Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Healthy, Alive and Terrified: 99.965587% of the Population.
    Were you terrified, patnor?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

gctest50 wrote: »
    Hospitals here cancelled screenings, procedures etc. Once they had to cancel even one procedure they were at capacity

By that logic if the HSE cancels every procedure, discharges all patients, and has every hospital bed empty.... we would still be at capacity?

The hospitals were not at capacity. If they had been there would have been a trolley crisis.
    The HSE even bought extra capacity from the Private sector which wasn't used, so the private hospitals were empty also.
    I'm in the west of Ireland where cases have been low all along, and our hospitals were not full at any point. Even the ICUs were not full.
    Some areas of the country were obviously busy, but we never ran out of beds/equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

By that logic if the HSE cancels every procedure, discharges all patients, and has every hospital bed empty.... we would still be at capacity?

The hospitals were not at capacity. If they had been there would have been a trolley crisis.
    The HSE even bought extra capacity from the Private sector which wasn't used, so the private hospitals were empty also.
    I'm in the west of Ireland where cases have been low all along, and our hospitals were not full at any point. Even the ICUs were not full.
    Some areas of the country were obviously busy, but we never ran out of beds.

Yes, at one stage last week County Cork had no patient in hospital with covid, not sure what the number is now but do feel it's time to accelerate the relaxation of restrictions in the places that are doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    Must be about the 5th time the pharmacists have complained about being left out and of course it was on Claire Byrne, where all things COVID live.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0505/1213816-coronavirus-ireland/

Why are they not being let vaccinate, if supplies are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why are they not being let vaccinate, if supplies are available?
    Yep, they'll most likely be up from June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

FWIW

My wife is a year older and registered the day it opened for her. Got her appointment text a week later.
    The next day, I could register and did.

Fast forward nearly 2 weeks: Wife's appointment in Tralee is tomorrow. I've not heard anything since I registered. As we were trying to both go the same day for our shots, I logged into the website to see what the status of my appointment was.

Well, well.
    I in fact HAVE an appointment, for Saturday. I went through the 'consent' part of the dialog, filled in the little medical questionnaire, no problem.

I called the number to see if I could reschedule for tomorrow so we don't have to make 2 long trips to Tralee, potentially with my wife not feeling well due to the vaccine tomorrow. No chance, the laminated binder jockey said hundreds of thousands trying to reschedule and all they could do was push my appointment out.

What's so scary here, is if I hadn't decided to log in, I wouldn't have found out about my appointment. I expect this is affecting other people, nothing exceptional about my signup experience.

So, if you've signed up, I'd log in and check your appointment status. They're obviously (HSE!) dropping the ball on sending out the notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Igotadose wrote: »
    FWIW

My wife is a year older and registered the day it opened for her. Got her appointment text a week later.

Fast forward nearly 2 weeks: Wife's appointment in Tralee is tomorrow. I've not heard anything since I registered. As we were trying to both go the same day for our shots, I logged into the website to see what the status of my appointment was.

Well, well.
    I in fact HAVE an appointment, for Saturday. I went through the 'consent' part of the dialog, filled in the little medical questionnaire, no problem.

I called the number to see if I could reschedule for tomorrow so we don't have to make 2 long trips to Tralee, potentially with my wife not feeling well due to the vaccine tomorrow. No chance, the laminated binder jockey said hundreds of thousands trying to reschedule and all they could do was push my appointment out.

What's so scary here, is if I hadn't decided to log in, I wouldn't have found out about my appointment. I expect this is affecting other people, nothing exceptional about my signup experience.

So, if you've signed up, I'd log in and check your appointment status. They're obviously (HSE!) dropping the ball on sending out the notifications.

You probably would have got a text today or tomorrow .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You probably would have got a text today or tomorrow .

Still you should log in. Amazingly, right after I posted, I got my confirmatory text. FWIW it's 3 days notice till the appointment. Herself's was over a week's notice.

Pretty sad we have to make two long trips, but so be it.

Still you should log in. Amazingly, right after I posted, I got my confirmatory text. FWIW it's 3 days notice till the appointment. Herself's was over a week's notice.

I had my text and appointment and when i logged in it told me I was awaiting an appointment !! Its unreliable for updates on the vaccine appointments I believe

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I had my text and appointment and when i logged in it told me I was awaiting an appointment !! Its very unreliable I believe

Bashing the HSE's IT infrastructure is like shooting fish in a rain barrel. They've now had 5 months to get it fit for purpose, and it limps along. While the HSE's run by some highly compensated business graduate.

All predictable.

FWIW, a neighbor (older group) had his vaccine. The day of his visit, he got a call from the GP who said his wife (next age group in line but not scheduled) could join him and be vaccinated at the same time. No muss, no fuss.

Not us, though. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Bashing the HSE's IT infrastructure is like shooting fish in a rain barrel. They've now had 5 months to get it fit for purpose, and it limps along. While the HSE's run by some highly compensated business graduate.

All predictable.

FWIW, a neighbor (older group) had his vaccine. The day of his visit, he got a call from the GP who said his wife (next age group in line but not scheduled) could join him and be vaccinated at the same time. No muss, no fuss.

Not us, though. Oh well.

Three months ago we would have driven from Kerry to Donegal for a vaccine .I am thrilled to have it and must say was highly impressed by City West and the people there
    You cant compare a GP who knows his patients with a well oiled very busy MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

All predictable.

Not us, though. Oh well.

GPs are a differently run system, the GP clearly had spare doses and followed the next in line system by inviting the wife. It happened with my own aunt, her husband got Pfizer and while she was there waiting on him the GP had a spare dose from the vial, she was in the next age group and it was either use it or chuck it.

MVCs are run differently, they have their appointments lined up well in advance and have frequent vaccine delvieries

FWIW

Well, well.

I'm sure the people working on HSE live really love being described and a "laminated binder jockey" for following the rules on appointments and simply doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All predictable.

Not us, though. Oh well.

Very little to be worrying about.

GPs are a differently run system,

Well, that's a failing.
    the GP clearly had spare doses and followed the next in line system by inviting the wife. It happened with my own aunt, her husband got Pfizer and while she was there waiting on him the GP had a spare dose from the vial, she was in the next age group and it was either use it or chuck it.
    Sure, we all register and we provide Eircodes. Ya think they could, I dunno, sort by Eircode for the registered people and group the ones together that are living in the same house and due to be vaccinated in the current tranche of candidates?

I mean, *both* my spouse and I registered within a day of each other. Same Eircode, both eligible for the vaccine (we're only a year apart in age and both over 60). This is trivial, you could load the applications into a spreadsheet and sort by the eircode column.
    MVCs are run differently, they have their appointments lined up well in advance and have frequent vaccine delvieries

Bull. I just got my notification *today* for an appointment *Saturday.* Their website said at least 4 days in advance. Oops, that's 3 days away.

These are IT problems and easily solved. Never going to happen here though, we're used to complaining about the HSE and it doesn't change. Why should it - they're always grand over there, so many administrators working 5 days a week and contributing nothing.

And the 'absolutely we can't change your appointment except to push it out for three weeks,' well, there's your "Services" for you.

We're going to try and see tomorrow if somehow I can get a vaccine when I accompany my wife to the center.

I doubt the center will have accurate records on confirmations and cancellations, probably we'll just ask to see if lighting will strike and they can get us both in.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

so I see todays big problem with the vaccine rollout is they don't have an option for couples to share the treasured moment together............looks like all things considered the vaccination program is going well

seamie78 wrote: »
    so I see todays big problem with the vaccine rollout is they don't have an option for couples to share the treasured moment together............looks like all things considered the vaccination program is going well

And if my spouse reacts to the vaccine (unlikely), I get to leave her at home in a couple days for an unnecessary lengthy trip in the car.

Get over yourself.

Well, that's a failing.

Sure, we all register and we provide Eircodes. Ya think they could, I dunno, sort by Eircode for the registered people and group the ones together that are living in the same house and due to be vaccinated in the current tranche of candidates?

I mean, *both* my spouse and I registered within a day of each other. Same Eircode, both eligible for the vaccine (we're only a year apart in age and both over 60). This is trivial, you could load the applications into a spreadsheet and sort by the eircode column.

Bull. I just got my notification *today* for an appointment *Saturday.* Their website said at least 4 days in advance. Oops, that's 3 days away.

These are IT problems and easily solved. Never going to happen here though, we're used to complaining about the HSE and it doesn't change. Why should it - they're always grand over there, so many administrators working 5 days a week and contributing nothing.

And the 'absolutely we can't change your appointment except to push it out for three weeks,' well, there's your "Services" for you.

We're going to try and see tomorrow if somehow I can get a vaccine when I accompany my wife to the center.

I doubt the center will have accurate records on confirmations and cancellations, probably we'll just ask to see if lighting will strike and they can get us both in.

From , Vaccine.hse.ie

After you register,

We will send you text messages with your vaccination appointment details 3 to 7 days before your appointments.

So you got 3 days notice, as mentioned. As for the rest I won't even bother , it stinks of self entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

And if my spouse reacts to the vaccine (unlikely), I get to leave her at home in a couple days for an unnecessary lengthy trip in the car.

Get over yourself.

am I the one who needs to get over themselves, you should maybe remove got from your username and replace with am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Poor you. Hope you can get over it.

• Advertisement

Get over yourself.

They really cannot be expected to cater for couples / partners / families / brothers at the same time . Seriously this a a massive endeavour and it is running amazingly well I must say .
    Honestly just be glad you are both getting a vaccine that will get you out and about once again thankfully
    The site does have a glitch regarding updates on appointments but that’s a minor issue

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Get over yourself.

Same way anyone has to do things like go to work, mind their children, do food shopping, etc, even on the off chance that the vaccinated person they live with has a reaction?

I understand it's annoying to do the drive twice but it's not a big deal, you're both being vaccinated so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Probably a dumb question but I've not been tested yet. I want to get 1 this evening. It says the only walk in testing centres available in Dublin atm are in Blanchardstown and Ballymun, is there any others open or is it a case of mobile centres that change every few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Things back to normal by August says Leo.

Huge sections of the population are dreading it. They are enjoying the lockdown and the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,164 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Huge sections of the population are dreading it. They are enjoying the lockdown and the drama.

Where as some seem to fetish over the idea that people think that way.

"... the vast majority of restrictions you would hope to see gone.”

Fairly vague, though he did mention "a pretty normal Christmas in terms of seeing our friends and our relations.”
    I expect another winter lockdown, but I'd be over the moon if things were this good in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

"... the vast majority of restrictions you would hope to see gone.”

Fairly vague, though he did mention "a pretty normal Christmas in terms of seeing our friends and our relations.”
    I expect another winter lockdown, but I'd be over the moon if things were this good in the winter.

Why do expect another winter lock down?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

FWIW

Well, well.

The next time you are on hold, trying to get through to the HSE, remember it is because someone like this is on giving out that he can't get vaccinated with his wife.

• Advertisement

Why do expect another winter lock down?

Because it's seasonal, and people's immunity is naturally down a bit in winter.
    I mean, we're basically in level 5 now and the cases are miniscule, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were under restrictions then.

It'll hinge a lot on how people's protection holds up from their vaccinations, and if they've been topped up at the right time to give them protection through the winter.

There will always be some cases around, and I suspect a lot of vaccinated people will let their guards down around socializing indoors etc. once jabbed.

I hope to be proved wrong

Advertisement