Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Edwin Poots Vs Jeffrey Donaldson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Donaldson is a former UUP man, prob not viewed as being either hard-line enough, nor a bonafide DUPer to many members.

Poots is one of the madcap creationists I mentioned earlier..

Like being asked to choose between a dog or a cat shît sandwich. If this is the calibre or new potential leaders, the DUP are in turmoil it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Sir Jeffrey if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

McMurphy wrote: »
    Donaldson is a former UUP man, prob not viewed as being either hard-line enough, nor a bonafide DUPer to many members.

Like being asked to choose between a dog or a cat shît sandwich. If this is the calibre or new potential leaders, the DUP are in turmoil it would seem.

DUP have a few handy lads but none of them are MLAs and none of them are hardline enough to win over the handbanger element

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

Sir Jeffrey if you don't mind.

Jeffrey 'Daniel' O'Donaldson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Like being asked to choose between a dog or a cat shsandwich. If this is the calibre or new potential leaders, the DUP are in turmoil it would seem.
    Donaldson and Foster left the UUP at the same time actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

Sir Jeffrey won't take the leadership firstly he is an MP and not an MLA, you need an MLA to lead the party and hold the first minister role.

If he was co-oped into the assembley they would have to fire an MLA and this would create a bi-election in Lagan Valley and with the shifts in demographics there is the potential to loose the seat if voting shifted to UUP and alliance who had an increase in 9k in votes in the last election

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Reading this thread....we're no more ready for a united Ireland than they are.

Reading this thread....we're no more ready for a united Ireland than they are.

We are not, but we need to start the work for one as it is coming and most unionists can see that, hence what is going on up here at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Bambi wrote: »
    DUP have a few handy lads but none of them are MLAs and none of them are hardline enough to win over the handbanger element

Wait, there's an element of their support base that aren't headbangers?

Many down here don't get how intrinsically intertwined the DUP is with the Free Presbyterian Church, and how deeply this affects their personal beliefs and political ideology. There is no comparitor to point to in the South.

Their deep religious faith feeds their absolute self-belief that they are right, and everybody else is not just wrong, but lesser.
    Here in the South, there is a tendency to tar all Protestants with the same brush, but the Free Pre's don't think much of the other denominations, and as I said, they think very, very differently.

I honestly don't know how this religious fundamentalism can ever be reconciled with anything resembling a united Ireland.
    What I do know, is that the "Sure they can all feck off back to Scotland/England if they don't like it" position is infantile nonsense.

Any UI would have to accomodate them, but short of Westminster adopting Sharia Law for the entire UK, I just can't see how they could ever be brought on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

oisinog wrote: »
    We are not, but we need to start the work for one as it is coming and most unionists can see that, hence what is going on up here at the minute

True but the visceral hatred on display here....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

oisinog wrote: »
    Sir Jeffrey won't take the leadership firstly he is an MP and not an MLA, you need an MLA to lead the party and hold the first minister role.

That isn't a rule it's just usual DUP practice but nothing stopping them from going the same way as Sinn Fein.

Except not wanting to do anything the same as SF I suppose

Wait, there's an element of their support base that aren't headbangers?

Many down here don't get how intrinsically intertwined the DUP is with the Free Presbyterian Church, and how deeply this affects their personal beliefs and political ideology. There is no comparitor to point to in the South.

Their deep religious faith feeds their absolute self-belief that they are right, and everybody else is not just wrong, but lesser.
    Here in the South, there is a tendency to tar all Protestants with the same brush, but the Free Pre's don't think much of the other denominations, and as I said, they think very, very differently.

I honestly don't know how this religious fundamentalism can ever be reconciled with anything resembling a united Ireland.
    What I do know, is that the "Sure they can all feck off back to Scotland/England if they don't like it" position is infantile nonsense.

Any UI would have to accomodate them, but short of Westminster adopting Sharia Law for the entire UK, I just can't see how they could ever be brought on board.

The Free Ps only have 15k in membership and you also need to remember that 98% are not involved in politics.

The biggest challange is edcuating the Loyalists they have no leadership and some have the tendancy to follow the wrong people such as Jamie Bryson who are leading them down the road to a life of crimal records which starts a cycle in that community.

Some community workers are doing great work but you have the people who are linked to east belfast UDA and end up dealing or taking drugs

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That isn't a rule it's just usual DUP practice but nothing stopping them from going the same way as Sinn Fein.

Except not wanting to do anything the same as SF I suppose

It would take a change on the DUP rules that as far as I know can only be done at a party conference

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is sad to see, and ironic that the same people putting out the hate will claim them as fellow Irishmen in a minute.

It is a small miniorty of the people and the trouble is this is stemming from a number of clampets on social media

I would be deemed a Nationalist but I have friends all over the community and the digust that my loyalist friends show to the people trying to take over the loyalist community is shocking.

How many unionist polititions where out trying to talk their community out of the riots. At the same time look at SDLP or Sinn Fein with young Nationalists try to go out on the street to riot. The difference is night and day for everyone to see.

Where's this "visceral hatred" on display, it's absolutely amazing that a few people keep claiming this and when asked to point it out, they then vanish like a fart in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

breezy1985 wrote: »

Don't think so. It's a rule I think. If Gavin Robinson MP were to stand he would cause a by-election in his constituency as he would have to stand down to run in a leadership contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Where's this "visceral hatred" on display, it's absolutely amazing that a few people keep claiming this and when asked to point it out, they then vanish like a fart in the wind.

In essence they're just doses looking for attention. The DUP are backward dinosaurs. The majority in the UK and Ireland think that and that's where the stick they get comes from, nothing to do with them being Unionists, all to do with them being embarrassing idiots.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    In essence they're just doses looking for attention. The DUP are backward dinosaurs. The majority in the UK and Ireland think that and that's where the stick they get comes from, nothing to do with them being Unionists, all to do with them being embarrassing idiots.

Pointing out that they are conservative, bigoted and many of them are creationists isn't hatred, that's just stating the bloody obvious.

I don't hate unionists or dupers, but I'm quite within my rights to factually state some of their ethics and beliefs belong to a different century and possibly planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

There's none, but one or two posters on here who just can't abide the idea of a thread on the North not involving Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think you're getting your threads mixed up, where did you see "visceral hatred on display here" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There's none, but one or two posters on here who just can't abide the idea of a thread on the North not involving Sinn Fein.

I think they fear that their 'They are the same up there' mantra may be rumbled if a thread on the DUP is allowed proceed without getting SF included.
    Several attempts now to divert the thread bu, it has to be said, the usual obsessive posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For those who are really up on NI politics who would be the typical Alliance voter?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mariaalice wrote: »
    For those who are really up on NI politics who would be the typical Alliance voter?

Centrist Unionists; more likely from the professional classes. This would be widening out a bit over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

L1011 wrote: »
    Centrist Unionists; more likely from the professional classes. This would be widening out a bit over time.

Yes. I think younger people overall as well.

I dont think there is a typical Alliance voter. At the last west minister elections I voted Allance as I considered them the best option in Lagan Valley.

I would say they attract the more pro europe unionist votes as they have no other party that would be close to their thinking. You would also get a number of Nationalists voteing for them when they see them as the best option in their constituency

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Moderate unionists who don't align with the DUPs views on social or cultural issues (e.g. pro gay marriage).

Pro-european unionists too.

I think they would also have voters who are ambivalent on the constitutional question, and would have voters from both the protestant and catholic communities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is this bad or good? I read that the fella odds on to replace her is far more hard-line than her.

Advertisement