Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I suspect a lot of vaccinated people will let their guards down around socializing indoors etc. once jabbed.

As they should... what is the point of a vaccine if we intend to live like there is none?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

mloc123 wrote: »
    As they should... what is the point of a vaccine if we intend to live like there is none?

It doesn't confer 100% immunity, and vaccinated people can still spread it to some degree.

It should reduce severity of disease, but I'll certainly be exercising caution around medically vulnerable/elderly.

Don't forget either, many people are unable to get vaccinated at all, and they are quite often very vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It doesn't confer 100% immunity, and vaccinated people can still spread it to some degree.

It should reduce severity of disease, but I'll certainly be exercising caution around medically vulnerable/elderly.

Don't forget either, many people are unable to get vaccinated at all, and they are quite often very vulnerable.

You living like that from here on out ?

You living like that from here on out ?

Until the facts change, yes.

I generally do as I please, and exercise caution around vulnerable people.
    My age group are not affected by it so I still mingle with them outside/with proper ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Because it's seasonal, and people's immunity is naturally down a bit in winter.
    I mean, we're basically in level 5 now and the cases are miniscule, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were under restrictions then.
    I think the vaccine data is looking better & better all the time. We might still have some restrictions (e.g. table-service only in pubs, people encouraged to wear masks or work from home), but I think it's looking increasingly unlikely that we will have severe restrictions for Winter.

The problem we'll have is that the Health Service is always running at 100% for Flu during Winter, and even a small extra few Covid cases would push it over the top. I don't however think that is sufficient reason to impose hugely damaging restrictions on the rest of the economy, if we can get a large proportion of the population vaccinated it's unlikely we will see out-of-control spread (hopefully).

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    I think the vaccine data is looking better & better all the time. We might still have some restrictions (e.g. table-service only in pubs, people encouraged to wear masks or work from home), but I think it's looking increasingly unlikely that we will have severe restrictions for Winter.

The problem we'll have is that the Health Service is always running at 100% for Flu during Winter, and even a small extra few Covid cases would push it over the top. I don't however think that is sufficient reason to impose hugely damaging restrictions on the rest of the economy, if we can get a large proportion of the population vaccinated it's unlikely we will see out-of-control spread (hopefully).

Work from home as much as possible...maybe masks in some public areas.

But table service only? That’s a non runner. Much of hospitality will go under with those kind of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

hmmm wrote: »

The flu has all but been eradicated though as a side affect of the restrictions, flu season will be very mild this winter, no doubt flu will come back but it will be another couple of years before it'll come back in a meaningful way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They have got some mileage out of that promised day

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1389943026429091847

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

The flu has all but been eradicated though as a side affect of the restrictions, flu season will be very mild this winter, no doubt flu will come back but it will be another couple of years before it'll come back in a meaningful way
    I'm not an epedemiologist but I don't think the restrictions that we've had will have any effect on future flu outbreaks unless the restrictions themselves come back. The reason for this is that restrictions only keep the reproduction number below 1 for the duration of those restrictions. As soon as people go back to their normal pattern the R number returns to its normal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

435 positive swabs, 2.24% positivity on 19,406 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 2.7%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Igotadose wrote: »
    FWIW

My wife is a year older and registered the day it opened for her. Got her appointment text a week later.
    The next day, I could register and did.

Fast forward nearly 2 weeks: Wife's appointment in Tralee is tomorrow. I've not heard anything since I registered. As we were trying to both go the same day for our shots, I logged into the website to see what the status of my appointment was.

Well, well.
    I in fact HAVE an appointment, for Saturday. I went through the 'consent' part of the dialog, filled in the little medical questionnaire, no problem.

I called the number to see if I could reschedule for tomorrow so we don't have to make 2 long trips to Tralee, potentially with my wife not feeling well due to the vaccine tomorrow. No chance, the laminated binder jockey said hundreds of thousands trying to reschedule and all they could do was push my appointment out.

What's so scary here, is if I hadn't decided to log in, I wouldn't have found out about my appointment. I expect this is affecting other people, nothing exceptional about my signup experience.

So, if you've signed up, I'd log in and check your appointment status. They're obviously (HSE!) dropping the ball on sending out the notifications.

I'm shocked they didn't facilitate your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I was thinking similarly. With flu not being given a chance to circulate and the vaccines severely reducing the impact of Covid, there's a decent chance that the coming winter will be the "easiest" hospitals have encountered in quite some time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Widespread uptake of flu vaccination should help also.

The only way to keep pressure off hospitals in Winter is widespread immunisation against flu and Covid-19. Not more lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

marno21 wrote: »

The only way to keep pressure off hospitals in Winter is widespread immunization against flu and Covid-19. Not more lockdowns

Myself and kids got flu jab for the first time this year, as COVID made me more aware of disease in general and vaccinations. I'd say we will continue again this year so maybe a long-term benefit of COVID is people's willingness to take flu jab and overall cases will be lower going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Igotadose wrote:
    And if my spouse reacts to the vaccine (unlikely), I get to leave her at home in a couple days for an unnecessary lengthy trip in the car.

Igotadose wrote:
    Get over yourself.

Take your vaccine and be thankful for it is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

While I do think that restrictions went too far, it’s hard to fathom the intelligence (or lack thereof) of people who post stuff like this, as they are laying out all the evidence of why restrictions were a good thing at the same time as ranting against them

It’s something that whooshes way over the heads of those on the conspiracy forum

It is old tactic to try to insult someone when you do not have argument.
    Explain to me how is it possible that western countries with supposedly supreme healthcare and most stringent lockdowns fared much worse than third world countries or what we call developing nations with practically zero healthcare and restrictions or lockdowns.

I mean, we're basically in level 5 now and the cases are miniscule, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were under restrictions then.

It'll hinge a lot on how people's protection holds up from their vaccinations, and if they've been topped up at the right time to give them protection through the winter.

There will always be some cases around, and I suspect a lot of vaccinated people will let their guards down around socializing indoors etc. once jabbed.

I hope to be proved wrong

The purpose of lockdown was to control the virus as much as possible while vaccines were developed and administered.

It’s difficult to see what the purpose of locking down would be when people are vaccinated? The country is haemorrhaging money and we can’t just lock down forever in a bizarre attempt to prevent death.

I do think counselling will be required for people that are too afraid to return to normality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ficheall wrote: »
    Were you terrified, patnor?

I can say that everyone was terrified in the first lockdown as I was going to and from work on empty streets not seeing a soul outside first week. That was when internet was full of clips showing people dropping dead on the streets and mayhem in Italy.
    Only that people start seeing things for what they are. People were not dropping dead and bodies did not pile up on streets and videos from Italy only showed what is going on there almost every time there is bad flu strain circulating in those regions.
    Fast-forward to today when we are still in lockdown but traffic is pretty much on par of what it used to be before, only that we cant go to certain shops, restaurants or pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It'll hinge a lot on how people's protection holds up from their vaccinations, and if they've been topped up at the right time to give them protection through the winter.

There will always be some cases around, and I suspect a lot of vaccinated people will let their guards down around socializing indoors etc. once jabbed.

I hope to be proved wrong

I dont think there is any question that the vaccines are working and are continuing to work and there is no evidence that immunity is fading in fact it can be seen that the vaccines are even eliciting killer T cell response which is good for long term immunity. Even looking at the figures today everything is going in the right direction. The idea of vaccination is to allow people back to a normal life and as we will all vaccinated by winter I assume that the winter will be relatively normal.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1389222590615597063

The purpose of lockdown was to control the virus as much as possible while vaccines were developed and administered.

It’s difficult to see what the purpose of locking down would be when people are vaccinated? The country is haemorrhaging money and we can’t just lock down forever in a bizarre attempt to prevent death.

I couldn't agree more, I think lockdown should have been eased significantly by now, and I think the shutting of retail all year was contemptible.

This government has made many mistakes, and given how bad our health services are I foresee a relatively small number of cases in winter scaring the government into more of the same drastic measures.

Fingers crossed it doesn't go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

patnor1011 wrote: »
    It is old tactic to try to insult someone when you do not have argument.
    Explain to me how is it possible that western countries with supposedly supreme healthcare and most stringent lockdowns fared much worse than third world countries or what we call developing nations with practically zero healthcare and restrictions or lockdowns.

You are aware of what is happening in India at the moment and previously happened in Brazil?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Igotadose wrote: »

Bull. I just got my notification *today* for an appointment *Saturday.* Their website said at least 4 days in advance. Oops, that's 3 days away.

The confirmation I got said notification will be 3 to 7 days.

You seem to want a system created to suit your particular circumstances.
    Just get, or don't get, the vaccine but don't expect to jump the queue just because your wife's in a different date.
    We're very similar here but will each go when appointed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah my parents signed up within minutes of each other (both the same age), Dad got his appointment for the Monday (had registered Friday morning) and Mum got hers for Tuesday. Just how they do it I guess. I had to bring Mum down and the only gripe I'd have about the centre was they were an hour behind on appointments meaning there was a fairly big queue. Luckily as Mum needed a wheelchair we got in and out a bit quicker but Dad was waiting about an hour and 30 mins for his jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Akabusi wrote: »
    You are aware of what is happening in India at the moment and previously happened in Brazil?

Brazil is 13th in the world for deaths per million, India is 114th.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Things back to normal by August says Leo.

Huge sections of the population are dreading it. They are enjoying the lockdown and the drama.

The only person who talks about enjoying lockdown is you. Seriously. It’s boring at this stage coming into this thread and seeing the same sh*te over and over again.

Some people are secretly dreading the lockdown to be over so they can’t throw their noses up at others who wanted to do what was best for them and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

435 positive swabs, 2.24% positivity on 19,406 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 2.7%

Not bad at all

The Wednesday effect might be reserved for tomorrow though with the bank holiday this week

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

marno21 wrote: »

Do you think that's likely, though? Or is there some push planned for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Eod100 wrote: »
    They have got some mileage out of that promised day

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1389943026429091847

I wish they brought in a new bank holiday going forward. One in July every year would be nice. I think we deserve it after going through all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

RGARDINR wrote: »

I wish they brought in a new bank holiday going forward. One in July every year would be nice. I think we deserve it after going through all this.

I think mid to end September would be nice myself. That or in mid February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Let’s move paddy’s day to September, just for this year.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement