Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Have you not seen examples in other areas of people with irrational hatred of things with perceived high cost of entry?
    People will jump through hoops to justify why the thing they don't have is not worth having at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

but the one advantage of visibility you mentioned as an advantage was not kerbing your wheels?
    an expensive way of protecting your wheels, no?
    which i still don't see the logic of.

another poster said

''It’s actually harder to negotiate tight corners like car parks''

iv never had an issue with tight car parks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

liamog wrote: »
    Have you not seen examples in other areas of people with irrational hatred of things with perceived high cost of entry?
    People will jump through hoops to justify why the thing they don't have is not worth having at all.
    of course i have.
    but that doesn't mean everyone does it. it's a completely disingenuous argument to use in a thread where people are for the most part engaging in debate in good faith, and willing to discuss their reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

another poster said

''It’s actually harder to negotiate tight corners like car parks''

iv never had an issue with tight car parks.

Yeah or 'harder to park'

I daily a Range Rover around Dublin City and have never found it hard to navigate streets or fit in to parking spots.

The only problem places are multi storey car parks like the Irish life or Fleet Street which are problems for any medium or larger car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

of course i have.
    but that doesn't mean everyone does it. it's a completely disingenuous argument to use in a thread where people are for the most part engaging in debate in good faith, and willing to discuss their reasons.

Well so far, I'm failing to see any consistent argument other than sight lines on large American pickup trucks, and the SUVs that are built on similar platforms.

How that quite extends to the common SUVs on Irish roads like Qashqai's I'm still failing to see.

• Advertisement

Yeah or 'harder to park'

I daily a Range Rover around Dublin City and have never found it hard to navigate streets or fit in to parking spots.

The only problem places are multi storey car parks like the Irish life or Fleet Street which are problems for any medium or larger car.

Im down in lovely Co Clare. plenty of open air here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yeah or 'harder to park'

Try the quik park on queens St. First level down is no issue. Getting to the next is tight and you risk clipping your rear left wheel off the kerb on turn. I get around it with a estate skoda superb and park sensors screaming all around but I always wonder how the big SUV’s like yours get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Damien360 wrote: »
    Try the quik park on queens St. First level down is no issue. Getting to the next is tight and you risk clipping your rear left wheel off the kerb on turn. I get around it with a estate skoda superb and park sensors screaming all around but I always wonder how the big SUV’s like yours get around it.

It probably would be a bit of a challenge, that said those type of car parks would be problems for someone in a 5 series. A badly designed carpark or 2 isn't going to stop me driving what I want ha :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well so far, I'm failing to see any consistent argument other than sight lines on large American pickup trucks, and the SUVs that are built on similar platforms.
    as i mentioned, for me the main thing i find myself disliking about them is their unnecessary height; people who drive them often claim the increased visibility is a bonus, but that increased visibility comes almost by definition at a cost of reduced visibility for other road users, so it's kind of an arms race in the visibility stakes.
    if you're sitting in your car at a junction, and someone driving a car of equal height pulls alongside, it's obviously not going to affect your visibility as much as someone pulling alongside in a vehicle whose door handle you are now staring at.
    and from a pedestrian or cyclist point of view, they also affect sightlines, etc.
    i used to - before the pox hit - do 20km each way on the bike to get to work. and it *is* safer to cycle behind a car you can see over. you have much more chance of anticipating what that driver might do if you can also see what they're seeing.
    out walking, you can step out from behind a 'normal' car and the oncoming motorist will have been able to see you, and you to have seen them. with a car six foot tall, both of you have lost advantage here.

as i mentioned, for me the main thing i find myself disliking about them is their unnecessary height; people who drive them often claim the increased visibility is a bonus, but that increased visibility comes almost by definition at a cost of reduced visibility for other road users, so it's kind of an arms race in the visibility stakes.
    if you're sitting in your at a junction, and someone driving a car of equal height pulls alongside, it's obviously not going to affect your visibility as much as someone pulling alongside in a vehicle whose door handle you are now staring at.
    and from a pedestrian or cyclist point of view, they also affect sightlines, etc.
    i used to - before the pox hit - do 20km each way on the bike to get to work. and it *is* safer to cycle behind a car you can see over. you have much more chance of anticipating what that driver might do if you can also see what they're seeing.
    out walking, you can step out from behind a 'normal' car and the oncoming motorist will have been able to see you, and you to have seen them. with a car six foot tall, both of you have lost advantage here.

We all drive different vehicles the world would be very boring if every vehicle was the same.

As for your points , you have to be responsible for your own safety.
    Im not going to worry about ''reduced visibility for other road users''

• Advertisement

We all drive different vehicles the world would be very boring if every vehicle was the same.

yeah, that's a common response.

the world would be very boring if every vehicle was the same.
    though that did give me a chuckle, that what is preventing the world from being boring is that some people drive cars over a foot taller than other cars, and that's what keeps life exciting.

Ahh yes, I do agree with you here, I kind of missed it with all the arguing about what is an SUV and driver sight lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I think you've nailed it, why do people hate on SUV drivers? because they can afford to buy them.

The old "dont mind them there only jealous!!11" argument gives far more of an insight into the minds of the kind of people who justify to themselves the expense of buying financing a far bigger car than they need. Like most people in full-time employment, I could easily afford a PCP deal on a Tucson or a Qashqai if I was that way inclined.

Personally, I dislike non-4x4 SUVs because they make no utilitarian sense, and also because throughout the >40 hours I spend on urban and suburban roads every week, I see them being driven particularly badly in comparison with other vehicles.

Someone earlier in the thread cited better visibility as a practical reason for owning one, because in all the years he's been driving a 4x4, he's never kerbed an alloy. It'd be cheaper to just learn to drive properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Along with blocking the sightlines for other normal car users and blocking sightlines for people trying to get out of parking spaces, SUV drivers are usually totally distracted and spend more time with theor heads half twisted back trying to referee in car fights between their kids or switching their tables on/off and generally being a danger to themsleves and everyone else on the road.

That and the fear of what the football team of infants and jaded kids will do to your paintwork when they are released simultaneously from their boosters.

.anon. wrote: »
    The old "dont mind them there only jealous!!11" argument gives far more of an insight into the minds of the kind of people who justify to themselves the expense of buying financing a far bigger car than they need. Like most people in full-time employment, I could easily afford a PCP deal on a Tucson or a Qashqai if I was that way inclined.

You are the second person to make it, but I still don't get the point. It's nobody else's business as to why I spend money on the things I do, whether I choose to drive a 2005 Yaris or 2020 Mini is my decision to make.

If anybody chooses to have an opinion on what I do with my money, then yes I'm going to blame jealousy, because quite frankly why else would it occupy any of their thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

SUVs are largely a fashion statement. I like them, but they are some of the most inefficient vehicles around.

It would be someone bringing the kids to school in a tank, because they like tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

beauf wrote: »
    SUVs are largely a fashion statement. I like them, but they are some of the most inefficient vehicles around.

It would be someone bringing the kids to school in a tank, because they like tanks.

Yeah but think how cool it’ll be when Mammy rolls up to pick up Tarquinius in a hummer EV .... and she is being kind to the planet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

NSAman wrote: »
    Yeah but think how cool it’ll be when Mammy rolls up to pick up Tarquinius in a hummer EV .... and she is being kind to the planet!

Be cooler in an actual tank.

Bit smoky maybe... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3lf2i5mWc&ab_channel=MasterMilo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

You are the second person to make it, but I still don't get the point. It's nobody else's business as to why I spend money on the things I do, whether I choose to drive a 2005 Yaris or 2020 Mini is my decision to make.

If anybody chooses to have an opinion on what I do with my money, then yes I'm going to blame jealousy, because quite frankly why else would it occupy any of their thoughts.

The proliferation of the things in urban areas is everyone's business. The amount of public space they occupy is everyone's business. That they're so often driven by people who show no awareness of their surroundings is everyone's business.

They're marketed so aggressively nowadays, and credit is so cheap, I don't blame people for buying them. I blame the manufacturers for creating something so obnoxious, and also governments for enabling this by focusing too heavily on emissions and not incentivising smaller cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

This whole argument of not being able to see the road ahead of an SUV is bollox

What's wrong that you can't stay safe by just keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you ? Why do you have to see the road up ahead ?

Simple answer is you don't !

Too many times I've been driving a bus/coach/truck and I'd be moving along work traffic in front of me and when I look in the mirror there's always some clown up my hole and poking of the right hand side of me to either push me on or get ahead of me.

All just to see the road ahead ? Bollox.

Keep a safe distance behind and you won't need to see the road ahead, look at the vehicle in front of you and don't be up it's arse. You'll see more too.

At the rate some people in this thread are going we'll have to remove Vans, trucks, buses and all sorts from the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any practical advice for two week old babies on taking responsibility for their own safety?

https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/1379166345451868161?s=19

The thing though is that there's nothing else you'll buy which is so large and costs so much, and which many people *do* use as a statement of their wealth, which by definition, is used in public and which everyone else will have to see/deal with as you use it.
    If you spent 5k on a watch, I wouldn't notice (or care), and same would be the case if you collected art.

I know loads of people with what you could argue are unnecessarily expensive cars - my father in law drives a long wheelbase 7 series, which has a bigger ground footprint than enormous merc GLS mentioned earlier in the thread, but I don't really have a problem with that because it doesn't affect me as another road user. My BIL drives a Porsche, and someone else I know 'drives'* two ferraris, but they're great, a ten year old could see over them.

*At least one is not drivable. Needs a new timing chain, and that's 12k job iirc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't mind them tbh. They are what they are. Yes they're bloated and too big in many ways, but cars have gotten more bloated and bigger anyway. A 1970's BMW could be carried in the boot of a 2021 example. Our lives themselves and many of us have become pretty bloated so..

People buy them for all sorts of reasons. They're easier to get child seats in and out of I gather, some need them for actual reasons like towing and the like, they certainly feel safer for many, though mostly I suspect people buy them because it's a current trend and their suburban neighbours bought one. As it's always been.

However and though not an SUV I would suggest anyone who bought a Skoda Roomster should just be taken out and shot to reduce the risk of polluting the human gene pool any further.

roomster-051.jpg

That abomination is so bereft of any understanding of proportion and aesthetics that any person with two functioning eyeballs who walked into a dealership and slapped down money to buy one is not deserving of life. Yeah they can give me an itch in the centre of my head alright. :D I have been tempted to enquire from owners, why? sweet Jesus, why?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

it's just a cut'n'shut done with two completely different donor cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This whole argument of not being able to see the road ahead of an SUV is bollox

What's wrong that you can't stay safe by just keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you ? Why do you have to see the road up ahead ?

Simple answer is you don't
    Bingo. If I can't see the road ahead because of a car or truck or bus I quite simply don't drive around them until I can see the road ahead.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

it's just a cut'n'shut done with two completely different donor cars.
    I count three. :D From the bumper to the A pillar it's grand and it feels perfectly fine, then from the A to the B pillar it's holy... WTF? and then they grafted a van on the back and got a double glazing salesman to install windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We are plagued by them here in D14. There is one particular private school on Mount Anville road where you can see a hoard of them parked two deep on the roadside to pick up their kids daily with zero fcuks given for other road users. It's frankly bizarre to see how bad the driving is from the people driving them as most are clearly out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Why do people hate on Rice Krispies?

It can be annoying in the kitchen when you pour Rice Krispies and they go everywhere and someone else comes along and pours a bowl of some other cereal and, while your still cleaning up the Rice Krispies, they tuck into their wholesome breakfast. Maybe it's because they think they are more superior with their fancy Special K, I have eaten basically every cereal so I have my own opinion but I'd just like others perspective.

In other news, I just picked my nose.

• Advertisement

Here's a question for all the suv bashers on this thread.
    What do ye all drive and the reason you bought why you bought it.

Just for the record I drive a

2005 Xc90, it's in mint condition.
    I love the extra space inside and the high driving position.

Advertisement