Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach attends event during Level Three restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm not seeing the common sense he displayed? Your ok with him forcing people to behave and live a certain way yet doesn't have to himself.

Excellent...you've seen more .can you put up the new link?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bennyl10 wrote: »

It was an event with 12 people, error of judgement sure, similar to varadkar and worthy of the hullabaloo? Not even close.

It’s a non story for the vast majority and building it up to be more is just nonsense

10 at a funeral is the story, it more than an error of judgement it's a kick in the teeth to anyone that's had to pick who goes to a funeral over this pandemic.

I don't see why people can't see the issue..

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shinnerbots low has just reached new depths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Shinnerbots Paddy Cosgrave's low has just reached new depths.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Harpon wrote: »
    There you go folks, time to start meeting family and friends indoors again. The Taoiseach doesn’t follow the rules, why should anyone else.

Nah most people will use their judgment and employ common sense and not react like a spoiled brat with a ****ty attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This event was (fawningly) reported on at the time:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40190700.html

The only part of this story that might be newsworthy is if there really was a directive issued to allow the event.

Even then, you'd need to see who actually issues these directives and how many are issued. Was this the only one in the country, or are there similar events allowed all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

osarusan wrote: »
    Even then, you'd need to see who actually issues these directives and how many are issued. Was this the only one in the country, or are there similar events allowed all over the place?
    This

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

osarusan wrote: »
    This event was (fawningly) reported on at the time:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40190700.html

The only part of this story that might be newsworthy is if there really was a directive issued to allow the event.

The pitchforks are out, this is not the place for common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Amateurs.
    Should have had it in a school.

Much safer and no need to worry about maintaining 2m social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I don’t like Martin at all, let’s get that out there. The only issue at hand here is issuing a directive for a personal event, which is a big thing if true, surely?

An abuse of power if so. I don’t think this will go anywhere though tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

When people say the mainstream media is covering stuff up or just not telling the whole story, is this it? Is this the stuff we're missing?

I'd be disappointed in the news if they reported this level of sh1te tbh.

10 at a funeral is the story, it more than an error of judgement it's a kick in the teeth to anyone that's had to pick who goes to a funeral over this pandemic.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Was this event in December, when places of worship could have 50 people

Was this a personal event or was it one organised by the boxing club who asked MM to attend?

The Garda was being presented with a boxing award so it sounds like it was an official function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Was this a personal event or was it one organised by the boxing club who asked MM to attend?

The Garda was being presented with a boxing award so it sounds like it was an official function.

The boxer was being presented with the trophy, club asked MM to do the honours as the trophy is named after his boxing champ father. Describing it as an event in honour of his father is clickbait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

They can, they're just disgusting shills.

They vote for these cretins every election and they're the reason this country is in the toilet generally.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The boxer was being presented with the trophy, club asked MM to do the honours as the trophy is named after his boxing champ father. Describing it as an event in honour of his father is clickbait.

That’s my understanding of it, complete non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The directive to hold the event came from the Dept of Taoiseach

Thats good enough for me. A clear abuse of power and undermining of the rules put in place by his Govt. Do as I say not as I do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Was this event in December, when places of worship could have 50 people

I don't think this was a funeral - it took place in a boxing club and we were at level 3 in December

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/5b068-ireland-placed-on-level-3-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-with-special-measures-for-a-safe-christmas/
    • no organised indoor events should take place, other than as provided below

So Mehole did break their own guidelines.

The directive to hold the event came from the Dept of Taoiseach

Thats good enough for me. A clear abuse of power and undermining of the rules put in place by his Govt. Do as I say not as I do.

The directive isn’t an instruction to hold the event, it’s instructions on how to hold it legally and what guidelines are to be followed.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I don't think this was a funeral - it took place in a boxing club and we were at level 3 in December .

Yes but I was replying to the argument of only 10 people being allowed to a funeral. But at the time of this event more than 10 people were allowed attend a funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I dislike Monty Burns as much as the next guy but unfortunately theres nothing to see here.

Yeah - took the dogs around the lake there on this fine sunny morning wondering what Michaél had done, and what would await me after 9am.

Anti climax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Smee_Again wrote: »
    The directive isn’t an instruction to hold the event, it’s instructions on how to hold it legally and what guidelines are to be followed.
    Yes but this was given special dispensation. Although I expect you know that and are being deliberately obtuse.
    Mimon wrote: »
    Nah most people will use their judgment and employ common sense and not react like a spoiled brat with a ****ty attitude.
    Why?

Why do you accept that they're your superiors? And that you're subordinate? Take some ownership of your existence, it's actually hard to watch.

What will it take, there's been Golfgate, RTÉ partying, leo the leak and now this.

When will voting members of the public stop accepting this level of fuckery.

This is probably a bit of a non story but if it gathers legs, MM could be in for it. Legal or not it’s poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I would reckon almost every politician has broken lockdown rules at some stage, by attending a function or a funeral that they should have or visiting their mam etc.

Looking forward to the day journos have to actually create stories again and investigate things.

Not just "omg this person was in a room with 2 people bull****". Media love this covid crap, stops them doing actual work.

Just serves to create division

FF supporters outraged at the SF funeral
    SF supporters outraged at this
    FG supporters outraged at both
    SF supporters outraged at golf gate

All breaches, all treated differently based on one's agenda

Phil Hogan did resign.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yes but this was given special dispensation. Although I expect you know that and are being deliberately obtuse.

Why?

Why do you accept that they're your superiors? And that you're subordinate? Take some ownership of your existence, it's actually hard to watch.

What will it take, there's been Golfgate, RTÉ partying, leo the leak and now this.

When will voting members of the public stop accepting this level of fuckery.

I agree - their own guidelines are quite clear. No indoor gatherings allowed under level 3.
    The Taoiseach is very much in the wrong here regardless of what directive he got.

Might look like an anti - climax to some people and believe me Im not sticking to any covid-19 rules at all but if the government are going to prosecute people for having 10 people out in their garden having a BBQ this weekend then they need to be leaders and follow those rules themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Phil Hogan did resign.
    Couple of others were demoted as well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Did it even need special dispensation?
    It was in December when indoor dining was a thing?

It’s a non story and it was widely reported at the time

Exactly, everyone’s instagrams/Facebook was being filled with pictures of them and their mates hugging at the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Complete non-story. It’s laughable.

• Advertisement

It took place in a boxing club - not a restaurant / pub - was there a "substantial meal" provided?
    Was it made on the premises?
    • restaurants and pubs operating as restaurants (serving a substantial meal) may reopen for indoor dining with additional restrictions, (including requirement for meals to be prepared on site, inside the premises

Advertisement