Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Isa Nacewa was never Irish qualified. He is in a different category to Stander. And he really did give absolutely everything to Leinster.

Stander is different. I feel he owed at least 2 or 3 more years of service to the Union that gave him everything, but he's honouring his contract fully and I respect his right to live his life as he pleases.

As I've always said, having never been a fan of naturalisation in any sport, its far preferable to have native Irish players or those with Irish parentage, rather than those qualified by residency on the national team. But the whole world is playing with adopted players, so we will do the same until it fizzles out, which I am glad it will.

Absolute nonsense. Why does this “owing something” / loyalty stuff only ever seem to work one way.

CJ owes us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bayern wrote: »
    Yep so Cian Kelleher rumoured to be leaving for Ealing.

Personally thought he never should have left Connacht, he was going really well there and getting first team rugby. Was always going to struggle to get into the team when the internationals were fit, but he obviously backed himself which is fair enough.

Ealing would be a massive step down though even from pro14 rubbers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ealing!? Yikes, I would have thought given his level of involvement this season that he'd have had more options. He has definitely improved since he left us first but it was a strange move at the time given our depth in the back 3. He was always going to struggle to start meaningful games. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Big money behind Ealing and I guess being a 27 year old squad winger doesn't get you a big offer from Leinster especially this season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

bayern wrote: »
    Big money behind Ealing and I guess being a 27 year old squad winger doesn't get you a big offer from Leinster especially this season.

There is indeed - The problem for Ealing though is that the current plan in England is for Saracens to win the league and go back up to the Premiership, pulling the ladder up behind them with no more promotion/relegation in future.

If that happens , that money will exit stage left in a few months.

Having said that , Saracens have already dropped a game meaning that the Ealing vs. Saracens game could be an epic winner takes all scenario given the severely compressed nature of the league this season.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    There is indeed - The problem for Ealing though is that the current plan in England is for Saracens to win the league and go back up to the Premiership, pulling the ladder up behind them with no more promotion/relegation in future.

Having said that , Saracens have already dropped a game meaning that the Ealing vs. Saracens game could be an epic winner takes all scenario given the severely compressed nature of the league this season.

No the plan is to get sarries AND Ealing up, due to their money.

The difference between a 13 and 14 team league is a couple of weeks, and 13 team league leaves a team fallow every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Champions Cup QF is six days after the Pro 14 fina. Going to be very hard to juggle the two games especially with the sore bodies post Six Nations and our overall lack of available backs.

Clegg wrote: »
    Champions Cup QF is six days after the Pro 14 fina. Going to be very hard to juggle the two games especially with the sore bodies post Six Nations and our overall lack of available backs.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1371838678046285830?s=09

Jaysus.. prioritising Europe has to come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1371838678046285830?s=09

The scheduling is mental, and if the rainbow cup goes ahead next month as was originally scheduled players are barely going to get a break at all.

Our depth is really being stretched this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

5.30 on a Friday, what the ever loving jaysus is that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Ealing has a multi million behind them. He has already gone after the RFU because he wasn't getting his way. They will get him up and his money then dump everyone else

Any word on Doris's availability? Would be huge if we had him back for the final or the QF. I know he's back training but it doesn't appear as if he's taking contact yet. The latest injury update still had him down as unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Any word on Doris's availability? Would be huge if we had him back for the final or the QF. I know he's back training but it doesn't appear as if he's taking contact yet. The latest injury update still had him down as unavailable.

Or Max Deegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Should be able to manage the Pro14 final handy enough with our B team anyway....

Or Max Deegan?

out for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

dub_skav wrote: »
    5.30 on a Friday, what the ever loving jaysus is that all about?

Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

.ak wrote: »
    Should be able to manage the Pro14 final handy enough with our B team anyway....

Our B squad against our C squad. Be grand.

It'll be a mix and match selection for the final. Kelleher and Porter will probably start and with Furlong on the bench. Healy will be rested. Ryan is out but Baird will be back in. Connors is probably out too but VDF is a more than able replacement.

Backs are harder to reconcile. I guess Sexton and JGP will probably miss out and probably Keenan too. Would hope we have Henshaw available tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Really devalues the pro 14 if 2nd team out against Munster only missing 1 or 2. Not fair on the players or the fans. Not a level playing field.

Lancaster, McBryde and Contepomi have all signed two year contract extensions.

More interestingly, Cullen has only signed a one year extension to expire at the end of the 21/22 season.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen-leinster-rugby-coaching-team-contracts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The entire coaching team have signed new contracts according to Murray Kinsella, 1 year for Cullen (said this was an extension, I don't know when his contract expires) and 2 years for everyone else including Lancaster. I would see that as very good news.

Coaching team resigned.....on the Leinster website

Including Lancaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

sebdavis wrote: »
    Coaching team re-signed.....on the Leinster website

Including Lancaster

fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Great news.

Leinster Rugby and the IRFU have this evening confirmed a one-year contract extension for Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen.

The news was formally announced by Leinster Rugby at an exclusive online Q&A event with Cullen for Official Members.

Cullen, who won 221 caps for Leinster and was captain of three Heineken Cup-winning squads, was appointed Head Coach at the start of the 2015/16 season and will now lead the province for a further season until the end of the 2021/22 season.

Leinster Rugby CEO Mick Dawson also confirmed that Stuart Lancaster, Felipe Contepomi and Robin McBryde have also been retained by Leinster Rugby for a further two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I heard the Leinster coaching staff got extensions. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

No they actually resigned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No word yet

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well if someone does hear something, if they wouldn't mind actually taking a moment of their time to tell everyone, that would be great.

• Advertisement

Great news for Leinster. Excellent coaching team and one of the best in the World, if not the best in the World. Lovely to see Lancaster staying with Leinster after they took what many believed was a huge risk.

Onwards and upwards for the club

Advertisement