Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the USA - 10 killed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The media plays a big part in turning these shooters in to 'heros' non stop wall to wall coverage with tables showing who has the most kills. There should be a blanket ban on all information on mass shooters. Don't give them the fame they desire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

salmocab wrote: »
    But so long as some morons get to have their guns they really don’t care about people’s lives.

This is bullsh1t.

I'm a gun owner. Are you saying I don't care about people's lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Common sense is no longer common.

Apparently

ypres5 wrote: »
    It shouldn't become a question of race or even motivation the main concern is gun control or the lack of it in america

Haha, that's some turn around in your thinking from one of your original posts in this thread. I wonder what changed your mind? Pathetic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    774 murders in 2020 alone. 3237 shooting incidents.

And they have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

They are different kinds of shootings though, not the same.

Shooting as part of, say, a bank robbery or as part of inter-gang warfare come from very different motivations (and would require different solutions) to somebody shooting at a group of random strangers...

...if that's what has happened here. the fact that the shooter is Syrian-born raises the possibility that this was motivated by Islam, in which case it's a different kind of mass shooting again, with different factors bring it about. Just from my recollection, Islam-motivated shootings tend to be a bit more targeted (such as a gay bar), but it might still be one.

I think when most people heard the news, their first thought was that this was likely another mass shooting of the 'disaffected, angry-at-the-world, loner' type, who just starts blasting away at a bunch of strangers, or else at a location where they used to work, or where their ex-wife works, or where the boss who once fired them works, or somewhere that sparked a real or imagined slight that they nursed until it consumed them, and everybody else is just collateral damage. And, for most people outside (and probably most people inside) America, that's the most difficult kind of shooting for people to get their head around, and as a consequence these shootings get heavy media coverage even though they represent a tiny fraciton of the overall gun violence.

But as of yet, we don't know what the motivations were.

• Advertisement

This is bullsh1t.

I'm a gun owner. Are you saying I don't care about people's lives?

I know nothing of your reasons for having a gun so wouldn’t be judging you, I used the word some for a reason, that said I’m sure every gun owner says they are responsible and care about people’s lives yet people keep getting killed, often by legally held guns. Ultimately though the amount of guns means that life is cheapened and lobby’s keep up the mantra that the issue is people. People are certainly a part of the issue, a big part but the murder rates in America suggest that guns are a big part of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It shouldn't become a question of race or even motivation the main concern is gun control or the lack of it in america

This you?
    Another name incident of far right white nationalist terror in the space of a week. can we have a conversation on it now or will we stay in denial like so many on boards were with the atlanta shooting?

Now, when its shown the shooter is a Syrian immigrant we have a shameless pivot away from ethnicity as a motivation into gun control? Nah, can we have a conversation about how white people in the US are the victims of ethnic hatred or will we stay in denial?

How about the case of two black teenagers who with no apparent motive doused an old white man in flammable liquid and set him on fire. He suffered second and third degree burns over 70% of his body and died in excruciating pain. The level of sadism required to do that to another human being is nearly unthinkable. But it is the level of hatred which these black teenagers had towards a white man who they didn't know and had no connection with. Just another example of the torrent of violent, hateful and brutal deaths white people suffer in the US.

But instead people want to delude themselves and others about 'far right white nationalist terror'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's very disturbing that the first thing everyone jumps to is the race of the shooter. Not necessarily on boards but in general.

It's like ten people have just died maybe not use it as a political point for a few hours.

The USA is currently in the midst of a racial/identity-based moral panic that conveniently kicked off when Occupy Wall Street was gaining momentum. Now people are too busy pointing the finger at each other along identity lines to demand meaningful change and effective management from the powers that be. Just the way they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know nothing of your reasons for having a gun so wouldn’t be judging you, I used the word some for a reason, that said I’m sure every gun owner says they are responsible and care about people’s lives yet people keep getting killed, often by legally held guns. Ultimately though the amount of guns means that life is cheapened and lobby’s keep up the mantra that the issue is people. People are certainly a part of the issue, a big part but the murder rates in America suggest that guns are a big part of it too.

I'll absolutely acknowledge that every gun owner isn't responsible with their firearms but the vast vast majority are. I've already said in this thread that I don't believe everyone should have access to a gun.

Speaking personally, I hate seeing mass shootings or any kind of shootings for two reasons. Firstly, I don't like seeing people being killed, and also because I know I'll take heat because I'm a gun owner. Even though I'm responsible with my firearm, I'm looked upon as some sort of criminal or deviant for owning a gun. Funny though, most people who like a drink don't take any heat when a drunk driver ploughs into a crowd or bus and wipes out a load of people.

KKlHwcE.jpg

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

The mainstream media in the US has a lot to answer for. They have whipped up a hateful narrative against white people in the US. The shooter apparently had a chip on his shoulder about 'racism'. US media has normalized this sort of hatred. And the results are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We don't know if race was a factor when Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa were choosing victims.

The real threat of a tyrannical government. Would you give over with this nonsense.

I have been reliably informed by several US news organisations that the American democracy was imperiled on January 6, 2021, and the country was almost taken over by a bunch of fascist, white nationalist, insert-other-hyperbole insurrectionists. They don't seem to think it's nonsense.

FWIW I hate guns. I get nervous when I see them on police at airports and in other countries on the street. But even I am not sure that I would want to live in a heavy gun ownership state the US and not own one. And if I lived in the US and owned a gun, I don't think I would be willing to give that up if guns were banned.

If anything, moving from a "tonnes of people have guns" system to a "law-abiding people do not have guns but criminals still do" scenario would likely make me very determined to make sure I was armed.

I don't think the US is getting rid of guns any time soon, unfortunately; certainly not in any way that will lead to less gun crime. Last year, in the wake of the IDpol riots, record numbers of people who had never owned guns before, bought them. And a lot of people who did own guns and feared an upcoming administration might impose strict gun control accidentally "dropped them off the side of a boat on a fishing trip" and reported them lost.

I think their first and easiest point of action is their physical and mental healthcare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

We don't know if race was a factor when Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa were choosing victims.

"everyone" seemed to be sure with the massage parlor one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, we do. He already has a conviction for an unprovoked assault on a white classmate in 2018. The victim is often described as a 'bully' in news reports, but this appears to only be on the basis of Alissa claiming the victim racially abused him, something which has never been shown to be true.
    A report from a police officer included in the case file says Alissa "got up in (a) classroom, walked over to (the) victim & 'cold-cocked' him in the head." Alissa "got on top of (the victim) & punched him in (the) head several more times," the report says, adding that the victim "had bruising, swelling & cuts to (the) head, as well as pain." "No witnesses could see or hear any reason" for the attack, and Alissa said the victim "had made fun of him & called him racial names weeks earlier," the officer wrote.

We also know that he was convinced someone was hacking his phone and that he was convinced this was at least partially due to racism.

So this guy who believes he is the victim of racism, and has already attacked a white person in response, walks into a shop in a US city and only manages to find white people to shoot by pure chance? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The usual hypocrisy from this tool. A bad day?

ExMnY53UYAwKx9a?format=jpg&name=large
    nghs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ExMnY53UYAwKx9a?format=jpg&name=large
    nghs

I'm convinced that woman is trolling at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

No we wouldnt, many european countries allow gun ownership and do not have these issues. The swiss dont have these problems, the czechs dont have this problem.

ALL modern democracies that I know of permit gun ownership among their citizenry. If there is a democracy anywhere in the world that has an outright ban on their citizens owning firearms, I do not know of it. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

But most democracies also have strict controls on how and when people may legally use guns. Including Switzerland. In fact, especially Switzerland. How do you think the NRA would react if you tried to have Swiss like controls on guns in the USA?

Do you even know what restrictions the Swiss impose on their citizens regarding gun use? Do you really think it's a case of "Every adult Swiss has an automatic weapon in their basement; they're just like us in the US!"?

They're really not.

America's main problem is the two little words "and bear" in the 2nd Amendment to their Constitution. The right of just about any dip**** to walk around tooled up with a loaded weapon and with considerable latitude to use it in their own self defence, real or imagined, is what differentiates America from the rest of the Free World.

It's called American Exceptionalism. And in this case, long may it remain exceptional!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

silverharp wrote: »
    "everyone" seemed to be sure with the massage parlor one

I mean, it's not like that guy drove to 3 unique Asian businesses or anything...

I'll absolutely acknowledge that every gun owner isn't responsible with their firearms but the vast vast majority are. I've already said in this thread that I don't believe everyone should have access to a gun.

Speaking personally, I hate seeing mass shootings or any kind of shootings for two reasons. Firstly, I don't like seeing people being killed, and also because I know I'll take heat because I'm a gun owner. Even though I'm responsible with my firearm, I'm looked upon as some sort of criminal or deviant for owning a gun. Funny though, most people who like a drink don't take any heat when a drunk driver ploughs into a crowd or bus and wipes out a load of people.

KKlHwcE.jpg

Look I get where your coming from but your drink analogy and the cartoon fall short in that sticks, ropes, beers and cars (to a lesser extent knives but that’s a different type of issue) are not designed to kill or maim whereas that’s what guns are for. I’ve seen several people mention car accidents and making an argument of why aren’t people talking of banning them but that falls down as people that kill using cars are using them for a thing they were not designed for whereas shooting someone is using a gun exactly they way it was meant to be used.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm convinced that woman is trolling at this stage.

Did you guys miss what happened last week and the police officers comments in the press conference after the attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I mean, it's not like that guy drove to 3 unique Asian businesses or anything...

He could've disliked sex workers in that case, who can be of any race or gender. The FBI have said it wasn't race related, yet you want to continue to believe it was?

Sand wrote: »
    The mainstream media in the US has a lot to answer for. They have whipped up a hateful narrative against white people in the US. The shooter apparently had a chip on his shoulder about 'racism'. US media has normalized this sort of hatred. And the results are clear.

The most popular cable news network in the US is Fox. Do you think it has whipped up a hateful narrative against white people?

The last President, who they championed (and still do) implored police to get tough on people on BLM protests last year.

By all means, decry media narratives but don't try to pass this off as something which is just happening (if it even is) when for so long people with this view patently didn't give a toss when others were disenfranchised. It all smacks of the 'All Lives Matter' pleas which only appeared when people became concerned that black lives were suddenly getting attention.

He could've disliked sex workers in that case, who can be of any race or gender. The FBI have said it wasn't race related, yet you want to continue to believe it was?

His mother said she doesn't believe it had anything to do with sex addiction and yet you want to continue to believe it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

maybe the white evangelical happy ending salons were on a religious retreat that day? :rolleyes:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

His mother said she doesn't believe it had anything to do with sex addiction and yet you want to continue to believe it was...

When did I say it was a result of sex addiction. And how would his mother know regardless. A bizarre point. The FBI have said it wasn't race related, yet many still say it was. Do you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Another name incident of far right white nationalist terror in the space of a week. can we have a conversation on it now or will we stay in denial like so many on boards were with the atlanta shooting?

this aged poorly didn't it ,

When did I say it was a result of sex addiction. And how would his mother know regardless. A bizarre point. The FBI have said it wasn't race related, yet many still say it was. Do you?

Ok cool. So we're back to taking the FBI's word on things? Good to know. It seems many conservatives lost faith in them when they said that white supremacy is the focus of most concern in America at this point.

What I think is that there needs to be significant changes in how America views and tolerates gun ownership. I don't know definitively what was going through the mind of the guy last week, I don't know what was going through the mind of the guy this week either. What I do know is there are probably some guys somewhere right now who are thinking about doing something next week, and there only barriers to doing so are their own morals and thought process. Access to weapons is not something that will influence whether they do an attack or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Must be a white American, sure he was taken alive!

and this one too

• Advertisement

Ok cool. So we're back to taking the FBI's word on things? Good to know. It seems many conservatives lost faith in them when they said that white supremacy is the focus of most concern in America at this point.

I'm not a conservative. And I'd agree with your last statement. So, do you accept it wasn't race related or not? You didn't answer the question.

There is evidently a double standard in the American media when it comes to these shootings. I have yet to see any left-wing outlet (that I'm aware of) pose the question if all the anti-white sentiment that these organisations peddle was responsible for this attack, and suggest that it was somehow race related, like what happened after the shooting last week.
    What I think is that there needs to be significant changes in how America views and tolerates gun ownership. I don't know definitively what was going through the mind of the guy last week, I don't know what was going through the mind of the guy this week either. What I do know is there are probably some guys somewhere right now who are thinking about doing something next week, and there only barriers to doing so are their own morals and thought process. Access to weapons is not something that will influence whether they do an attack or not.

I think it has a huge influence.

Advertisement