Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taoiseach attends event during Level Three restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

You do realise only 10 people allowed at a funeral yet he signs off a larger event for his dad and asks people to take off their masks.
    If you can't see what's wrong with that picture it's all a matter.

what were the rules on funerals on dec 12th 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Vestiapx wrote: »
    what were the rules on funerals on dec 12th 2020?
    50 I think.
    Its a nothing story which was picked up in Dec. Doesn't seem to be gaining any traction tbh and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TimHorton wrote: »
    Watch MeeHole squirm when Mary Lou challenges him on this next week in the Dail...

I expect him to ignore her. Like every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

What a non-story !!

Context, context, context...

The event took place on the 12th of December. Restrictions were lifted and we were at Level 3 from the first of December. It was a time that we really thought we were getting on top of the whole thing.
    Weddings and funerals were allowed 25 attendees, non-essential retail and care services such as hairdressers, beauty therapists, spas etc were open. Pubs serving food were packed and gyms were allowed to open.
    Taken in the context of the original level 5 lockdown and the current one then it probably all looks a bit mad but taken in the context of what was happening all around at the time then it was undoubtedly a perfectly acceptable event.

BTW, Martin is a huge boxing fan and has attended numerous Cork boxing events and shows for a long number of years. (If you google MM, Boxing, Cork, you'll find loads of photos confirming same....) This was probably his only opportunity to attend a Cork boxing event as Taoiseach before his time runs out. The trophy was presented to the Boxing Board a number of years ago, and is presented to a boxer every year, but I'd imagine that the opportunity to present it whilst actually being a serving Taoiseach played a large part in his decision to attend this event.

That's a blatant lie by the Taoiseach, there's no way he can spin this as a work event especially when his office gave special permission for it to go ahead.

They didn't give special permission for it to go ahead, they gave guidelines on how it should be run...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They didn't give special permission for it to go ahead, they gave guidelines on how it should be run...

It was the office of the Taoiseach gave the guidelines for that particular event, the rest of us were not allowed gather indoors, we weren't even allowed gather especially 12+ people from different households.
    Restrictions are all here, https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/5b068-ireland-placed-on-level-3-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-with-special-measures-for-a-safe-christmas/

This was not a work event, he used his position of authority to allow this event to proceed, if you or I asked the department of the Taoiseach could we do the same we'd politely be told where to go.

It was the office of the Taoiseach gave the guidelines for that particular event, the rest of us were not allowed gather indoors, we weren't even allowed gather especially 12+ people from different households.
    Restrictions are all here, https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/5b068-ireland-placed-on-level-3-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-with-special-measures-for-a-safe-christmas/

This was not a work event, he used his position of authority to allow this event to proceed, if you or I asked the department of the Taoiseach could we do the same we'd politely be told where to go.

It's about defining a work event. grey area really.

Apparently he attended four events in Cork the same day including at some housing association and at Cork City Football Club. I have no doubt that he (and plenty of other politicians) have attended similar type events or meetings throughout as part of their jobs / duties. This is the only one being called out though and IMO it's because the trophy is named in honour of his father so those that want to stir it paint it as a family event.

We don't know if the housing one or the Cork City one were indoors or outdoors and attended by two or fifty two people, and we probably never will because most people won't give a toss or will see it as him doing his job.

It's about defining a work event. grey area really.

There's nothing grey about it. He presented a trophy named after his dad.

There's nothing grey about it. He presented a trophy named after his dad.

So it wouldn't be an issue if was called the Paddy Murphy trophy ??

What about his visit the same day to the Sophia Housing complex ? Is that ok, seeing as he didn't present a trophy named after his dad ? Or the visit to Cork City Football Club ? Or the visit two weeks previously to a housing project in Carrigaline ? (Whilst we were still in level 5 ).
    I know that he made presentations in at least two of those instances as well - but they weren't named after his dad so I presume that's ok...
    He also met with church leaders for discussions in February, also whilst we were in level 5 lockdown. Technically that was as much of a breach but it's work so it's not. I'm sure there's plenty more examples as well.

So it wouldn't be an issue if was called the Paddy Murphy trophy ??

It wasn't called the Paddy Murphy trophy though it was the Paddy Martin trophy that's the difference.

I'm not sure if we're witnessing the lasts few grasps of air from a dying FF party or Stockholm syndrome in full bloom but whatever it is the empathy for Micheál is disturbing considering what his leadership or lack of has subjected the majority of us to for over a year.

• Advertisement

So the Taoiseach thinks it's okay to celebrate his father who died in 2012 during a time when others don't get to say goodbye to their dying father's because of covid restrictions. We are certainly not all in this together!

It wasn't called the Paddy Murphy trophy though it was the Paddy Martin trophy that's the difference.

I'm not sure if we're witnessing the lasts few grasps of air from a dying FF party or Stockholm syndrome in full bloom but whatever it is the empathy for Micheál is disturbing considering what his leadership or lack of has subjected the majority of us to for over a year.

And that's the crux of it.... somehow there's a difference because of the name on the trophy !! That's exactly how the media /spin doctors want you to think with the way they worded the story.

BTW, I have no more empathy for Martin than the next man but this is such a glaring example of exaggerated media spin that it's laughable. Somebody somewhere is creaming themselves because it was called the Paddy Martin trophy and not the Paddy Murphy trophy. Without that they didn't have a story.
    The original story also failed to mention that it was 4 months ago when we were on level three. They didn't forget to mention that by accident

In other news.... Micheal Martin attends Easter commemoration in GPO, celebrating the life of his grandfather who was an Old IRA man. This despite the country being in a level 5 lockdown... Isn't it great how some people get to honour their grandparents while the rest of us have to stay at home... :rolleyes:

Was he invited to present this?
    Does he present this every year?
    How many of the 12 were jouno's/photographers/ on duty Gardaí ?
    Simple questions
    None answered

Fake outrage preferred

Correct ,Don't let the facts get in the way of fake outrage though

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Was he invited to present this?
    Does he present this every year?
    How many of the 12 were jouno's/photographers/ on duty Gardaí ?
    Simple questions
    None answered

Fake outrage preferred

Correct ,Don't let the facts get in the way of fake outrage though

Yes he presents it every year. Family presented it to the Boxing Board a few years back and he presents it to a Cork champion boxer each year.

No idea how many were there but supposedly his own PA and a Garda were there with him. (I'd imagine he has a Garda driver)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It’s fairly clear that people like drunkmonkey are angry about something and have now found a story to fuel that anger.

It doesn’t really matter what the story is as long as they can rant and rage against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yes he presents it every year. Family presented it to the Boxing Board a few years back and he presents it to a Cork champion boxer each year.

No idea how many were there but supposedly his own PA and a Garda were there with him. (I'd imagine he has a Garda driver)

It was a personal event dressed up as a work event that is plainly obvious. So the previous years were work events also?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

BTW, Martin is a huge boxing fan and has attended numerous Cork boxing events and shows for a long number of years. (If you google MM, Boxing, Cork, you'll find loads of photos confirming same....) This was probably his only opportunity to attend a Cork boxing event as Taoiseach before his time runs out

lol so it was personal then

If he presents it every year he wasn't Taoiseach last year so it was a personal event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

If this is true he needs to resign.

jackboy wrote: »
    If this is true he needs to resign.

And the entire cabinet
    The president aswell for appointing them
    We need to come down with a huge Sledge here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

And the entire cabinet

In all fairness he needs to explain how this is work, it's not that hard. He presented previous years in a personal capacity but now its work and he broke the regulations. Its actually quiet simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

And the entire cabinet

Were they there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Almost everyone is breaking restrictions. Nobody cares anymore.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Almost everyone is breaking restrictions. Nobody cares anymore.

This was 3 months ago people did care, we were all in this together, remember?

This was 3 months ago people did care, we were all in this together, remember?

And nobody cared then either.

Nobody reasonable anyway.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It’s fairly clear that people like drunkmonkey are angry about something and have now found a story to fuel that anger.

It doesn’t really matter what the story is as long as they can rant and rage against it.

I'm angry someone lies to the nation and you think that's perfectly ok. I wonder would auld Paddy Martin take so kindly to fibbers.
    Our Taoiseach has the moral compass of a sneaky snake, sooner people wake up the better.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    And nobody cared then either.

Nobody reasonable anyway.

Yes they did, remember golfgate?

Leaders should lead by example!

Yes they did, remember golfgate?

Leaders should lead by example!

I remember this being reported. Nobody cared.

I'm angry someone lies to the nation and you think that's perfectly ok. I wonder would auld Paddy Martin take so kindly to fibbers.
    Our Taoiseach has the moral compass of a sneaky snake, sooner people wake up the better.

I agree with the second part but when you go around getting outraged at everything and nothing then it makes it harder to take you seriously when there is something to get outraged about.

Not that I can take you seriously anyway so it’s moot.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Were they there too?

They elected him Taoiseach
    So they're culpable
    Jail them
    Paddy Cosgrave for Taoiseach
    Saint Chay for president!

Advertisement