Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anjobe wrote: »
    Weight is not "audience friendly" language for mass, they are fundamentally different quantities.

They're the same thing on this planet, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the context of this thread, a lot of posters are on planets other than Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Nope, but it's not the most egregious error you have made, especially with regard to the application of momentum to collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Since we're butchering leaving cert physics, in a stop start scenario, the kinetic energy is entirely dependent on the power delivered by the engine, for a given power delivery, a lighter car would have been travelling at a higher speed with the same momentum.
    It is not in any way equivalent to the comparison of two cars of different mass travelling at a given speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nope, but it's not the most egregious error you have made, especially with regard to the application of momentum to collisions.

Feel free to point out specific errors relating to this specific context if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think we all know that a SUV hits a much smaller car its a very one sided impact.

Maybe they should make smaller cars, with little ramps front and rear to take advantage of the SUV instability.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

beauf wrote: »
    I think we all know that a SUV hits a much smaller car its a very one sided impact.

If you get the angle right you can make it a two sided impact, you just have to get enough spin into the car you hit.

Feel free to point out specific errors relating to this specific context if you like.

We're going a bit off topic now so I'll leave you to work it out for yourself, but your error is not specific to any specific context, it is a quite general concept that many people have difficulty with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭kirving

Weight is not "audience friendly" language for mass, they are fundamentally different quantities.....

Nobody in the real world actually talks about velocity, mass, or luminance. They talk about what speed they drive, how much they weigh, and the brightness of their phone screen.

Getting into a formal discussion on physics gets absolutely nowhere as there are too many variable for an accurate discussion. In general though, for a given collision a larger car will cause more damage, not just due to weight, but also because it can tend to hit vulnerable areas of the smaller car.

Even Mercedes have recognised this as an issue, and their new S-Class can actually raise up before a collision in an attempt to better protect occupants.

kirving wrote: »
    Getting into a formal discussion on physics gets absolutely nowhere as there are too many variable for an accurate discussion

This is not actually true - it is perfectly possible to model collisions between cars using physics, but not if you dumb it down to the point of meaninglessness and ignoring the vector quantities does just that.

What I do agree with though, is that introducing momentum into the discussion was just a silly attempt to justify a post containing an ill-informed opinion that happened to reinforce the posters own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

forestgirl wrote: »
    It can be annoying in a car park when an suv parks beside you its difficult to see when trying to reverse out of a parking spot if you are in a car.
    Maybe it's because they think they are more superior in their piles of junk, I have driven basically everything so I have my own opinion but I'd just like others perspective

Most haters are just jealous tbf.
    And that goes for everything, not just SUVs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In all seriousness of that judges comments, the victim of the mobile phone using driver was awarded €15,000 which included €1,500 of material damages and expenses.
    I would not use the phrase "knock out blow" to describe €1,500 worth of damage to a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

liamog wrote: »
    In all seriousness of that judges comments, the victim of the mobile phone using driver was awarded €15,000 which included €1,500 of material damages and expenses.
    I would not use the phrase "knock out blow" to describe €1,500 worth of damage to a car.

There is also a good chance the €15000 would have been awarded irrespective of the type of car being driven by the person who rear-ended the Fiesta.

Dav010 wrote: »
    There is also a good chance the €15000 would have been awarded irrespective of the type of car being driven by the person who rear-ended the Fiesta.

The rest of the money is non-material damages, with the way crumple zones are designed it's not difficult to do €1,500 of damage when rear ending someone.

Given the driver appears to have drove into the back of the first car as the lights turn green, I'd guess they just accelerated without looking to see if the first car had moved off. Normally you tend to see these kind of incidents at roundabouts, the type of cars involved probably made little to know difference at all. Engine power rather than momentum did the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betarayjay

as a current SUV driver all i can say is i'm glad i made the switch but tbh as a driver in general ders plenty that bothers me 1. been people that drive into parking space and end up taking 2 spaces, 2. you park in an empty car park like completely empty and some fool goes and parks right beside u not even a space between us i do be like seriously all this open space and you park right beside me......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭maddness

30 pages of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

betarayjay wrote: »
    as a current SUV driver all i can say is i'm glad i made the switch but tbh as a driver in general ders plenty that bothers me 1. been people that drive into parking space and end up taking 2 spaces, 2. you park in an empty car park like completely empty and some fool goes and parks right beside u not even a space between us i do be like seriously all this open space and you park right beside me......

I have a mate who always parks right up beside cars that take two spaces out of mischief.
    His car is a wreck so he doesnt care about dents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

maddness wrote: »
    30 pages of this...

Actually its 23 but who is counting?

We all hate SUV drivers, Prius Drivers (well thats obvious).. but love dem skoda's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

NSAman wrote: »
    Actually its 23 but who is counting?

We all hate SUV drivers, Prius Drivers (well thats obvious).. but love dem skoda's

Hate Skoda

Now splashing Skoda across the back of them just makes them 100 times worse....

I seen one lad had desperately tried to colour in the Skoda with black so it didn’t show up on his black Kodis**t...says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sebdavis wrote: »
    Hate Skoda

I seen one lad had desperately tried to colour in the Skoda with black so it didn’t show up on his black Kodis**t...says it all

You know half of them come with black badges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Hate Skoda

My sister has one of those and they’re lovely. What do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

My sister has one of those and they’re lovely. What do you drive?

A tractor, looks better, sounds better and more comfortable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

A tractor, looks better, sounds better and more comfortable

No it doesn’t, no it doesn’t, and no it isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

A picture is worth a thousand words

Two "SUV/Crossover" Parked.

IMG-20210414-192656.jpg

Reference:

Originally taken from thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058178089

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maddness wrote: »
    30 pages of this...
    simple solution - change your posts per page to 30 (i think the default is 20), and you'll only see 20 pages of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

FrankC21 wrote: »
    And more times on the motorway they fckin tailgate you and flash you that I should give way to them acting like they own the road. Juke and ecosport are bloody horrible looking car hate the look of them.

You should give them the italian tune up Frank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

FrankC21 wrote: »
    A picture is worth a thousand words

Two "SUV/Crossover" Parked.

IMG-20210414-192656.jpg

Reference:

Originally taken from thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058178089
    Hi sorry to barge into this thread of yours, but can I possibly use the photos to post it on

"Why do people hate on SUV drivers?" Thread

Just to give prime example of SUV/crossover owners. If you don't mind?

Edit: do not worry will reference this thread for plagiarism purpose.

Prime example :pac::pac: People never crashed cars, or parked like a d1ick before crossovers came out ?

Prime example of Fluence and Fiesta owners..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are those two cars not just mating?

• Advertisement

I just see two cars that are standard car width parked closely next to each other.
    Was somebody planning on using the vertical space at the top of the cabin for an alternative reason, in which case the fact they are crossovers would of made a difference?

Advertisement