Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true, but there have been trends repeatedly observed with drivers of expensive cars, e.g.

"Three studies over the last five years show that people driving expensive cars were more likely to cut off other motorists and less likely to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks."
    https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/Rich-peo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Unsurprisingly cycling forum moderator dislikes drivers of expensive cars. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

true, but there have been trends repeatedly observed with drivers of expensive cars, e.g.

"Three studies over the last five years show that people driving expensive cars were more likely to cut off other motorists and less likely to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks."
    https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/Rich-peo.html

Questionable study to be honest and seems to be playing towards their readership.....

It used to be BMW/Audi drivers are d**kheads when those car where rare, now they are a lot more popular its types of car v make up

As I said, some people are d**kheads, doesn't matter what they drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fitz II wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly cycling forum moderator dislikes drivers of expensive cars. :)
    well, they *do* say cyclists make for better - and more observant - drivers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

well, they *do* say cyclists make for better - and more observant - drivers. :)

They would say that though, wouldn’t they.

• Advertisement

sebdavis wrote: »
    Questionable study to be honest and seems to be playing towards their readership.....
    that cites three different studies, and is dated 2017; and there's been another widely publicised one since.

and true, it's going to be difficult doing research in this area, because to do so you need to be able to quantify behaviour in a way that is very simple and repeatable. and dickish behaviour is usually going to be complex to record and repeatedly observe. it seems the 'yielding to pedestrians' is the simplest way of measuring this.

hand on heart, i am biased against certain drivers when i see their cars, especially when out on the bike. 10 or 15 year old passats with nurburgring stickers, for example; big red flag there. large expensive SUVs, that sort of thing.
    i'm not saying all drivers of such cars drive inconsiderately, obviously.

Its interesting how we put our own bias on things....what I took from these "studies" was that being a jerk makes you more financially successful.

THis is how it starts boys, we find a behaviour we dont like, identify a group of people we dislike and attribute the behavior to them, round them up....you know where this is going.....

you seem a little too focused with this particular concept.

you seem a little too focused with this particular concept.

You saying it didnt happen :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They would say that though, wouldn’t they.

At least one UK motor insurer gives discounts to cyclists, given the evidence showing that they are safer drivers.

I hope the SUV driver's WhatsApp message was worth it.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1381982779802484736?s=19

• Advertisement

At least one UK motor insurer gives discounts to cyclists, given the evidence showing that they are safer drivers.

I hope the SUV driver's WhatsApp message was worth it.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1381982779802484736?s=19

What does that story have to do with anything?

What does that story have to do with anything?

It helps to answer the question in the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

It helps to answer the question in the thread title.

Does it not just show a judge dislikes SUVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

heroics wrote: »

Apparently more so than people being distracted by using their phones while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

So basically we all hate SUV drivers, Audi drivers, BMW drivers...and don’t even mention the Prius drivers!

So should we all purchase Lambo’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

NSAman wrote: »
    So basically we all hate SUV drivers, Audi drivers, BMW drivers...and don’t even mention the Prius drivers!

So should we all purchase Lambo’s?

Oh god no. We have to hate anyone who spends more money on something than a normal person can afford.

You have to cycle to work or if you really need a car it must be a Dacia or 1.2 Octavia. Even EV vehicles are bad I think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

micah537 wrote: »
    Oh god no. We have to hate anyone who spends more money on something than a normal person can afford.

You have to cycle to work or if you really need a car it must be a Dacia or 1.2 Octavia. Even EV vehicles are bad I think.

You are also allowed to hate cyclists, except for the ones who bought the bike in Halfords.

liamog wrote: »
    You are also allowed to hate cyclists, except for the ones who bought the bike in Halfords.

Don’t forget, you have to be male, tall, and have a functional reason for driving an SUV, otherwise you should drive a Skoda.

heroics wrote: »

No, it specifically highlights the dangers arising to other road users from SUVs, particularly when the driver is a feckin idiot.

No, it specifically highlights the dangers arising to other road users from SUVs, particularly when the driver is a feckin idiot.

A fiesta can deliver a “knockout blow” to a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian, if the driver is distracted by using their phone. Do we hate fiesta drivers for that reason?

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    A fiesta can deliver a “knockout blow” to a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian, if the driver is distracted by using their phone. Do we hate fiesta drivers for that reason?

They can indeed. But they can't deliver a knock out blow to another Fiesta when taking off from the lights.

That's the difference.

They can indeed. But they can't deliver a knock out blow to another Fiesta when taking off from the lights.

That's the difference.

An SUV probably can’t deliver it to another SUV either, but a fiesta can to something smaller. Both the judge, and yourself are missing the obvious cause of the accident, it wasn’t that the driver was driving an SUV, it was caused by her being distracted on her phone. She’s an idiot for not paying attention, it’s idiotic to think it was caused just because she was in an SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

That's the difference.

Where does this "knockout blow" stuff come from - a self appointed expert in collision dynamics?

I was once rear ended by an 18-tonne lorry at lights while driving an old Renault 5. Apart from a bit of stiffness the next day I was completely fine, and the car wasn't too badly damaged either. It was certainly no knockout blow. Easily the worst rear-end collision I have experienced was being hit by a Citroen Xsara.

It applies to any car.
    The idea that the fact it was an SUV that destroyed the fiesta is entirely down to the meanderings of the judge, and not based on any examination of the car.

This was purely the drivers fault, the fact that she was driving an SUV is irrelevant. It’s as ridiculous as posting a drink driving case where the driver had an SUV.

It applies to any car.
    The idea that the fact it was an SUV that destroyed the fiesta is entirely down to the meanderings of the judge, and not based on any examination of the car.

This was purely the drivers fault, the fact that she was driving an SUV is irrelevant. It’s as ridiculous as posting a drink driving case where the driver had an SUV.

Momentum = speed x weight

Your physics teacher would be crying right now!

Granted, but a Jaguar F-Pace weighs 1880kg. It’s not like that’s massively more than a large saloon like an Audi A6 weighs.

My reading of it is that this was a very low speed impact with minimal damage to the Fiesta. The victim was only after a payout for a rear impact the year before. Not saying the second incident didn’t happen, but the fact that she accepted a quarter of what she looked for initially would suggest that there was an element of exaggeration in this case.
    The opinion of a judge based on the tiny little Fiesta and the big bad SUV doesn’t ring true for me. Modern cars like a Fiesta are incredibly safe nowadays. Obviously mass and velocity are huge factors, but the judges opinion on this is conjecture.

Anjobe wrote: »
    Your physics teacher would be crying right now!

He's long dead, but I'd imagine he'd be fairly pleased at the audience friendly language, and wouldn't be too concerned that my formula might be inaccurate for SUV crashes on the moon.

He's long dead, but I'd imagine he'd be fairly pleased at the audience friendly language, and wouldn't be too concerned that my formula might be inaccurate for SUV crashes on the moon.

Weight is not "audience friendly" language for mass, they are fundamentally different quantities. In expressing momentum as you did you have made another common but quite fundamental error and together they render your expression completely meaningless in any context, I don't think any self-respecting science educator would be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

If you've ever been on a twisty narrow road with a load of blind bends, and met one of these monsters barrelling round a blind bend at speed, nearly wiping you out in the process, I think you could be forgiven for hating the driver.

NEARLY WIPING YOU OUT !!!!!!!.
    Sounds like a very serious accident. Hope your injuries weren’t too bad and that you are back on the road. Where did this major incident occur ?.

OR . Did you merely have to pull in to the left as a wide vehicle approached .

Advertisement