Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Augme

Faugheen wrote: »
    She can never be phased either. Always seems to have an answer when she’s challenged in the media on the most inhumane views.

It’s hard to get many like that.

Looking forward to seeing what head-the-balls go for the leadership contest.

It is a big help when you don't have to pretend to be humane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Anyone who suspects Arlene is being given the boot for someone more moderate really is on a hiding to nothing.

I'd be willing to bet they're chasing the hardline vote that is drifting to TUV, presuming the Alliance drifters are a lost cause, and thinking the UUP are an irrelevant lame duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I know he’s not an MLA but they should roll out Gregory Campbell for the craic. He’s the biggest bigot of the lot.

No, the worst by a long shot was/is Willie McRae.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Anyone who suspects Arlene is being given the boot for someone more moderate really is on a hiding to nothing.

I'd be willing to bet they're chasing the hardline vote that is drifting to TUV, presuming the Alliance drifters are a lost cause, and thinking the UUP are an irrelevant lame duck.

Traditional Unionist Voice, aka Traditional Unionist Vocabulary (No, Never, No etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If Foster does go, she can do safe in the knowledge that there’ll be a mural of her one day on the Falls and in the Bog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Ashes to ashes ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'd say the constant shouting for a border poll will see the DUP gaining support the next time out but then I would say that wouldn't I.

Every election since I've been born I've heard it said that the DUP (and UUP before that) will gain votes because they'll portray the election as an existential fight for the union. It has never come true.

Even then it doesn't really make any sense. Is there any evidence of a sizeable cohort of voters who are currently staying at home or voting Alliance who will now vote DUP because the DUP say the union is under threat? If so, why didn't they vote DUP in the last 20 elections they've been saying the union is under threat?

It's like "Italy will come good in the next few years" in the rugby. It may have been a reasonable statement decades ago, but it has never come to pass and is now a cliché that people throw out without thinking.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would have been Edwin Poots for next leader I bet if he hadn’t had the health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

...if you think Arlene is bad...

(She is...but there is much much worse than her in the DUP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Every election since I've been born I've heard it said that the DUP (and UUP before that) will gain votes because they'll portray the election as an existential fight for the union. It has never come true.

Even then it doesn't really make any sense. Is there any evidence of a sizeable cohort of voters who are currently staying at home or voting Alliance who will now vote DUP because the DUP say the union is under threat? If so, why didn't they vote DUP in the last 20 elections they've been saying the union is under threat?

It's like "Italy will come good in the next few years" in the rugby. It may have been a reasonable statement decades ago, but it has never come to pass and is now a cliché that people throw out without thinking.

They couldn’t get the votes out (if they existed) to save North Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Arlene is far too reasonable for the DUP.

I tended to always assume she was 'walking the line' between being fairly copped on & maintaining power by playing to an in-house DUP audience.

If they go too extreme with their choice of leadership, they'll likely reduce their vote a lot too. I'd rather the more moderate unionists represented better though.

Totally agree. I'm not someone who believes that the DUP truly are so blinkered that they cannot recognise certain political realities in the present day. Sure, there would be individuals within the party like that, but there has to also be many who see the writing on the wall. Ideological British Unionism is now one of three main political stances in NI, alongside ideological Irish Nationalism and neither of the above, and none of them hold a majority of voters, and we can see that in the makeup of the current NI Assembly. So it would be a kamikaze move from the DUP to become more extreme and regressive in their views and make their cause even more of a minority one than it already is.

This is where Sinn Fein have outflanked the DUP somewhat because Sinn Fein have aligned themselves more to things like being pro-choice or same sex marriage. Things that younger voters are generally in favour of but the DUP cannot countenance.

What the DUP need to do is purge the likes of Sammy Wilson from their party, and let him go off and join the TUV if he wants, and start making appeals to the wider voter base in Northern Ireland.

It'll be interesting to see who they choose as their next leader if Foster is voted out, as it will be highly indicative, to me, of what direction they intend to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Listen I’ve done some silly things in my time but even taking off all your clothes and cavorting in a field isn’t on the same scandalous level of thinking you’re the next Peter Canavan and you the DUP leader. Although she took her point well, it’s the next step to a United Ireland. You wouldn’t have caught the Reverend with a size 5 in his hands. She has to go.”

:D

https://tyronetribulations.com/2021/04/27/arlene-in-leadership-bother-after-scoring-a-fine-point-during-kickabout-with-michelle/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Paisley junior maybe

Paisley junior maybe

No chance.

Paisley junior maybe
    I would honestly doubt it.
    The multiple free holidays etc were not a good look.
    Living of the family name...in Ballymena area they would elect an inanimate carbon rod if it was a Paisley...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

She should have walked after RHI (maybe then the DUP calls for O'Neill to go over Storey might not have been comincal), but every realistic alternative option for leader is worse and almost certainly going to bring Stormont down again for a time (a year or so probably), to make it look like they're trying to get the NI Protocol changed. Leaving NI direct ruled from Westminster during a severe crisis.

gmisk wrote: »
    I would honestly doubt it.
    The multiple free holidays etc were not a good look.
    Living of the family name...in Ballymena area they would elect an inanimate carbon rod if it was a Paisley...

I think (without any evidence) that there is some animosity between Paisley Jnr and elements of the party over the way Paisley Snr was treated at the end of his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,971 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

awec wrote: »
    I think (without any evidence) that there is some animosity between Paisley Jnr and elements of the party over the way Paisley Snr was treated at the end of his time.

I've heard it isn't just 'some animosity' it is bitter animosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I remember that.

Old man Paisley had a problem with Dodds anyway. And thought Robinson was a bit of a weakling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Get Iris back, a cross-community appointment.

Was she ever heard of again after she went away for "reflection"?

retalivity wrote: »
    Get Iris back, a cross-community appointment.

Was she ever heard of again after she went away for "reflection"?
    70 odd not been a politician for 10 plus years...perfect!
    She does tend to keep her finger on the pulse with young people though....especially young business men.

She is probably out there on her walk with God....like Paul Berry...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’ve been having a think, and there is literally not one DUP MLA I can think that would be a good fit.

Maybe it’s a bias because I align nowhere near them, but still even then I can appreciate a good politician

Faugheen wrote: »
    I’ve been having a think, and there is literally not one DUP MLA I can think that would be a good fit.

Maybe it’s a bias because I align nowhere near them, but still even then I can appreciate a good politician

The MLA candidates are fairly terrible.

As I said already, Poots would have had it sewn up IMO if he didn't have the health problems as he is their most high profile MLA outside of Foster.

The other MLAs that currently hold positions are Peter Weir, who IMO is a nobody, and Diane Dodds, who was co-opted to her current seat rather than winning it in an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

As I said already, Poots would have had it sewn up IMO if he didn't have the health problems as he is their most high profile MLA outside of Foster.

The other MLAs that currently hold positions are Peter Weir, who IMO is a nobody, and Diane Dodds, who was co-opted to her current seat rather than winning it in an election.

The fact that Poots of, 'no blood donations from the gays' and, 'there should be a Young Earth Creationist alternative to the history of the Giant's Causeway' fame is considered their most promising/talented MLA is most disturbing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Sky News just discussing it, and they mentioned a scenario that Jeffrey Donaldson could go for the leadership, and instead of giving up his Westminster seat appoint an MLA as First Minister.

Fingers crossed Sammy Wilson was watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,971 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The fact that Poots of, 'no blood donations from the gays' and, 'there should be a Young Earth Creationist alternative to the history of the Giant's Causeway' fame is considered their most promising/talented MLA is most disturbing.

Not forgetting 'inventing terror threats'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The yanks will have some laugh if Poots gets it. His surname means 'farts' over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

The yanks will have some laugh if Poots gets it. His surname means 'farts' over there.

Ha. Nominative determinism got him alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just saw her on the news saying there was no problem/ issue so I guess that's it then, she'll be gone by the weekend! .

Advertisement