Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I hope the rail review won't be all about fantasy rail projects all over the country through mostly rural hinterland.

A rail line to Donegal through Northern Ireland is fantasy as long as there is dysfunction in NI and the UK government has no interest on large scale capital spending like that up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The exact wording of a lot of those dail statements is worth looking at. For starters:

The finalised draft report will then be submitted for approval to both Ministers and ultimately the Government and the Executive. Once these necessary approvals have been secured, I will obviously then publish the report.

There being no executive in the north could halt publication of this for some time

Yesterday, I asked for a copy of the latest draft report to see how detailed or specific the idea that is being advanced is. In my mind, it is the right strategic view in terms of where rail could return in importance to our island and would be transformative, in particular in providing access to the north west.

Nowhere in Ryan's statement does he actually mention the report recommending rail to the NW, only that he thinks its the right strategic view. It's a politicians trick of mixing two statements together that arent actually connected directly (1. he asked for a copy of the latest draft report, 2. he believes NW rail link is the right approach.) Its designed to give the impression that the rail review supports some of what he's saying, in reality he has no idea if it does or doesnt. (Or at least he isnt saying).

Eagerly awaiting publication of the report, but I wont hold my breath that it contains anything like what ER is suggesting.

I can't see any justification for the WRC being extended further. MAYBE you could make some kind of case for it going to Tuam, but would require a massive subvention again, would be slower than all other options and would have poor uptake.

As for going beyond Tuam further north, will never happen. That line will continue to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The point isn't just to accommodate direct Cork to Belfast trains, the number of people travelling end to end will be fairly small as is the case with many of Europe's inter City railways. the point is:

No need for trains to turn around in Dublin's over capacity stations which frees up terminal capacity for more commuters

Free up the coastal DART to operate at high frequency without Belfast trains getting in the way

Provide much better Dublin-Belfast Journey times. This is especially important for people using it to commute from say Drogheda or Dundalk to Dublin who are currently faster driving or even taking a bus.

Connect the airport to the inter City network

The only alternative to improve the service is demolish Raheny and killester at high land cost to put in 4 tracks and you miss out on all the above benefits and there's no way the residents would accept it.

There wouldn't be a need for much deep bore tunnel if the routing was clever and use if elevated viaducts was allowed. A route through elmgreen golf club and the phoenix park for example would allow for many cut and cover or elevated options. Or we could spend a bit of money and build a direct route in tunnel, which we shouldn't be averse to doing if we're serious about rail, ita going to be heavily used in any case.

Cork and Dublin are getting their plans for commuter rail, this plan is an island wide review focused on inter City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I get that and I'de love to have both but we won't get both so I don't think Cork to Belfast would happen.

Although some of your idea above about not 4 tracking the current line has merits.

There's little to no travel demand between Galway and Derry, a distance of some 300km, that's a long way for a train to go with no demand. Cork and Galway should absolutely be connected by rail within 2h30.

Not sure what advantage an athlone hub has over existing portarlington hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I wasn't talking about demand but rather connecting places that currently are not.

As I said myself fairly tale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is no chance of elevated rail through the Phoenix Park. Such a tunnel would be a second half of this century project and should only be considered after DART+ Tunnel has been delivered.

In the meantime, there are lots of upgrades of the existing network which can deliver immediate benefits and are also required before such a mega project can happen. It's the same as the old DU mega project, the upgrades proposed under DART+ should have been pursued individually back in the 00s instead of all being rolled up in something so big.

What is needed is a realistic, achievable plan for the next 20 years to optimise the existing network so that it can handle expansion. What happens after that is a matter for the future. Talk about reopening lines through rural areas is only a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

The report is unlikely to be published until the impasse of the Northern Assembly is overcome, which may not be anytime soon.

DART+ Tunnel should be turned into the 'All-Island Rail Connector'and accommodate a mix of InterCity, commuter and freight services. Extend the tunnel northwards to address Northern Line capacity constraints. Clongriffin Spur could allow direct Intercity services to the airport. We'd be doing well to get one heavy rail tunnel, no chance we're getting two, so maximise what's already on the table.

My guess is some of the fantastical stuff will be in the long grass.

Now-2030 - national development plan

2030-2040 - sweat existing assets; speed/capacity improvements on InterCity with electrification of Dublin to Cork.

2040-2050 - more sweating, more decarboning & new lines, including the 'All Island Rail Connector

2050 = net zero, all done but mention of more fantastical stuff

Report to be cavaeted like LSMATs where notional stuff is dependent on good land use planning around rail.

If the outcome of the report is an implementation plan to target investment over the next 20 years its the best I could expect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“DART+ Tunnel should be turned into the 'All-Island Rail Connector'and accommodate a mix of InterCity, commuter and freight services.”

Christ, no!

Only in Ireland do people desperately try and send every type of service on the same line. Haven’t we learned from the Dart line that mixing services like this is a terrible idea and just leads to a much poorer level of service overall.

No one else does this, I don’t see intercity trains or freight services in London Underground tunnels (Elizabeth line is a separate tunnel), or in Paris metro tunnels (again RER have their own tunnels). In Berlin they have 6 tracks side by side, one set each for intercity, commuter and SBahn.

The frequency and capacity of the DART is extremely limited from having to share track with intercity, commuter, etc. Let’s not repeat that stupidity in a brand new DART Underground tunnel!

Seriously reading some of the completely mad cap ideas here makes me realise that Irish people really don’t understand how rail and public transport works.

And there it is. If DART+ Tunnel is ever to be built it should be for a specific purpose, it should not be compromised by trying to do everything which would make it an extremely expensive failure.

The biggest issue our rail network has is the lack of capacity means everything is competing for limited space, undermining everything. It needs to designed around high frequency commuter services, which would unlock the rest of the network around Dublin. InterCity and freight is not compatible with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Agree, but my sense is DART+ Tunnel won't ever get delivered unless Intercity services are integrated into the plan. That's the political conundrum faced. It could be sold as a national rail project, showcasing 'Ten-T' Cork to Belfast direct services thanks to some EU funding, whilst linking large parts of the country with the 'national' airport and more direct services to Dublin City Centre. It will also be argued that it supports more frequent and directs InterCity services to Waterford, Limerick and Cork, on top of regional commuter services by freeing up capacity at Heuston Station.

Commuter services in GDA are the hostage to fortune. Working from home etc will be used to justify a reduction in DART+ service capacity through the tunnel, which will supplemented by Intercity services stopping at Heuston and stephens green.

The business case writes itself - climate action, regional balance, accessibility and social inclusion, tourism, international connectivity, TEN-T, economic development.

Mixing Intercity and commuter services on crosscity rail tunnels isn't ideal, but it has been done successfully in constrained environments across Europe busier than Dublin. To see it in my lifetime I'll take the good over the perfect.

Once opened we scale back the InterCity services, increase DART services, and make people interchange instead.

Can Heuston Station cater for much improved InterCity services on the Kildare line? DART+ Options didn't assume much growth in services. A big failing of our approach to rail has been thinking about commuter and intercity services in isolation for such a small country. Now we're left with compromises.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I'd fully agree with this. Given updates in the network since DU was envisaged, most significantly Phoenix Park Tunnel, and perhaps a future Red Line Luas spur to College Green - the Business Case for DU is weak.

However, a tunnel that incorporated improved intercity services could boost the case.

I already wondered if New Spencer Dock could / should take the Belfast trains plus some Cork / Galway etc. The Spencer Dock Luas stop will be a much quicker connection than Connolly to Busaras.

I'll rephrase this - irrespective of the DU tunnel - is there a lost opportunity at New Spencer Dock?

This whole area could be a better location for intercity services rather than commuter / Dart. A very quick connection between Cork-Dublin to Dublin-Belfast.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Trying to force Intercity trains into the DART Underground tunnel would make it vastly more expensive and thus guarantee that it never gets built.

Think about it for one minute, the tunnel and stations now need to be designed for much longer intercity trains. Plus you now need to electrify the entire intercity rail network, as you can't put Diesel intercity trains in a tunnel like this, so now you have gone and billions and years more work to the project, making it much less likely to happen!

People keep focusing on Intercity, when really there is very little demand for many improvements to intercity rail [1]

All the demand is for greatly improved commuter services, getting people into and around our cities is where the demand is and where the VAST majority of rail users come from and where almost all the growth in rail will come from over the next decades.

Spending billions on mad intercity rail tunnels, making DU much worse by trying to jam intercity rail in, etc. non of this makes sense or has much demand for it. Few people are travelling Cork to Belfast, it really isn't worth spending much money on trying to fix that.

The reality is Ireland is a pretty small country, with a very good motorway network now which people are pretty happy with. The Intercity coaches using the motorways are doing very well and popular. Intercity rail tunnels, etc. aren't going to change that.

[1] Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't be improving intercity rail, but they need to be relatively realistic projects that deliver noticeable improvements. Longer trains to increase capacity, increased frequency like on the Belfast line, earlier and later starting times, reasonable projects for speed upgrades, etc.

Great but then we're back to square 1 on Dublin Belfast trains, we need to create a usable service. The only way to achieve that is to build more tracks to separate it from the DART. Do we bulldoze some of Dublins most expensive suburbs or do we build a new greenfield route with some tunnel/ elevated tracks. I never said there should be elevation through the park, cut and cover would be more appropriate. Elevation through the airport campus and perhaps over the M50 and navan Road at ashtown could be considered, it's easier than tunneling at those locations.

Can't disagree with your logic.

Can anyone here think of any way the Dart Underground tunnel can actually be justified? We already have Phoenix Park Tunnel, we're likely to see movement on Lucan Luas to College Green in this decade.

There is simply no justification for an expensive tunnel through the heart of Dublin, not to mention the oldest part of Dublin. It's insanity and I'm glad it's been left out of the GDA plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is there any scope for expanding the PPT, allowing for folk travelling from Cork to alight at the future Glasnevin station, allowing for Airport access? Seems like it would be a better future station to set up given how well connected it is (ML to the inner city, Dart to the Docklands and GCD). There is probably limited expansion options for such a line in the future though.

There are several improvements which can be made to reduce the Dublin-Belfast journey times. IE are looking to some of it under DART+, plenty can be done north of the border too. What you are describing is decades away and shouldn't even be discussed until all the low hanging fruit has been picked.

• Advertisement

The tunnel most likely can be justified given the enormous benefits it will have on the network in Dublin in terms of carrying capacity and facilitating more journeys. The direct benefits would mostly be for the commuter services but there would also be indirect benefits for intercity services too. I'm not sure why people here are so hung up on intercity services, Dublin and its surrounds are the most populated part of the island, it has to be the focus rather than services from less populated areas.

People transferring from intercity services to commuter services facilitated by the tunnel strengthens the case for the tunnel. Running intercity services through the tunnel only creates problems for little or no benefit and damages the case for the tunnel.

The best solution would be a core western DART station such as Clondalkin where all intercity trains stop to allow interchange with the DART network before terminating in Heuston.

Another option could be some intercity services continuing to New Spencer Dock using the Phoenix Park Tunnel and Drumcondra line.

Once Lucan Luas is built (long before a Dart+ tunnel) I believe it'll be very difficult to justify another cross-city route more or less along the same route. Probably better keeping that discussion to the other thread for GDA.

Regarding intercity connectivity, best medium term solution would be a core western DART station such as Clondalkin, which could facilitate intercity connection with the DART network.

I've yet to see any serious proposal to improve journey times or reliability on the Belfast route. The current time table is a work of fiction anyway. And I don't see how it's possible without more tracks because we are bound by the laws of physics. On the northern side of the border the only real fix is a new Newry to Lisburn route beside the A1, the current route is jointed rail with 140kmh limit and its full of commuter trains and NI is broke, way too broke to improve railways.

We would have to spend a couple of billion south of Drogheda to get the same benefits which could be gotten from spending €100m north of Craigavon. Track replacements, signalling upgrades, passing loops and LC closures would do a lot to improve reliability and reduce journey times. We are talking at most two Dublin-Belfast trains per hour, I have no idea why people think it deserves major invinvestment.

Surely NI being broke is exactly the reason why we shouldn't even be contemplating a mega project to accommodate Dublin-Belfast trains. Any investment made down here would ultimately be undermined by the state of the line up there. Sort things out up there first, even if we have to part fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the case for DU is 100% solid regardless of whether it is kept to suburban and outer suburban services only or whether it's a bigger tunnel to accommodate some inter city and regional services.

there is absolutely no case or argument not to build it, political will is the only thing preventing this vital piece of infrastructure from being built.

as for dublin belfast, the fact is that the busy northern line south of the border needs more capacity regardless of dublin belfast trains, and the case for that investment is clear and 100% solid.

quad track probably isn't doable but certainly tripple tracking with the middle line being bi-directional might be.

there is no getting out of the fact there will need to be some big investments made, simply patching up isn't going to work, by all means the northern side of the border should get it's upgrades but the capacity issues south of the border still remain.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Dart Underground was planned before Phoenix Park Tunnel was opened and before Bus Connects plan was developed. Lucan Luas to College Green is also likely to be built before it.

Additionally, the New Spencer Dock station will need to be closed and dug deeper to facilitate DU. So there are plenty of reasons going against it.

The main point being that there's a lot more travel demand to/from Drogheda, Dundalk and the Airport. Trains would travel as far as dundalk more than twice an hour. Its the line between the 2 biggest cities and we need the coastal line for DART, that's why we need to invest. We might aswell not invest in any of the intercity network by your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Sorry, but saying that DU cannot accommodate IC services in addition to Dart services requires ignoring the many precedents of such services found elsewhere in cities across the continent. Additionally, the cross border rail plan will, at the very least, lay out a timetable for the electrification of the Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast lines, so the costing to facilitate such services wouldn't be part of that particular project anyway. And it's not like every station in DU needs to facilitate IC services. The main cost is from quad tracking the tunnel.

Still, I don't expect DU to appear in the plans. I expect the review to make the following recommendations:

• Quad track the approach into Dublin and (possibly) the approach into Belfast for the Enterprise service to reduce conflict with existing commuter services.
    • Extend Derry services onwards to Letterkenny and some line speed improvements towards Belfast on this line.
    • Electrify Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast.
    • Some sort of Cork-Limerick direct service.

This is what a realistic report should look like, if it comes with more bells and whistles then we'll know it's not worth the paper it gets printed on. Of course, the whole notion of making this plan a cross-border project is just a political ruse to ensure it's more hot-air and empty promises that don't get delivered. Will we be left in a situation where national rail projects in the south will get held up by political paralysis in the north? And timelines will be set in such a way that ensures current Governments don't need to act now so that future governments can disown these commitments in future. It's the same type of playbook we've been seeing with Dublin transport infrastructure for the last decade or more. And the argument each time is that circumstances have changed ...even though circumstances in Cork have changed by just as much, yet the Government is willing to stick with the delivery of a decades old CMATS report in that city (presumably because it's less costly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It may not be a priority, but it could be done by simply rearranging current resources, no extra infrastructure would be needed bar maybe a couple of new platforms somewhere. I don't know if the current rolling stock would be able to carry sufficient diesel for that long a journey, but again re-fueling en route and eventually purchase of new engines with greater capacity would do the trick.

The big problem would be the staff who probably mostly work out of Dublin, but again that could be addressed over a period of time.

Advertisement