Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2012 octavia. reason i bought it? family member was moving it on, it was going for a steal, and in perfect nick (only 60k on the clock when i bought it).
    and the octavia is like the tardis. no matter how much you put in it, you'll find space for more.
    it's the 1.2TSi model, enough power and quite economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Range Rover, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Any practical advice for two week old babies on taking responsibility for their own safety?

https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/1379166345451868161?s=19

That was an absolute horrendous thing to happen.

But there are unfortunately people killed every day by all types of vehicles.
    Not all accidents are caused by suv's
    So that's a pointless statement

2012 octavia. reason i bought it? family member was moving it on, it was going for a steal, and in perfect nick (only 60k on the clock when i bought it).
    and the octavia is like the tardis. no matter how much you put in it, you'll find space for more.
    it's the 1.2TSi model, enough power and quite economical.

So would you like to be labeled a farmer for driving that plenty of farmers down here have them, also most are filthy dirty.
    Or labeled a boy Racer because its either or.

I like all types of cars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So that's a pointless statement
    it seems to have been a reaction to your 'i'm alright, jack' reaction to me making the argument that high vehicles make the road more hazardous for other road users - 'your safety is your responsibility' was your comment.
    my safety is my responsibility, *and* yours if you're driving. that's utterly fundamental.

• Advertisement

So would you like to be labeled a farmer for driving that plenty of farmers down here have them, also most are filthy dirty.
    couldn't care less.

couldn't care less.

I doubt SUV drivers care either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wibbs wrote: »

However and though not an SUV I would suggest anyone who bought a Skoda Roomster should just be taken out and shot to reduce the risk of polluting the human gene pool any further.

roomster-051.jpg

That abomination is so bereft of any understanding of proportion and aesthetics that any person with two functioning eyeballs who walked into a dealership and slapped down money to buy one is not deserving of life. Yeah they can give me an itch in the centre of my head alright. :D I have been tempted to enquire from owners, why? sweet Jesus, why?

It's like a car Homer Simpson designed.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I doubt SUV drivers care either.
    some definitely do.

some definitely do.

Ironically, the op seems to drive a VW Tiguan, or at least does a lot of posting about how good they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The World is converting to SUV/Crossover. In America the likes of VW are not selling the new ID.3 because it is a car and they don't buy cars.
    I have a mate who works in Toyota, they find it a lot harder to sell cars anymore and everyone wants a new Crossover/SUV.

Also people calling them SUV's is not right, majority are Crossovers, give it a few years and everything new will be some sort of Crossover.

in general, cars are just getting bigger regardless.

I also couldn't care less what people drive, wear, watch, do.

The world would be a better place if all the Karen's and Keith's kept there opinions to themselves.

well, this *is* an internet discussion forum. the whole raison d'etre of the place is to voice opinions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very much so. About the first thing that hits you when you come upon a vintage/classic car on the road is how tiny cars were for the most part. Sure you have big American stuff in the past and some old Mercs were big solid cars, but overall cars were much smaller in the past. Safety had a large part to play of course. It's easier to make a bigger car safer than a smaller car. You then get bigger overhangs front and back, higher bonnet lines and the like. Plus cars have much more "stuff" in them. Larger more comfortable seats, more space on the inside and all that so will naturally get bigger.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

my mother drove a 2005 micra for years and loved it; it had five doors so she could get the grandkids in, was exceptionally reliable, and was the right size for her too (she says she's 5' tall but is actually 4' 11.5" but won't let anyone deny her that half inch), and when it came time to replace it, she naturally tried the new micra but couldn't get over how bloated it was.
    she ended up getting an i10. i was arguing that an electric car would be more sensible (the car rarely goes more than 5km from the house, so has barely warmed up by the time she gets to her destination), but i think the only real option at the time (small car, five doors) was the zoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This whole argument of not being able to see the road ahead of an SUV is bollox

What's wrong that you can't stay safe by just keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you ? Why do you have to see the road up ahead ?

Simple answer is you don't !

Too many times I've been driving a bus/coach/truck and I'd be moving along work traffic in front of me and when I look in the mirror there's always some clown up my hole and poking of the right hand side of me to either push me on or get ahead of me.

All just to see the road ahead ? Bollox.

Keep a safe distance behind and you won't need to see the road ahead, look at the vehicle in front of you and don't be up it's arse. You'll see more too.

At the rate some people in this thread are going we'll have to remove Vans, trucks, buses and all sorts from the roads.

Seeing more is always better than seeing less.

If you want to drive slowly with constant queue of vehicles behind you that's one thing. But people are allowed to overtake. Nothing wrong with that.

It's a bit hypocritical to argue each to their own, live and let live, then want to dictate how other people drive. That everyone has to keep in a line behind you, because you want to drive slowly.

my mother drove a 2005 micra for years and loved it; it had five doors so she could get the grandkids in, was exceptionally reliable, and was the right size for her too (she says she's 5' tall but is actually 4' 11.5" but won't let anyone deny her that half inch), and when it came time to replace it, she naturally tried the new micra but couldn't get over how bloated it was.
    she ended up getting an i10. i was arguing that an electric car would be more sensible (the car rarely goes more than 5km from the house, so has barely warmed up by the time she gets to her destination), but i think the only real option at the time (small car, five doors) was the zoe.

New Micra is hardly massive.

But that old one with its frog headlights was a bit of an eyesore.

You'd want to be in the bigger car when something like a large SUV hits you. That's where the size makes a big difference.

and we're back to the arms race again; i need a bigger car because someone else is driving a luxobarge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Any practical advice for two week old babies on taking responsibility for their own safety?

The problem is not the car, it's the driver, cars don't hit prams drivers who recklessly control their vehicle do.

• Advertisement

and we're back to the arms race again; i need a bigger car because someone else is driving a luxobarge.

Oh I agree. Only way to stop it is to have govt policies discouraging large vehicles, or encouraging small vehicles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car

At some point they have to realise the environmental impact of oversized vehicles.

That said she the same reason a small car is less suited for high speed long distance driving. A larger one is less suited to urban and city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The way people are going on here, youd swear the Qashqai and the likes were the size of a military humvee

liamog wrote: »
    The problem is not the car, it's the driver, cars don't hit prams drivers who recklessly control their vehicle do.
    he was responding to someone who made this point:
    "As for your points , you have to be responsible for your own safety. "

so he *was* responding to a driver who seems to have outsourced safety issues onto other road users.

garv123 wrote: »
    The way people are going on here, youd swear the Qashqai and the likes were the size of a military humvee

Most of the Crossover are a car just with a bigger set of wheels. I put my old Golf beside one of the Kia Niro "Crossover" and it difference was actually very little in terms of size and height.

actually, one of those larger vehicles which seems to be getting much more popular is the mitsubishi outlander (or at least, i think it's the outlander) PHEV. is it just me, or are they noticeably increasing in number?

I was at local playground the other day(within 5km range and all). We had a collection of the soccer mum SUV's. So X5, XC90, Q7 & Land Rover all in the same car, was interesting to look at them all.

All of them parked so either side you couldn't get a car into the slot, I don't blame the driver either, if they parked and cars parked either side the kids would never get out without damaging both cars.

One of the big issues with buying the large SUV is that modern car parking spaces are just not big enough

garv123 wrote: »

Why do you think there's something wrong with a Humvee?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hummer/h2/fpa/202102118966866?journey=Search

actually, one of those larger vehicles which seems to be getting much more popular is the mitsubishi outlander (or at least, i think it's the outlander) PHEV. is it just me, or are they noticeably increasing in number?

The PHEV element is what makes them more appealing. 30km on battery.

Plus it used to be the biggest seller in the UK because of the PHEV, loads bought as company vehicles. You can pick them up cheap in warranty in the UK but also laods of dealers buying 80k mile versions for next to nothing in UK because out of warranty, then slapping a big margin and selling in Ireland, easy money

32 grand for a 14 year old vehicle? bloody nora. you'd probably want to be on the minimum wage just to afford the road tax.

• Advertisement

sebdavis wrote: »
    ....One of the big issues with buying the large SUV is that modern car parking spaces are just not big enough

I don't know why we keep making small parking spaces. Makes no sense.

Advertisement