Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

oh, i think most people are aware of the difference, i just think in many cases we don't see the relevance?
    i don't care whether a car is four wheel drive or two wheel drive for example, that's not the issue people generally seem to be complaining about.

People are just seeing a vehicle on the road like a Tuscon or a Rav4 or something like that, calling it an SUV in their head and then making loads of wild jumps in their head about it being bad for the environment etc and that the driver is obviously an utter backstard.

Ultimately the vast majority of "SUV's" are just saloon cars with a different bodyshape on top that just happens to be fashionable right now.

Hating people who drive them (as a lot of twats on this tread are trying to justify) is about as pointless as hating people who wear drink frappachinos, grow beards or listen to Led Zepplin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

sebdavis wrote: »
    Just to confirm

You have SUV and then you have Crossovers, then compact crossovers etc. None of these should ever be called a SUV

A Toyota Land Cruiser is a SUV and can be seen pulling a trailer load of cattle on the road

A Crossover and all the members of its family can be seen in urban areas carrying little Johnnie and Mary to school. More commonly called “soccer Mam car”

The majority of people on this thread seem unaware of the difference

A Nissan Juke is not a SUV

Nissan call it a "compact SUV"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

BnB wrote: »
    People are just seeing a vehicle on the road like a Tuscon or a Rav4 or something like that, calling it an SUV in their head and then making loads of wild jumps in their head about it being bad for the environment etc
    well, a lot of the extra environmental impact will be due to extra height due to increased air resistance; so if a car has a similar body shape to a 'true' SUV, this is a relevant point, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

Hating people who drive them (as a lot of twats on this tread are trying to justify) is about as pointless as hating people who wear drink frappachinos, grow beards or listen to Led Zepplin

Oh dear I really need to take a good hard look at myself....I mean I don't drink frappachinos so that's a bright spot in an otherwise reprehensible selection of life choices I've made I guess.:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just picking up on this point; it's been made several times in the thread that what someone else chooses to drive is none of anyone else's business.

well, if people feel that way, don't take your large chunk of private property out in public. you've bought a vehicle almost by definition to be used on shared public property, so i'd argue it's *not* the same as judging you on what coffee you drink.

to pick up your led zeppelin analogy; if you choose to listen to zep out loud in public, you kinda *have* made it my business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

just picking up on this point; it's been made several times in the thread that what someone else chooses to drive is none of anyone else's business.

well, if people feel that way, don't take your large chunk of private property out in public. you've bought a vehicle almost by definition to be used on shared public property, so i'd argue it's *not* the same as judging you on what coffee you drink.

to pick up your led zeppelin analogy; if you choose to listen to zep out loud in public, you kinda *have* made it my business.

Can I listen to led zeppelin on a moderate setting with the windows rolled up?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

beauf wrote: »
    Nissan call it a "compact SUV"

Toyota also say they have a "self charging hybrid" which is a lie and is banned in some countries.

Car companies will slap anything on a car to sell it, just look at the VW scandal and all the other manufacturers who done the exact same thing.

oh, i think most people are aware of the difference, i just think in many cases we don't see the relevance?
    i don't care whether a car is four wheel drive or two wheel drive for example, that's not the issue people generally seem to be complaining about.

A SUV is built as an SUV, it is built to pull trailers, large horsepower and no consideration for how much is blowing out the tail pipe

Most Crossovers are a car with a few cm's added to stick them into the "SUV bracket". They also wouldn't pull snow off a rope.

The 4 wheel drive as well, you will have proper 4 wheel drive on SUV....then you have "All Wheel Drive" on the Crossover. Bit of a difference

All done by marketing fo course but in real World a huge difference.

Toyota also say they have a "self charging hybrid" which is a lie and is banned in some countries.

Car companies will slap anything on a car to sell it
    my favourite is the phrase 'mild hybrid'.
    there's nothing hybrid about it, it's just an automatic stop/start system.

A SUV is built as an SUV, it is built to pull trailers, large horsepower and no consideration for how much is blowing out the tail pipe
    a utility vehicle so?
    in general, there isn't dislike for vehicles which are actually used for those purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

a utility vehicle so?
    in general, there isn't dislike for vehicles which are actually used for those purposes.

Why the "sports" in SUV?
    What sport does it play? Tennis?

a utility vehicle so?

I am just trying to clarify, the title of the thread mentions SUV but in reality it is Crossovers they are talking about.

If you qualify the question and ask people, the issue is not with SUV's, the issue is with Crossovers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There wasn't the same hate for minivans when they were popular, despite being pretty much the same height.

is an outlander an SUV or a crossover, for example?
    any mention of it i can see (including in the motoring press) refer to it as an SUV. and you commonly see them being used as family cars here; i'd hazard that there are far more being used as family cars as actual utility vehicles.
    i've seen multiple outlanders pass the window today, in fact one has gone past as i was typing (i live on a busy road)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

We bought an XC90...does that count?

liamog wrote: »
    There wasn't the same hate for minivans when they were popular, despite being pretty much the same height.
    like the espace say? the internet was still relatively young in terms of people expressing their opinions of them in this way. and they weren't nearly as ubiquitous, if my memory is correct?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It belongs to the EuroNCAP J-Segment which is a category that covers everything from the Dacia Duster up to a Toyota Land Cruiser.

as an SUV? again, according to the motoring press, yes.

is an outlander an SUV or a crossover, for example?
    any mention of it i can see (including in the motoring press) refer to it as an SUV. and you commonly see them being used as family cars here; i'd hazard that there are far more being used as family cars as actual utility vehicles.
    i've seen multiple outlanders pass the window today, in fact one has gone past as i was typing (i live on a busy road)

Outlander in reality is a SUV because of the diesel version and it was designed as a SUV.
    The reason it is now popular with families is because of the PHEV element and you will see the majority are PHEV and not the diesel version. Even the PHEV still has a good pulling power.

The XC90 is a 100k SUV when new. Small bit of a difference when you compare it to a Qashqai/Juke :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

The XC90 is a 100k SUV when new. Small bit of a difference when you compare it to a Qashqai/Juke :P

Tell me about it!

Although we bought a one year old one.

All crossovers are SUV's, some SUVs are not crossovers. (at least for statistical reporting reasons such as SUVs sales up in 2021)
    Crossover really refers to whether the SUV is a unibody construction vs a body on frame vehicle.

The outlander is defined as a Compact Crossover SUV, i.e. it's the size of a C-Segment car, but an SUV. Which means it has a increased ride height and styled a certain way.

anyway, even if you don't dislike drivers of expensive SUVs, they may dislike you.

If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html

interesting to note though that the finnish study also cited in that article found not only that assholes are drawn to expensive cars, conscientious people are too. that was based on surveying people with questionnaires rather than actually measuring behaviour.

Good example, the Nissan Leaf is a C-Segment Hatchback with a height of 1.55M. The Nissan Juke is a J-Segment sports utility car with a height of 1.59M.
    The 4cm difference is immaterial, it's largely down to however the manufacturer styles the vehicle.

Sales of Juke's will be listed as SUV sales in statistics.

Why the "sports" in SUV?
    What sport does it play? Tennis?

Fishing, shooting, hunting, boating, Mountain Bikes, adventure sports that generally require you to get to more remote and dirt trails and roads.

Makes more sense in countries that actually have mountains and remote areas.

https://driving.ca/jeep/cherokee/auto-news/news/top-10-the-pioneering-suvs-that-started-it-all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

BBC did a show on suv in london a few years back,brought a woman out to an off road course in her discovery she hadnt a clue about hill descent assist or anything!!

beauf wrote: »
    Fishing, shooting, hunting, boating, Mountain Bikes, adventure sports that generally require you to get to more remote and dirt trails and roads.
    i would assume it would refer more to the sport of offroading/green laning. a sports car like a ferrari is not called a sports car because you can use it to drive to a football match.

liamog wrote: »

People think Minivans and MPVs are uncool, and boring.

But I guess people don't really buy them unless they need one.

So I guess maybe don't get the same derision as someone going for a latte in a hummer.

i would assume it would refer more to the sport of offroading/green laning. a sports car like a ferrari is not called a sports car because you can use it to drive to a football match.

Well they originated in the US. Where outdoor stuff like is far more common and the terrain is far more challenging as is the weather. If you look at vintage ads its all about going camping up the mountains, fishing, towing stuff, getting up to the cabin for the weekend. You can drive from the desert to snow in the mountains for skiing, in the same day over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If it doesnt have 4wd its a crossover, if it doesnt have a low range gearbox its an SUV , if it has a low range box its a propper 4x4

Advertisement