Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Yeah, I'm sure the ICUs were full of lads that could have played outside center for Leinster.

That is just being ridiculous !

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Degag wrote: »
    As far as i’m aware, someone who is medically ‘obese’ can actually be a relatively fit and healthy person. At least that used to be the case. Anyhow, i’m sure there is some linkage but there are probably linkages to loads of things that we may not understand for quite a while - or indeed never.

Obesity is not ever a choice either. Yes the majority of people can probably try and do something about it but often it can something like genetics etc.

It doesnt matter if you are a "fit fat" person or whether it was a choice.

Covid is more likely to result in severe symptoms, hospitalization and death in obese people.

The linkages are already well understood- the risk factors are age, being non white/POC, and (untreated) diabetes. Men more at risk than women too.

But obesity and diabetes are the only factors people can at least try to control.

It's a hard one to message when you on the one hand shut gyms and ask people to stay home, non essential medical appointments stopped, but yhen also ask people to somehow exercise more and get your diabetes and obesity under control on their own.

But just because Tony didnt call it out doesnt means it's not a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Sweden is curious why you didn't actually read the study.

Nothing that curious about Sweden compared to its Nordic neighbours. Other that as a report by The Spectator put it when comparing European countries on a geographic basis, that for deaths it was an "exception".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As far as i’m aware, someone who is medically ‘obese’ can actually be a relatively fit and healthy person. At least that used to be the case. Anyhow, i’m sure there is some linkage but there are probably linkages to loads of things that we may not understand for quite a while - or indeed never.

Obesity is not ever a choice either. Yes the majority of people can probably try and do something about it but often it can something like genetics etc.

yeah but it's seriously rare like

If you're classified as medically obese - odds are you're not even close to being healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if you are a "fit fat" person or whether it was a choice.

Covid is more likely to result in severe symptoms, hospitalization and death in obese people.

The linkages are already well understood- the risk factors are age, being non white/POC, and (untreated) diabetes. Men more at risk than women too.

But obesity and diabetes are the only factors people can at least try to control.

It's a hard one to message when you on the one hand shut gyms and ask people to stay home, non essential medical appointments stopped, but yhen also ask people to somehow exercise more and get your diabetes and obesity under control on their own.

But just because Tony didnt call it out doesnt means it's not a cause.

It's about time the causes of obesity was tackled head on like every other destructive personal behavior

Yet obesity gets danced around for fear of hurting people's feelings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Yeah, I'm sure the ICUs were full of lads that could have played outside center for Leinster.

Not what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

zebastein wrote: »
    France will announce the reopening of outdoor dining/drinking for mid-May. Though they are the most impacted European country at the moment, they plan for the future, because they are confident that the vaccination will put them in a much better position in a month time.

Ireland which had one of the lowest positivity rates for a month and a half now is still not able to plan anything. We need to wait 2/4/6 more weeks, these weeks are crucial, there are subjects of concern, ....

What in the name of dog is with the non stop Doom and Gloom or that Ireland is the Worstest country ever?

Have you been living on the moon perhaps? Ireland not planning anything wtf? Take a read.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/lockdown-restrictions-ireland-dublin-news-20428340

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40266422.html

We already have schools opened. We've already rolled back the stay at home /exercise locally restrictions etc with more rollback of restrictions to follow. We know this.

Atm France is having a ****show and has had rapidly rising case numbers And up to this they've had no roadmap at all.

Their current restrictions were extended countrywide on the 3rd of April and include a 10km restriction for any travel from a persons home except for essential reasons

A curfew for all areas of metropolitan France. Where again you can only leave your home for the specific reasons 

All schools are closed etc etc

So even as they make a huhaw about easing restrictions at some point in the future - the French Government are in reality desperately backpeddling and offering that restrictions will start to be rolled back in 2-6 weeks in an effort to keep people from saying "Zoot Alors!" - and going of a bit of old rioting as the French are fairly famous for tbf.

This is what is being promised with caveats in France atm
    In a televised address on 31 March, Macron announced the country could re-open  "with strict rules" from mid-May – including bars, restaurants and cultural venues – that have been closed since 30 October of last year.

Primary schools are scheduled to reopen on 26 April, with junior and senior high schools opening the following week. 

The implementation of the measures is expected to be complicated, while trying to maintain social distancing and sanitary protocols and ensure the prevention of a fourth wave of the virus.

Also on Tuesday, a Senate fact-finding committee recommended the gradual reopening of certain cultural venues depending on potential risks, in collaboration with local elected officials, even if the dates won't be the same for all regions

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20210415-macron-to-announce-roadmap-to-reopening-france-from-mid-may-covid-19-bars-restaurants-theatres

So yeah no doubt Ireland is definitely the worstest ever ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    It's a hard one to message when you on the one hand shut gyms and ask people to stay home, non essential medical appointments stopped, but yhen also ask people to somehow exercise more and get your diabetes and obesity under control on their own..

Astounding the way Holohan hasn't permitted the restart of Sport and physical activity, can't even have a round of solo Golf, can't go for a group cycle or run, can't travel to somewhere less crowded for a Hike in the mountains or a cycle along the Waterford greenway if you live in Dublin...gyms closed even with restricted numbers and hygiene measures that would match an operating theater...

Regular physical activity is the prime modality for the prevention of numerous non-communicable diseases and has also been advocated for resilience against COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.

Higher level of habitual physical activity is associated with a 31% risk reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

No obesity would be less of an issue if one didn’t eat a few thousand more calories per day than required to maintain weight.

Previously it didn’t bother me what others did with their bodies until my freedom was restricted to protect them

I honestly don't know how they manage it? Where do they even get the time? I just about hit my 2,500 everyday.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Nonsense, apart from some very rare conditions, it is a choice.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Astounding the way Holohan hasn't permitted the restart of Sport and physical activity, can't even have a round of solo Golf, can't go for a group cycle or run, can't travel to somewhere less crowded for a Hike in the mountains or a cycle along the Waterford greenway if you live in Dublin...gyms closed even with restricted numbers and hygiene measures that would match an operating theater...

Eh?

Maybe you missed the news too?

From next Monday, April 26. (Thats just five days away btw) Outdoor sports facilities can reopen (e.g. pitches, golf courses and tennis courts, other facilities as appropriate). Activities should take place between a maximum of two households.

Outdoor visitor attractions can reopen (i.e. zoos, open pet farms, heritage sites. Including take-away services.

You can also go to any less crowded location within your country plus 20 km whether that's a beach, a mountain or forest for a hike. And if you live in Waterford you can go for cycle on the greenway if you live there. Ditto the canal trackways in Dublin etc etc etc

Gyms remain an outlier due to known issues of increased risks as a indoor location. That said- nothing stopping you doing workouts outside or at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gyms closed even with restricted numbers and hygiene measures that would match an operating theater...

Some lad in spandex power lifting himself into a hernia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I wonder if they could open gyms in areas like fairly unused office multi-story carparks. LOADS of ventilation due to open sides, but they'd be dry enough to have equipment and they're usually well lit.

There must be buildings around, both private and public, with big empty spaces like that.

If people would just agree to not shower on site and go home. Yeah it's a bit smelly, but it's not that bad. You'd do an outdoor workout and go home, so why not an outdoor gym?

I'm sure some enterprising individual could also look at maybe placing gym equipment under some kind of roof structures, but fully outdoors with no sides.

The weather's not THAT bad at the moment - it's just its usual showery self.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

gozunda wrote: »
    What in the name of dog is with the non stop Doom and Gloom or that Ireland is the Worstest country ever?

Have you been living on the moon perhaps? Ireland not planning anything wtf? Take a read.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/lockdown-restrictions-ireland-dublin-news-20428340

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40266422.html

We already have schools opened. We've already rolled back the stay at home /exercise locally restrictions etc with more rollback of restrictions to follow. We know this.

Atm France is having a ****show with rapidly rising case numbers And up to this they've had no roadmap at all.

Their current restrictions were extended countrywide on the 3rd of April and include a 10km restriction for any travel from a persons home except for essential reasons

A curfew for all areas of metropolitan France. Where again you can only leave your home for the specific reasons

All schools are closed etc etc

So even as they make a huhaw about easing restrictions at some point in the future - the French Government are in reality desperately backpeddling and offering that restrictions will start to be rolled back in 2-6 weeks in an effort to keep people from saying "Zoot Alors!" - and going of a bit of old rioting as the French are fairly famous for tbf.

This is what is being promised with caveats in France atm

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20210415-macron-to-announce-roadmap-to-reopening-france-from-mid-may-covid-19-bars-restaurants-theatres

So yeah no doubt Ireland is definitely the worstest ever ...

Maybe France did not have a Roadmap in March because they had everything open as usual.

Speaking about the current restrictions in France in 2021:

- A total of 4 weeks national "lockdown". As you said they have a perimeter of 10km, but what you don't mention is that barbers/book shops... are open. To be compared to 4 months of strict lockdown in Ireland

- Shops have been fully open 3months + 1 month in click and collect. What about Ireland?

- Schools have been closed 1 week in total (they just extended the easter holidays of one week). Care for small children never closed.

The thing that you call a ****show does not translate in an increase of death. They have been stable over the last 4months, slightly decreasing.

Back to my point: I am not saying Ireland is the worst ever, but definitely the most cautious. Maybe you are happy that we ""already"" have the schools opened after months without school, and the right to go 20km instead of 5km. No shop, no personal services, no sport, no museum, no library.

But my opinion (and I am still allowed to have one) is that the country has been stable over the last 1-2months in terms of cases, and there is very little being reopened. There is close to nothing interesting in April for the majority of people. GAA, horse races and Zoos opened, how many jobs will be back in April ? 1% ? Not even a click and collect to save the retail economy.

I reiterate my message: we are 10days before May and they are not going to announce what restrictions will be eased before thursday or Friday next week, so that is basically announcing it 4days in advance. Maybe I am living on the moon but on my moon if you cannot tell what happen in 10days you cannot really say you have a plan.

Now if you happy that it takes 2months to move from level 5 to level 4 by easing one restriction every week good for you.

Do vaccines protect one from poor lifestyle choices?

Have actually heard of slimming jabs that people take to get thin. It’s a first world problem though obesity, in tandem with Netflix, takeaway and junk food. Lockdowns won’t have helped either. Filters down to kids too not exercising enough instead stuck on a screen, bad for their body, their eyes etc possibly munching away on junk as well. Bad habits being set up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Substitute 'the government' for 'Holohan' and you might have a point.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

OwenM wrote: »
    Nonsense, apart from some very rare conditions, it is a choice.

So, what i said yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Obviously the new sport is winding up anyone who might want to return to some semblance of normality!

Unfortunately it's unlikely to be any good for mind, body or spirit!

I wonder if they could open gyms in areas like fairly unused office multi-story carparks. LOADS of ventilation due to open sides, but they'd be dry enough to have equipment and they're usually well lit.
    There must be buildings around, both private and public, with big empty spaces like that.
    If people would just agree to not shower on site and go home. Yeah it's a bit smelly, but it's not that bad. You'd do an outdoor workout and go home, so why not an outdoor gym?.

Most gyms these days are all in massive warehouse style industrial units that were previously used by businesses, and don't have showers either, they are well ventilated and it's easy to maintain 2m distance, very little risk as those attending are in the lower risk age groups...

not all gyms have fancy showers and changing rooms...

Penfailed wrote: »
    Substitute 'the government' for 'Holohan' and you might have a point.

You can see where people get the idea that Holohan is the Marionettist in Govt. policy for the last year... and when they try create their own policies such as MHQ it blows up in their faces..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You can see where people get the idea that Holohan is the Marionettist in Govt. policy for the last year... and when they try create their own policies such as MHQ it blows up in their faces..

Even though he wasn't working for half of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211217-covid-restrictions/

Sounds like not much will change for the summer months compared to last summer :(:(:mad:

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Even though he wasn't working for half of it?

How many people still lucky enough to have a job need the Boss there all the time in order to keep working according to what's been laid out by said Boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrMiyagi12345

Long time lurker. Im in my mid 30s, my friends and I have been ignoring these abhorrent restricions for a long time now. Currently planning a weekend in an Airbnb somewhere for the bank holiday weekend. Should be about 10 of us. Plenty available thankfully. Drove from one side of the country to the other last weekend for a 2 night break with friends. Not a guard on the road. I would imagine they're done with this **** show too.

The only way to deal with these stupid rules is ignore them as best you can. Above all don't listen or watch RTE. I and most others I know have been getting on with our lives as best we can and plan on doing so. The "sky is falling in" types can continue on locking themselves away but I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211217-covid-restrictions/

Sounds like not much will change for the summer months compared to last summer :(:(:mad:

Where did you get that from that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how they manage it? Where do they even get the time? I just about hit my 2,500 everyday.

You need to try harder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Vicxas wrote: »
    Where did you get that from that article?

Here

'Elsewhere, at the launch of the 'Be Summer Ready' campaign, Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney said that while restrictions may impact where people can go and what they can do, there are still some standard safety precautions that people should not forget.

Mr Coveney said people can look with more confidence in relation to the removal of restrictions, and in time can reconsider international travel restrictions.

He said he is asking people to stay within their own counties, even though people are frustrated with the measures.

People are "not too far away" from better times, he said, adding that the months of June, July, August and September will be months of loosening restrictions and people feeling more confident that they can meet outside and holiday.

He said the Government will give advice throughout summer months, and that the message for now is no non-essential international travel, and people should not holiday away from home.

This may change over the coming months, he said, as they work towards a green passport that would confirm if a person has been fully vaccinated.

He said that system should be in place by the start of June, adding that there will be potential for international travel "over the coming months".

Not sounding over confident of major stuff like festivals/matches/concerts etc happening esp when the numbers naturally rise going into Autumn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not sounding over confident of major stuff like festivals/matches/concerts etc happening esp when the numbers naturally rise going into Autumn

Did you miss the news of a vaccination program, it's been out for a while now.

zebastein wrote: »
    Maybe France did not have a Roadmap in March because they had everything open as usual....

Is that so? You missed this then?
    In a televised address on 31 March, Macron announced the country could re-open  "with strict rules" from mid-May – including bars, restaurants and cultural venues –that have been closed since 30 October of last year

Or this?
    From Saturday 3 April, restrictive measures already in force in some parts of France are extended to the whole of the country.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Or that under the current lockdown there - much like us - only Shopping for essential supplies, for professional supplies, to collect orders or deliveries, or moving house is permitted?

But yeah France is in a ****show atm.

This is why. Rates of infection have not been brought under control.

56ld8x.jpg

As for the rest of it. Where we are in not a freking competition with a n other random countries. Some countries can progress faster as vaccination rates rise. Others won't for a range of reasons.

Tying your balloon to what at best are hopeful promises by the French Government as some type "oh look at us - we're ****e / too cautious" is simply bollocs.

Just one thing- our current travel restrictions is not "20km" btw

People here can now travel within their county or 20km from home from 12 April

Afaik the 20km add on is for those living close or near county borders.

The next set of restrictions are being rolled back next Monday. Let's get there first before engaging in further what ifs....
    if you(r) happy that it takes 2months to move from level 5 to level 4 by easing one restriction every week good for you

I'm "happy" that we're keeping the rate of infection low whilst we roll out the vaccination programme. I'm "happy" to see restrictions being reduced as that programme moves forward. That said I don't need someone to tell me what just might happen when we all know that such dates can be little more than provisional at this stage in the vaccine programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Graham wrote: »
    Did you miss the news of a vaccination program, it's been out for a while now.
    I think he's talking about festivals this summer/early autumn 2021. Obviously there will eventually be festivals and the like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement