Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The difference between those and the vaccine, is that all of those things depends on will power and the perfect human. There is no need for will power on the vaccine, as it is there for you already.

Now maybe the government should make smoking and drinking illegal, that would stop the above you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Vicxas wrote: »
    Nothing to do with lockdown, people are just buying phones online now.

Carphone warehouse closing isn't exactly "Nothing to do with the lockdown" when it obviously is...

We've been in Lockdown for 13 months, people terrified to leave their homes and not permitted to travel to the high street or shopping centres... So what do they do? Order online..
    With everyone ordering online it will be hard to get them back out purchasing locally and supporting jobs..

Less/no footfall in towns - Business close

Very sad to see in my local shopping centre where the Travel agents and the phone store is now boarded up due to the never ending lockdown..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Carphone warehouse closing isn't exactly "Nothing to do with the lockdown" when it obviously is...

We've been in Lockdown for 13 months, people terrified to leave their homes and not permitted to travel to the high street or shopping centres... So what do they do? Order online..
    With everyone ordering online it will be hard to get them back out purchasing locally and supporting jobs..

Very sad to see in my local shopping centre where the Travel agents and the phone store is now boarded up due to the never ending lockdown..

So by that logic, why aren't eir, 3, virgin mobile and all the Chinese phone shops closing down?

Carphone warehouse failed because it was an outdated business model. It failed in the uk and it failed here.

Nothing to do with lockdown. They closed them down in the UK before lockdown started and said Ireland will also go that way before lockdown started.

Was in a shopping centre at the weekend, Boots, Easons, cafes were all packed, Car phone empty, 3 and eir a queue out side it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We've been in Lockdown for 13 months

Have you?

That would explain a lot actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Michael saying everyone will receive a vaccine by June, won't happen but sure why not say it anyway nothing will happen when it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

showpony1 wrote: »
    Michael saying everyone will receive a vaccine by June, won't happen but sure why not say it anyway nothing will happen when it doesn't.

Where did he say that? The message of 80% by June doesn’t seem to have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boggles wrote: »
    How is Xtra-Vision doing?

We need to open up immediately!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nothing to do with lockdown. They closed them down in the UK before lockdown started and said Ireland will also go that way before lockdown started.
    Was in a shopping centre at the weekend, Boots, Easons, cafes were all packed, Car phone empty, 3 and eir a queue out side it

Both Lockdown and Brexit are still contributing factors to the loss of physical retail as people order online, that's a fact.
    Peoples behaviors have changed now due to the ongoing restrictions...
    I'd attribute Easons, and Boots being packed as due to bored browsers, however people will just go online to buy expense items like phones.
    Cafe's? Can't be ordered online! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Nice day out if the bars were open with outdoor area. We are thirsty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Should we get fat people to sign something similar if they don't agree to lose a few pounds?

As mad as it sounds a covid would be much less an issue of obesity wasn’t as prevalent

Both Lockdown and Brexit are still contributing factors to the loss of physical retail as people order online, that's a fact.
    Peoples behaviors have changed now due to the ongoing restrictions...
    I'd attribute Easons, and Boots being packed as due to bored browsers, however people will just go online to buy expense items like phones.
    Cafe's? Can't be ordered online! :D

hmmm, have you hit a new idea :)

As mad as it sounds a covid would be much less an issue of obesity wasn’t as prevalent

Very true. Obesity would be less of an issue if Alcohol wasn't available and sugary snacks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Amazing with all the finger-wagging going on for the last 13 months that obese people seemed to escape any kind of telling off from Tony and his NPHET nodding dogs.

Really? By what percentage? Because i don’t think it’d have much of an affect at all.

Sure, Covid would be much less of an issue if we didn’t live into our 80’s too. I guess we should all die younger should we?

Degag wrote: »
    Really? By what percentage? Because i don’t think it’d have much of an affect at all.

Sure, Covid would be much less of an issue if we didn’t live into our 80’s too. I guess we should all die younger should we?

What a terrible analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

The CDC found close to 80% of hospitalisations were overweight or obese.

Amazing with all the finger-wagging going on for the last 13 months that obese people seemed to escape any kind of telling off from Tony and his NPHET nodding dogs.

Well it would be a bit rich if they did so considering that they have closed gyms, pools etc etc for months on end.

It wasn’t my intention to offend anyone

Buts it not a made up assumption

https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19_and_Obesity-The_2021_Atlas.pdf
    As we show in this report, increased bodyweight is the second greatest predictor of hospitalisation and a high risk of death for people suffering from COVID-19. Only old age rates as a higher risk factor.
    The unprecedented economic costs of COVID-19 are largely due to the measures taken to avoid the excess hospitalisation and need for treatment of the disease. Reducing one major risk factor, overweight, would have resulted in far less stress on health services and reduced the need to protect those services from being overwhelmed.
    We show that in those countries where overweight affects only a minority of the adult population, the rates of death from COVID-19 are typically less than one tenth the levels found in countries where overweight affects the majority of adults.
    We also show that the drivers of overweight – especially high levels of consumption of processed foods – are associated with mortality from COVID-19.

Unfortunately closing gyms and pools for about 6 of the last 7 months won’t help this issue in Ireland

It’s time to start understanding and following science

What a terrible analogy.

Swooosh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Alot harder to lose a few pounds than take a simple injection that is free.

Yes, we should always choose the easier option, that will never end badly!

Very true. Obesity would be less of an issue if Alcohol wasn't available and sugary snacks!!!

No obesity would be less of an issue if one didn’t eat a few thousand more calories per day than required to maintain weight.

Previously it didn’t bother me what others did with their bodies until my freedom was restricted to protect them

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

bear1 wrote: »

This is starting to feel like a huge middle finger to all the expat, immigrants, etc living in Ireland. Most EU countries can already travel between each others, and it will be fun to see us not being able to go abroad while most other countries have vaccine passports and so on. Double slap in the face for those that haven't seen their families in months, if not over a year.

No obesity would be less of an issue if one didn’t eat a few thousand more calories per day than required to maintain weight.

Previously it didn’t bother me what others did with their bodies until my freedom was restricted to protect them

Kinda like people not taking vaccines?

Kinda like people not taking vaccines?

Do vaccines protect one from poor lifestyle choices?

It wasn’t my intention to offend anyone

Buts it not a made up assumption

https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19_and_Obesity-The_2021_Atlas.pdf

Unfortunately closing gyms and pools for about 6 of the last 7 months won’t help this issue in Ireland

It’s time to start understanding and following science
    As far as i’m aware, someone who is medically ‘obese’ can actually be a relatively fit and healthy person. At least that used to be the case. Anyhow, i’m sure there is some linkage but there are probably linkages to loads of things that we may not understand for quite a while - or indeed never.

Obesity is not ever a choice either. Yes the majority of people can probably try and do something about it but often it can something like genetics etc.

Do vaccines protect one from poor lifestyle choices?

I didn’t think the title of this forum we are posting in was called ‘Poor Lifestyle Choices?’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

muddypuppy wrote: »
    This is starting to feel like a huge middle finger to all the expat, immigrants, etc living in Ireland. Most EU countries can already travel between each others, and it will be fun to see us not being able to go abroad while most other countries have vaccine passports and so on. Double slap in the face for those that haven't seen their families in months, if not over a year.

I haven't seen my Dublin relatives in months due to the county-to-county travel restrictions, never mind my continental ones.

I think though the Government would want to be a little bit more aware that Ireland's population isn't just made up of people who were born and have always lived in Ireland and even those of us who were have many connections abroad and into continental Europe. Not everyone's disappearing off to the Costa Del Sol for the beach and beer.

I fully comprehend that we need to prevent new variants coming in, but we also need to be a lot more pragmatic about how we deal with the travel issues.

We had months and months where we left the border wide open, while countries like Germany had extensive testing in place. We kinda did a half-assed mess of sticking up a few auld posters and most people were just wandering in and out, while there are significant domestic restrictions in place.

Now we seem to have gone from that to utterly draconian implementation of travel restrictions and we never seem to have managed to get to that pragmatic level of sensible and balanced controls, where everyone entering was tested or where there was some kind of serious control of verifiable quarantine-at-home put in place.

You'd have to wonder what we're up to sometimes.

Also, the UK's measures are likely driven by Brexiteer Tories, who also were absolutely laissez faire in the initial months of this crisis and now seem to have gone hardcore too. I'm sure that's also likely driven by their politics which is a tad xenophobic, to put it mildly.

I just don't know what we're implementing. It seems to be utterly disjointed most of the time.

I'm not just saying this for the sake of controversy or contrarianism, but this is 100% definitely feeding into how I will be voting in any upcoming elections. I'm shocked at how badly the whole thing has been handled, particularly since last Christmas and I've definitely lost confidence in the government parties. It just feels like we're floundering and going through phases of totally underestimating the risks and then overreacting to them when what should have been blatantly obvious happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

muddypuppy wrote: »

It may be a law, but no court would enforce it. Its like the 2,000 euro fine for going abroad on holidays, was scrapped after a week. I've had no problem travelling abroad to countries willing to accept travellers with a negative test and haven't seen a guard or had any hassle on my return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

As far as i’m aware, someone who is medically ‘obese’ can actually be a relatively fit and healthy person. At least that used to be the case. Anyhow, i’m sure there is some linkage but there are probably linkages to loads of things that we may not understand for quite a while - or indeed never.

Obesity is not ever a choice either. Yes the majority of people can probably try and do something about it but often it can something like genetics etc.

Yeah, I'm sure the ICUs were full of lads that could have played outside center for Leinster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement