Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Ladies and Gents

Introducing Toyota's all new b segment "SUV"-

YARIS Cross Adventure, and if CHR wasn't enough here's another so called "SUV" for toyota fans. Bloody hell

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Ladies and Gents

Introducing Toyota's all new b segment "SUV"-

YARIS Cross Adventure, and if CHR wasn't enough here's another so called "SUV" for toyota fans. Bloody hell

Careful, according to some people because that car's a little bit taller, it's responsible for all the worlds woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Love my Volvo XC90. High seating position is a godsend, full adult 7 seats comes in very handy. Dont care about speed just waft about in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Love my Volvo XC90. High seating position is a godsend, full adult 7 seats comes in very handy. Dont care about speed just waft about in comfort.

It so high You might need stairs to get of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Just saw a Sky News UK piece that stated that 75% of SUVs were registered to people living in towns and cities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find bemusing the claim from volvo that no one in an xc90 will die after 2020. it's going to achieve it through sheer bulk.
    looks like the minimum kerb weight is 2.1 tons.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just saw a Sky News UK piece that stated that 75% of SUVs were registered to people living in towns and cities.

Are you telling us that most cars are registered in the places where most people live?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s specifically large SUVs sold new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

liamog wrote: »
    Are you telling us that most cars are registered in the places where most people live?
    i assume the implication is that most people who drive SUVs are not using them for fording rivers or pulling upended cows out of ditches.

• Advertisement

e.g.
    The royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea is in the top three districts for the sale of large SUVs, said the report. More Range Rovers were sold in Kensington and Chelsea than anywhere else; with one in 10 new cars registered in the borough belonging to the Land Rover brand of SUV.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/07/stereotype-of-chelsea-tractor-reflects-reality-of-urban-suv-sales-says-report

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So you’re saying rich people are buying Range Rovers?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s specifically large SUVs sold new.

If you go to the data, you'll see that it's not. Here's a table from the report.
    To me the report show's a statistically insignificant split between the types of cars registered in urban and rural areas, except for Large SUVs which are more likely to registered in rural areas.
    These include the BMW 5 Series and X5,
    Mercedes-Benz E Class, the Land Rover Discovery, Range
    Rover and Range Rover Sport, the Audi A6 and Q7 and the
    Volvo XC90.

549504.PNG

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ebd0080238e863d04911b51/t/6065dbeb73734b58372d797b/1617288180453/Mindgames+On+Wheels+-+how+advertising+sold+false+promises+of+safety+and+superiority+with+SUVs.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

What’s the advantage of the high seating position? I recently moved from a saloon (Insignia) to a CUV/SUV thing (Model X) because I needed four seats for young children in car seats. I can’t see any benefit to me in being a bit higher off the road. It’s actually harder to negotiate tight corners like car parks but that’s probably something that I’ll adapt to. It is a tiny bit easier when inserting children into their thrones but it’s not so important that I’d cry if it disappeared in the morning.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So you’re saying rich people are buying Range Rovers?

I think you've nailed it, why do people hate on SUV drivers? because they can afford to buy them.

some people like the higher viewpoint. some popular opinion would have you believe that is more common among nervous or more insecure drivers, but i don't know if there's any data to back that claim up.
    that said, i also was curious as to why it's 'a godsend'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think you've nailed it, why do people hate on SUV drivers? because they can afford to buy them.

Absolutely, I always find the more poorly maintained / cheaper a car someone drives, the more likely they are to make a glib remark about cars like a Range Rover.

markpb wrote: »
    What’s the advantage of the high seating position? I recently moved from a saloon (Insignia) to a CUV/SUV thing (Model X) because I needed four seats for young children in car seats. I can’t see any benefit to me in being a bit higher off the road. It’s actually harder to negotiate tight corners like car parks but that’s probably something that I’ll adapt to. It is a tiny bit easier when inserting children into their thrones but it’s not so important that I’d cry if it disappeared in the morning.

Better visibility, ive been driving 4x4 for years never once kerbed an alloy

Good job im 6 foot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The Range Rover comes with deployable side steps to allow shorter people easily climb in, quite handy in reality.

• Advertisement

i'm sure some people do have that reaction. but it'd be kinda funny to tar everyone who has an objection to SUVs with that brush.

Absolutely, I always find the more poorly maintained / cheaper a car someone drives, the more likely they are to make a glib remark about cars like a Range Rover.

I think it goes with pretty much anything in out society, people are so quick to condemn others who spend money on things they don't themselves. I'm sure many people would be annoyed about how much I spend on technology, whereas I don't understand people who spend money on a week in Spain :D

i'm sure some people do have that reaction. but it'd be kinda funny to tar everyone who has an objection to SUVs with that brush.

Is it any more unfair than hating a person solely based on the car they choose to drive?

not sure i follow; i've never kerbed an alloy, and i don't think it's anything to do with a high or low seating position?

Is it any more unfair than hating a person solely based on the car they choose to drive?
    i think this is a case of 'hate the game, don't hate the player'.

there may be people who do hate SUV drivers, but the debate in this thread seems to be more about a dislike/objection to SUVs rather than a dislike of the drivers per se?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Isn’t it proven that the visibility out of taller cars is worse, at least for things or people closer to it?

Trucks are taller again than SUVs and yet they’ve require at least three mirrors on each side and one on the front just so the driver has some home of setting what’s going on. Surely they have amazing visibility?

anyway, a reaction of 'the reason you hate SUVs is because you're jealous' could also speak to insecurity in the person who claims that, rather than insecurity in the people that's aimed at.

markpb wrote: »
    Isn’t it proven that the visibility out of taller vehicles is worse, at least for things or people closer to the car? Trucks are bigger again than SUVs and yet they’ve require at least three mirrors on the sides and one on the front just to see what’s going on. Surely they have amazing visibility?

Well ive owned most types of vehicles, 2 seaters, saloons, estates, coupes and by far the best visibility are the 4x4's i have owned.

but the one advantage of visibility you mentioned as an advantage was not kerbing your wheels?
    an expensive way of protecting your wheels, no?
    which i still don't see the logic of.

• Advertisement

i find bemusing the claim from volvo that no one in an xc90 will die after 2020. it's going to achieve it through sheer bulk.
    looks like the minimum kerb weight is 2.1 tons.

Think its more down to the safety measures volvo have designed

Advertisement