Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sorry but those are not valid reasons against DU and dont damage the case apart from with the politicians looking for another excuse not to build it.

the phoenix park tunnel cannot and never could be a replacement for DU, the capacity DU offers is signifficant and frees up a lot of bottle knecks in the city.

lucan luas is a separate issue as is bus connects as while they may serve some of the potential traffic, they by no means serve it all and don't address the issues DU intends to resolve.

digging a bit more at spencer dock is a non-issue, grown up countries manage similar and it's just taken as a fact of modernisation.

if we are going to allow small issues or poor alternatives to stop everything as we have been doing then we are never going to be able to grow up and modernise and one's great granchildren will be talking about the same issues.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I disagree entirely. DU was planned 20 years ago is no longer fit for purpose.

By the time other lines have been built / upgraded, DU would create only 1 new station (one..) in the city that doesn't already exist (Christchurch).

People on this thread are obsessed with DU - do you honestly think it'll happen before a Metro to Tallaght or Rathmines or UCD or Metro West? Wake up and smell the coffee.

planned 20 years ago but can be redesigned not a problem, the problems it was designed to solve are still there and will continue to be without it being built.

the metros you mention won't be built so i don't know whether DU will happen before any of them given i won't see the lot of them in my lifetime.

still no argument against DU from what i'm seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Consonata

Given that the public are barely on board with ML, the most cost effective railway option in the history of the state, DU being gotten through seems unlikely at best

Yeah this is my main point though. A DU tunnel, of some description, would be fantastic and highly successful. But I just don't see it happening for decades, minimum, given a greater need for other Metro lines in the city. The East-West capacity can be 'managed' between PPT, Buses, BRT, Red Line and Lucan Luas.

I only go on about it, cause I believe people on this forum are holding on to the idea of DU, but this is counter productive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm not wedded to DU myself. The Ballybough flats are overdue replacement anyway. A short stretch of elevated railway could connect Clontarf Road Station to the GSWR line across the Tolka and through fairview Park the Ballynough site, it would be less disruptive than the demolition at Tara St for metrolink, it would bypass connolly and boost capacity you'd also provide flexibility in stabling because fairview depot would be accessible to the maynooth and hazelhatch lines without reversing in Connolly. With meteolink in place your only issue is trying to fit Belfast trains in

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the alignment within the city centre proper and the additional station(s) - DU was never just about that, just as Metro North/Metrolink was never just about 'the airport'. DU was about turning the single DART line and two disparate commuter lines (to Maynooth and Hazelhatch) into two proper DART lines in an X-shaped network centred over Pearse station . It would have created two proper efficient through lines. It's shonky relation in the form of the Phoenix Park tunnel is not anywhere near sufficient an alternative solution in the medium to long term.

@DaCor responding to your post from the GRR thread. Couldn't find the WRC thread...

Specifically on Tuam to Galway, you say the bus is faster, but the current train from Athenry to Galway is 20minutes. The disused line from Athenry to Tuam is very straight and 30km long.

I would estimate 40minute journey is very possible, even less if some of the line is double tracked. This is very similar to the bus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray to Connolly is 45 mins, and 20 km. I think the Tuam to Atheny is 50% longer, and single track (well no track). Unless the train from Tuam could go directly to Galway, it would be 1hr 30 mins. How long does the bus take? And how many buses do the trip each day?

What happens when the train gets to Galway? Does it return for the next load of commuters? So how many return trips for the morning commute?

There just is not the traffic for the Tuam Athenry commutes.

• Advertisement

There are 17 Dart stations between Bray and Connolly, compared be zero (max one) between Tuam and Athenry (30km), so it's a very bad comparison.

Tuam is also the largest town in Galway, so any assumption that no demand exists between Tuam and Galway makes no sense.

exactly and as well as that, trains from tuam would be serving athenry anyway as it would be an important stop for them to serve, so the stop there would be happening even if the train could simply go straight through rather then go in and back out again.

multiple unit trains would be operating the service so the driver just changes ends at athenry which would probably take a minute at most, being done while passengers are getting on and off.

if we were still using loco hauled trains that required running the loco around then yes the athenry stop would be an issue but we're not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Changing ends at Limerick Colby for LJ to Ennis takes 5 or 6 minutes. Train drivers do not sprint up the platform to get from one end of the train to the other. They need to gather their paper and lunch.

A regular Tuam service could potentially run via Athenry to Gort or Ennis, and have minimum waiting time for a connection to Galway.

At present, do Limerick Galway trains have to switch direction in Athenry given the alignment?

as far as i know they do but i can't confirm for definite.

not a journey i have done so i can't comment on what happens there but i wonder if perhapse the train is timetabled for a 6 minute wait and the driver just takes it as an opportunity for a short rest.

they wouldn't need to sprint but the trains are generally between 2 and 4 carrages so 6 minutes specifically for changing ends would seem excessive but maybe it does take that long to change ends and do whatever setup and checks if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This conversation is a good example of the kind of thing I referred to previously. Before reinstating the line to Tuam can even to considered, Athenry - Galway needs to be double-tracked. No point adding new bits until the core network is capable of receiving it. We need a decade of proper investment in the existing network first.

If it was decided there was sufficient demand for a Tuam Galway train service, would it not make more sense to make it a direct route?

It is 30 km for a direct line (plus extra for the windy bits). I would think a Luas line would serve this route better than a 45 Km round trip via Athenry. It could first be built as a Claregalway to Galway line.

A direct route would definitely be preferred, but given the current direction change at Athenry required for trains coming from Limerick, it could make more sense to have a regular North South service with a 5 minute connection at Athenry to Galway.

The disused line from Athenry to Tuam is fully there without any construction on the line. It's also surprisingly straight, given the winding nature of the line to Limerick.

Yea, but there are no passengers on that route. Claregalway is a desperate traffic jam at busy times, and well within a commute distance of Galway City, and would make a good P&R hub for those one off houses all around there. Add the traffic problems between Two Mile Ditch and BnT, then a bus/Luas service that wizzes past the part would attract many fans.

Whether there is a Luas of fast bus service matters less if it is a frequent service and reliable. The advantage of a bus is it can be many routes to take passengers where they want to be. Rail can be quicker, but less flexible.

• Advertisement

Apologies, don't have notifications for mentions turned on so didn't spot this until now.

Lets look at your proposal

• 33km - Tuam to Eyre Square - 35 min driving, maybe 40 mins for bus at the moment. When bus lanes are implemented you're looking at 30 mins or less
    • Only looking at the private operator Burkes bus, you have 20+ services a day
    • For full bus lanes from Loughgeorge to the Huntsman, you're probably talking 15-25 mil, with the majority of that being spent from the An Post depot, to the Huntsman. Loughgeorge to the depot would require on a small amount of works as there is a hard should ready to be used for almost all of it.

Now the train line alternative

• 24.7km Tuam to Athenry
    • Roughly 6-7 level crossings which will mean it won't be fast. Sorting those out means the costs go through the roof making making a balls of the CB ratio
    • You'll have to include a stop at Abbey/Ballyglunin to capture commuters coming from Roscommon
    • Tuam to Galway, including stops at Abbey, Athenry, Oranmore, you're looking at, best case, approx 45 mins.
    • This means the absolute best you can hope for is a 2 hourly service
    • In terms of cost, Phase 1 was costed at 75 mil, but ended up nearly 50% higher than that. This section was costed at 35 mil in 2005, so likely close to 70 mil now given inflation and under quoting by the WOT lads.

Note, this is not to say its not worth doing. It probably is, but you'll get a far greater return, for less money spent, with a more efficient, higher frequency service, if you focus on the bus lanes first. Burkes have stated many times they would ramp up to 30+ services if they could do it more efficiently. Right now they can't, because a peak time journey is approx 1hr+ one way due to congestion.

Lets look at where the WRC is already opened, in Phase 1.

Ennis to Galway

• Rail - Approx 1 hr 15 mins. 30 eur cost
    • Road - Depending on route, 64-73km, 54-52 mins journey. 22 eur cost

The usage numbers are horrendous too with that line needing one of the highest subventions on the IE network.

There is absolutely demand, but I don't know of anyone, given the choice, who would choose the slower, more expensive and less frequent train, over the bus. I'm sure there are some, but if you asked the locals where the investment should go, I think it would overwhelmingly be for the bus lanes.

At present, do Limerick Galway trains have to switch direction in Athenry given the alignment?

Yes they do

Before reinstating the line to Tuam can even to considered, Athenry - Galway needs to be double-tracked. No point adding new bits until the core network is capable of receiving it. We need a decade of proper investment in the existing network first.

This! 1,000,000% this!

If it was decided there was sufficient demand for a Tuam Galway train service, would it not make more sense to make it a direct route?

It would, but 2 things would block it

1. The WOT fanatics who are tied to reusing the 19th century alignment because.....reasons
    2. The shambles that is planning in Galway CoCo means there's houses built all over the place. Trying to find a route without impacting someone's property will be difficult. That's before you have the IFA and the farmers screaming blue murder for you stealing their farmland when there's a line lying idle that could be used
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the demerger by ESBN of SONI is a sign of things to come, where it looks like the interconnections will be removed, the DUP will change the gauge at the border.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I think you're being unfair in your comparisons.

A few comments:

• The Athenry Tuam line is very straight, so a speed of 100-120k should be possible. Currently, all roads have over / under passes. The level crossings appear to be farm access only. Of course, upgrades to all of these would be required. I can't comment on cost as I don't know.

• Best case bus time of 30 minutes (Tuam to Galway) assuming bus lanes is optimistic. It's 32minutes by car assuming no traffic (Google Maps). Buses are a bit slower and will have a few stops to alight passengers. 35-40minutes is more realistic.

• The train could be 35-45 minutes assuming minimal (or zero) connection time at Athenry and assuming the Galway Athenry section is double tracked.

• I'm sure there are lots of examples around Ireland where a bus is comparable in time to train, however people choose train due to comfort, reliability and connections (Dublin, Limerick, Athlone etc.)

Ennis to Galway

Rail - Approx 1 hr 15 mins. 30 eur cost

Road - Depending on route, 64-73km, 54-52 mins journey. 22 eur cost

While I don't think the success (or lack thereof) of the Ennis line should factor into the feasibility of the Tuam extension, I think your numbers are unfair.

The cost of a one way ticket Ennis to Galway is 7.50euro. The time given for road doesn't factor in any traffic delays. A one hour journey time by rail should be possible with some upgrades.

I don't know of any commuter service that has speeds of 100-120k. Is there such a thing in Ireland? We can barely manage those speeds on the intercity lines and only on bits of those lines

Best case bus time of 30 minutes (Tuam to Galway) assuming bus lanes is optimistic. It's 32minutes by car assuming no traffic (Google Maps). Buses are a bit slower and will have a few stops to alight passengers. 35-40minutes is more realistic.

Fair point, I'll go with your 40 min

The train could be 35-45 minutes assuming minimal (or zero) connection time at Athenry and assuming the Galway Athenry section is double tracked.

Sure, but double tracking is at least 20 years away. The Oranmore passing loop won't be opened for another few years yet.

Actually the biggest blockage to the double tracking, in my mind, is the push for the WRC northwards. The main line should be double track Galway To Dublin in full. It is from Portarlington but needs to be done in full. I posted a thread on the topic back when the JASPER report came out

We spent 100+ mil open the WRC phase 1 and the money would have been far better spent double tracking the main line.

The fact that the double-tracking was being proposed 15 years ago is also a poor indicator of the priority of it

Simply put, any Tuam commuter rail will be utterly rubbish, without double tracking completed and the Galway-Dublin & WRC ph1 will also suffer.

I don't oppose the idea of commuter rail from Tuam, but there's a long list of stuff that should happen first with the 2 highest priorities being bus lanes on the Tuam rd route and double tracking to Athenry

Yeah can't disagree with your double tracking comments. It's appalling that the existing Intercity lines haven't been double tracked - it's not even proposed 🙈🙈🙄🙄

On the commuter train speed - I don't think I'm massively wrong there - probably closer to 100k? For example, Athlone to Ballinsloe is 25km and takes 16minutes, which is close to 100km/h.

I'm no expert on the models by any stretch so this is just a layman observation but wouldn't the commuter trains be a less powerful model than the intercity ones?

I don't know either way. The commuter trains to Newbridge, Portlaoise, Longford seem to be similar, or same, carriages that so intercity routes, but don't know for sure.

they would be yes as they are designed for suburban services, so would only be capable of lower speeds.

correct they are.

those trains are designed for inter city and regional routes but are used extensively on suburban and outer suburban services which technically they are not designed for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I agree that double-tracking helps everybody.

The existing intercity Gy to Dublin

The Galway-LK trains

The case for a train to Tuam

The line to Athenry should be doubled asap, with new stations in Renmore, Roscam.

As should LJ to Limerick.

Advertisement