrote: »
    That poster trotted out a stream of data manipulated into supporting a clear point of view. We can all make data do that. However, aligning data to the stated reasons for lockdowns does support their use. In the context of keeping people apart they were effective and really not ill thought out, however crude they were at times.

Yes, they certainly did reduce people's numbers of close contacts which slowed down spread to protect hospital capacity.
    Here in Ireland, hospitals never reached capacity, so in that sense the lockdown probably helped achieve that aim.

However, reducing the spread among the HEALTHY population to such a large degree may have prolonged the waves.
    Without a "No lockdown" control group, it is impossible to say definitively.

A secondary consequence of the Lockdown is lower overall immunity as people have not been exposed to the normal bugs that typically circulate.
    I haven't had a s much as a sniffle in over a year, which is unusual for me.
    Further to that is the litany of cognitive and physical health impacts affecting ALL cohorts, arising from lack of access to normal health services, screening, and elective procedures.

Crude is certainly the word for it.
    The WHO advises lockdowns be short and sharp, that is probably where the benefits really lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Allinall wrote: »
    Proof that mitigating measures were very effective.

Whatever it is it ain't 'proof' in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Here in Ireland, hospitals never reached capacity........

Hospitals here cancelled screenings, procedures etc. Once they had to cancel even one procedure they were at capacity

Advertisement