Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I think he's talking about festivals this summer/early autumn 2021. Obviously there will eventually be festivals and the like.

He specifically said "not much will change" and then posted an article detailing all the things that will change and instead focused on one thing that's clearly not happening (uk festivals are being cancelled daily but he can't blame that on Tony holohan so it doesn't count)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Here
    Mr Coveney said people can look with more confidence in relation to the removal of restrictions, and in time can reconsider international travel restrictions.

Not much changing......

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211217-covid-restrictions/

Sounds like not much will change for the summer months compared to last summer :(:(:mad:
    Think tomorrows figures of cases is being set up nicely for feeding into scaling down any talk of real changes next week.There were 542 positive swabs today-still 2.8% positivity but on way above average test figure of over 19000 results but case figure was 401.Expect to see them in tomorrows doom fest from nphet which is a precursor to week.The u turn from varadker is beyond a joke.In 24 hours he went from highlighting the falling hospital numbers and ICu to today mysteriously only mentioning the "levelling or slightly rising"case figures as "something from last couple of days that would make you pause".This is groundhog day and with Tony on way back ,expect to see 5/6 days of this spin in papers to kick things down road yet again.These goalposts never get a chance to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,994 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Think tomorrows figures of cases is being set up nicely for feeding into scaling down any talk of real changes next week.There were 542 positive swabs today-still 2.8% positivity but on way above average test figure of over 19000 results but case figure was 401.Expect to see them in tomorrows doom fest from nphet which is a precursor to week.The u turn from varadker is beyond a joke.In 24 hours he went from highlighting the falling hospital numbers and ICu to today mysteriously only mentioning the "levelling or slightly rising"case figures as "something from last couple of days that would make you pause".This is groundhog day and with Tony on way back ,expect to see 5/6 days of this spin in papers to kick things down road yet again.These goalposts never get a chance to settle.

Other than using case numbers when looking at easing restrictions. what would you suggest Tossing a coin ?

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's about time the causes of obesity was tackled head on like every other destructive personal behavior

Yet obesity gets danced around for fear of hurting people's feelings...

Very true and yet in the last year we’ve only heard about one thing. No focus on getting people fitter, eating healthy, 5 a day etc. Not sure about dancing around people’s feelings because lots do go to gym or join slimming clubs, so there is an awareness or at least there was an awareness around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

charlie14 wrote: »
    Other than using case numbers when looking at easing restrictions. what would you suggest Tossing a coin ?

Coin would need to be multi headed to include hospitalisation numbers ,ICU numbers ,R Rate,society damage,economic damage,current and future state of country and its population,effectiveness or otherwise of current restrictions to deal with priority areas(which have been continuously chopped and changed to suit narrative).Work that coin out when it lands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You're right, they should use Case numbers as the key to easing restrictions, places like Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim with no covid cases should reopen fully..
    Along with all the other counties with less than 5 cases per day....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Long time lurker. Im in my mid 30s, my friends and I have been ignoring these abhorrent restricions for a long time now. Currently planning a weekend in an Airbnb somewhere for the bank holiday weekend. Should be about 10 of us. Plenty available thankfully. Drove from one side of the country to the other last weekend for a 2 night break with friends. Not a guard on the road. I would imagine they're done with this **** show too.

The only way to deal with these stupid rules is ignore them as best you can. Above all don't listen or watch RTE. I and most others I know have been getting on with our lives as best we can and plan on doing so. The "sky is falling in" types can continue on locking themselves away but I'm done.

Personally I'm somewhere in between "level 5 forever with no plan" and "I'm going to go share a house with 10 friends because I don't give a s*** about other people and I've had enough"- but you do you.

Coin would need to be multi headed to include hospitalisation numbers ,ICU numbers ,R Rate,society damage,economic damage,current and future state of country and its population,effectiveness or otherwise of current restrictions to deal with priority areas(which have been continuously chopped and changed to suit narrative).Work that coin out when it lands

So now there is much more to be considered other than just case numbers.
    Not the impression your original post gave.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You're right, they should use Case numbers as the key to easing restrictions, places like Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim with no covid cases should reopen fully..
    Along with all the other counties with less than 5 cases per day....

True, and now he is not doing much we could get Donald Trump to oversee the building of those counties border walls.

• Advertisement

True, and now he is not doing much we could get Donald Trump to oversee the building of those counties border walls.

Why should people in Sligo town have to wait until Dublin has Covid under control before they can go to a "non-essential" retail store or out for a pint?

Garda checkpoints can be put in place to stop day trippers or bookings not taken for addresses outside the fully opened counties, show I.D at the pub/restaurant...

No need for such dramatic measures as border walls..

Why should people in Sligo town have to wait until Dublin has Covid under control before they can go to a "non-essential" retail store or out for a pint?

Garda checkpoints can be put in place to stop day trippers or bookings not taken for addresses outside the fully opened counties, show I.D at the pub/restaurant...

So now you're against freedom of movement within the country?

So we have people on here boasting about going beyond the restriction limits. Even one recently telling us he has booked a B&B with 10 friends, and you believe that somehow you can open up pubs, restaurants and non-essential retail stores in individual counties based solely on I.D.

You sure you have thought this plan through ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thats sounds logical but there will be ways around it for sure

'Ah here i'm staying with me bud from Sligo town' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Garda checkpoints on every single road in and out of county Sligo 24/7? I don’t think it’s workable. We don’t have police and army to do localised restrictions properly. Until enough people are vaccinated significantly rolling back restrictions will only lead to further lockdowns, and potentially more variants that are harder to control. At this point anyway the fastest way out of the pandemic is to keep most of restrictions in place and vaccinate as fast as possible.

So we have people on here boasting about going beyond the restriction limits. Even one recently telling us he has booked a B&B with 10 friends, and you believe that somehow you can open up pubs, restaurants and non-essential retail stores in individual counties based solely on I.D.
    You sure you have thought this plan through ?

Boasting about something on an anonymous internet forum is one thing, but breaking restrictions by getting through Garda checkpoints is another...

It's time to open up Zero covid counties, create "low infection zones" open towns, villages, population centres with no covid and let the locals enjoy a pint and getting back to work..

You were going on about using Covid cases to determine restrictions and when I backed up that point you're asking me if I'd thought this through??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Boasting about something on an anonymous internet forum is one thing, but breaking restrictions by getting through Garda checkpoints is another...

It's time to open up Zero covid counties, create "low infection zones" open towns, villages, population centres with no covid and let the locals enjoy a pint and getting back to work..

You were going on about using Covid cases to determine restrictions and when I backed up that point you're asking me if I'd thought this through??

Or as suggested - we can keep on with vaccinations and keep the infection rate as low as possible and that will include everyone having to take up the slack for the likes of our friend above and his 10 friends or at least those like them.

Thats sounds logical but there will be ways around it for sure

'Ah here i'm staying with me bud from Sligo town' etc

If it was the other way round you'd be the first one crying and trying to blame Tony holohan....

Everyone knows it is not just boasting. The reason it didn`t have a more adverse effect on case numbers is because there was nowhere open.
    Have you any idea how many Garda it would take to patrol even the county roads between one county and those that border it. Multiple that by the number of counties you are proposing this plan for and on that basis alone it is a non-runner.

Open up towns villages and population centres just for local simply based on I.Ds. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

Your plan has nothing to do with using case numbers to determine restrictions.
    It`s a plan to encourage people to break restrictions.

Everyone knows it is not just boasting. The reason it didn`t have a more adverse effect on case numbers is because there was nowhere open.
    Have you any idea how many Garda it would take to patrol even the county roads between one county and those that border it. Multiple that by the number of counties you are proposing this plan for and on that basis alone it is a non-runner.
    Open up towns villages and population centres just for local simply based on I.Ds. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:
    Your plan has nothing to do with using case numbers to determine restrictions.
    It`s a plan to encourage people to break restrictions.

Grand so, you've just proved that you don't believe in data determining restrictions. If you feel it encourages people to break restrictions and risk their no covid zones being put back in line with level 5 then you vastly underestimate how smaller communities would act after their areas have been fully reopened.

Cork, Leitrim, Kilkenny and Kerry have been consistently outperforming other counties in keeping cases low, so they should be allowed to open now instead of waiting for places like Dublin to get the cases low...
    Don't need Gardai behind every bush.. trust the parishes, the villages and the town's residents to protect what they have achieved while they wait for the rest of Ireland to catch up.

• Advertisement

Grand so, you've just proved that you don't believe in data determining restrictions. If you feel it encourages people to break restrictions and risk their no covid zones being put back in line with level 5 then you vastly underestimate how smaller communities would act after their areas have been fully reopened.

Cork, Leitrim, Kilkenny and Kerry have been consistently outperforming other counties in keeping cases low, so they should be allowed to open now instead of waiting for places like Dublin to get the cases low...
    Don't need Gardai behind every bush.. trust the parishes, the villages and the town's residents to protect what they have achieved while they wait for the rest of Ireland to catch up.

It`s nonsense. What you are proposing is nothing to do with how smaller communities would act. It`s how others outside those communities would act.

What would your plan be for a county that has low numbers overall but has pockets that has higher numbers. Fence them off from the rest of the county.

So you'd have no issues with them applying the same logic up north??

It`s nonsense. What you are proposing is nothing to do with how smaller communities would act. It`s how others outside those communities would act.What would your plan be for a county that has low numbers overall but has pockets that has higher numbers. Fence them off from the rest of the county.

"It's nonsense" to you, however regional restrictions have worked all over the world, local lockdowns in places like Australia have meant that residents are getting haircuts, drinking pints and going to football matches...Same thing here, let people from smaller covid low/free zones go to Church, play parish GAA games..

If there are any nearby pockets of higher cases then introduce full contact tracing, this is something which is already in place, but on a regional basis it can be very successful and will be much more effective at keeping numbers low than sledge hammer lockdowns...

Like I've mentioned, create "Green zones" or zones of low infection, smaller countries tend to have populations centered around towns and small villages where zero or 5 or 10 cases have been recorded over a period of time, months in many cases...If you're familiar with small towns you'll know the sense of community that exists there, everyone knows everyone else pretty much, hardly going to risk their fully open status for a bunch of people driving up from Dublin who rock up at the local small pub looking for pints and a room at the local B&B are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Like I've mentioned, create "Green zones" or zones of low infection, smaller countries tend to have populations centered around towns and small villages where zero or 5 or 10 cases have been recorded over a period of time, months in many cases...If you're familiar with small towns you'll know the sense of community that exists there, everyone knows everyone else pretty much, hardly going to risk their fully open status for a bunch of people driving up from Dublin who rock up at the local small pub looking for pints and a room at the local B&B are they?

Fantasy land.

Any 2 horse bog town opens its pub doors now and it'll be like spring break in Miami this Saturday night.

"Regulars only" ? Good luck there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Jonathan seems to find it incredible that someone in Government can have a different opinion than the herd.

That right there is the problem with the media (and politics) in this country.

Excellent point.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭moonage

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I know several people in the last few days, declining the vaccine. I wont be a hypocrite here and then take this bull****, potentially dangerous vaccine! Why are the young and youngish being vaccinated ? They face virtually no risk. Could spend the millions saving more lives with suicide prevention etc

<Snip>

Random numbers with no source to back them up - you know what forum that belongs in don't you? Not this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Long time lurker. Im in my mid 30s, my friends and I have been ignoring these abhorrent restricions for a long time now. Currently planning a weekend in an Airbnb somewhere for the bank holiday weekend. Should be about 10 of us. Plenty available thankfully. Drove from one side of the country to the other last weekend for a 2 night break with friends. Not a guard on the road. I would imagine they're done with this **** show too.

The only way to deal with these stupid rules is ignore them as best you can. Above all don't listen or watch RTE. I and most others I know have been getting on with our lives as best we can and plan on doing so. The "sky is falling in" types can continue on locking themselves away but I'm done.

My freind group is the same age group as yourselves. A couple of us have been ignoring restrictions for months now but the rest of the lads were obeying restrictions. Last week this ended. We had a knees up and it was blissful. The guys who has been observing restrictions simply were no longer convinced. They lost faith in the mantra and the motivations. We never had a split or falling out. We all respected eachothers stance on the matter. But it's over now.

"It's nonsense" to you, however regional restrictions have worked all over the world, local lockdowns in places like Australia have meant that residents are getting haircuts, drinking pints and going to football matches...Same thing here, let people from smaller covid low/free zones go to Church, play parish GAA games..

If there are any nearby pockets of higher cases then introduce full contact tracing, this is something which is already in place, but on a regional basis it can be very successful and will be much more effective at keeping numbers low than sledge hammer lockdowns...

I`m very familiar with small towns, but I also know that counties do not just have small town and villages so where do you draw the line.
    Off the counties you mention Leitrim would have one of the smallest county towns, if not the smallest, Carrick-on-Shannon. Carrick weekends before Covid was hen & stag party central.
    Do you seriously believe if Carrick was in one of these "Green Zones" pubs, restaurants, hotels, B&B`s etc. are going to just cater to locals ?

I also know small towns well enough to know that Johnny when he`s back home from wherever drinks in a few local pubs with his family, pubs his family have drank in before he was even born, eats in a local restaurant and rocks up one weekend with friends from outside the "Green Zone" is not going to be refused service.

It`s nonsense and that is not even getting into those from pockets within this "Green Zone" with high numbers that will seemingly have no effect on transmissions due to contact tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Irish restrictions look about right

https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2F3a561d70-a28e-11eb-beab-c33a33fba5da-standard.png?dpr=2&fit=scale-down&quality=medium&source=next&width=700

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Irish restrictions look about right

Look at that, closest to the target zone for the 0% - 20% vaccination band.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement