Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

FrankC21 wrote: »
    A picture is worth a thousand words

Two "SUV/Crossover" Parked.

You just got the words slightly mixed up...

The Qashqai is parallel parked. The Mazda is passing (veeery) closely.

The original thread has another picture of the Mazda, when it too was parallel parked (and kissing the VW behind it).
    Must be a very touchy feely motor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I saw the original thread, looks like just a terrible driver. The choice of vehicle probably didn't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I was always fairly sceptical about SUV's, or any benefits related to them comparing to regular cars - until I got one.
    Before it was always for me largish saloons for their looks, or hatchbacks for practicality.
    And I got one as price was good, I was planning on exporting and VRT export refund on that particular model was very beneficial for me.
    Honda CRV 2gen (2001 to 2006) petrol.

a) It's very very spacious inside comparing to even largest saloons or hatchbacks. Kids can literally run around. On the back seat 2 adults can sit as nearly comfy as at home on the couch in front of tv.
    b) When i fold the seats I can easily transport a large refrigerator inside. My big MTB fits in without even taking off front wheel.
    c) Towing heavish trailers became much more effortless compared to towing it with smaller cars.
    d) Visibility around from drivers position is best I've seen. Very few dead spots. Higher driver position makes observation of road and surroundings much easier.
    e) Plenty of space in the boot for LPG tank, so cost of fuel can be low.
    f) High clearance means I can easily drive on unpaved roads, some forest roads, sand, mud, etc - which I often do.
    e) 4x4 helps a lot on snow, sand, mud especially in the mountain regions where I drive very often.
    f) It's rather slowish, so I don't collect speeding fines and penalty points too often.

Generally speaking I never though about having SUV as I didn't see any possible benefits of them, yet I got one as it was very good offer finiancially, and I'm very very happy with it. Never had a car which would be so good in so many ways - so comfy and practical.
    So good that acutally year later got another one, so we have 2 now between me and the missus. Cars are oldish now, but as it's still this legendary honda reliablity - nothing really goes wrong with them so I'm definitely not planning on changing them anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hi lads, long time saloon driver here and having my head turned by the temptress jezebel that is the audi etron. Can somebody help? I don't want everyone hating on me.
    I've had 3 x 5 series, 3 x 3 series an alfa 156 and currently in an audi a6. I almost had a deal done on a 530e but etron catching my wandering eye.

Please advise,

Buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Hi lads, long time saloon driver here and having my head turned by the temptress jezebel that is the audi etron. Can somebody help? I don't want everyone hating on me.
    I've had 3 x 5 series, 3 x 3 series an alfa 156 and currently in an audi a6. I almost had a deal done on a 530e but etron catching my wandering eye.

Please advise,

Buddy

Buy it, you won't look back. You probably had more people hating you for owning and Audi or a BMW anyway so nothing new:P

• Advertisement

sebdavis wrote: »
    Buy it, you won't look back. You probably had more people hating you for owning and Audi or a BMW anyway so nothing new:P

But it's an audi SUV! Ah it won't be for a while if I do anyway, it's q4 etron I'm thinking of, not out yet. The original etron is far too expensive

But it's an audi SUV! Ah it won't be for a while if I do anyway, it's q4 etron I'm thinking of, not out yet. The original etron is far too expensive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sebdavis wrote: »
    Buy it, you won't look back.
    are you saying audi drivers don't know how to use the rear view mirrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Does anyone think there is a sexist element to the hatred.

Most people seem to have issues with the Chelsea tractor driven by women but not the commercial type SUVs driven by tradesmen?

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Does anyone think there is a sexist element to the hatred.

Most people seem to have issues with the Chelsea tractor driven by women but not the commercial type SUVs driven by tradesmen?

If you are looking for sexism I am sure you can find it in every thread if you look hard enough.

I'd say its more down to driving a vehicle over and above your needs.
    A range rover for the school run is overkill no matter what anyone says, a landcruiser for a tradesman may be downsizing from a van. I know my father worked from jeeps all his life (discovery/landcruiser/hilux) but he really needed a van to be honest, they werent big enough for all his stuff.

• Advertisement

are you saying audi drivers don't know how to use the rear view mirrors?

Don't need to

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Please advise,

Buddy

Hi Buddy

Some of the usual suspects may hate you for driving a SUV but many more will dislike your use of that awful americanism " Hating on " ;)

Hi Buddy

Some of the usual suspects may hate you for driving a SUV but many more will dislike your use of that awful americanism " Hating on " ;)

Just going with the vibe of the thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume 'hating on' means one can express hate towards people (or SUVs) without actually hating them.
    e.g. 'i don't hate you but i hate your taste in wallpaper'. (the wallpaper in this case being car choice, i guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bought a Hyundai Tucson more or less on a whim this time last year. Herself and a few wish list items - high boot and automatic - mainly due to mobility issues. I was looking for cruise control and a few other toys. Have to say I love it. Would never had had myself as a SUV driver but the comfort and driving position are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Bought a Hyundai Tucson more or less on a whim this time last year. Herself and a few wish list items - igh boot and automatic - mainly due to mobility issues. I was looking for cruise control and a few other toys. Have to say I love it. Would never had had myself as a SUV driver but the comfort and driving position are great.

Would you consider getting running boards put on to your tucson as it would help with mobility issues?
    Just an idea for you to consider,they are expensive though but if you were planning on keeping the car for a few years it would be worth it and also look good to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

forestgirl wrote: »
    Would you consider getting running boards put on to your tucson as it would help with mobility issues?
    Just an idea for you to consider,they are expensive though but if you were planning on keeping the car for a few years it would be worth it and also look good to.

thanks hadn't considered that.

Advertisement