Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It’s the space...the ability to transport your kids and your parents at the same time. The ability to facilitate playdates. The feeling of safety that you get from a big car and the higher driving position. The ability to comfortably go away in Ireland and bring what you want.

Ok well I don't want to live in a world where you need one of these things, except I do so jokes on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I don't have a problem with them really existing but why do people think they need such big vehicles if they live in Clontarf and Sandymount etc? They just take up far too much space in already crowded areas and for me they should be taxed into oblivion. Waste of energy.

They're not big for the most part, they're hatchbacks but a little bit taller.
    The D-Segment saloon (Mondeo et al) has been canabilised by crossovers based on C-Segment (Focus sized) hatchbacks and C-segment hatchbacks are under pressure from crossovers based on superminis. They have a smaller footprint but sit tall, I don't really get it myself, they're not big and tough, they're small and tall and the sight if damp grass would render them stranded.
    FFS the Dacia Duster shares its platform with a Nissan Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,887 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don't have a problem with them really existing but why do people think they need such big vehicles if they live in Clontarf and Sandymount etc? They just take up far too much space in already crowded areas and for me they should be taxed into oblivion. Waste of energy.

You don’t have a problem with them, yet “ they should be taxed into ‘oblivion’ “ ?

Some people with big SUV’s have them because they need them.

I know a person who if you saw them sat in a car you’d think ‘ ok seems like an everyday joe soap ‘.. they are but have a disability and use a walking frame and need a bigger and higher boot to transport it and remove it in comfort and safety...

Five of the top ten greenest cars on the planet right now ? SUVs ! Many using hybrid technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strumms wrote: »
    You don’t have a problem with them, yet “ they should be taxed into ‘oblivion’ “ ?

Some people with big SUV’s have them because they need them.

I know a person who if you saw them sat in a car you’d think ‘ ok seems like an everyday joe soap ‘.. they are but have a disability and use a walking frame and need a bigger and higher boot to transport it and remove it in comfort and safety...

Five of the top ten greenest cars on the planet right now ? SUVs ! Many using hybrid technology.

"greenest cars on the planet" - that's just hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Must say I’m impressed by anybody who can park an SUV in a car park in Ireland. Fresh from a sparsely populated corner of Canada, I struggle with my modest rentals. Last time over, I tweaked the tire of the car next to me. An enraged female leapt out and I thought she was going to beat the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

All the people on here saying they are hatch back on stilts it would depend which suv's you are talking about ,take the skoda kodiaq,seat tarraco ,vw allspace or nissan x trail or any of those 7 seater are brilliant for carrying long awkward things and can still carry passengers example the driver could have 2 passengers behind him one the middle row and one in the third row and have all other seats dropped flat including the front seat passenger all the different configurations are extremely handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

forestgirl wrote: »
    All the people on here saying they are hatch back on stilts it would depend which suv's you are talking about ,take the skoda kodiaq,seat tarraco ,vw allspace or nissan x trail or any of those 7 seater are brilliant for carrying long awkward things and can still carry passengers example the driver could have 2 passengers behind him one the middle row and one in the third row and have all other seats dropped flat including the front seat passenger all the different configurations are extremely handy

Exactly like an estate :-) Just a little higher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

example the driver could have 2 passengers behind him one the middle row and one in the third row and have all other seats dropped flat including the front seat passenger
    how long would i need to be standing at the side of the road to see an SUV drive past in this configuration?
    sure, you can think of use cases where they're handy like that. but for the majority of SUVs, they're *exceptionally* rarely used.

if you have the occasional need to transport something big and bulky, save on buying an SUV and just hire a go-van for next to nothing the once or twice a year you might need to fill your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

how long would i need to be standing at the side of the road to see an SUV drive past in this configuration?
    sure, you can think of use cases where they're handy like that. but for the majority of SUVs, they're *exceptionally* rarely used.

if you have the occasional need to transport something big and bulky, save on buying an SUV and just hire a go-van for next to nothing the once or twice a year you might need to fill your car.

How long would you be standing in the street to see a 4-5 seater car with 4-5 people inside ?

By that why don't we all just drive smart for twos ? Or why doesn't everybody just use a motorbike if it's just one person.

Just because you can't see it everyday doesn't warrent getting rid of them.

I used to drive a bus for Dublin bus and often had been carrying a handful of people just. Should we get rid of buses too and replace them with 16 seater minibuses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

"greenest cars on the planet" - that's just hilarious.

I have a RR Sport PHEV, 72g/kg CO2, tax €150, most of my journeys are done solely on the electric battery, that’s pretty “green” I’d say.

And, it appears Strumms has a point:

https://www.nextgreencar.com/features/9058/top-10-green-cars-2021/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How long would you be standing in the street to see a 4-5 seater car with 4-5 people inside ?
    i live very near a school, so probably see them more often than most. but yes, it's rare. occupancy on motorways and for work commuting is very down near 1 IIRC.

i don't think your bus analogy stands, unless we're running buses on routes where a considerable majority of trips are made with a nearly empty bus.

my point was i don't see the point in buying a car with (for most people!) a very rare outlier case in mind. go vans are available from as low as €10 per hour.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I have a RR Sport PHEV, 72g/kg CO2, tax €150, most of my journeys are done solely on the electric battery, that’s pretty “green” I’d say./
    holy mother of god, that's the heaviest vehicle yet. 3.2 tons!
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/land-rover/range-rover-sport/20-p400e-hse-dynamic-5dr-auto/spec

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

By that why don't we all just drive smart for twos ? Or why doesn't everybody just use a motorbike if it's just one person.

Just because you can't see it everyday doesn't warrent getting rid of them.

I used to drive a bus for Dublin bus and often had been carrying a handful of people just. Should we get rid of buses too and replace them with 16 seater minibuses ?

https://img.resized.co/lovindublin_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-things-you-ll-remember-if-you-grew-up-in-dublin-during-the-1990s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have a RR Sport PHEV, 72g/kg CO2, tax €150, most of my journeys are done solely on the electric battery, that’s pretty “green” I’d say.

And, it appears Strumms has a point:

https://www.nextgreencar.com/features/9058/top-10-green-cars-2021/

Imagine how much greener it could have been...

McGaggs wrote: »
    Imagine how much greener it could have been...

McGaggs, why would anyone imagine that?

does the 72g/km figure *only* take into account what actually comes out the tailpipe?
    i suspect it does as the mix of electricity generation sources in each market can vary, so they only take into account direct tailpipe emissions. happy to be corrected if not.

but in short - if you're driving a car weighing that much, and a reasonable proportion of the electricity generated to power it comes from fossil fuels, ignoring that as a CO2 source is cheating.

does the 72g/km figure *only* take into account what actually comes out the tailpipe?
    i suspect it does as the mix of electricity generation sources in each market can vary, so they only take into account direct tailpipe emissions. happy to be corrected if not.

but in short - if you're driving a car weighing that much, and a reasonable proportion of the electricity generated to power it comes from fossil fuels, ignoring that as a CO2 source is cheating.

Maybe I have this wrong, are you saying the fossil fuel used to generate electricity before it arrives in the EV charger the car is plugged into, should be considered for CO2 emissions from a car?

yeah - i was asking was the CO2 generated by the electricity generation, used in plug in mode, taken into account in the 72g/km figure.

yeah - i was asking was the CO2 generated by the electricity generation, used in plug in mode, taken into account in the 72g/km figure.

Are you serious? Do you think they should include the emissions in production and transportation of the car, the mining of the metal etc?

i mean - if you plug the car in to charge the battery, and drive, say, 20km; the car has produced no direct emissions. but the electricity you used to charge it has. i am asking if that CO2 is included in the 72g/km figure, and i suspect it's not.

• Advertisement

for example, if you plug your car in now, less than 20% of the electricity being generated in ireland at the moment is from stated renewable sources. so charging your car has a CO2 cost.

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#roi/generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

as a vegan part time cyclist with an iphone , i like SUV's
    the missus has one and its fecking lovely to drive as its an auto and has loads of gimpers , like parking cams etc.

i don't think many would describe themselves as a 'full time cyclist' to be fair, it'd be very tiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I find most of them are heavily compromised on interior space. Especially in the rear. They curve inwares from the sides and the rear and have heavy hipped designed, meaning they are a lot more cramped inside than a reasonably MPV which are boxy for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

for example, if you plug your car in now, less than 20% of the electricity being generated in ireland at the moment is from stated renewable sources. so charging your car has a CO2 cost.

The other point is that even in they are small SUV that are taller and heavier and use more materials to make them, will be harder on tyres etc. The larger ones obviously are much worse in this regard.

Less air pollution in urban areas with increased EV and hybrid use. It's the upside of all new cars.

Carbon dioxide emissions are measured by weight, in grammes (g) and calculated by how much CO2 is emitted from the exhaust pipe per the distance driven, measured in kilometres (km), it is not a measurement of how much CO2 was emitted in the production of the car and the electricity to drive it, which presumably would vary from country to country, or even between electricity producing stations in the same country. These measurements of course would have no bearing whatsoever on the efficiency of the engine.

Carbon dioxide emissions are measured by weight, in grammes (g) and calculated by how much CO2 is emitted from the exhaust pipe per the distance driven, measured in kilometres (km), it is not a measurement of how much CO2 was emitted in the production of the car and the electricity to drive it, which presumably would vary from country to country, or even between electricity producing stations in the same country. These measurements of course would have no bearing whatsoever on the efficiency of the engine.

So the claimed 72g/km is a fantasy. I know manufacturers claims usually are, but this adds a very tangible new layer to that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are you serious? Do you think they should include the emissions in production and transportation of the car, the mining of the metal etc?
    EV's are clearly better at the user end and remove local emissions, but if those factors are taken into account cars of any type have pretty serious impacts on the environment and given how long they don't last before they end up on a scrapheap this is a rolling issue. If anything it has gotten worse as cars have more and more features and are heavier, made of more "stuff". Producing a three tonne car costs a lot more to the environment than a one tonne car.

And recycling won't help us much, though it makes us feel better. EV batteries can be used for other purposes after the car is scrapped and that's good. Hopefully actual recycling of batteries improves too. The metals of the car can be recycled, but the plastics can't to nearly the degree we think. Of those that can be recycled it's just the once and in a downgraded form with brand new plastics added to the mix. That's the joke; a car made in the 1930's would be significantly more recyclable than any car today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Just bought my first ever SUV.

Now the reason I bought it was that I needed a 7 seater car due to the size of my family. I was perfectly willing to go for any other relaible 7 seater car, but the SUV I went for was in better condition and seemed a far better deal than anything else I seen for around the same price, it also still had 2 years manufacturer's guarantee on it (5 years old). So no it didn't cost me more to buy.

It also made sense in the fact I live in the country, and seems far more able to take the bumpy crap pot hole ridden roads I have to drive every day.
    As for comfort, its probably the most comfortable car to drive that ive ever owned.

I guess the biggest drawback would be the diesel costs which is probably a bit higher than some other 7 seater cars.

Im not sure why people would hate me for driving this car, but then again people in Ireland very easily make up there minds about people for the most stupid reasons some times.

• Advertisement

So the claimed 72g/km is a fantasy. I know manufacturers claims usually are, but this adds a very tangible new layer to that

I think there is a certain amount of fantasy in the figures car manufacturers give us as their measurements are usually at conditions that rarely occur in normal use. But your contention that a measurement for engine efficiency/pollution should take into account variables which are not connected to the engines performance, is daft, it would give cars powered by electricity generated by cleaner nuclear power stations a lower value that those powered by our coal/peat powered electric stations, even though the car engine is the same in both.

Advertisement