Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

  • 07-04-2021 8:48pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ MyLove4Satan


    Be interesting to see what comes out of this:

    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0407/1208479-cross-border-rail-review/
    The Strategic Rail Review will consider how the rail network on the island can improve sustainable connectivity between major cities, enhance regional accessibility including to the North West and support balanced regional development.


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ MyLove4Satan


    I can't see them building a line from Derry to Letterkenny without spending multiples of billions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭ whisky_galore


    Another study to generate reams of paperwork and presentations and little else.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    a.k.a the last chance saloon for the WRC


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭ Jizique


    DaCor wrote: »
    a.k.a the last chance saloon for the WRC

    As pointless as the bridge to Scotland


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭ Rashers72


    Another study to generate reams of paperwork and presentations and little else.
    Hardly a year goes by without another report. Consultants seem to be doing well, but the reports just gathers dust with zero improvement for actual customers. It's especially poor on Enterprise. Sample report from June 2018:
    https://twitter.com/irishrail/status/1006467286042112000?lang=en


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ IE 222


    I think there is potential in this for Dublin - Belfast.

    There seems to be a lot of talk and interest politically to develop cross boarder projects and the North Eastern Corridor lately. The Northern Line will require an upgrade with the Dart project in the near future either way. Boris was willing to invest billions into a bridge so getting a few quid shouldn't be as difficult. Both sides were fantasizing and telling us all about wanting to develop a high speed rail network recently. Giving it's the EU year of rail that should secure some funding towards any project also.

    Quad tracking, speed increases (125 mph) and electrification would reduce journey times dramatically while also massively benefiting local needs and offer a cheap version of the "high speed rail" project that was in the "planning". The enterprise fleet is going to need replacing in the coming years as well so maybe there might just be enough factors coming together at once to make it a possibility.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭ Vic_08


    Paper never refuses ink, consultants never refuse fat cheques and politicians never refuse cheap PR stunts.

    I could write this report for free, in fact I will:

    Refer to previous reports.


  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ Round Cable


    Vic_08 wrote: »
    Paper never refuses ink, consultants never refuse fat cheques and politicians never refuse cheap PR stunts.

    I could write this report for free, in fact I will:

    Refer to previous reports.

    Absolutely, millions spent on reports gathering dust on shelves would be better spent on removing level crossings, relaying/straighting track, i.e. things that would actually reduce rail travel times.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭ D.L.R.


    Now that we've failed to deliver Dart Underground, or a Metro, its time to talk about the next project we'll fail to deliver.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,186 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    Serious work needed on Dub-Bel regardless. NIR are still using jointed track. We'll see what, if anything comes to fruition from the 2027 rail strategy.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Bsharp


    The source of this particular study is interesting. It came out of a jaspers report on the WRC which basically said the economic appraisal of the scheme was too narrow a focus, and the strategic context should have greater consideration.

    All the hallmarks of a shelf filler though and I'm one of those consultants. Wish it was easier to get things to site. Haven't had the hardhat out since Australia for a rail project.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭ Pete_Cavan


    Bsharp wrote: »
    The source of this particular study is interesting. It came out of a jaspers report on the WRC which basically said the economic appraisal of the scheme was too narrow a focus, and the strategic context should have greater consideration.

    If you are saying that the all island Rail Review is being done because of the Jaspers report on the WRC, then that is incorrect. After the publication of the WRC reports, Ryan and a few others said "this isn't the end for it, it will be looked at again as part of the all island review", the review was already intended to happen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭ whisky_galore


    Bsharp wrote: »
    The source of this particular study is interesting. It came out of a jaspers report on the WRC which basically said the economic appraisal of the scheme was too narrow a focus, and the strategic context should have greater consideration.

    All the hallmarks of a shelf filler though and I'm one of those consultants. Wish it was easier to get things to site. Haven't had the hardhat out since Australia for a rail project.

    I don't know how I would live with myself if the culmination all my efforts resulted in a photo shoot with a bunch of lads fake laughing pretending to read a report, or maybe hi vis, hard hat and inspirationally pointing at things that aren't there.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 13,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭ marno21


    Throwing this in here. Kind of relevant.

    Irish Rail tendering for freight wagons:

    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/186543/1/0

    30 box transport wagons for zinc ore
    10 year framework for upto 300 container flat wagons


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CatInABox


    marno21 wrote: »
    Throwing this in here. Kind of relevant.

    Irish Rail tendering for freight wagons:

    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/186543/1/0

    30 box transport wagons for zinc ore
    10 year framework for upto 300 container flat wagons

    I posted this in the Rail Freight thread in the Train and Rail systems forum, probably better there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭ GM228


    marno21 wrote: »
    Throwing this in here. Kind of relevant.

    Irish Rail tendering for freight wagons:

    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/186543/1/0

    30 box transport wagons for zinc ore
    10 year framework for upto 300 container flat wagons

    It's not actually a tender for freight wagons though, it's a tender for consultancy services in relation to a potential future freight wagon tender.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭ Vic_08


    GM228 wrote: »
    It's not actually a tender for freight wagons though, it's a tender for consultancy services in relation to a potential future freight wagon tender.

    :rolleyes:

    Place is awash with management and they can't even pick out some container flats and ore hoppers by themselves.

    How to waste public money and keep the hog trough flowing in 10 easy steps.


  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ riddlinrussell


    Already mentioned this in the A5 thread, but I'd like to see serious consideration given to restoring the Portadown to Derry railway line in this, it was shut while it was still making profit. And it could bring rail back to Donegal!

    Decent two aprter article here on the problems and potential solutions

    Tackling Northern Irelands Infrastructure Apartheid:Part 1 - The Problem/

    Not advocating for all of them, but some of them would bring a lot of benefits


  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ MyLove4Satan


    Already mentioned this in the A5 thread, but I'd like to see serious consideration given to restoring the Portadown to Derry railway line in this, it was shut while it was still making profit. And it could bring rail back to Donegal!

    Decent two aprter article here on the problems and potential solutions

    Tackling Northern Irelands Infrastructure Apartheid:Part 1 - The Problem/

    Not advocating for all of them, but some of them would bring a lot of benefits


    Good grief, I opened that article expecting some extreme hyperbole and professional victim complexes. But you really can't argue with the data presented.

    If there is one closed railway in Ireland that absolutely needs to be rebuilt (yes I know lots of the PW is now gone) it is a line from Dublin to Derry via West Ulster.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭ AngryLips


    What kind of condition was the Portadown to Derry line? Was it to a standard similar to Dublin-Belfast or was it more like the Nenagh branch line? ...speaking of which, and slightly off-topic, but what closed lines across the island were of a decent intercity standard? Like I know much of the lines in Donegal wouldn't be fit for purpose today.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ riddlinrussell


    AngryLips wrote: »
    What kind of condition was the Portadown to Derry line? Was it to a standard similar to Dublin-Belfast or was it more like the Nenagh branch line? ...speaking of which, and slightly off-topic, but what closed lines across the island were of a decent intercity standard? Like I know much of the lines in Donegal wouldn't be fit for purpose today.

    I'm not sure if it was dual track of anything of the sort, others may know, but I believe it was a higher quality line than the existing Derry to Belfast line, which as far as I am aware was spared the cull only because it was wholly in Northern Ireland (and they then tried to close it in 2010)


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    Middling to good quality, bridge structures over roads that might have been crossings on a lesser quality railway. Single track when it closed (with passing at stations) but it was doubled in parts in the past - lots of lines were singled to reuse better track panels and reduce maintenance in the decades after WWI.

    This, the West Cork system and the Tramore line were the three worst closures of the entire cuts really; particularly as this one was almost entirely down to religion. Even if they could justify closing the western sections for whatever reason (the customs procedures destroying the cross-border bits for instance), service to Dungannon could easily have been retained for commuters but it wasn't loyalist enough!


  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Bsharp


    Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    If you are saying that the all island Rail Review is being done because of the Jaspers report on the WRC, then that is incorrect. After the publication of the WRC reports, Ryan and a few others said "this isn't the end for it, it will be looked at again as part of the all island review", the review was already intended to happen.

    Thanks for the clarification. My intention was to point out the Jaspers report demonstrates the need for the strategic review. As an aside, how we're appraising these schemes has scope to change;

    https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/737a6-national-investment-framework-for-transport-in-ireland-nifti/#

    Worth making a Submission if interested.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭ Charles Babbage


    L1011 wrote: »
    Middling to good quality, bridge structures over roads that might have been crossings on a lesser quality railway. Single track when it closed (with passing at stations) but it was doubled in parts in the past - lots of lines were singled to reuse better track panels and reduce maintenance in the decades after WWI.

    This, the West Cork system and the Tramore line were the three worst closures of the entire cuts really; particularly as this one was almost entirely down to religion. Even if they could justify closing the western sections for whatever reason (the customs procedures destroying the cross-border bits for instance), service to Dungannon could easily have been retained for commuters but it wasn't loyalist enough!


    Trains could have run non stop to Derry from Strabane. And it was closed in 1965, the year of the Anglo-Irish free trade agreement which started dismantling customs.

    Lines to Dungannon and Armagh from Portadown would have been ideal for commuters. Likewise the line to Banbridge and BCDR would have a commuter role. It is shocking that the route of these was not retained.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Peregrine


    Bsharp wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. My intention was to point out the Jaspers report demonstrates the need for the strategic review. As an aside, how we're appraising these schemes has scope to change;

    https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/737a6-national-investment-framework-for-transport-in-ireland-nifti/#

    Worth making a Submission if interested.

    I can't stress enough how important this consultation is. Everyone please make a submission.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Peregrine


    The public consultation for this will be launched this afternoon.



  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    The UKs "Union Connectivity Report" seems to be putting a lot of weight on this as being what they'll use as their target list for NI works.



  • Registered Users Posts: 8,186 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    I read that, it was basically refer to the Irish government's plans for everything, a complete divestment by the UK government in writing.



  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ shillyshilly


    we need High Speed Eire ... HSE!... oh wait, maybe not call it that



  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Peregrine


    Initial public consultation



Advertisement