Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options
1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

The opposite will likely happen, the DUP is going full National Front, they might not have as many seats but those they'll have will be held by the biggest bigots and There'll be no effort to hide their ties to the UDA,

:confused: There hasn't been any effort to hide their ties to paramilitaries thus far, never mind in the future.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/02/25/news/dup-holds-meeting-with-loyalist-paramilitary-representatives-over-brexit-protocol-2236477/

So, if the DUP want to kick it up a notch over current conduct, they'd almost need to be doing pressers in balaclavas.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

briany wrote: »
    :confused: There hasn't been any effort to hide their ties to paramilitaries thus far, never mind in the future.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/02/25/news/dup-holds-meeting-with-loyalist-paramilitary-representatives-over-brexit-protocol-2236477/

So, if the DUP want to kick it up a notch over current conduct, they'd almost need to be doing pressers in balaclavas.

Looking at the situation they find themselves in, I can see them slowly pulling the horns in and trying to salvage something in the next election. We started with 'the Protocol' must go and now we are at 'we need significant changes'.

EU and Britain playing them like schoolchildren tbh. A hot July, loads of hate expelled and then it will quiet down to rinse and repeat NEVER NEVER NEVER...ah shure go on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looking at the situation they find themselves in, I can see them slowly pulling the horns in and trying to salvage something in the next election. We started with 'the Protocol' must go and now we are at 'we need significant changes'.

EU and Britain playing them like schoolchildren tbh. A hot July, loads of hate expelled and then it will quiet down to rinse and repeat NEVER NEVER NEVER...ah shure go on'.

The hot July 12ths are the worst. Brings out all the Tennents-drinking, red hand chest tattooed, roided up but still with a pot belly, shaven-headed, purple-faced, screaming jackanapes out to the front of those parades. Really what's needed there is a good rainy day, because if it's a hot one, every moderate Unionist must know that the scenes which will be broadcast on the nightly news will be doing them no favours whatsoever in the PR department.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Imagine lacking in so much curiosity of the indigenous language of the place you live in; especially seeing as your own blinking username owes itself to the language you denigrate and claim as "historic" and comparable to Latin.

Then again, with the county of his father battering his own today, perhaps he's feeling sore.

You make my case for me.
    You refer to my forum name downcow. Seems it comes from the two old languages we are referring to Dun Bos. Origins in Irish and Latin.
    As for me being upset my county took a battering. I had no idea it was even playing a game but I’ll lose no sleep about it taking a battering.

briany wrote: »
    The hot July 12ths are the worst. Brings out all the Tennents-drinking, red hand chest tattooed, roided up but still with a pot belly, shaven-headed, purple-faced, screaming jackanapes out to the front of those parades. Really what's needed there is a good rainy day, because if it's a hot one, every moderate Unionist must know that the scenes which will be broadcast on the nightly news will be doing them no favours whatsoever in the PR department.

:D:D
    By 'hot' I actually meant ramping up the bonfire hatefest and wrecking their own areas. But yeh, the thing Unionism needs now, if only they could help themselves, is a perid of licking their multiple wounds and being quiet. Let things settle down and rebuild. Not sure they will, but it usually the way after the NEVER NEVER NEVER's

• Advertisement

Choochtown wrote: »
    What exactly is the DUP's community? and how on earth do you know that the agreement was without their support?

A very weird term to use about a political party.

I've never heard anyone refer to "Fianna Gael's community" or "The Conservative Party's community"

It was clumsy by me. I meant the unionist community.

I have no problem condemning the glorifying of terrorists. I think you’ll agree it happens for more in your community. Very recent example with the Story funeral. And my rural area has recently been festooned with flags remembering republican terrorists
    All wrong and all disgraceful whichever side

I wonder long term should a resettlement program be set up for unionists to move to Britain. It could be an option after a unity referendum that in my view should be considered as part of the deal.

Do you realise how sectarian that is. I guess you are trolling. You will have a very crowded island if you apply that rule to the rest of the world. But I guess you won’t lol

I think it is wrong not to help people who wish to leave but don't have the means. Theformer leader of the DUP would have the means but many wouldn't.

I would be in favour of helping people who no longer want to live in NI after a BP too.

You don't, fair enough.

Should we have that scheme now for nationalists that would like to move south?

The only way this whole thing will move on if the NI electorate start voting Alliance on one side and the SDLP on the other. Unless there is a dramatic shift in attitudes of SF and the DUP I would guess there there could be many more years of fluting around. As shown with something so simple (inconsequential) on the face of it such as an ILA - low on effectiveness, but high symbolism.

If the DUP gets more of a 'mandate' because their stance what will it say? That Jeffery Donaldson fella is no eejit. He would be up there with Gerry Adams in political terms imo - a heavyweight.

He has the word play, ability to dodge questions, and being awkward when it suits to play to the grassroots. He knows the NI politics playbook. Plus he can be articulate and presents well in debates.

If I was of a NI Republican persuasion I would be worried about Donaldson in the Unionist hot seat. Poots would have been much easier adversary to face.

Yeah it’s a funny old world.
    DUP control makes UI more likely. SF control makes it less likely

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »

Yes. I think we should after a failed border poll. I really don't want to force people to live where they say they can't.

How's things since the court verdict? You've been quiet about it for one that was so confident about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

They're already in their own country, aren't they? :confused:

You're sounding like the Idiot Flute Band playing 'The Famines over, why don't they go home' in front of a Catholic Church in an Irish city, in Ireland. :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMZlkhRllU

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think you’ll agree it happens for more in your community.

The terrorists your community celebrate were also in the RUC/UDR/BA. Irish Republicans would have a long way to go before they'd constitute a drop in the vast ocean of terrorism the British state and its proxies have unleashed on the world.

You haven't a leg to stand on when it comes to preaching at people about violence/terrorism and its celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The opposite will likely happen, the DUP is going full National Front, they might not have as many seats but those they'll have will be held by the biggest bigots and There'll be no effort to hide their ties to the UDA,
    GFA is going nowhere and any vote on it would pass either side of the border with the only likely opponents in the Republic being FG

The GFA is in place, and there is no need to vote on it.

I don't know what you are talking about, as any other vote isn't likely to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

blanch152 wrote: »
    The GFA is in place, and there is no need to vote on it.

I don't know what you are talking about, as any other vote isn't likely to pass.

Poster wanted to scrap GFA to lick up to Jazzy Jeff, Any changes to the GFA would require a vote both sides of the border, the only parties with any seats who are against the GFA are the DUP and FG,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Did I miss something? What's FG beef with the GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

circadian wrote: »
    Did I miss something? What's FG beef with the GFA?

None, just some random poster's kneejerk anti-FGism.

Arlene going out in blaze of _____ (fill in the missing word yourself)

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1435362944968241152

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - The circumstances surrounding the death of DUP MLA Christopher Stalford have not been reported yet. Please cite links to reliable media sources and avoid speculation

Advertisement