Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

KevRossi wrote: »
    I mentioned this thread on a Zoom call with a work colleague today, asked him had he anything to mention. Then he told me that he was actually engaged to be married before his present wife (I never knew this).

They were together a few years, then it came to arrange the wedding. Reception was to be held in a hotel that held 200 max. His mother-in-law to be, wrote up a list of people from her side that had to be invited as well as her friends and local movers and shakers. It came to just over 140 people! That left just over 55 people from his side of the family and the bride and grooms friends and work colleagues.

There was no budging and the venue could not be changed. Mother in law threatened to stay at home if it wasn't done her way. Eventually he relented on this.

MiL also got her friends to do flowers and cake and they were charging utterly extortionate prices. Neither of them had any experience at the job, just did it as a hobby.

Some other friend of hers was to do the wedding car. Turns out it was a 10 year old BMW 5-series that looked like a ball of shyte. He wanted an invite for himself and the wife and €300 for the day.

Priest had to be flown in from the USA at their cost, as well as a hotel for him for 4 nights. Bridesmaids outfits were budgeted at something like €600 a pop. MiL was to be given a voucher for €1,000 or €1,500 for Brown Thomas for her outfit.

With all the rows on this and a lot more, the relationship broke down and they split up. Cost him about €5,000 in lost booking fees and deposits but he was glad to get out of it.

His own wedding a couple of years later was 12 family in a chapel Italy and a Bar-B-Q for 150 at a local football club when they got home.

this bit :D:D:D:D:D

tell him to book that guy in for a wedding in north donegal that isn't taking place.

honestly, not just including wedding horror stories, this sounds like the family from hell friends to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just do not give cash. It is crass, tacky and just lazy IMO. Sure I see the advantages etc and I am not criticising anyone for doing it but just not for me. Growing up I was thought that cash/money and talking about it was vulgar- only for people who didnt have it.

Have you ever been to an Indian wedding? All the guests quite literally form a sort of conga line where they hand over envelopes of cash to the couple.

You sound like my Grand mother , times change,

When you give someone a present its suppose to benefit them ,
    Giving a newly wed couple cash as a present would be greatly apricated & they will be delighted with it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MiL also got her friends to do flowers and cake and they were charging utterly extortionate prices. Neither of them had any experience at the job, just did it as a hobby.
    Some other friend of hers was to do the wedding car. Turns out it was a 10 year old BMW 5-series that looked like a ball of shyte. He wanted an invite for himself and the wife and €300 for the day.
    Priest had to be flown in from the USA at their cost, as well as a hotel for him for 4 nights. Bridesmaids outfits were budgeted at something like €600 a pop. MiL was to be given a voucher for €1,000 or €1,500 for Brown Thomas for her outfit.

If the MIL wants to run a wedding that way let them pick up the bill!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

..some lads hate Guinness...I love it.

I never would have guessed... :D

Funnily enough I would regard it as crass, tacky and lazy on my part rather than anyone else. At the end of the day it is really none of my business what anyone else gives out as a gift be it cash or a wok.

Most gifts that are given are tacky. It's an expensive day for the bride and groom and any money given as a gift can help ease that a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ive never given cash at a wedding, either there has been a list or Ill give something like a €200 M&S card

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was at a summer wedding years ago. Nice hotel. Everything went well and a great time was had.

Around noon the next day everybody was leaving. Handshakes all round and lots of thank yous. The happy couple were saying goodbye to the hotel owner. The hotel was preparing for another wedding reception in a few hours.

It was a lovely sunny day and the gardens looked wonderful. The Groom's car was parked beside an ornate wall with balustrades surrounding the gardens.

So anyhow off they went and a second later there was a loud noise.

Someone had tied a rope from the wall to the front suspension of the car and hidden it in the gravel. The wall was demolished.

Apparently it got rebuilt in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I was at a summer wedding years ago. Nice hotel. Everything went well and a great time was had.

Around noon the next day everybody was leaving. Handshakes all round and lots of thank yous. The happy couple were saying goodbye to the hotel owner. The hotel was preparing for another wedding reception in a few hours.

It was a lovely sunny day and the gardens looked wonderful. The Groom's car was parked beside an ornate wall with balustrades surrounding the gardens.

Someone had tied a rope from the wall to the front suspension of the car and hidden it in the gravel. The wall was demolished.

What type of absolute arsehole would do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Recliner

Someone had tied a rope from the wall to the front suspension of the car. The wall was demolished.

Reminds me when I worked in a hotel years ago, vacuuming the hall with the red carpet that the bride and groom were to walk down on their way into into the hotel.
    Someone had spilled stuff on it and they were literally just starting their walk as I was finishing.
    Massive industrial type vacuum and I accidentally opened it and upended the entire thing when they were a few feet away.
    I literally had cold sweats in case her dress got marked. They were fine about it, no damage done, but my boss nearly killed me after.

Cost him about €5,000 in lost booking fees and deposits but he was glad to get out of it.

Rarely has a €5k cost of anything seemed such good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What type of absolute arsehole would do that?

I probably shouldn't admit to be laughing here.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't admit to be laughing here.

They could have absolutely destroyed the car in the process. That would have been a horrible way to be heading off to your honeymoon and an awful way for someone to be having 'the craic' at the couple's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They could have absolutely destroyed the car in the process. That would have been a horrible way to be heading off to your honeymoon and an awful way for someone to be having 'the craic' at the couple's expense.

I fully understand that. It could even have been much worse. Someone could have been injured or killed by the wall when it fell. But yeah, I'd never do it but I did think it was funny. Probably my immature sense of humour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It was an ornamental wall and the car was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

He says defensively :D

300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

Fair enough. Stuff like that for me is up there with **** like stripping the stag and tying them to a light-post. Never got the mentality of doing something that could cause injury or major embarrassment to someone in the name of having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive never given cash at a wedding, either there has been a list or Ill give something like a €200 M&S card

We still have some of the vouchers from our wedding 20 years ago! :eek:

madam, the machine doesnt accept punts anymore

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Was just going to say, it sounds like a nice idea but what if they end up with 40 or 50 vouchers for various shops that they may not even use? If you want to give a gift of an object then fine, but a voucher is just cash with restrictions...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I fully understand that. It could even have been much worse. Someone could have been injured or killed by the wall when it fell. But yeah, I'd never do it but I did think it was funny. Probably my immature sense of humour.

Probably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

nibtrix wrote: »
    Was just going to say, it sounds like a nice idea but what if they end up with 40 or 50 vouchers for various shops that they may not even use? If you want to give a gift of an object then fine, but a voucher is just cash with restrictions...

Jesus that reminds me. A buddy of ours years ago gave a card at a wedding but rather than money he stuffed it with vouchers cut from a magazine or newspaper I can't remember which.

Now, unfortunately he did up diagnosed with mental health issues.

in a nice way, its saying buy something nice above your normal price point perhaps. I dont want someone just lodging it to their account not be seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

if I type that in google are you suggesting that will be there as a news item ?

Happened in 1997 iirc, had a friend at the stag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Daily Mirror (UK edition), Friday August 29th 1997.

(Which was also Judgement Day in Terminator)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Remember the cousins wedding in 1989 in a large country town in West of Ireland. After band, but before dj, bride and groom ushered out of ball room. Groom full as a tick. All guests line up opposite each other touching hands. Large country wedding so the arch stretches all way from ball room to front door.
    Off go bride and groom, out to street. Bundled into car complete with tin cans, paint cans. Groom reves it to the red line. Entire wedding out on street, cheering on. Opposite large garda station. Off the couple race, do a lap of the town. Different time. Lucky no-one was hurt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just deleted some posts, I've no idea if that story is true or not but this thread is meant to be lighthearted and there's nothing lighthearted about rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

20 odd years ago I was at a wedding where a woman in the hotel lobby (not attending the wedding) insisted that one of the wedding guests was the missing person Trevor Deely, despite looking NOTHING like him. She refused to hear otherwise, insisting that the guest had dyed his hair to hide his true identity. She simply would not take no for an answer, the guest even tried to go to his room but she began following him up the corridor to the extent he got really annoyed with her and basically told her to F8ck off and stop harassing him.

She got the guards called to the wedding who were very apologetic but said that had to follow every lead. It was quite embarrassing for the brides family watching the guards remove a guest from the wedding to be "interviewed" to verify his identity as there were over 400 odd guests at the wedding as her dad was a prominent local businessman who had all his business friends and acquaintances in attendance. She refused even to back down or even apologise to the wedding party, saying she had to do her civic duty. It didn't seem to occur to her that everybody but her could clearly see it wasn't him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

Right love, we have to spend seven grand in the next year in the Bodyshop. We may not have a washing machine but the overwhelming smell of pineapple soap off us should get us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Wedding presents are the only thing I use a cheque book for to this day. At least if I don't see it coming out of my account, I can say to the couple "did you get it"?

Likewise. A cheque has your name on it. Cash can get separated from a card very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Fair ingenuity there ! Pity it wasn't caught on camera

Advertisement