Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

cheezums wrote: »
    nordies at it again. what do they be at ffs?

And how did they get down to the Déise ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

The moral panic is over - Tony has lost the middle ground.

Assuming the UK doesn't start posting immense hospitalisations in the next week - everyone waffling about delta is going to be left with egg on their faces. Its over.

Winter will be hard, but that wont be because of corona it will be because of the utter mess left by the ruinous leaders, their clickbait media, and a loud and screechy social media brigade that jump on anything that makes them feel superior to others.

Back in your box all of you.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    After he spoke Ronan Glynn jumped in to say that they don't want a headline out there saying they said there would be further lockdown and restrictions because they are not saying that .
    What Holohan said was in reply to a leading question by that Gabby one from the Indo who is nothing more than a rabble rouser at this stage .
    Along with others here who are running with this ridiculous statement .
    As both said they don't know , as in the pandemic has caught everyone on the hop on more than one occasion so they can't say never .
    But how likely is that to happen , when everyone here is vaccinated or as near as, with four great vaccines ?

Anything is likely with NPHET. Phil Nolan said last night that even fully vaccinated elderly and vulnerable are potentially still vulnerable. Tony talking about how hospitality would have been closed until late September at least. Tony talking about lockdown this winter.

If they don’t want negative headlines, just say there won’t be lockdowns when people are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

And how did they get down to the Déise ?!

A funeral with people back from the uk

Anything is likely with NPHET. Phil Nolan said last night that even fully vaccinated elderly and vulnerable are potentially still vulnerable. Tony talking about how hospitality would have been closed until late September at least. Tony talking about lockdown this winter.

If they don’t want negative headlines, just say there won’t be lockdowns when people are vaccinated.

That's not how they speak though.
    They don't do political or populist as evidenced by the reactions here , for example , every time they say what they are essentially paid to do...gauge the risk and make recommendations in the interests of public health.
    Anything else is down to our lovely government .
    I saw that briefing and did not get or did not have any fear that we would be in lockdown this winter, just that some sxxt journo was trying to get them to say stuff that she could twist.
    And Holohan tried to avoid it , with Glynn pulling it back and all but telling her off .
    People talk about RTE ..let's discuss the Indo making up stuff through this .

I really can't see this being more than another month or six weeks .
    Definitely not after all the vaccinations .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1410673460624465920?s=21

Did anyone question Prof Nolan at the press conference re his misunderstanding of vaccine efficacy? This is a very big error for someone in charge of Covid modelling to make. It’s having a direct impact on our daily lives. It’s also implying that even after vaccination, Ireland will not exit restrictions at even 100% uptake - NPHET would play with efficacy figures & incorrectly interpret them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I’ve watched so many of nphet’s press conferences, they offer no hope & most importantly no exit strategy. Dr Holohan is firmly in charge of Míchéal Martin & Government as evident this week. Their modelling is seriously questionable.

The direct contrast between Ireland, the U.K. & Europe right now is staggering. Either all 27 member states plus U.K. are wrong….or Ireland is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

wadacrack wrote: »
    Theirs going to be a very bad wave in Europe by late August. Many countries are going to face deaths that could be worse than January.

The latest ECDC situation report does not make for good reading.

Figures declined again this week across the EU on this weeks report for the 11 consecutive week. Similar trends with ICU, Hospitalisations and Deaths. What report are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Delta is unstoppable he said with a big smirk on his face.

I wish he'd continue with something like....

So in three weeks we're gonna let it rip folks because we will have 95% of the vulnerable, who account for 95% of deaths, fully vaccinated!

But we're not really letting it rip, we're just zooming out and putting less weight on case numbers for a virus that is declawed.

The direct contrast between Ireland, the U.K. & Europe right now is staggering. Either all 27 member states plus U.K. are wrong….or Ireland is wrong.

Fair enough .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/the-delta-variant-is-spreading-in-europe-and-cant-be-stopped.html&ved=2ahUKEwiX77PU0MLxAhVCY8AKHeByDFoQ0PADegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw04636nToP316KB0rItRfrH&cshid=1625169080179

Estimates by de Gascun were for Delta to be at 70 % now here .
    Germany was at 50% a few days ago .
    Portugal 55% , mainly Lisbon and rising .
    I think they are at a more advanced level of opening than us so it makes it harder to lock down without the rising cases in hospital and ICU to reinforce the predictions at this stage .
    As seen by everyone's scepticism here .
    WHO German health doctor announcing that there needs to be extreme caution especially as regards large crowds for the football because of the variant .

It is not unreasonable that we roll on the vaccinations quickly and just pause for a few more weeks to allow more people to be protected .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Vaccinate everyone is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If what he is saying is true on 1st August in UK there will be deaths to a scale as bad as peak. If there's elevanteen million cases it doesn't matter, deaths and not people waffling about a runny nose are all that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    The moral panic is over - Tony has lost the middle ground.

Assuming the UK doesn't start posting immense hospitalisations in the next week - everyone waffling about delta is going to be left with egg on their faces. Its over.

I certainly hope it will be over soon. I'm getting a trifle fed up with it all now.

My main concern is that with all these half vaccinated people that some variant from hell won't appear. It could be nearly over, or we could be at the most dangerous stage. It might be a war of attrition that the virus is starting to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

George Lee is loving the limelight.

M

Those in Dublin better take out life insurance and write their will, ffs, George Lee waffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

saabsaab wrote: »

Bollox give healthy young kids it ? Not a chance very small chance of a serious outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

It might be the answer. However, it is taking too long.
    It'll take years to vaccinate Africa and India at current rates.

Social distancing and sanitising = Delta Variant
    Vaccines = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Once the most at risk are done open it up. Let the people decide the risk.

M

RTE have a Prime Time special on deaths in nursing homes at 9.30 tonight to keep the old and vulnerable worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fair enough .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/the-delta-variant-is-spreading-in-europe-and-cant-be-stopped.html&ved=2ahUKEwiX77PU0MLxAhVCY8AKHeByDFoQ0PADegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw04636nToP316KB0rItRfrH&cshid=1625169080179

I think they are at a more advanced level of opening than us so it makes it harder to lock down without the rising cases in hospital and ICU to reinforce the predictions at this stage .
    WHO German health doctor announcing that there needs to be extreme caution especially as regards large crowds for the football because of the variant .

It is not unreasonable that we roll on the vaccinations quickly and just pause for a few more weeks to allow more people to be protected .

You are a very reasonable poster so this isnt a go but kicking it down the road for a few more weeks is getting tiresome for a lot of people, me included at this point. At some point, personal responsibility has to play a part in how we respond and open up. If people are vulnerable/not comfortable they can tailor there behaviour.

Another issue with this stuff, my uncle who is single and in his 70s and fully vaccinated has told family that he no longer wants visits from other family members (who are also fully vaccinated) because of what he has seen on RTE news recently. It is fear mongering to a cohort of people who have spent 16 months missing life and their families

• Advertisement

I agree. It was all happy days from them a few weeks ago at the NPHET briefings. In the past few days, it has come down like a brick out of the sky. The only reference has been a "dark cloud on the sky" from Dr. Nolan.

It is like being in an abusive relationship. There are days when you feel great and happy and in love, all thoughts of leaving gone. Then as quick as lighting the other person is back to being cold, not speaking, aggressive and your desire to leave kicks in again.

It's a hellish place to be and it eats away at you yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Once the most at risk are done open it up. Let the people decide the risk.

The people have decided. House parties left right and centre at the minute, people mixing everywhere and it's great to witness. NPHET have lost the will of everyone and only the scaring of the old remains for them. Nobody gives a hoot about a sniffle and a cold because that's all this is to anyone under 40.

The rest of Europe is moving on and we remain the most pathetic laggard on the continent. Fighting Irish my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Fair enough .

Shouldn't the countries with less restructions get overrun quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Including those who shouldn’t have one for medical reasons and also those who don’t want one?

You planning forced vaccinations?

The only thing that gives me comfort right now is the fact that this is financially unsustainable.

We’ll be forced to behave like grown ups again soon.

Irish Times main story is Cervical Tony proclaiming the beginning of the fourth wave in Ireland.

Can we have a public poll on whether or not people believe him?

That’d be great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duffman13 wrote:
    Figures declined again this week across the EU on this weeks report for the 11 consecutive week. Similar trends with ICU, Hospitalisations and Deaths. What report are you talking about?
    Well I asked earlier on if there was any update as regards the delta variant in the UK.
    As I said, on June 21st they said that of the 117 deaths of confirmed delta variant cases that 50 were fully vaccinated people.
    I think that's a huge concern. I haven't been able to find any update on that since then.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I asked earlier on if there was any update as regards the delta variant in the UK.
    As I said, on June 21st they said that of the 117 deaths of confirmed delta variant cases that 50 were fully vaccinated people.
    I think that's a huge concern. I haven't been able to find any update on that since then.

Hard to believe in a state that 70 or so million people live in, 50 vaccinated people have since died.

I for one assumed that all vaccinated people would live for ever and ever.

Silly me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Zebra3 wrote:
    Hard to believe in a state that 70 or so million people live in, 50 vaccinated people have since died.

I for one assumed that all vaccinated people would live for ever and ever.

Silly me!!!
    I'm not sure if I should even respond but you do realise that this means that vaccinated people got the delta variant?
    Of 117 deaths over 40% were fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

wadacrack wrote: »

Well I can tell ye half the country seems to be holidaying in Wexford at the moment and bottom of the table.

One has to wonder.

Advertisement