Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Well if someone does hear something, if they wouldn't mind actually taking a moment of their time to tell everyone, that would be great.

My inside sources are saying their might be some sort of announcement later, will let you know as soon as it drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Mick Dawson says Cullen was offered a two year deal but only agreed to a one year deal "for personal reasons."

Sounds like he may be finished after next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Clegg wrote: »
    Mick Dawson says Cullen was offered a two year deal but only agreed to a one year deal "for personal reasons."

Nah I think he is taking it year by year due to a family related health issue.

Are you sure it wasn't "per$onal rea$on$"?

In all seriousness I wouldn't blame him taking a one year deal, he's been phenomenal in his role and hasn't really taken a break since he came back to Leinster in '07 considering he went straight in as our forwards coach post retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's a rolling one year deal. Nothing that unusual there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's a rolling one year deal. Nothing that unusual there.

There are obviously good reasons for it, but the head coach being on a one year deal with everyone else on two is a little unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Maybe money is tight this year and hopefully next year post covid he will be able to get a better package.
    Maybe he wants to take a year or two in south of France, nobody would begrudge him.

Hugely positive news - one of the best coaching tickets in Europe to my mind. Not concerned about Leo, will see what next year brings on that front.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Maybe money is tight this year and hopefully next year post covid he will be able to get a better package.
    Maybe he wants to take a year or two in south of France, nobody would begrudge him.

these are not the reasons. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Provence Rugby are on a 7 game losing streak and not short of cash. Could be a handy number.

• Advertisement

Coaching team resigned.....on the Leinster website

Including Lancaster
    MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    fixed that for you

Almost had a heart attack given other surprising news today

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There are obviously good reasons for it, but the head coach being on a one year deal with everyone else on two is a little unusual.

Not necessarily. Two years is the standard period Leinster went for clearly and Leo just opted for one. It would be poor form and bad optics to reduce the contract duration for the rest due to Leo's personal preference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not necessarily. Two years is the standard period Leinster went for clearly and Leo just opted for one. It would be poor form and bad optics to reduce the contract duration for the rest due to Leo's personal preference.

Of course it would. Its still fairly unusual and if Leo leaves after next season then unless Lancaster steps up it will cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's hard to understand the Cian Kelleher rumors. He's in a good place with Leinster right now. He's playing well and I think he could push on for a place in the 1st 23. I assume the money would probably be a factor? It's a pity, if true. He's been very good lately!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »
    It's hard to understand the Cian Kelleher rumors. He's in a good place with Leinster right now. He's playing well and I think he could push on for a place in the 1st 23. I assume the money would probably be a factor? It's a pity, if true. He's been very good lately!

with larmour, keenan, d kearney, lowe, as first choice back 3 players, plus ROLs utility status.. its hard to see a way for him into a 1st 23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I like Kelliher but he’s not going to push into the strongest 23. There are too many established quality player ahead and too many young guns behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

What are the rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think against the Ospreys I would go with:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Alexis Soroka
    9. Paddy Patterson
    10. Tim Corkery
    11. Andrew Smith
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. David Kearney
    15. Ciarán Frawley

16. James Tracy
    17. Marcus Hanan
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Hugh O'Sullivan
    22. Karl Martin
    23. Max O'Reilly

I suppose start Harry Byrne if he's fit (with Corkery dropping to the bench) but I thought he was limping a bit against Zebre. You want him fully fit for the Final.

If Keenan isn't available and JOB's still out do you start O'Reilly at fullback against Munster? Would he be ready? - or would it be better to have Frawley at 15? I suppose these are the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What are the rumours?

He’s off to trail finders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think against the Ospreys I would go with:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Alexis Soroka
    9. Paddy Patterson
    10. Tim Corkery
    11. Andrew Smith
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. David Kearney
    15. Ciarán Frawley

16. James Tracy
    17. Marcus Hanan
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Hugh O'Sullivan
    22. Karl Martin
    23. Max O'Reilly

I suppose start Harry Byrne if he's fit (with Corkery dropping to the bench) but I thought he was limping a bit against Zebre. You want him fully fit for the Final.

If Keenan isn't available and JOB's still out do you start O'Reilly at fullback against Munster? Would he be ready? - or would it be better to have Frawley at 15? I suppose these are the questions.

Ah Rich if we're fielding Munster players i wouldn't mind having a look at De Allende haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who's Karl Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Who's Karl Martin

From Boyne. Played 3 years irish clubs and 18s and been playing 20s belvo while an u18

hopefully will go into academy next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Richie would pick the odd foetus if he had the chance.

Richie would pick the odd Irish foetus if he had the chance.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Bryan Byrne has signed a contract extension for Bristol. Fair play to him.

Sangre wrote: »
    Bryan Byrne has signed a contract extension for Bristol. Fair play to him.

He's really seized his chance over there, delighted it's worked out for him.

Great to see how well he is doing over there. It was a bit of Hail Mary shot for him and he's established himself as the first choice hooker for the premiership leaders and scored in important European fixtures.

I wonder how it will work out for him come next contract signing.

He'd be nearly 29 or 30 depending on his contract length with Bristol so still a decent age profile. Would some of the provinces come knocking again? Leinster would hopefully have 3 solid options in Kelleher, Sheehan and Tracy in that order but any on of the other 3 would have first choice slot up for grabs.

Either way, that's down the lines issue. I love the way Bristol play and I'd love to see Bryan with a winners medal around his neck for his efforts

Team is up. Surprising calls in there but needs must.

Ewwb3IiWYAE8GZw?format=jpg&name=large

Ewwb3IiWYAE8GZw?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

With this match being the very definition of a dead rubber, I would have liked to see some of the more essential backs (ie we desperately need them next week) to have been rested.

It will be incredibly annoying to lose anyone else in this nothing game.

Advertisement