Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

32 grand for a 14 year old vehicle? bloody nora. you'd probably want to be on the minimum wage just to afford the road tax.

This is about personal choice not money.

This is not an economic argument. It's not bangeromics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder if it comes with bulletproof glass.
    not that i'm making any value judgement on a lot of people who'd consider buying it, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

in general, cars are just getting bigger regardless.

Cars in Ireland / Europe have increased in width by approx 30% since 1970's.

Access Roads and paths and bicycles have not increased in width.

The fatter your car the more space you dominate..

... and extend that to a driver's ego.. add in a bit of entitlement or whatever

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

.anon. wrote: »
    The proliferation of the things in urban areas is everyone's business. The amount of public space they occupy is everyone's business. That they're so often driven by people who show no awareness of their surroundings is everyone's business.

Take the Corolla vs a C-HR for instance, one of these is an SUV and the root of all evil, the other is a family hatchback.

Corolla 4.65m x 1.79m
    C-HR 4.38m x 1.79m
    Rav 4 4.6m x 1.85m

The SUV is a shorter car, and therefore takes up less space.

edit. added the Rav 4, to further demonstrate that the popular SUVs people buy, aren't really taking up much more urban space

sebdavis wrote: »
    The PHEV element is what makes them more appealing. 30km on battery.

The future is hybrids with a big electric only range. Manufacturers are slow to realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

beauf wrote: »
    I don't know why we keep making small parking spaces. Makes no sense.

It is time for 2 sizes of parking space. Small and Large. single or double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I don't know why we keep making small parking spaces. Makes no sense.

To fit more people into the car park....then slap a big sign up saying you are not responsible for any damage

Hence why most cars these days have every panels battered

i wonder if it comes with bulletproof glass.
    not that i'm making any value judgement on a lot of people who'd consider buying it, of course.

You'll have to take that up with Arnie...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-goods/2020/1/2/20992114/hummer-masculinity-america-humvee-schwarzenegger

millb wrote: »

Some car parks have some spots marked as compact cars only. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The future is hybrids with a big electric only range. Manufacturers are slow to realise that.

The new KIA Sorento PHEV, sold out and no idea when it will be available to order when I checked....it has a 50km range on it. Which is plenty for most people on day to day usage

• Advertisement

To fit more people into the car park....then slap a big sign up saying you are not responsible for any damage

Hence why most cars these days have every panels battered

True and most car parks are private.

Considering the lack of parking in new housing I'm not sure the govt would even want to suggest making parking spots bigger.

It's interesting when you drive in the States how small European cars seem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

millb wrote: »

And double the price of parking for the double size vehicles.

The new KIA Sorento PHEV, sold out and no idea when it will be available to order when I checked....it has a 50km range on it. Which is plenty for most people on day to day usage

Oh theres few BMW's and Volvo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

In my honest opinion, people buy them because its the trend much like the phones, "oh john mary bought a SUV/crossover I must have them aswell" I see it at work all the time, when somebody bought big bulky SUV another one will buy a much bigger one bloody hell. When I bought the fluence saloon they all told me at work oh why did you not qashqai or juke instead. Fck off

I'm a person that would not spend too much money on a thing that depreciate ones you brought it out of the shop, that you will only use for A to B. But sure keep buying this SUV/crossover I'll just wait, there will be plenty of saloons for the like of skoda superb/ a6 to choose from when it goes down in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I would suggest the reason why they are unpopular is that they are usually being

driven by middle aged ladies who have no idea how to properly drive or park such

a large vehicle.

No, I'm not a sexist but that's what I'm seeing when I'm on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

I drive an 'SUV', About 2200kg kerb weight, 2.8 Diesel with no DPF/Cat on it and yes it has a massive bullbar.... I can just about get it under normal carpark height restrictions.

And its fcuking brilliant!!

I would suggest the reason why they are unpopular is that they are usually being ...

Well the vehicles are popular which is why we see so many.

But the thread title was why do no people "Hate" on SUV drivers. But nothing to back this up. People hate bad drivers. It's unlikely that all SUV drivers are bad drivers. So it's a nonsensical thread title anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Think its more down to the safety measures volvo have designed

Volvo intend that no-one dies in (or is killed by) any of their cars.

Here's a question for all the suv bashers on this thread.
    What do ye all drive and the reason you bought why you bought it.

Just for the record I drive a

2005 Xc90, it's in mint condition.
    I love the extra space inside and the high driving position.

Mondeo. Needed room for the kids in the back, and wanted a big boot, which crossovers don't seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

McGaggs wrote: »
    Volvo intend that no-one dies in (or is killed by) any of their cars.

The new Xc90 is the safest car in the world. What more do you need.
    Would rather have my kids safe than worry about what people think of my Xc90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

The PHEV element is what makes them more appealing. 30km on battery.

Plus it used to be the biggest seller in the UK because of the PHEV, loads bought as company vehicles. You can pick them up cheap in warranty in the UK but also laods of dealers buying 80k mile versions for next to nothing in UK because out of warranty, then slapping a big margin and selling in Ireland, easy money

The story goes that the charging cables are still wrapped and sitting in the boot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i'd prefer them to manage to achieve that in a vehicle that's not the size of a small church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Here's a question for all the suv bashers on this thread.
    What do ye all drive and the reason you bought why you bought it.

Just for the record I drive a

2005 Xc90, it's in mint condition.
    I love the extra space inside and the high driving position.

Audi A6, I'm a badge snob and I wouldn't drive anything outside the holy trinity of audi, bmw and Mercedes.

I had loads of bmws before this audi and I just wanted something for a change, but I didn't want anything with indicators.

And wanted to retain use of the German premium outside lane on the motorway, the one without the speed limit.

Would rather have my kids safe than worry about what people think of my Xc90

I'm agreeing with you here. Volvo have come out and said they intend that none of their cars will kill a pedestrian, as well as no-one inside the cars dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The XC90 that nearly left hooked me from my bicycle yesterday sure as hell didn't feel safe from my point of view.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGrath5 wrote: »
    The XC90 that nearly left hooked me from my bicycle yesterday sure as hell didn't feel safe from my point of view.

So what your saying is the car successfully avoided hitting you :rolleyes:
    On a serious note, that probably does need to be the next technology improvement, offside senors to prevent left hook incidents

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

McGrath5 wrote: »

Maybe if you had an XC90 instead of a push bike you'd be safer?
    Like Americans say they would be much safer if everyone had a gun.

Maybe if you had an XC90 instead of a push bike you'd be safer?
    Like Americans say they would be much safer if everyone had a gun.

Tank not looking so silly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

E36Ross wrote: »
    I drive an 'SUV', About 2200kg kerb weight, 2.8 Diesel with no DPF/Cat on it and yes it has a massive bullbar....

Why?

http://www.advanceddrivers.com/2017/09/18/crash-bull-bars-on-vehicles-cause-more-danger-than-they-prevent/

Advertisement