Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Ok, so if this is responsible for so many of our cases now why wasn't it back last summer when we were getting days with 4 or 5 cases.

Because we weren't testing thousands of asymptomatic people last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Dr. Em wrote: »
    There are already private testing centres there. Some countries have free testing upon arrival to try to prevent infection coming into the country, but that is generally only practical if small numbers are travelling. Dublin airport, even with only 5-10 percent of its usual numbers, handles too large a number of passengers.
    For outgoing tests, the general consensus seems to be that if you can afford a flight, you can afford a test.

Maybe we should think a little bit broader than that. Travel is normal and we should be facilitating it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd imagine its more to do with that a lot of the restrictions particularly outdoor are just rubbish. Once people were any bit careful indoors, transmission was always going to drop like a stone.

There is absolutely no doubt that there were hundreds of thousands of people in groups drinking last weekend breaking restrictions and yet no real spike in cases. You couldn't have thrown a stone in Dublin last Saturday and Sunday without hitting someone breaking restrictions.

Yet close contacts remain static.

I have no doubt many people were out drinking last weekend, but the scale which you describe I think is inaccurate.

If it was anything like you’re saying then we wouldn’t have close contacts remaining low like they have been.

We’ve heard for weeks here about these widespread breaking of restrictions when it’s simply not the case. If it’s even suggested that it’s not the case then people are laughed at.

Seriously, can we not park all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Faugheen wrote: »
    Yet close contacts remain static.

I have no doubt many people were out drinking last weekend, but the scale which you describe I think is inaccurate.

If it was anything like you’re saying then we wouldn’t have close contacts remaining low like they have been.

We’ve heard for weeks here about these widespread breaking of restrictions when it’s simply not the case. If it’s even suggested that it’s not the case then people are laughed at.

Seriously, can we not park all of this?

If most of those people meeting outside in groups arent catching covid (because outdoors is so much lower risk) then there will be no increase in close contacts seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,055 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There has to be an acceptance that case numbers will rise

No need to hit the panic button too quick, going back into a heavy lockdown would be detrimental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This one from the Independent at it again trying to get a soundbite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

The key metric is hospitalisation numbers.

We should be looking globally at a conversion ratio i.e. X cases : X Hospitalisations and X cases : X deaths.

That would be more likely to tell you how serious the outbreak is.

timmyntc wrote: »
    If most of those people meeting outside in groups arent catching covid (because outdoors is so much lower risk) then there will be no increase in close contacts seen?

Even if people are catching it, if it was the case in the OP then there would still be an increase in close contacts.

Fact is a lot of people who were out drinking in parks were from the same household. My brother went drinking down by the Dodder in Milltown with 4 of his housemates. None of them breaking any restrictions and this would be the case for a lot of people.

Just because you see groups of people drinking in parks it doesn’t mean they’re breaking restrictions.

Because we weren't testing thousands of asymptomatic people last summer.

We were testing 50,000 people a week last summer.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There has to be an acceptance that case numbers will rise

No need to hit the panic button too quick, going back into a heavy lockdown would be detrimental

There is an acceptance.

If you were watching the briefing, Philip Nolan made this very point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

“Clear non compliance happening in Donegal - there’s no point in saying otherwise”

Holohan says there’s a lot of behaviour that “the dogs in the street even in Donegal would know” is not appropriate.

Donegal needs to cop on.

Shin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

We were testing 50,000 people a week last summer.

We are testing around 140,000 a week now aren't we.

Yes, and this time we also have walk-ins designed entirely to find asymptomatic cases.

I think the walk-ins don’t get the love they deserve. I fully believe that if we had them last year then we wouldn’t have had the problems we did in October and Christmas and without them we wouldn’t be looking at opening at the rate we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

I was just wondering as we now have completed 4.5 million tests is that a majority of people getting multiple tests?

It's just that I've counted up about 40 people, family, friends & work colleagues and I believe 5 got tests and 1 actually got Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Faugheen wrote: »
    Even if people are catching it, if it was the case in the OP then there would still be an increase in close contacts.

Fact is a lot of people who were out drinking in parks were from the same household. My brother went drinking down by the Dodder in Milltown with 4 of his housemates. None of them breaking any restrictions and this would be the case for a lot of people.

Just because you see groups of people drinking in parks it doesn’t mean they’re breaking restrictions.

But the whole point I'm making is that the # of close contacts is only measured based on those who test positive. So if the people mixing with lots of close contacts (but only outdoors) are not testing positive, then that increase in contacts will not be measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

PCros wrote: »
    I was just wondering as we now have completed 4.5 million tests is that a majority of people getting multiple tests?

It's just that I've counted up about 40 people, family, friends & work colleagues and I believe 5 got tests and 1 actually got Covid.
    Some people are tested very regularly because they work in health sector/whatever.

Pretty bleak stuff in India
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/28/crime-against-humanity-arundhati-roy-india-covid-catastrophe?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Yes, but it's not true that we weren't testing asymptomatic people. Our positivity rate back then was 0.3%. So this narrative that that we only have more cases because we are doing more tests is false.

It is still important to test as many people as we can, that way you can break transmission chains that would otherwise be missed, due to people being asymptomatic or having mild symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Yes, but it's not true that we weren't testing asymptomatic people. Our positivity rate back then was 0.3%. So this narrative that that we only have more cases because we are doing more tests is false.

It is still important to test as many people as we can, that way you can break transmission chains that would otherwise be missed, due to people being asymptomatic or having mild symptoms.

No it's not. The walk in centre's are screening, and we are combining those results with testing where a rationale to test exists.

Screening is not diagnosis, and this has been a very forcefully made point in the cervical check debacle. Except screening is diagnosis when it suits NPHET.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PCros wrote: »

That 4.5m would include a lot of people who get tested a lot. My friend works in a nursing home and he wouldn't be able to you how many times he has been tested it was that often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

shinzon wrote: »
    Donegal needs to cop on.

Shin

Non-compliance, yes, there is that. There have also been significant school outbreaks and it is not helped by the fact that half of the county does their shopping in one place: Letterkenny. And in my personal experience, GPs seem reluctant to refer anyone for testing. Hopefully with the walk-in testing centre finally open the numbers will improve. It should have been open weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Non-compliance, yes, there is that. There have also been significant school outbreaks and it is not helped by the fact that half of the county does their shopping in one place: Letterkenny. And in my personal experience, GPs seem reluctant to refer anyone for testing. Hopefully with the walk-in testing centre finally open the numbers will improve. It should have been open weeks ago.

Was up in my hometown, Donegal Town and I was surprised to see how compliant people were compared to Dublin. All the businesses were very careful. A lot of people wearing masks outdoor walking too. I met with a couple of friends on the diamond to go for a walk and I felt people were staring at us. Also people moved well out of your way as you walked past them, although they did that before Covid:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Was up in my hometown, Donegal Town and I was surprised to see how compliant people were compared to Dublin. All the businesses were very careful. A lot of people wearing masks outdoor walking too. I met with a couple of friends on the diamond to go for a walk and I felt people were staring at us. Also people moved well out of your way as you walked past them, although they did that before Covid:pac:

look at the latest numbers for electoral areas on https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

SW donegal 14 day rate is 42 per 10000 whilst milford is 675 and letterkenny 578

very definitely some big pockets there and none seems to know why

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I know a few people that were gym regulars and tried to find alternatives and then gave up up the last year and so have fallen out to the habit while also eating and drinking more than they should. They are now heavier and more at risk

Another report last week linked fitness with lower risk (33%) of being badly effected by covid,
    Makes no sense to me to categorise gym and pub in terms of risk when it comes to reopening.

The real elephant in the room of course is that obesity is a proven major contributor to this pandemic and yet it gets little coverage.

obese people who have been vaccinated because their size puts them in the high risk category are not told why they are getting fast tracked. Doctors are afraid or not willing to break it to them.

So maybe we should open the gyms and start prescribing exercise rather than medication for hypertension, diabetes etc.

There are so many reasons why some people are obese , and it's not all down to lack of excercise .
    Obviously in some cases but usually as a result of some other issue like illness, depression
    or arthritis to give some examples .
    Also people with diabetes have been " prescribed excercise " for the last century so please stop with the simplistic rhetoric!
    There are metabolic reasons for diabetics gaining weight around their belly and organs , it's not just as simple as eat less and excercise .
    If it was most of the population would be slim, fit and healthy .

Yes, most people seem to be very careful. Donegal and Glenties districts have had pretty consistently low numbers too. I'm not sure what is going on in Letterkenny and Milford. There are a lot of large employers there who might be classified as essential and have employees on-site. Of course there is also non-compliance, but it doesn't seem like that can be the only explanation.

There are two Donegals though. I find the driving culture changes for example as soon as you cross the Barnesmore Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Goldengirl wrote: »
    There are so many reasons why some people are obese , and it's not all down to lack of excercise .
    Obviously in some cases but usually as a result of some other issue like illness, depression
    or arthritis to give some examples .
    Also people with diabetes have been " prescribed excercise " for the last century so please stop with the simplistic rhetoric!
    There are metabolic reasons for diabetics gaining weight around their belly and organs , it's not just as simple as eat less and excercise .
    If it was most of the population would be slim, fit and healthy .

Most people who are overweight eat too much calories. Yes their can metabolic reasons but thats a small percentage.

Do agree that's its mainly diet. Exercise can help but unless extremely intense it dosent actually burn that many calories

I’m getting a little worried that the U.K. might be going just that bit too fast now, driven by a political desire to declare victory.

There’s a slight degree of healthy caution still needed.
    It doesn’t mean being petrified or in lockdown, but I think I would still prefer to play safely until we’re entirely sure of virus definitely being under full control. It’s thrown a few curve balls in the past.

There’s always a danger in declaring victory before the war is won.

It’s very much proceed with an abundance of caution, but do proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

eigrod wrote: »

Too late for his cousin Phil...

• Advertisement

look at the latest numbers for electoral areas on https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

SW donegal 14 day rate is 42 per 10000 whilst milford is 675 and letterkenny 578

very definitely some big pockets there and none seems to know why

Letterkenny has a population of about 20k. A few large outbreaks that haven't been properly traced or clamped down on can skew the percentages a lot when you are dealing with small numbers. And yes, that would be the same for every other town, but hopefully the new walk-in testing centre will get on top of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement