Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

I’m getting a little worried that the U.K. might be going just that bit too fast now, driven by a political desire to declare victory.

There’s a slight degree of healthy caution still needed.
    It doesn’t mean being petrified or in lockdown, but I think I would still prefer to play safely until we’re entirely sure of virus definitely being under full control. It’s thrown a few curve balls in the past.

There’s always a danger in declaring victory before the war is won.

It’s very much proceed with an abundance of caution, but do proceed.

Is it evil to be glad that they are doing it first? I hope it does go well and we can all open up sometime this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Northeast Donegal is also basically a less vaccinated hinterland off Derry City. That’s risk as behaviours in NI change due to being ahead of us on vaccines. The gap is closing but there will be a few weeks in the twilight zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

AdamD wrote: »
    Anyone who took a stroll down the Grand Canal and up into Stephen's Green on any of the last 3 or 4 weekends could see thousands of people had moved on, though doing so outdoors at least.

People also seem to think they're more compliant than they actually are.

I happen to know a few who were and while they were " gathering " in a small group , they were with the same friends they are always with ( like a bubble ) and were distanced and outside .
    Don't condone it but can see it's a lot better than what was going on in Salthill .

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I happen to know a few who were and while they were " gathering " in a small group , they were with the same friends they are always with ( like a bubble ) and were distanced and outside .
    Don't condone it but can see it's a lot better than what was going on in Salthill .

How was Salthill bad?
    Its virtually impossible to catch it outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Northeast Donegal is also basically a less vaccinated hinterland off Derry City. That’s risk as behaviours in NI change due to being ahead of us on vaccines. The gap is closing but there will be a few weeks in the twilight zone.

It's also hopeful. The rates in Inishowen dropping seemed to coincide with the vaccination drive in Derry.

• Advertisement

Press conference at 2pm as well. Everyone shutting up shop early for the bank holiday.

Where can you watch it if you missed it on RTE ?

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Is it evil to be glad that they are doing it first? I hope it does go well and we can all open up sometime this year.

I think we’re in a position where we’ll quite gladly let them blaze a trail. If it’s working, brilliant. Let’s just hope it is.

We’re not that far behind them with the much expanded supplies on stream now, and they’re very similar in many respects.

Watch areas like the southwest of England and Scotland. They are very comparable to Ireland.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    It's also hopeful. The rates in Inishowen dropping seemed to coincide with the vaccination drive in Derry.

It’s got swings and roundabouts but that area was really badly infected due to being so close to Derry during the NI surge too.

They should be on similar vaccine levels fairly soon though and potentially with more Donegal people in double doses of mRNA vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They're usually on the RTÉ news facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Donegal should be closed off to the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

And money, we got several pamphlets in the post in English and Irish giving detailed infographics of the different levels. Think I'll keep it in the draw with my iodine tablets.

Here in Dublin we just got them 'as Gaeilge ' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yes, they could build a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The rest of the country should be closed off to Donegal.
    Pesky southerners coming up here for holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

There are so many reasons why some people are obese , and it's not all down to lack of excercise .
    Obviously in some cases but usually as a result of some other issue like illness, depression
    or arthritis to give some examples .
    Also people with diabetes have been " prescribed excercise " for the last century so please stop with the simplistic rhetoric!
    There are metabolic reasons for diabetics gaining weight around their belly and organs , it's not just as simple as eat less and excercise .
    If it was most of the population would be slim, fit and healthy .

There is only one reason people are obese, excess calorie consumption and not moving enough to burn said calories. It really is that simple. Eat less move more.

And the amount of people in healthcare that are in this very category after all we know about the dangers of this and they’re the ones giving the advice.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Can watch it back here or on the rte Facebook page.

A long enough one today but a decent watch.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1388121941849092102?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bit mad for them to single out Donegal. Non compliance is going on everywhere.

I suspect Donegal people will just get annoyed about being singled out and will ignore any advice.

A bit petty from Tony and Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

OwenM wrote: »
    No it's not. The walk in centre's are screening, and we are combining those results with testing where a rationale to test exists.

Screening is not diagnosis, and this has been a very forcefully made point in the cervical check debacle. Except screening is diagnosis when it suits NPHET.

Actually it depends. A screening test is not a diagnostic test but a diagnostic test can be used for screening. Diagnostic tests are just more expensive and more accurate than a screening test, that's why cheap less accurate tests are normally used for mass screening. If they pick up something suspect, a better more thorough test is undertaken.

We only have the one test here for covid, PCR, so screening and diagnostic are somewhat interchangeable in this context.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Most people who are overweight eat too much calories. Yes their can metabolic reasons but thats a small percentage.

Do agree that's its mainly diet. Exercise can help but unless extremely intense it dosent actually burn that many calories

He was talking about diabetes though which is totally metabolic .

In normal circumstances with no underlying conditions , I would agree .
    But even depression can lead to obesity and its then a vicious circle for people .

So my point was that it's just as simple as saying eat less and excercise .

It's actually very hard for some people who are doing their best to listen to that from others who really don't know what they are talking about .

Not getting at you btw , just have seen enough to know how these comments just don't help people .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

eigrod wrote: »
    Interesting. The declaration of the end of the pandemic may have also implications for the price paid for vaccine.

Also interesting that it's made this week when allegations of corruption and quotes like "let the bodies pile high" are being leveled against Johnson.

Actually it depends. A screening test is not a diagnostic test but a diagnostic test can be used for screening. Diagnostic tests are just more expensive and more accurate than a screening test, that's why cheap less accurate tests are normally used for mass screening. If they pick up something suspect, a better more thorough test is undertaken.

We only have the one test here for covid, PCR, so screening and diagnostic are somewhat interchangeable in this context.

We do have antigen tests which are cheaper and faster - but arent rolling them out on a mass scale.

There is limited "mass-testing"/screening going on in schools and other areas - I'm not sure if they are still at that

• Advertisement

How was Salthill bad?
    Its virtually impossible to catch it outside.

Well put it this way , some in Salthill were so close they were sharing each others snot !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Marty Bird wrote: »
    There is only one reason people are obese, excess calorie consumption and not moving enough to burn said calories. It really is that simple. Eat less move more.

And the amount of people in healthcare that are in this very category after all we know about the dangers of this and they’re the ones giving the advice.

Lots of reasons for weight gain or loss..........I have had a spell with an over active thyroid.......lost a pile weight while eating all around me......I don't recommend it, by the way! But I have also had an under active thyroid which puts on weight. The usual calculations of calorie intake vs calorie burn are just out the window in these situations. And that's just one condition. People can have a very high BMI and therefore high risk for lots of different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,450 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wadacrack wrote: »
    545 cases, 4 deaths. High number in Dublin

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1388122710182699010
    50 cases in Cork today.

Examiner reporting Gardai investigating a party in Youghal re outbreak
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    18th birthday party in Youghal is the source of the outbreak. Nearly 20 in a secondary school in Carrigtwohill positive as a result of it.

The parents should be punished as well as the children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

We are testing around 140,000 a week now aren't we.

Yes

There's still no capacity added to the testing capabilities beyond 20k a day

Meanwhile the UAE are testing an average of 200,000 a day on a population of nearly 10 million

A year into this and the testing capacity in Ireland still hasn't been added to properly and yet vaccines and testing are the way out of this

Fcuking joke tbh

Testing capacity way beyond 20k a day is the next big thing the "government" should be tackling

vienne86 wrote: »
    Lots of reasons for weight gain or loss..........I have had a spell with an over active thyroid.......lost a pile weight while eating all around me......I don't recommend it, by the way! But I have also had an under active thyroid which puts on weight. The usual calculations of calorie intake vs calorie burn are just out the window in these situations. And that's just one condition. People can have a very high BMI and therefore high risk for lots of different reasons.

Absolutely Vienne .
    One of my family is an unstable diabetic who yoyos with weight gain and loss depending on his sugars levels which can go up at the drop of a hat when sick or stressed.
    In his 20s, cycles everywhere , eats an amazingly healthy carb free diet and plays sports ...but sometimes gets grief for putting a belly on , from some ignorant people .
    Very hard to keep him motivated and on course when he was a teen and just diagnosed because of peer pressure .

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The parents should be punished as well as the children

Yes I agree Liz we should get the army out to break up house parties and intern anyone caught attending

Can watch it back here or on the rte Facebook page.

A long enough one today but a decent watch.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1388121941849092102?s=19

Thanks for that stephenjmcd and Dr Jimbob !
    Funny to watch it and see different colour hearts floating up while they are talking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I’m getting a little worried that the U.K. might be going just that bit too fast now, driven by a political desire to declare victory.
    Declaring victory yes but i'd say the real driver is economic and debt driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Declaring victory yes but i'd say the real driver is economic and debt driven.

One could say the same over here.

Only last week, mentions of needing to cut covid spending and budgetary warnings.

A week later 200,000 people are heading back to work in May.

And for the record I am delighted they can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This a great watch. Speaks about Covid and Irrationality from about 30 min. Its very relevant to this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2D_x-AMfw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement