Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Any UI would have to accomodate them.

There will be no special treatment for that bunch in a United Ireland. If anything a United Ireland will be a golden opportunity to further secularise the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,132 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There will be no special treatment for that bunch in a United Ireland. If anything a United Ireland will be a golden opportunity to further secularise the whole country.

I'll be voting against any UI that involves pandering to flat earth homophobes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Some outlets are saying Edwin Poots will be elected as leader.
    Poots comes from world he believes to be less than 10,000 years old - where a woman's role has traditionally been to take care of the children and make the tea in the Orange hall for the men returning from a hard days marching.
    When Foster was elected as leader in 2016, he quipped that her greatest achievement was as a mother to her kids.
    True or not, a very sexist thing to say.

Yer Edwin Poots makes Elmer Fudd pass for a Nobel in Astrophysics. They both have outstanding names, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭golfball37

Gas to think RTÉ censored Joe Brolly because he claimed the dup were homophobic, meanwhile they get rid of their leader because she wasn’t homophobic enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Edwin Poots Vs Jeffrey Donaldson

Surely Jeffrey Donaldson would be the stand out candidate to become DUP leader as opposed to first minister.

A reasonable moderate.

Probably has no chance as he's old UUP and not hardline enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

seligehgit wrote: »
    Surely Jeffrey Donaldson would be the stand out candidate to become DUP leader as opposed to first minister.

A reasonable moderate.

Probably has no chance as he's old UUP and not hardline enough.

Oust Arlene because she isn't homophobic enough, replace her with Jeffrey. You couldn't write this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Jeffrey in debate is much more formidable in an 'old' Northern Irish backwards politics way. I think DUP will lose voters to Alliance going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

briany wrote: »
    None of you asked for it, but here's Jamie Bryson's take

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1387433348663029761

Not that Bryson ever had much of a mask to slip off, but plainly stating that Unionism ought to be against the GFA is really laying the cards out on the table.

I forgot all about that clown. The fact he has any sway in discussion of NI politics is nearly as bad as having a first minister who thinks that god buried the dinosaur skeletons as a test.

• Administrators Posts: 53,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

briany wrote: »
    None of you asked for it, but here's Jamie Bryson's take

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1387433348663029761

Not that Bryson ever had much of a mask to slip off, but plainly stating that Unionism ought to be against the GFA is really laying the cards out on the table.

Bryson does not speak for unionism.

Compared to nationalism the unionist side of things is a lot more fragmented and diverse in terms of the opinions held. Bryson is only really indicative, and representative, of one section of it.

Even the DUP, with their electoral success the past 15-20 years, have never really been broadly representative of the unionist community. There are more unionists that don't vote for them that do, it's just that the majority that don't vote for them don't vote for anyone else instead. There's a huge silent chunk of moderate unionists who struggle with NI politics.

awec wrote: »

Compared to nationalism the unionist side of things is a lot more fragmented and diverse in terms of the opinions held. Bryson is only really indicative, and representative, of one section of it.

Even the DUP, with their electoral success the past 15-20 years, have never really been broadly representative of the unionist community. There are more unionists that don't vote for them that do, it's just that the majority that don't vote for them don't vote for anyone else instead. There's a huge silent chunk of moderate unionists who struggle with NI politics.

So this silent majority have a chance to vote against the Young Earth homophobes but decide to stay home.

Doesn't say a lot about these "good" unionists in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I remember watching Poots in an interview a few years ago, during one of the UK general elections. I have to say, as bad as the likes of Sammy Wilson is, he at least seems to have a bit of a charisma and fieriness (in DUP terms of course). Poots on the other hand comes across as remarkably joyless and dour, in that almost cartoonishly Ulster Protestant sort of way (its a stereotype, I know, but he really lives it out). Very much from the "lock up the playgrounds on Sunday" stripe of unionism. The creationist stuff really just completes the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't follow NI politics that closely so I'm finding it hard to understand the DUP. Did they completely miss the fact that Boris and his cabinet don't care one jot about the north and neither do the tory voters? The quasi border was always going to be between the two islands because the only people that doesn't suit is the NI unionists (ie a very small minority) Brexit was always going to be an attempt to square a circle for the unionists but surely they could have played it better than this?

• Administrators Posts: 53,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

breezy1985 wrote: »
    So this silent majority have a chance to vote against the Young Earth homophobes but decide to stay home.

Doesn't say a lot about these "good" unionists in my book

Vote against by voting for who? Alliance? They lack viable candidates in most places. UUP? Basically an uninspiring party of pensioners these days. PUP? Too much baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

golfball37 wrote: »
    Gas to think RTÉ censored Joe Brolly because he claimed the dup were homophobic, meanwhile they get rid of their leader because she wasn’t homophobic enough

Brolly has become a bit of a parrot when it comes to the DUP , everyone knows the DUP are very socially conservative ?

pointing the finger at them for their traditional views on matters sexuality is a bit jaded at this stage and not exactly insightful commentary

Vote against by voting for who? Alliance? They lack viable candidates in most places. UUP? Basically an uninspiring party of pensioners these days. PUP? Too much baggage.

What is a "viable" candidate ?
    If there is an Alliance or green candidate or a UUP one who is not a homophobic science denying nut then yes.

I have rarely felt represented by any political party and have often voted against not for so I think there is no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

retalivity wrote: »
    I forgot all about that clown. The fact he has any sway in discussion of NI politics is nearly as bad as having a first minister who thinks that god buried the dinosaur skeletons as a test.

The responsibility for any sway that absolute no-mark seems to have in NI politics lies firmly at the feet of Stephen Nolan who has continually given him a platform far outstripping his real world influence to create more view-generating controversy for his own awful shows

a recent example of that " silent chunk " was how the ulster farmers association came out in opposition to brexit , the ulster farmers association is overwhelmingly unionist yet appears quite practical when it comes to North South relations , this is a rural constituency quite obviously yet is not a " hard brexit " advocacy group by any means so its indeed true that many unionists are not DUP dinosaur types

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Shelga wrote: »
    Surprised they’re turning on her, she perfectly represents what they are all about- intransigence, blind nativism, bigotry and flag-waving.

Dont worry there is alot worse than arlene lurking withen the Dup

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    pointing the finger at them for their traditional views on matters sexuality is a bit jaded at this stage and not exactly insightful commentary

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

a recent example of that " silent chunk " was how the ulster farmers association came out in opposition to brexit , the ulster farmers association is overwhelmingly unionist yet appears quite practical when it comes to North South relations , this is a rural constituency quite obviously yet is not a " hard brexit " advocacy group by any means so its indeed true that many unionists are not DUP dinosaur types

Why do these people stay silent and allow the lunatics to run the place into the ground? Or back to the 70s...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,709 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Brolly has become a bit of a parrot when it comes to the DUP , everyone knows the DUP are very socially conservative ?

I think anyone in the LGBTQ community will tell you the DUP are very much homophobic in denial of rights and in many statement and comments they have made.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why do these people stay silent and allow the lunatics to run the place into the ground? Or back to the 70s...

I suppose farmers are usually religious and Protestant farmers in Northern Ireland like some of the DUP manifesto?

The UUP are pretty mainstream on many issues, strange they can't make some kind of comeback, poor leaders I suppose?

I think anyone in the LGBTQ community will tell you the DUP are very much homophobic in denial of rights and in many statement and comments they have made.

I'm saying brolly braying about what everyone knows is tiresome .

The DUP won't be influenced by WOKEness, they aren't like our political class, far from it

Eh?

It's pointless doing what Brolly does, progressive cultural issues are not important to DUP voters

It's pointless doing what Brolly does, progressive cultural issues are not important to DUP voters

Homophobia needs called out until it stops occurring. DUP voters will have to adjust or get left even further behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bizarre to classify equality as a cultural issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 67,709 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm saying brolly braying about what everyone knows is tiresome .

The DUP won't be influenced by WOKEness, they aren't like our political class, far from it

Human rights for a sizeable cohort of people is 'wokeness'? :):)

Ger off the soap box, the DUP are as open to criticism as anybody else is.

Never heard the bate of that....'shure they are Nazi's, it's what they do, leave em alone...everybody knows what they're like'. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Behind closed doors vote among the MLPs and MPs. Not unlike the voting for the pope

I wonder what other party on the island has a selection process something like that. Maybe anointing there leaders and then having a confirmation vote..........

Army Council anointment, one candidate put forward to Ard Deis for confirmation.....
    Nah it couldn't be

Slava Ukrainii

Homophobia needs called out until it stops occurring. DUP voters will have to adjust or get left even further behind.

Elaborate on what you mean by "left behind " ?

• Advertisement

Human rights for a sizeable cohort of people is 'wokeness'? :):)

Ger off the soap box, the DUP are as open to criticism as anybody else is.

Never heard the bate of that....'shure they are Nazi's, it's what they do, leave em alone...everybody knows what they're like'. :):)

So you think yelling " homophoebe " at the DUP is likely to achieve something Politically?

Advertisement