Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Per your own link, the kerb weight is a shade over 2.5 tonnes, still high but its important to keep to facts when you are also claiming that these big cars are driving around empty except for the driver (usually included in the kerb weight).
    cheers, i misread that. i read the gross weight as the kerb weight.
    so happy to correct it - it's like putting five reasonably large adults (100kg each) in my car, and stacking *six* more on the roof. not thirteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Damien360 wrote: »
    If you didn't have 5000 posts, I would have thought you were trolling. How you think that the emissions to actually produce your car including its battery metals and the emissions to produce the electricity magically disappear as soon as you say you bought an EV or PHEV.

They don’t magically disappear, they just aren’t relevant to the carbon emissions measurements of a car when driving, and that is what a car CO2 emission value measures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Wibbs wrote: »
    You're honest about it and fair play. Quite the few out there claim "green" credentials but it's pretty much all self delusion or bullshít.
    yep, there's no such thing as an environmentally friendly car, but unfortunately as per the above discussions, manufacturers have succeeded in obfuscating even further the effect they have on the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

forestgirl wrote: »
    Yes thats true indeed but I think a lot of people buy the 7 seater but use primarily as a 5 seater because it gives the more boot space and of course should the need arise to carry an extra 2 at least the option is there which is probably rare enough with a lot of people

You aren't thinking of families with 5+ then friends, grand parents, and car pooling for sports and matches. Then splitting kids up if arguing on longer journeys. The sheer handiness of throwing a wheelchair or walker in the boot without having to fold it.

We've gone on holidays with 5 and also used a roof box on 7 seater. Though a box on taller vehicle caused us problem with access to car parks, parks and beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dav010 wrote: »
    I have a RR Sport PHEV, 72g/kg CO2, tax €150, most of my journeys are done solely on the electric battery, that’s pretty “green” I’d say.

And, it appears Strumms has a point:

https://www.nextgreencar.com/features/9058/top-10-green-cars-2021/
    Are you serious? Do you think they should include the emissions in production and transportation of the car, the mining of the metal etc?

Well, yes - the lifetime environmental costs of manufacture and disposal of the vehicle are very significant. It takes an awful lot of EV kms to balance out these costs. For most people, the most environmental car is the one they already have, avoiding the environmental cost of putting a new vehicle on the road.

• Advertisement

Well, yes - the lifetime environmental costs of manufacture and disposal of the vehicle are very significant. It takes an awful lot of EV kms to balance out these costs. For most people, the most environmental car is the one they already have, avoiding the environmental cost of putting a new vehicle on the road.

Environment costs of production and disposal of a car are not a consideration for me when buying a car. If you want to walk everywhere, you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

beauf wrote: »
    You aren't thinking of families with 5+ then friends, grand parents, and car pooling for sports and matches. Then splitting kids up if arguing on longer journeys. The sheer handiness of throwing a wheelchair or walker in the boot without having to fold it.

We've gone on holidays with 5 and also used a roof box on 7 seater. Though a box on taller vehicle caused us problem with access to car parks, parks and beaches.

I have a roof box but I didn't bring it to a beach yet I didn't think I'd have a problem with those over head barrier things? Do you think I will? Like suv's with a roof box not really that much higher than a car really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭kirving

Environment costs of production and disposal of a car are not a consideration for me when buying a car.

Environmental costs may not be a consideration for your personally, but it's completely reasonable for others to take issue with that, because your (and my) decisions do directly effect the environment in which others live.

In truth they're probably not a big consideration for me personally either. Arguably, my use case suits a Diesel best in terms of the environment, but I've bought a petrol PHEV for similar reasons to yourself (VRT for the most part) which is guided by our government.

I do try to plug it in when I can, and I think I do enough milage that that manufacture of the battery will be a net benefit by end of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

forestgirl wrote: »
    I have a roof box but I didn't bring it to a beach yet I didn't think I'd have a problem with those over head barrier things? Do you think I will? Like suv's with a roof box not really that much higher than a car really

Well I did with a MPV and most SUVs would be taller. Especially around the South East Aera lots of barriers. Don't currently have a box, but next time I'll get a quick release one, so I can leave back at the holiday home etc. That said I think a roof box is far more accessible on a saloon less practical on taller vehicle.

Environment costs of production and disposal of a car are not a consideration for me when buying a car. If you want to walk everywhere, you do that.

You choosing not to consider those environmental costs doesn't make them go away unfortunately. Society as a whole will continue to pay the costs of your decisions.

• Advertisement

someone told me a year or two back that a friend of his had bought a range rover PHEV, but that the batteries could only charge when plugged in - i.e. there was no capability for the battery to scavenge spare power from the engine in stop/start traffic.

was he pulling my leg? and if not, is this common in PHEVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

..when one of the shorter women in the village has a 7 seater Land Cruiser Amazon,for her three children and can barely see over the steering wheel. When you see her struggling to get into it, because she's small...you have to restrain yourself from saying "just buy a Skoda Octavia estate". Half the money, half the running cost, plenty of room.

You choosing not to consider those environmental costs doesn't make them go away unfortunately. Society as a whole will continue to pay the costs of your decisions.

I’m comfortable with that.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    ..when one of the shorter women in the village has a 7 seater Land Cruiser Amazon,for her three children and can barely see over the steering wheel. When you see her struggling to get into it, because she's small...you have to restrain yourself from saying "just buy a Skoda Octavia estate". Half the money, half the running cost, plenty of room.

A touch of sexism there, maybe that short woman doesn’t want to drive a Skoda, and does want to drive a big Land Cruiser, or are they just for male farmer? Her choice.

someone told me a year or two back that a friend of his had bought a range rover PHEV, but that the batteries could only charge when plugged in - i.e. there was no capability for the battery to scavenge spare power from the engine in stop/start traffic.

was he pulling my leg? and if not, is this common in PHEVs?

RR PHEVs have Regenerative Braking which uses the electric motor to harvest kinetic energy whilst braking, converting it to electrical energy that is used to recharge the high-voltage battery.

you'd have thought in a vehicle weighing 2.5 tons they'd have been able to squeeze in a doohickey which could capture energy from the engine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I doubt very much she's struggling to get into it 😅 .
    I think it may well be the case that you would like a 7 seater land cruiser yourself 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The Amazon is up there with the Range Rover and G Wagon as proper luxury 4x4'ing . Sad they don't sell them here any more , the current gen Range Rover is the last of the full size 4x4's with a Diesel V8 in it and not some asthmatic 2 litre with a washing machine motor strapped on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Isn't it only the greens and cyclists who dont like SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

about 1/4 the money, have you seen the price of those landcruisers :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A touch of sexism there, maybe that short woman doesn’t want to drive a Skoda, and does want to drive a big Land Cruiser, or are they just for male farmer? Her choice.

No. Three kids and their usual bits and bobs. Huge vehicle that she can barely see out of. The running costs alone don't make sense. Plenty of farmers around the village with big SUVs too.

No. Three kids and their usual bits and bobs. Huge vehicle that she can barely see out of. The running costs alone don't make sense. Plenty of farmers around the village with big SUVs too.

Her choice, not yours. Would you be saying the above if it was a small man with kids in the car?

I’m comfortable with that.

I'm not comfortable with sharing the costs of your vehicle choices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Her choice, not yours. Would you be saying the above if it was a small man with kids in the car?
    I would, if he couldn't see over the steering wheel. Though things like parking sensors and the like have made a huge difference over the last few years for those who were not blessed with much by way of distance judging. You tend to see far fewer cars of any size with dents and scratches at the four corners compared the past.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

i can tell you one SUV driver i do dislike; the one who has parked across the end of my driveway several times, gets out of the car, and walks up to the school nearby to collect his kids. he's usually gone about ten minutes.
    it would probably be a stretch for me to draw any conclusions from the fact that his is the only large SUV i regularly see there, and also the only driver who does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Sorry 26 pages of this thread is too much to go back through....have the Nazi's been mentioned yet?

did they invent the SUV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

did they invent the SUV?

Seems highly likely https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

I'm not comfortable with sharing the costs of your vehicle choices.

That’s a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

i can tell you one SUV driver i do dislike; the one who has parked across the end of my driveway several times, gets out of the car, and walks up to the school nearby to collect his kids. he's usually gone about ten minutes.
    it would probably be a stretch for me to draw any conclusions from the fact that his is the only large SUV i regularly see there, and also the only driver who does that.

Some people are di*kheads. They could be driving a car, bicycle, motorbike, tractor and they will still be di*kheads!!! just the way of the World

Advertisement