Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the USA - 10 killed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

His mother said she doesn't believe it had anything to do with sex addiction and yet you want to continue to believe it was...
    He himself claims it was, according to police.
    It seems strange to me that a mother would know much about her son's sex life.

Do you have source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

If you removed cars from the roads, the stats for vehicular deaths would look better also.

How many mass shootings are by black people vs white? Why is that?

327 people murdered in 2020 Detroit alone the vast and overwhelming majority were black men killed by black men

https://eu.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2021/01/06/detroit-homicides-shootings-2020/6563259002/

does it matter to you that those killings are in ones and twos ?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/12/31/22208002/chicago-murders-2020-skyrocket-crime-violence-cpd-homicides

506 in Chicago 2020,

not even the largest city's in the us by some distance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

biko wrote: »
    We don't know if race was a factor when Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa were choosing victims.

Well Boulder is almost 90% white

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Did you guys miss what happened last week and the police officers comments in the press conference after the attack?

I'm surprised you listened to the police , you've been on every tread on Boards saying that they should be disbanded . A policeman gave his life at the shooting and how many more would have been killed if the police didn't turn up. You'd probably send a social worker to stop the mass killing

Have you noticed that no-one have brought up Columbine, Colorado, yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

salmocab wrote: »
    Look I get where your coming from but your drink analogy and the cartoon fall short in that sticks, ropes, beers and cars (to a lesser extent knives but that’s a different type of issue) are not designed to kill or maim whereas that’s what guns are for. I’ve seen several people mention car accidents and making an argument of why aren’t people talking of banning them but that falls down as people that kill using cars are using them for a thing they were not designed for whereas shooting someone is using a gun exactly they way it was meant to be used.

Also, people have to get driver licenses, and cars are registered etc. The irony of anti-gun control people bringing up cars, is that we do have systems to manage who does and doesn't get to drive and we track car ownership, something anti-gun control types are against for guns for some reason.

Its pretty clear that gun control works, as the US is the only country in the world that has this issues. Other countries have lots of guns, but have gun control and do not have this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm surprised you listened to the police , you've been on every tread on Boards saying that they should be disbanded . A policeman gave his life at the shooting and how many more would have been killed if the police didn't turn up. You'd probably send a social worker to stop the mass killing

Please quote a single post of mine where I have done so.

Your post does in a few short words show your incapacity to understand the argument about best using public funds.

But seeing as you brought it up, which do you think would have been better going dealing with this incident?
    A police officer in Salt Lake City shot a 13-year-old boy with an autism spectrum disorder on Friday after his mother called 911 seeking help for her son, who was experiencing a mental health crisis.

Bet his mother wishes she had access to someone for support other than an armed police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Have you noticed that no-one have brought up Columbine, Colorado, yet?

What point are you making here?

He himself claims it was, according to police.
    It seems strange to me that a mother would know much about her son's sex life.

Do you have source?

Saw a video of her somewhere on Twitter late last week. Can't find it now.

Sure sure

• Advertisement

What point are you making here?
    It was one of the first major mass shooting in US and it happened an hour's drive from Boulder. It was on the news for a very long time but perhaps many in this thread weren't even born then.

I'm not a conservative. And I'd agree with your last statement. So, do you accept it wasn't race related or not? You didn't answer the question.

There is evidently a double standard in the American media when it comes to these shootings. I have yet to see any left-wing outlet (that I'm aware of) pose the question if all the anti-white sentiment that these organisations peddle was responsible for this attack, and suggest that it was somehow race related, like what happened after the shooting last week.

I think it has a huge influence.

Not sure I fully accept that at this point. Suggestions that it was have solely come from the police as far as I am aware and I think as we saw in the initial press conference, they might not necessarily have been entirely objective in doing so.

All last year saw increases in attacks on Asian people throughout the US. It could have been just a sex thing, it could have been just a racial thing. It could have been a combination of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Not sure I fully accept that at this point. Suggestions that it was have solely come from the police as far as I am aware and I think as we saw in the initial press conference, they might not necessarily have been entirely objective in doing so.

All last year saw increases in attacks on Asian people throughout the US. It could have been just a sex thing, it could have been just a racial thing. It could have been a combination of both.

Ok fair enough. Thankyou for answering. I do not think it was race related based on what is known so far, however, it is still early in the investigation.

It was one of the first major mass shooting in US and it happened an hour's drive from Boulder. It was on the news for a very long time but perhaps many in this thread weren't even born then.

It has been discussed in the media in relation to this attack.

This latest attacker was born just 3 days before it happened. That shows how long such attacks have been an issue in the US and how they are now viewed as being relatively commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

and this one too

Is he not white? Is he not American?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭newhouse87

His mother said she doesn't believe it had anything to do with sex addiction and yet you want to continue to believe it was...

If the FBI said it was a racist attack and his mother said it wasn't, think we all know who you would believe then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Are Middle Eastern not Caucasian?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wonder if the tweirdos who were screaming about white men when this broke are going to follow their logic to its conclusion and bring the topic of race into all gun killings in the US? Cos its not whitey who's going to come out of that badly.

Probably not

newhouse87 wrote: »
    If the FBI said it was racist attcak and his mother said it wasn't, think we all know who you would believe then.

And no doubt you guys would be talking about the 'woke' FBI or media or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭newhouse87

And no doubt you guys would be talking about the 'woke' FBI or media or something.

Nope I'm not hypocritical like you guys.

• Advertisement

It has been discussed in the media in relation to this attack.

This latest attacker was born just 3 days before it happened. That shows how long such attacks have been an issue in the US and how they are now viewed as being relatively commonplace.

Born 3 days before columbine in Syria

of course that would have nothing to do with anything now would it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is he not white? Is he not American?

I ll leave you do the reading and interpret the facts to the best of your ability

Born 3 days before columbine in Syria

of course that would have nothing to do with anything now would it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you're talking about American actions in the middle east and how they may have influenced how people from that region view them, then maybe you are on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

SeaFields wrote: »
    Jesus that YouTube video.... Shouts into the phone he is using to live stream people are down and they need 911. If only he had a phone to call 911....oh wait.

As the great war photographer Robert Capa once said: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough"

That one is easily found. There is another one attributed to him, which I couldn't find with a perfunctory search, which goes something like: "You can't focus with tears in your eyes. We can't help feeling involved but we have to steel ourselves. Our job is to record it all for history."

I never said war photographers weren't weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

No that’s all just excuses why people think they need guns. It’s paranoid nonsense.

What's paranoid about it?
    The US system is the most successful democracy in history and the model for modern democracies around the world.
    It has only been in existence since the 18th century.
    However it is made up of human beings and the default political system throughout history has been monarchy and tyranny and serfdom and slavery.
    There's no reason why the ambition and greed of powerful wealthy individuals and fanatical mobs won't endanger this delicate democratic system.
    The founding fathers of the US knew this and this is why the 2A was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I ll leave you do the reading and interpret the facts to the best of your ability

Well I dont see any evidence that he is not an American citizen or that he is not white, do you have any?

The US system is the most successful democracy in history and the model for modern democracies around the world.
    However it is made up of human beings and the default political system throughout history has been monarchy and tyranny and serfdom and slavery.

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

What's this assertion based on?
    There's no reason why the ambition and greed of powerful wealthy individuals and fanatical mobs won't endanger this delicate democratic system.

You won't be able to outfight the US military. It is too powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

banie01 wrote: »
    Most of the guns in Mexico are imported illegally.
    Funnily enough the majority of them from the US, cash and guns flow south for drugs.

Well, no. The details behind this are a little different, and require two extremely large deviations.

The first is that the figure that 'most cartel guns are American' comes from the US came from a statement that 90% of guns submitted to the US for source verification were American. It was a self-fulfilling figure, as for obvious reasons Mexico wouldn't be asking the US government to trace guns made in Europe or Asia. It seems to be about a 50-50 split US/Non-US.

The second was that of the American guns, most were legally exported from the US, normally to Central and South American militaries, which are almost all US-armed. They went missing down there, then were imported North across Mexico's southern border.
    yes your AR16 is going to do great against trained, professional soldiers with their F16's, high precision bombs, drones, tanks, nuclear arsenal and the like.

Seems to have done well enough in Afghanistan which after nearly two decades as far as I know the US still hasn't won, and likely the similar philosophy in Vietnam. Though I don't personally ascribe much emphasis to the 'tyrannical government' argument compared to other more realistic uses, the idea is not without merit.

Advertisement