Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Nah it'll be a replacement, it'll be the same old ****e too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Surprised they’re turning on her, she perfectly represents what they are all about- intransigence, blind nativism, bigotry and flag-waving.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shelga wrote: »
    Surprised they’re turning on her, she perfectly represents what they are all about- intransigence, blind nativism, bigotry and flag-waving.

She can never be phased either. Always seems to have an answer when she’s challenged in the media on the most inhumane views.

It’s hard to get many like that.

Looking forward to seeing what head-the-balls go for the leadership contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Faugheen wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing what head-the-balls go for the leadership contest.

Kinda hoping it's Sammy and they swiftly burn out in a fireball of their own hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

She can never be phased either. Always seems to have an answer when she’s challenged in the media on the most inhumane views.

It’s hard to get many like that.

True. Very had to get politicians who don't crumble or fly off the handle when faced with tough questions. Adams was the same. I don't agree with either of their parties or what they represent but they have unique talents of defending the indefensible

• Advertisement

Kinda hoping it's Sammy and they swiftly burn out in a fireball of their own hate.

Hopefully it is him and they quickly implode. I don't think they're that stupid though

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

crazy 88 wrote: »
    I don't think they're that stupid though

They've got Edwin Poots. Anything's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

She was always a bit too liberal for the DUPs liking in fairness, I dont think she really properly hated the gays or the taigs

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Hopefully it is him and they quickly implode. I don't think they're that stupid though

Well if the final straw was her abstaining instead of voting against a ban on gay conversion therapy then anything really is possible.

Thinking Arlene Foster is too moderate is really something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Both the Yorkshire Ripper and Pol Pot are dead so that helps
    narrow the field a bit for speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bambi wrote: »
    She was always a bit too liberal for the DUPs liking in fairness, I dont think she really properly hated the gays or the taigs

She abstained on the conversion therapy vote recently, that stuck in the craw of the regular extremists in that party.
    edit; Faugheen got there with that point before me.

Hurrache wrote: »
    She abstained on the conversion therapy vote recently, that stuck in the craw of the regular extremists in that party.
    edit; Faugheen got there with that point before me.

I don't know much about opinions in the north but do they actually think they have enough backward thinking voters with that frame of mind to keep them in power?? Definitely not a strong vote for that kind of stuff in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I love how the DUP have spent the last 4 years working their way into this position and all off a sudden now they're like "oh my god, were f*cked!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Well if the final straw was her abstaining instead of voting against a ban on gay conversion therapy then anything really is possible.

Thinking Arlene Foster is too moderate is really something.

And then you have Jim Allister and his loopers even further to the right of the DUP.
    Mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Whoever replaces her will be worst and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Foster is definitely too liberal for them. Jeffrey Donaldson is aswell so it's not going to be him.

Who are the contenders? It won't be Sammy Wilson. Possibly would've been Nigel Dodds but he wasn't elected (he's in house of Lords).

I'd say the next leader will merely be a puppet for the less palatable hard liners. Someone like Carla Lockhart. And they will trumpet the move as progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We can hope that it will continue the decline of the DUP (only caveat is that we don't want the TUV rising in its place) as the sooner the sectarian parties in the North are off the pitch the better.

As a result, not particularly bothered by her replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

banie01 wrote: »
    Much as I'd love the entertainment value of the Gammon idiot ;)
    Doesn't the leader of the DUP need to be am MLA?
    So that would exclude peers and MPs.

Poutts or Weir are surely angling for it?

Do you mean Edwin Poots ? Think he has cancer so may not be able for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Obviously not bigoted enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Arlene is far too reasonable for the DUP.

I tended to always assume she was 'walking the line' between being fairly copped on & maintaining power by playing to an in-house DUP audience.

If they go too extreme with their choice of leadership, they'll likely reduce their vote a lot too. I'd rather the more moderate unionists represented better though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

75% with no confidence in her...I think there is a big lurch to the right and the TUV coming here if the leadership struggle doesn't tear them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Arlene is far too reasonable for the DUP.

I tended to always assume she was 'walking the line' between being fairly copped on & maintaining power by playing to an in-house DUP audience.

If they go too extreme with their choice of leadership, they'll likely reduce their vote a lot too. I'd rather the more moderate unionists represented better though.

Its hard to be moderate when you basically told business to suck it up with Brexit but then went out out to bat for drug dealers who realised that the pesky sea border made importing coke a lot harder :D

Plus marching the troops up the hill with over the last few weeks didnt have any effect which is always worrying for the DUP and their community worker friends

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bambi wrote: »

Thats why they are moving against her

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know he’s not an MLA but they should roll out Gregory Campbell for the craic. He’s the biggest bigot of the lot.

The more extreme the leader, the more likely it'll be the Alliance Party and UUP in office next time around, so bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Quite possibly, and they don't have the insight to see that heading further back in time will eventually kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The one 'moderate' they have, MP, Gavin Robinson can't really stand because he'll cause a by-election and probably hand the seat to the Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The more extreme the leader, the more likely it'll be the Alliance Party and UUP in office next time around, so bring it on.

I'd say the constant shouting for a border poll will see the DUP gaining support the next time out but then I would say that wouldn't I.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is this the end of Arlene Forster?

Whoever wants to see the end of Arlene needs their head examined or new glasses or both.

And that's without even clarifying which end of her you want to have a look at!

rear-end, front-end, whatever. Not for me. Different strokes for different folks though I guess!

• Advertisement

I'm wondering if Blackadder's aunt is available to stand?

Advertisement