Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

With this match being the very definition of a dead rubber, I would have liked to see some of the more essential backs (ie we desperately need them next week) to have been rested.

It will be incredibly annoying to lose anyone else in this nothing game.

there are no other players available though so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

With this match being the very definition of a dead rubber, I would have liked to see some of the more essential backs (ie we desperately need them next week) to have been rested.

It will be incredibly annoying to lose anyone else in this nothing game.

I'm sure Leo would bite the hand off whoever could offer a chance to rest players.

But we still need to field a team and international call ups and injuries mean we have no fit backs.

The only fit/available backs in either the academy or senior squad not selected is..... Niall Comerford and Cormac Foley

I'm sure Leo would bite the hand off whoever could offer a chance to rest players.

But we still need to field a team and international call ups and injuries mean we have no fit backs.

The only fit/available backs in either the academy or senior squad not selected is..... Niall Comerford and Cormac Foley

afaik Comerford is injured at the minute too

bayern wrote: »
    afaik Comerford is injured at the minute too

Haha of course he is.

Even in a dead rubber I wouldn't fancy shoehorning Foley in at 12 or something either even with his limited experience there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wonder will we see Harry Byrne and maybe Frawley start against Munster? I can't see Sexton playing next week and Ross Byrne has barely played any rugby in months now. We'll be lucky to Henshaw back for Munster too.

Season is turning into a bit of a mess.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    I wonder will we see Harry Byrne and maybe Frawley start against Munster? I can't see Sexton playing next week and Ross Byrne has barely played any rugby in months now. We'll be lucky to Henshaw back for Munster too.

Ross played a very good 80 minutes against Ulster 12 days ago.

I'd be pleased but surprised if Harry started against Munster,

Ross likely to start 10 and Harry 22

All thanks to the Rainbow cup :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it wasn’t Munster next week I don’t think I’d care too much about winning the league this year. I wouldn’t normally say that but it’s been an odd 12 months and everything has suffered. However it would be poxy to give them a win at our direct expense. That said I’m much more interested in Europe than next week and if it were a choice (which I know it’s not really) I’d take a win in two weeks time over next week.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,222 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All thanks to the Rainbow cup :rolleyes:

harry byrne, and all the other young leinster players, will be better served long term by getting game time against the 2 bok teams (possibly more) than they would with another half of a dreadfully one sided pro 14 season

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
    harry byrne, and all the other young leinster players, will be better served long term by getting game time against the 2 bok teams (possibly more) than they would with another half of a dreadfully one sided pro 14 season

This.

I'm looking forward to the tournament. Perhaps the provinces can have meaningful opponents. The last thing we want to watch are more training sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Congrats to Dev! Great achievement! I hope he gets another year. He will bring much needed leadership to the side.
    The side has really been strapped lately with injury. It's concerning as to how everything will fit together over the next couple of months.
    A positive fact is the amount of time M.O.R and Osborne are getting. It will do wonders for them going forward. I wonder if Cian Kelleher is injured or has he been dropped? It's probably likely that he is leaving if he was dropped and not injured.
    I wonder if Leo will try to find an niq back for next season? Adam Byrne is at the point of being released, imo. If Kelleher moves on, there's only Sylvester to promote and academy lads to fill in. Anyhow, the final match of a strange season. It's been some year and I think the team has done well during the 6nations to field the teams that we've seen.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Congrats to Dev! Great achievement! I hope he gets another year. He will bring much needed leadership to the side.
    The side has really been strapped lately with injury. It's concerning as to how everything will fit together over the next couple of months.
    A positive fact is the amount of time M.O.R and Osborne are getting. It will do wonders for them going forward. I wonder if Cian Kelleher is injured or has he been dropped? It's probably likely that he is leaving if he was dropped and not injured.
    I wonder if Leo will try to find an niq back for next season? Adam Byrne is at the point of being released, imo. If Kelleher moves on, there's only Sylvester to promote and academy lads to fill in. Anyhow, the final match of a strange season. It's been some year and I think the team has done well during the 6nations to field the teams that we've seen.

Kelleher is injured per the update this week.

Definitely no point getting a NIQ next season in the back 3.

Squad depth for next year would look like

11: Lowe, Dave
    14: Larmour, TOB
    15: Keenan, Jimmy

Then there's players like ROL who can step up. O'Reilly obviously an option as is smith. Both still academy next season.

O'Sullivan is a year 3 academy who will likely get released.

Silvester I could see getting a one year dev deal to see how he gets on.

Adam Byrne I think is worth a 1 year extension to see if he can come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Adam Byrne is a hard one to call, he hasn't played since December 2019, and has a really awful history of injuries, starting from when he was in the academy through to the injury in 2017 and then this.

He's great when he can stay fit, but I'm not sure how reliable that can be going forward.

Adam Byrne is a hard one to call, he hasn't played since December 2019, and has a really awful history of injuries, starting from when he was in the academy through to the injury in 2017 and then this.

He's great when he can stay fit, but I'm not sure how reliable that can be going forward.

If he wants to keep playing then Leinster hold the cards here.

No chance a new club will sign him given he's over a year out of the game and the current state everyone is in financially.

I could see them offering Byrne a 1 year at a significantly reduced rate.

But then again they might not. As harsh as it is money is tight and paying an injured player is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah his confidence and sharpness would take a while to get back up to speed. No issue with fitness if he can stay injury free tho, the lad is a freak. Hopefully he has a bit of patience and see how things unfold, but you feel another leg injury and he'll probably retire from the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If he wants to keep playing then Leinster hold the cards here.

No chance a new club will sign him given he's over a year out of the game and the current state everyone is in financially.

I could see them offering Byrne a 1 year at a significantly reduced rate.

But then again they might not. As harsh as it is money is tight and paying an injured player is expensive

Although they will also be the most in the know of how is body is anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

With JGP & Lowe out of the Ireland team that will give them a well earned rest. Conan at 8 is a surprise inclusion but he hasn't played massive minutes so should be back in contention for games.

Connors hopefully back fit as well and good to see JGP getting a run which he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sebdavis wrote: »
    Connors hopefully back fit as well and good to see JGP getting a run which he deserves

Connors came down awkwardly on his knee at the end of training yesterday. Gone for an assessment. Sounds like he's gonna miss a bit more than just this weekend.

I can see Penny getting the start next week.

Doris is supposedly back in action this month going by Lancaster's comments this week so we might see well see Conan feature on the basis that Doris could be involved against Toulon.

Connors did he his mcl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connors did he his mcl

That's a season ender so.

Awful shame as Connors was in the form of his life. Huge opportunity for Penny now though. Been in fine form himself recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can we not give grants to Michaels etc or something to start raising terminator-esque players with robotic legs to try and cut out the amount of long term knee/ankle injuries we've had the past couple of seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Connors did he his mcl

Is this a question or a statement? He done his ACL before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Is this a question or a statement? He done his ACL before

The lack of a question mark would suggest a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭hold my beer

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The lack of a question mark would suggest a statement

Are you finished? Your lack of fullstop has me confused :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Although I get why Fardy has been made captain with such a mish-mash of a team, as this is a dead rubber I would have like to have seen it given to one of the players around next season e.g. DK or Molony.

Sangre wrote: »
    Although I get why Fardy has been made captain with such a mish-mash of a team, as this is a dead rubber I would have like to have seen it given to one of the players around next season e.g. DK or Molony.

Bit of an arbitrary metric for selecting captaincy.

Isa captained Leinster despite the fact he was leaving.

Fardy is part of the leadership group of Leinster and has obvious respect from his team mates.

Molony and Murphy are also in the leadership group and presumably will be taking over captaincy duties if required. Molony has featured as captain before but not in recent years.

Dave has never featured as captain in any shape of form at Leinster. Not sure why they would start now.

Its the opposite of arbitrary. I want other players who are available next year to gain experience of being captain.

Scott Fardy is not club captain so the comparison to Isa isn't relevant.

Its the opposite of arbitrary. I want other players who are available next year to gain experience of being captain.

Scott Fardy is not club captain so the comparison to Isa isn't relevant.

I had a response typed out but it's actually not worth it :pac:

No need to snippy when someone calls you out for a pointless statement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How often have you seen a winger made captain? If you think about it for a while, you might see there is a reason for that.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    How often have you seen a winger made captain? If you think about it for a while, you might see there is a reason for that.

Isa Nacewa.

Advertisement