Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options
  • 05-04-2021 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

It can be annoying in a car park when an suv parks beside you its difficult to see when trying to reverse out of a parking spot if you are in a car.
    Maybe it's because they think they are more superior in their piles of junk, I have driven basically everything so I have my own opinion but I'd just like others perspective

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

forestgirl wrote: »
    It can be annoying in a car park when an suv parks beside you its difficult to see when trying to reverse out of a parking spot if you are in a car.
    Maybe it's because they think they are more superior in their piles of junk, I have driven basically everything so I have my own opinion but I'd just like others perspective

Reverse into the space, and save the hate for something more worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t see the link between the 2 different parts of your post.

I tend to reverse into spaces, and usually park in a far away corner of the car park so I’m not really inconvenienced much.
    We don’t really have proper SUVs in Ireland, mostly crossovers. I would be a bit twitchy about parking beside anything that has big doors, child seats, or dents.

To answer the thread title, I don’t think people hate SUV drivers especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I would never hate anyone for their choice of car, I couldn’t care less. In saying that I really don’t like SUV’s but who cares what a person on the internet thinks anyway.
    Mind you when I see someone in a car I love I usually think that they are incredibly cool and probably sound though...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Water2626262

I don’t particularly hate SUV’s but i do hate being behind one in traffic and having my view completely blocked and not knowing what’s going on.

I’d probably love one if I was given one in the morning but at the same time I think they are an awful waste and a bit obnoxious (as a city car). Would much prefer a 3 litre saloon or estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

They're big, heavy and if you're hit by one you'll be worse off. They're also not very spacious for the size and tend to be driven by people who think VAG make great cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't think many people hate SUV drivers.

However there are quite a few who don't wish to become SUV drivers.

tend to be driven by people who think VAG make great cars.

Those people are just the worst :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I don't hate SUV drivers, but I do dislike most SUVs intensely.

I can't understand for the life of me why people are willing to spend tens of thousands more (in some cases) for cars that are heavier, slower, dearer to buy, dearer to run, less comfortable, less economical, less environmentally friendly, noisier, bigger, less aerodynamic, less agile and worse handling than the saloon or estate car on which they are based.

The mind truly boggles why people pay a lot more for cars that are a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Allinall wrote: »
    Reverse into the space,
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    ...I tend to reverse into spaces, ...

Do This !

Reverse in drive out is proven to be safer than the opposite

( People hate SUV drivers ? - I doubt it )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭User1998

Jealousy perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hate hate people who say hate on

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

If you've ever been on a twisty narrow road with a load of blind bends, and met one of these monsters barrelling round a blind bend at speed, nearly wiping you out in the process, I think you could be forgiven for hating the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

forestgirl wrote: »

Are you still in the parking space and do you need men's advice on next steps? :P

#SOS #Evergreen #ForestGirl #SUVcanal

Unless there's Voodoo at work, the SUV driver's psychological state and self-identification shouldn't affect the field of view from chez toi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

I am annoyed by the way the drivers think they are driving a bus. Pulling wide into the lane to their left when making a 90° right turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If you've ever been on a twisty narrow road with a load of blind bends, and met one of these monsters barrelling round a blind bend at speed, nearly wiping you out in the process, I think you could be forgiven for hating the driver.

If my aunt....drove a SUV...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Farmers are getting down on them now towing 12ft Williams twin axle boxes with them. They seem to be a one for all shoe fit from the farmer to the mammy school run thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Selfish car to own unless you need it for work.

Race to the bottom environmentally. And they lead to a arms race where people are getting one to compete for space, "safety" and superiority on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I am annoyed by the way the drivers think they are driving a bus. Pulling wide into the lane to their left when making a 90° right turn.

The last time I saw that carry on it was an ol' wan in a brand new Auris

That behaviour makes me explode. To be be honest it afflicts bad drivers of all size cars. Swing my micra right so I can make this left turn (despite having enough space for an articulated truck to make the turn)

Selfish car to own unless you need it for work.

Race to the bottom environmentally. And they lead to a arms race where people are getting one to compete for space, "safety" and superiority on the road.

When corona ends and people get back to being concerned about the environment and urban traffic I could see range rovers etc in cities being a growing target for protestors etc. Would turn me off buying one (among about 1000 other reasons).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

I'd love an SUV and to live in some wilderness. Maybe wild life ranger in some US national park. The dream.

But I don't need one to go to Lidl or on the N7.

I did see some lady dropping off stuff to the recycle place and she had a huge German Shepherd sticking his head out the window in one. And I must admit I was envious.

She's probably loaded and has loads of space.

I didn't hate her or her car.

But these things take legs and suddenly everone is getting one, even the people who can't afford one. It's like there is a collective sticking of heads in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

There are a few genuine reasons why an SUV / crossover might make sense.

1. You need to put small children into baby seats and having to stoop down to do so is awkward.
    2. You are elderly or have a condition limiting your mobility and again do not want to be stooping down to get in.
    3. You have a horsebox, boat or caravan to tow and the vehicle offers higher towing capacity.

Otherwise, it is a vehicle that is inferior in every measurable way to a regular car while costing extra, takes up extra road space and some may consider it environmentally objectionable. Any hate is likely due to these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

There probably isn't a car out there that isn't hated.

Whether it's a sports car, exotic, SUV, premium brand or cheaper brand, someone out there will dislike it.

Its a closed minded thing I reckon. If I don't drive this type car no one should.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

rdhma wrote: »

Otherwise, it is a vehicle that is inferior in every measurable way to a regular car while costing extra, takes up extra road space and some may consider it environmentally objectionable. Any hate is likely due to these reasons.

They don't really take up more room apart from height wise. A Range Rover or X5 are probably the biggest SUVs on Irish roads, both 5m in length. A full size sedan such as S-class or XJ are longer. All the above are probably in the same price range.

The Hyundai Santa is shorter than a 5 series, a Quasqai is shorter than a 3 series etc. I have no desire to own an SUV but somepeople think they are massive beasts which they are not. I agree with them being inferior to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

They do tend to be wider, which is a bit awkward on narrow rural roads and crowded car parks e.g. Hyundai i40 is not a small car, Hyundai Santa Fe is slightly shorter, but 75mm wider.

The Tesla model X takes the biscuit at 206mm wider than a Mercedes E class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

User1998 wrote: »
    Jealousy perhaps

It’s perfectly reasonable to dislike something, sometimes for valid reasons, without any jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I can't understand for the life of me why people are willing to spend tens of thousands more (in some cases) for cars that are heavier, slower, dearer to buy, dearer to run, less comfortable, less economical, less environmentally friendly, noisier, bigger, less aerodynamic, less agile and worse handling than the saloon or estate car on which they are based.

Totally agree with all of the above and also always worry about pedestrian safety too. If you are hit by a car at 30-40kmh you will most likely come away with injuries but if a SUV hits you at the same speed it will most likely kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

maddness wrote: »
    Totally agree with all of the above and also always worry about pedestrian safety too. If you are hit by a car at 30-40kmh you will most likely come away with injuries but if a SUV hits you at the same speed it will most likely kill you.

Spot on. Knew a poor lad years ago, who was outside a pub at the end of Clonliffe Rd, on the Drumcondra Rd, amongst a crowd that had spilled out onto the footpath (it was a match day). Lost his bearings and was ploughed into by some assh*** in a big jeep or whatever WITH BULLBARS. Killed instantly, and badly broken up. Poor boy, poor parents. I thought those bullbars were illegal... still see them occasionally.

we should remember the difference between an SUV and a crossover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I need mine to tow up to 3.5T

It has to be heavy to be stable on the road and it needs a powerful high capacity engine to do that comfortably etc

It's pretty nice for long motorway drives too

Advertisement