Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wish I could, all our ICT is managed centrally and we can't change almost anything ourselves.

The funny thing is that if I save that file on one of my own drives instead of into the cloud(cuckooland), I have none of these problems.

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

I hear you on that one. I think some people are just so incompetent at parking I even found scrapes on my month old car....if its not other idiots in cars, its other idiots with their shopping trollies. 😡😡🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Having a dose of the hiccups

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you want to write an annoyance but you know if you write it you might identify yourself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could start with "A friend of mine told me that...etc". Nobody would ever guess. Trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Trivially annoyed with myself really, for not realising the right way to use these self-service tills in Tesco, and always being annoyed at how awkward they were.

Thanks to the staff member this evening who popped my wheely basket up where it was meant to be put...and didn't laugh too much at my "no way!!!" reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I didn't know that! I often wondered why they were so awkward, all that bending down to get stuff out of the basket. I've never seen anyone use it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

vpn or remote desktop? Sounds like printer or def something linked to the network like printer that's causing issues

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's how they work. I used one not so long ago but didn't have a basket. I just had a few items in my hands. I had to balanced them on the narrow bit. I feel like such a fool now.

Why do they need to keep changing things. Thankfully still on the old system here where the basket goes up on the bench beside the scanner.

Credit card machines changing as well. old ones tap the screen now it's tap above the screen that's just a frame with a small picture of the scanner icon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I pay for the BT sports package… tonight the value or bang for my buck is LIVE…‘Little League Baseball’…on checking, little league is 10-12 years olds… so I’m paying to have broadcasted live…children meeting up with friends to play sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I always just assumed these were accessible tills for people with disabilities, and I think they probably are. They replaced all the checkouts at my local Tesco a year or so ago - most are 'normal' ones, and there are 3 of these ones.

I always got a bit annoyed when the staff would direct me to these - not any more! I'll be making a beeline for them and the smugness will be POURING off me when I show off my new skills. I might even do a tour of the country to show off in as many branches as possible 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

People using the word 'bish' instead of bitch. Stoppit, you sound like a cünt.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Local Dunnes has a new... something that has a periodic sequence of beeps like a hospital monitor. Freaks me out.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I remember the first time using self service. I worked in retail prior to this, in supermarkets and clothes shops so I "knew" what I was doing.... famous last words.

It was an absolutely scorching day and I was heading out after work. Typically I had gotten my period in work so needed to pitstop into Tesco as it happened, to buy more tampons.

So anyway I'm at the till and trying to be discreet so when I scan the box I put it straight into my handbag.

Next of all I get the "unexpected item in baggage area" message. I'm looking at the machine going wtf there is no item in the baggage area so start trying to press buttons to get the feckin thing to shut up.

I'm already hot n bothered, the temperature outside isn't helping, a machine is giving out to me I can feel the sweat rolling down my back. When the guy behind me comes up and says you need to put the box in the "baggage area".....oh please God let the ground open up and swallow me.

There's now a massive queue behind me as I'm removing the box of tampons from my handbag into the baggage area so I can pay for them and get the f*CK out of there....so much for having a clue and being discreet 😂🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Been sick for a full week now. On steroids since Tuesday, which have made absolutely no difference whatsoever, my cough actually seems to be getting worse. Barely slept last night and eventually got up and came downstairs at 5am. It's going to be a very long day.

Where do I start... It's a bit of both and it's a mess. One size fits all hardly ever does.

A friend of mine refuses to use those tills and so do I. We're both perfectly capable of learning how to use them, but like she says, "That's someone's job" (not in the sense of "to serve me", but in the sense of "I'm taking").

A very trivial but very annoying annoyance is when in films you see people doing a venipuncture by inserting the needle perpendicularly to the vein. Have they ever had their bloods taken in their lives? No learning from experience at all?

Also, the colour/consistency of fake blood - it usually looks too transparent, viscous in the wrong way and cherry-syrup-like in colour to make it credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you use the self-service machines badly, feigning (or not) incompetence at using them, it'll ensure work for the person helping at the self-service area but also shows that not everyone is ready for this change, so keep the humans on tills! 😀

Also, the colour/consistency of fake blood - it usually looks too transparent, viscous in the wrong way and cherry-syrup-like in colour to make it credible.

The last time I got my bloods done with my regular doctor, my blood was like that (watery-looking). 🤨 He ended up sending me to A&E to get it done (even though it wasn't an emergency). They got 4.5 vials out of the 5 they needed before it went watery again. I'm still alive, though. 😉

My very minor trivial annoyance is my nosy neighbour. I had something on yesterday evening, did a bit of shopping on the way back and got home after 9. Before going into the house, I just sat out on the bench in my garden, catching my breath from the cycle home and enjoying the silence and the fresh air. I must have coughed or something, but my neighbour felt the need to open the front door to see who was out there. Just leave me be! I can't cut the grass either without him coming out to make a comment of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Trying to close a Halifax account that I haven't used in at least 6 years.

Login online - reset passwords etc. Computer says no, you can't access this account online. (probably because it's dormant) Please call blah blah number.

Call number - Getting through the automated bit at the start felt like this:

Then I speak to Sharon (Scottish - I appreciate the irony) - who can't help and puts me through to...

Ricki in internet help - who can't help and puts me through to...

Aaron in account help - who can't help either and puts me through to....

Lucy who says that the account is dormant and I'll have to go into a branch if I want to close it off.

Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Our staff canteen is very good

My TA is there is a guy who brings his laptop and headphones and does conference calls during lunch

It should be the one place where staff can relax but no, we get to eat lunch and listen to one sided conference calls

Sure maybe he is very very busy but we have lots and lots of meeting rooms he is welcome to use

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That's totally unfair. I hope that everyone ups the noise level when he starts and looks blankly at him if he tries to shush them. Drop cutlery, make noise with trays.

I used to work with someone who did conference calls at her desk, in quite a confined space, into the bargain. I think it was more about technological incompetence in her case but it was still damn annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Reminds me of my first week back in the office after lockdown. After WFH for 2 years I didn't even realise how loud I was on a call. Thankfully someone mentioned it to me rather than letting it fester

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Had someone who used to walk around the office when she was on a conference call. she was not a quiet lady.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Oh gawd, yes.

Worked with a really loud guy who used to do that. Very nice guy, but no volume control!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Westport Covies

My wife was last to fill the tea caddy from the tea box.

I went to the caddy to get a tea bag. No tea bags.. thats fine, i go to the tea bag box in the press and its empty.

Who in their right mind puts an empty tea bag box in the bin?

the last caddy fill is the buffer thats needed to get a new box!

Maybe she was trying to stir things up.

Pain meds have silly. Make a cup of tea or coffee, go to the fridge to get milk out only to discover I've already taken it out. Dropping everything and can't keep my eye open.

I have days like that without meds. My daughter teases me by calling them Senior Moments.Think that is my TA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

My new manager calls me even though she is in the office next to me, and to top it all the sound proofing is so poor, I could probably hear her through the wall anyway, she wouldn’t even have to get up 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Neckbeards complaining about Pret A Manger's arrival in Dublin, sneering at people queueing up for the place and then banging on about independent coffee shops.

Last time I was in London, I went to four independent coffee shops and a Pret. All five were good experiences.

Advertisement