Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Did you even bother to read my post? :confused:

Its not staggering at all. Many of those who died with Covid would have died in the short term anyway. I think we all knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Some seriously crap people have become famous due to corona. Berenson on one side and the other Eric.....

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1388191938529144832

Of all the online **** of the last 12 months, this Eric guy surely takes the gold

He's like an amalgamation of Staines and McDonkey put together and I'm very surprised Twitter hasn't banned him yet for blatant Misinformation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

122 now in hospital according to Paul Reid

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1388241302446383104?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Was 150 on Wed.

Great numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Was 150 on Wed.

Great numbers.

Daily cases number not so great... Going the wrong way and will probably rise even further over the coming days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

DellyBelly wrote:
    Daily cases number not so great... Going the wrong way and will probably rise even further over the coming days..

Your time has passed. Move along to other interests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I heard on highland radio its a 2 to 3 hour round trip for some parts of Donegal to go for a covid test. Google maps currently has 2 hours 20 minutes round trip from the far north of Donegal to letterkenny, that's with zero traffic given the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

DellyBelly wrote: »

Except they're not rising, positivity is stable or slightly dropping. We're simply catching more cases by doing more testing. You're well aware of this, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I heard on highland radio its a 2 to 3 hour round trip for some parts of Donegal to go for a covid test. Google maps currently has 2 hours 20 minutes round trip from the far north of Donegal to letterkenny, that's with zero traffic given the time.

but the current hotspots are Milford and letterkenny which is a 20 minute drive. I suspect there is lack of testing available. the walk in test centre was only opened a week ago despite persistentantly high figures in the NE of the county.
    I suspect the numbers will only go up with derry reopening which hasn't exactly got a low rate (14 day is around 350 per 100000)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

eigrod wrote: »

They should be left in level 5 and let the rest of the country crack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

but the current hotspots are Milford and letterkenny which is a 20 minute drive. I suspect there is lack of testing available. the walk in test centre was only opened a week ago despite persistentantly high figures in the NE of the county.
    I suspect the numbers will only go up with derry reopening which hasn't exactly got a low rate (14 day is around 350 per 100000)

Where are you finding the local breakdowns for Northern Ireland - I have looked a few places but cannot find them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They should be left in level 5 and let the rest of the country crack on

Build a big beautiful wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Except they're not rising, positivity is stable or slightly dropping. We're simply catching more cases by doing more testing. You're well aware of this, too.
    I think we're doing really well, but just as a general point - given the biased sampling (a person with covid is more likely to go for a test than a person without), the positivity rate would be expected to decrease as the number of "more random" tests increases.

If you checked the positivity rate of pregnancy tests bought in boots, and then expanded your search to testing random women on the street in their twenties, and then further expanded your testing to include random women in general, and then further expanded to random people in general, you'd expect the positivity rate to drop (but also be an increasingly accurate estimate of how many people are pregnant in the general population).

Obviously the effects in that example will be wildly more exaggerated than for covid, but while the sampling is neither random nor has a consistent bias, the positivity rate shouldn't be expected to scale exactly linearly.

All that said, I do agree we're heading in the right direction at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »

So why are hospital admissions rising?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/weekly-hospital-admissions-covid-per-million?time=2021-01-31..latest&country=~IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Daily case numbers are mostly impacting under 30s, who aren't putting pressure on the hospital system.

The hospital numbers are the key metric now. Unless a swathe of under 30s are going to hospital because of a not-seen-yet mutant variant, then the daily case numbers aren't going to have much value especially as the over-60s start getting vaccinated next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Faugheen wrote: »
    Daily case numbers are mostly impacting under 30s, who aren't putting pressure on the hospital system.

The hospital numbers are the key metric now. Unless a swathe of under 30s are going to hospital because of a not-seen-yet mutant variant, then the daily case numbers aren't going to have much value especially as the over-60s start getting vaccinated next week.

Nail on the head.

But the misery junkies will fight to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lumen wrote: »

I think that will show to be a blip, with that data now 5 days behind. Our current number of hospitalisations are down to 123 after hovering around 150 for a bit and going up to circa 170 for a few days.

Also if you go back to November you will notice there was a similar uptick on the graph, which was then followed by a sharp downward trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I think that will show to be a blip, with that data now 5 days behind. Our current number of hospitalisations are down to 123 after hovering around 150 for a bit and going up to circa 170 for a few days.

Also if you go back to November you will notice there was a similar suptick on the graph, which was then followed by a sharp downward trajectory.

To add, the number of new confirmed Covid cases in hospital over the past 24 hours was 5 (per the Dashboard). This is the lowest number since 30th November, and the joint lowest since 18th September. Our hospital numbers are looking excellent right now, and likely to fall further with the over 60s vaccination gathering pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To add, the number of new confirmed Covid cases in hospital over the past 24 hours was 5 (per the Dashboard). This is the lowest number since 30th November, and the joint lowest since 18th September. Our hospital numbers are looking excellent right now, and likely to fall further with the over 60s vaccination gathering pace.

But there's birthday parties in Donegal?

is_that_so wrote: »

There's a lot on that page. Can you highlight which bit disagrees?

I'm talking about the trend in hospital admissions with COVID, not the number of people in hospital with COVID. That latter statistic is heavily influenced by the very long tail of the post-Christmas spike.

There's a lot on that page. Can you highlight which bit disagrees?

I'm talking about the trend in hospital admissions with COVID, not the number of people in hospital with COVID. That latter statistic is heavily influenced by the very long tail of the post-Christmas spike.

This is the hospital section. Hospital admissions have fallen over the past week.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

This is the hospital section. Hospital admissions have fallen over the past week.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

Again, that's a large page with a lot of charts and data. Which bit specifically?

edit: let me try. This bit? The data looks quite stochastic. Presumably that's the same data as OWID uses for the trend?

image.png

Again, that's a large page with a lot of charts and data. Which bit specifically?

Acute hospitals section , confirmed cases in last 24 hours chart.

You can also download all the data in the data and services section.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

edit: let me try. This bit? The data looks quite stochastic. Presumably that's the same data as OWID uses for the trend?

image.png

This looks to be daily admissions to hospital for the last 5-6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

"There remains a significant risk of a further wave" *if* "the level of social contact increases too much" before enough people are vaccinated.
    Letter from Tony Holohan to Health Minister 28th April recommending eased restrictions.

179960423_10158176013415872_8577699481350327793_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=YYoP808sH28AX_XCeSj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4cee2ad165b5a7d07ba74093d4bc1d26&oe=60B2EF6B

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

image.png

Yes except OWID hasn't updated graphs for Ireland since Tuesday.

Acute hospitals section , confirmed cases in last 24 hours chart.

You can also download all the data in the data and services section.

OK, so the stat for that graph appears to be SUM_number_of_new_covid_19_cases_co

Available from the dataset named CovidStatisticsProfileHPSCIrelandOpenData

https://covid-19.geohive.ie/datasets/d8eb52d56273413b84b0187a4e9117be_0?geometry=-28.986%2C51.131%2C12.872%2C55.708

This is the chart (daily and 7-day) including the Christmas peak.

The trend does indeed seem to have gone down again the last few days. Good news!

image.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

As of 8pm last night 122 hospital cases with the highest being the Mater at 13.

Includes 44 ICU cases with 26 requiring ventilation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement