Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taoiseach attends event during Level Three restrictions

Options

Comments

jackboy wrote: »
    Does this only apply to the Taoiseach or other politicians also? Golfgate seems to imply that this does not apply to other politicians. Where are these rules written down?

Taoiseach and President

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Taoiseach and President

Fair enough if that is true. Where are these rules written down?

So no early intervention to prevent onset of complications, thought as much.
    We make no effort to educate or prevent the illness progressing, we've now moved to the Vaccine is the answer while ignoring the cure.
    Majority won't be vaccinated well not the 80% of the population Kingston Mills claims is necessary, wait until they come after the children the whole plan falls apart then and we can't hit herd immunity without them.

Why would you have an early intervention other than lemsip if you are a covidiot and ant vax if its only a flu?
    Facts are he denied its existance as a threat,got it and sadly is struggling for his life

Fair enough if that is true. Where are these rules written down?

They're not you see,they're convention

We're all in this together, except for some, the rules and guidelines don't apply to some!

This is up there with the man in the Charvet shirt telling us we are living beyond our means!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

The next 8 weeks are critical. We are all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

They're not you see,they're convention

You have to admit this is at least a grey area then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why would you have an early intervention other than lemsip if you are a covidiot and ant vax if its only a flu?
    Facts are he denied its existance as a threat,got it and sadly is struggling for his life

Your not being told what helps reduce symptoms and prevent long Covid, if NPHET or the Government were any way honest with people we could have a lot better outcomes.
    They can't even agree to tell people have some vitamin D, that's how ludicrous the situation is.
    He could have just as easily ended up in the same situation in flu season carrying on the same way.
    The vaccine is an experiment, I wish people would drop this far right anti vax nonsense there's not one price of evidence to prove these vaccines are safe in the long term, like they're testing them now on 6mt+ children with hopefully being approved by September for school season.
    Work away and offer your kids up but I certainly won't be.

You have to admit this is at least a grey area then.

Yeah,in hindsight the event shouldnt have happened
    But its not a reason for the rest of us to drop everything and hug
    Only covidiots do that
    We should rise above it

Your not being told what helps reduce symptoms and prevent long Covid, if NPHET or the Government were any way honest with people we could have a lot better outcomes.
    They can't even agree to tell people have some vitamin D, that's how ludicrous the situation is.
    Being on a ventilator for two months is not long covid
    Its actual covid pneumonia/inability to breath
    Long covid is after hospital complications
    He could have just as easily ended up in the same situation in flu season carrying on the same way.
    Nonsense
    The vaccine is an experiment, I wish people would drop this far right anti vax nonsense there's not one price of evidence to prove these vaccines are safe in the long term, like they're testing them now on 6mt+ children with hopefully being approved by September for school season.
    Work away and offer your kids up but I certainly won't be.

You see thats your freedom
    Most of the rest of us also have the freedom to take vaccines etc
    I avoid people like you for my own health
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

You see thats your freedom
    Most of the rest of us also have the freedom to take vaccines etc
    I avoid people like you for my own health
    Best of luck

It is but if you can't get 80% of the total population on board you have a major problem as your vaccine doesn't work and your freedoms won't be returned.
    What's you plan b, apartheid, mandatory vaccinations from 6mts of age? Interested to know how you see this playing out.

It is but if you can't get 80% of the total population on board you have a major problem as your vaccine doesn't work and your freedoms won't be returned.
    What's you plan b, apartheid, mandatory vaccinations from 6mts of age? Interested to know how you see this playing out.

I dont think that will be a problem
    Close to a million shots in arms here
    Nearing 60% of all adults in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I dont think that will be a problem
    Close to a million shots in arms here
    Nearing 60% of all adults in the UK

Of course its a problem. Herd immunity is going to be practically impossible

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

Of course its a problem. Herd immunity is going to be practically impossible

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

With all due respect,if 80%+ over 18's are vaccinated,thats 8 out of 10 Adults well protected versus gambling that you wont get it unluckilly despite taking all precautions
    As I said we are nearing 60% already in the UK despite only starting on the 40 to 50 age bracket meaning take up is near uniform
    Those are facts,a lot of fudge promoted by anti vaxxers notwithstanding
    Only a tiny minority of mis guided fools are anti vax
    If the adults are happy with the vaccines,there wont be a problem with their sibblings being vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I’d like one of Martin’s defenders here to explain why it was a work event rather than a personal event. At least then we can try to have some sort of a debate. Thats all we can do until Martin provides evidence it was a work event.

I'd imagine that it can be classified as a work event by virtue of the fact that he was invited to present it, which was no doubt due to his role as both a TD and now Taoiseach.
    He has two brothers and two sisters and they weren't invited to make or attend the presentations so that would point to the fact that he's invited because of his position.

I'd imagine that it can be classified as a work event by virtue of the fact that he was invited to present it, which was no doubt due to his role as both a TD and now Taoiseach.
    He has two brothers and two sisters and they weren't invited to make or attend the presentations so that would point to the fact that he's invited because of his position.

But he was at it last year and other years. In what capacity was he at it other years?

But he was at it last year and other years. In what capacity was he at it other years?

He wasn't Taoiseach in Dec 2019 afaik
    His status as a guest changed

He wasn't Taoiseach in Dec 2019 afaik
    His status as a guest changed

So he was invited this year, but never needed to be invited before and attended every year? How is it okay for him to celebrate his father who died in 2012 when others weren't allowed to see their actual dying parents when indoor events were not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As a sitting TD for Cork ??

As a sitting TD for Cork ??

What makes this year different then so other than he just happens to be Taoiseach? TDs are not exempt from covid restrictions as those who went to Golfgate found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I don’t get why folk think it’s ok that he attended this, it’s not ok for our leaders to break rules and attend functions ignoring rules that they’ve put in place. If everyone broke the rules then we’d all be fecked, as Taoiseach he should lead by example.

Those that make the rules have to be damn sure they play by them otherwise how can they expect the rest of us to play by the rules?

This was a terrible error of judgement from the Taoiseach as was his subsequent picture without a mask in the English market.

There’s been more made of 9 fellas running round a field in North Dublin then the Taoiseach breaking rules that he implemented. He is not acting as a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I don’t get why folk think it’s ok that he attended this, it’s not ok for our leaders to break rules and attend functions ignoring rules that they’ve put in place. If everyone broke the rules then we’d all be fecked, as Taoiseach he should lead by example.

Those that make the rules have to be damn sure they play by them otherwise how can they expect the rest of us to play by the rules?

This was a terrible error of judgement from the Taoiseach as was his subsequent picture without a mask in the English market.

There’s been more made of 9 fellas running round a field in North Dublin then the Taoiseach breaking rules that he implemented. He is not acting as a leader.

I've said from the beginning if this virus was truly as deadly as they're trying to make it out to be then there wouldn't be any "One law for Me. One Law For Thee." attitude towards enforcement. The people telling us to live in fear of this virus clearly aren't living in fear of it themselves.

So he was invited this year, but never needed to be invited before and attended every year? How is it okay for him to celebrate his father who died in 2012 when others weren't allowed to see their actual dying parents when indoor events were not allowed

Its not nice when you put it that way but its treated as a working event once its diaried via the dept of the Taoiseach
    Its equally not nice when you could have 50 or a 100 people laughing,eating and drinking in a pub at that time too
    Them's the quirks of the set up
    Why should that be allowed either?
    As well as that,the 25 person rule for funerals only applied to the church
    You could have any number shuffle through a funeral parlour past the coffin and sympathising with the chief mourners

Its obvious,the 2 boys behind this revelation were stirring with this one
    Its not a petard hoisting gotcha moment at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    The people telling us to live in fear of this virus clearly aren't living in fear of it themselves.

Who is living in fear? The point is to stop it spreading to vulnerable people. Most people who get it will be fine.
    How can this level of ignorance still exist 13 months into the pandemic in Ireland?

With all due respect,if 80%+ over 18's are vaccinated,thats 8 out of 10 Adults well protected versus gambling that you wont get it unluckilly despite taking all precautions
    As I said we are nearing 60% already in the UK despite only starting on the 40 to 50 age bracket meaning take up is near uniform
    Those are facts,a lot of fudge promoted by anti vaxxers notwithstanding
    Only a tiny minority of mis guided fools are anti vax
    If the adults are happy with the vaccines,there wont be a problem with their sibblings being vaccinated

Do you understand how herd immunity works i'm not sure you do. Kingston Mills says we need 80% of the entire population vaccinated, not 80% of adults. That's not anti vax fudge it's expert opinion we're hearing from our politicans and sceintists.
    It's a wild assumption to make that parents will want their young children vaccinated as they haven't had a short term reaction to a brand new product that comes with no guarantee by the manufacturer. Having the vaccine doesn't grant you any benefits someone still relying on their tried and tested immune system has.

What is fudge is using figures like 1 million vaccinated, we still have a small proportion of fully vaccinated, the same with your nearly 60% of all adults in the UK, that's spin you'd expect from a politician, less than 10% of UK adults are fully vaccinated.
    We're ages away from herd immunity if your to believe the experts, I don't believe them though going on their track records of truthfulness, once we have the at risk and soon to be at risk vaccinated we'll be bouncing out of this.

Do you understand how herd immunity works i'm not sure you do. Kingston Mills says we need 80% of the entire population vaccinated, not 80% of adults. That's not anti vax fudge it's expert opinion we're hearing from our politicans and sceintists.
    It's a wild assumption to make that parents will want their young children vaccinated as they haven't had a short term reaction to a brand new product that comes with no guarantee by the manufacturer. Having the vaccine doesn't grant you any benefits someone still relying on their tried and tested immune system has.

What is fudge is using figures like 1 million vaccinated, we still have a small proportion of fully vaccinated, the same with your nearly 60% of all adults in the UK, that's spin you'd expect from a politician, less than 10% of UK adults are fully vaccinated.
    We're ages away from herd immunity if your to believe the experts, I don't believe them though going on their track records of truthfulness, once we have the at risk and soon to be at risk vaccinated we'll be bouncing out of this.

Oh whatever...
    Our constitution protects the right to hold minority views like yours
    My view is views like those are tunnel visioned and deluded but you're entitled to hold them
    Thankfully,you don't worry me when the vast majority of views are pragmatic and sensible
    Oh and your statement of less than 10% of UK adults fully vaccinated is of course beside the point
    Close to 60% have had their first shot,an indication of uniform take up of both shots given they're only starting on the under 50's
    Ireland is similar
    But hey carry on in the bubble anti vax world you're in
    Thats your choice,you're welcome to it

I'm not Anti vax, I've travelled a lot of the world and had all my advised shots along the way, I've also had some vaccinations that are still on going in covid trials.
    What I am guilt of is taking a critical look at both sides of a story and forming my opinion based on the evidence.

Evidence says MM has lied, if he told me it was sunny I'd have to look out the window and check. The same with Fauci and the likes of O'Neill, they can not make the statements and reassurances they're making to the public as absolute fact which is what they are doing without any data or evidence.

Its not nice when you put it that way but its treated as a working event once its diaried via the dept of the Taoiseach
    Its equally not nice when you could have 50 or a 100 people laughing,eating and drinking in a pub at that time too
    Them's the quirks of the set up
    Why should that be allowed either?
    As well as that,the 25 person rule for funerals only applied to the church
    You could have any number shuffle through a funeral parlour past the coffin and sympathising with the chief mourners

Its obvious,the 2 boys behind this revelation were stirring with this one
    Its not a petard hoisting gotcha moment at all

What's not nice is a leader who shows rotten judgement and uses the office of Taoiseach to bend the guidelines to go to an event that shouldn't have happened

I'm not Anti vax, I've travelled a lot of the world and had all my advised shots along the way, I've also had some vaccinations that are still on going in covid trials.
    What I am guilt of is taking a critical look at both sides of a story and forming my opinion based on the evidence.

Evidence says MM has lied, if he told me it was sunny I'd have to look out the window and check. The same with Fauci and the likes of O'Neill, they can not make the statements and reassurances they're making to the public as absolute fact which is what they are doing without any data or evidence.

Well we agree on one thing then
    Nothing is ever absolute
    My own view on Anger is its a tool best used sparingly
    Otherwise it eats itself and you,ending up nuetered as a tool

• Advertisement

What's not nice is a leader who shows rotten judgement and uses the office of Taoiseach to bend the guidelines to go to an event that shouldn't have happened

I doubt that was his malice aforethought at the time to be fair
    He just seems remarkably ditthery on what should be done right
    Its almost as if he's damaged abilities or connection wise from the fall of the tiger era and its fall out

Advertisement