Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jeez, be tough on Molony! I can see the benifits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

To give the lads some credit there is a bit of irreverent humour in here and I think the 3 of them come across well.

This is the type of behind the scenes stuff I've been wanting for years. Just lads having the craic amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Biggest insight was how good at golf these guys are! Hugo Keenan playing off 3 and JVDF off 5!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think they get quite a lot of free time all things considered! You can only train so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They have a lot of spare time outside of training, golf seems to be a favourite and is also exercise as long as they dont get a buggie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah tis common enough among elite sportsmen with ball to hand coordination, Paul o connell as well as top class swimmer is another one with a v low handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Will Connors is doing a PHD in his spare time as well. These lads are freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connors starting also signals a 6-2 split. VDF had huge impact off the bench in both La Rochelle games. There's no way we'll leave him and Conan out of the 23.

The big choice is between Molony and Jenkins to start as Ryan seems nailed on to bench. You get more lineout solidity with the former and a greater physical presence with the latter.

I'd go with Jenkins, but then that means Baird will be calling the lineout. He has made great strides in that aspect of his game this season, but he's still a rookie at calling and this will be the biggest game of his career as a caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Madeoface

Yeah, I'd probably go Molony but Jenkins has been very good all season. Happy with either, good position to be in.

If he is leaving (Jenkins) he's done himself no harm with his showing this year. Not sure what happened with his season in Munster but he's been solid up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't get the logic behind "Ryan impact off the bench". He generally performs at a fairly constant level throughout a game, which is one of his biggest strengths. I don't think you'd get anything more out of him by bringing him off the bench, I'd say it would be a net negative given what you lose in the time he is sitting on the bench. He's a guy you want on the pitch for the full game, choosing to limit his time is illogical.

Not all players can come off the bench and get to the pitch of the game and impose themselves. Ryan seems to me to be the kind of player who thinks and feels his way through a game (being captain you need to be able to think clearly when making a decision or talking to the ref). An impact player should bring physical qualities, extra pace or power.

Neinaber may introduce the SA Bomb Squad approach but there are certain players that they didn't consider for the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Totally agree. Never thought he was an impact player. The only way I'd choose to bench him is if he can't play more than 50 minutes due to fitness.

Jenkins has some impact and Moloney has a little. But they're second rows. If they had big impact, they should start. It's the nature of the position to be fit to keep going at a steady state. Doesn't really lend itself to impact.

McCarthy is exceptional and he is a great impact second row so you would just start him.

You get impact from other positions. In second row you just want great steady work rate to pick up where the starter left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Will Connors set for starting role as Leo Cullen shuffles Leinster pack for Toulouse showdown

Cian Tracey
    May 23 2024 09:19 PM

Will Connors is expected to get the nod to start for Leinster in Saturday’s Champions Cup final against Toulouse at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (2.45).

Despite having been left out of the match-day 23 for the semi-final win over Northampton, Leinster head coach Leo Cullen is set to recall Connors at openside in place of Josh van der Flier, who may have to make do with a place as one of six forwards on the bench.

Connors has only featured twice in this season’s Champions Cup, but given how well he played in both La Rochelle wins, Cullen may decide to again call upon the Kildare native for his chop-tackling prowess against another big French pack.

Fresh after returning from respective injuries last weekend, Ireland pair Hugo Keenan and James Ryan are set to be included for the trip to London, as Leinster bid to win a fifth European title.

Keenan is in line to start at full-back, while Ryan may be part of a strong Leinster bench.

Jordan Larmour is set to see off stiff competition for his place on the right wing from the fit-again Jimmy O’Brien, who is in danger of missing out entirely, if Cullen decides to go with a 6/2 split on the replacements’ bench.

It would be a major surprise to see Garry Ringrose included as he continues to struggle with a shoulder injury, which means 22-year-old Jamie Osborne is likely to continue in midfield alongside Robbie Henshaw, with Jamison Gibson-Park and Ross Byrne linking up at half-back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Barring any late mishaps, the Leinster pack will have a familiar look to it, with Caelan Doris in line to continue as skipper, should regular co-captain Ryan find himself among the replacements.

If such a scenario arises, Jason Jenkins and Ross Molony will battle it out for a spot in the second-row next to Joe McCarthy, with the South African lock favoured to edge a tight call.

Ciarán Frawley’s versatility is set to be called upon from the bench, with Leinster and Toulouse set to officially name their teams at midday today.

Possible Leinster team to play Toulouse: H Keenan; J Larmour, R Henshaw, J Osborne, J Lowe; R Byrne, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; J McCarthy, J Jenkins; R Baird, W Connors, C Doris (capt). Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, M Ala’alatoa, J Ryan, J Conan, L McGrath, C Frawley, J van der Flier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭ersatz

Thrilled for Connors and for Ireland that he's back fully in the mix, and for Leinster Josh coming off the bench is a major threat no matter what's happening at that stage the match. Connors ability to kill that first carrier behind the gainline, and get to Dupont fast, will be a pain inhale hole for Toulouse and help reduce their game to miracles and turnovers. One thing to say about Nienaber's impact is that it's reduced opposition opportunities for turnovers. I haven't been that impressed with Leinster's attack this season but they're even more horrible to play against, and Connors brings more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Is Connors's tackling that much better than van der Flier's tackling that you play the better player overall for only 30 minutes? Especially given going 6-2 probably means you leave the two backs on the bench for most of the game. You can't bring them on because one is such a big downgrade on the starter that he's only a break glass in emergency option and the other can't be used how you might normally because if there's an injury afterwards there's no-one else left to come on.

I was all for it against La Rochelle because stopping their big carriers denied them momentum, and it hadn't become as obvious by that stage that essentially you can't use your sub 9. Also, the first match against La Rochelle wasn't a knock-out affair, so if it backfired it wasn't fatal. Toulouse are a bit more unpredictable. Putting in one big tackle won't necessarily stop their momentum if they're offloading and have players running good angles. Connors would need help, with others coming up fast too to hit the support player or get in the passing channel.

Maybe Foley will be on the bench if it is 6-2. He at least covers wing too, and is probably playing better than McGrath is at scrumhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't like the 6-2 split at all, and I don't think we need it for Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Like any selection, there's an element of risk but I'm happy enough with the 6/2 split. Our best two showings this season have been with this approach including Connors starting.

If things go amiss and we ship an early injury in the backline, it will come back to bite us but that's the risk we take. If it goes according to plan and we're in the game with 20 minutes left, we've a monster pack bench to come on which could be decisive.

My only misgiving is the quality of the two guys who are covering the backs. I can see the entire backline potentially going 80 minutes. The drop off between JGP and McGrath is obvious but I don't see where Frawley potentially improves us in the backline either even with guys tiring. He gets the nod essentially because he can play outhalf although we'd be better served outside of that by JOB (obviously he's not an option in 6/2).

If Jenkins starts as appears to be suggested, I'd imagine we are looking to go all out after their breakdown in terms of disrupting, trapping men in, slowing down etc. The big roll of the dice there is the lineout with Baird calling. He has some exposure to it this season but this is a huge step up and it was notable that our lineout struggled significantly when Molony went off against Northampton (Sheehan went off too but I don't think Kelleher's throws were problematic, generally).

All things considered though, I don't think I'd have selected much differently with the exception of Ryan starting but I get the impression this is more of a SA approach with big performers coming in to arm wrestle the game in the final 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There was a French rugby journalist on one of the42 podcasts this week who covers Toulouse, was asked how you go after this Toulouse team and his answer was you have to make shite of their ruck (I know you could say that about anyone but seemed fairly striking it's the answer he went to immediately). So this selection makes sense in that regard.

I'm very nervous about the 6-2 though. I think an injury that involves a backline reshuffle will basically be a loss of the game, they're too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

As a neutral im looking forward to the game. The best of luck Leinster and i hope ye win.

The core of the Irish team will benefit from winning this game mentally because of the frequent losses in crunch games over the last few years.

I dont think it will be as close as the last few finals where its a one score game at the end, i think there could be 10 points in it.

• Advertisement

Suppose it's true of any team who relies heavily on their excellent 9-10. Same could be said of leinster.

Leinster can attack the ruck when they want to and don't tend to sit off and give quick ball. So thats positive.

It's so frustrating when teams attach the ruck successfully. You feel like you've been mugged. The attack just doesn't work, everyone's under pressure and end up making mistakes. Would be ideal if leinster can slow Toulouse ruck ball

Another angle of attack against leinster is the set piece (but again you could say the same of any good team).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Team

There we have it. The only real options covered by Jenkins, o Connor and Larmour with a 6/2 split and Frawley covering the back line.

Now we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Foley deserved to be on bench, if McGrath has to come on at scrum half we are in trouble.

It's a conservative decision but that was always more likely than promoting Foley to the squad for the final. I expect to see a lot more of Foley next year as no.2 scrum half with mcgrath as no.3.

I'd hope to see a lot more of Gunn too to hopefully take the no.3 and push for no.2 in 2026

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In defense I'd still have McGrath over Foley

We will be but we would also be in just as much trouble with Foley involved. He's nowhere near ready for something like this. His pass is comfortably better than McGrath's at this stage but he is glacially slow at the ruck. He got done for not using it once last weekend at the breakdown and was fortunate not to be done at least one other time.

I can see both Leinster halfbacks playing 80 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Probably be more use on the wing though.

It was never going to happen after not getting games earlier. He should probably have gotten more games earlier though cause mcgrath is a complete bust now.

Sure but injury has really hindered his game time prospects over the last couple of seasons. Hopefully he gets a clean run next year.

With all that said, I think Gunne has the potential to be the Leinster 22 by this time next year with an opportunity (I'm not sure he'll get it though). He has a better pass than McGrath or Foley, is more decisive than Foley and has a fairly decent kicking game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Took the day off work to watch this. Just canceled and will go to work. I can't suffer being a bridesmaid again!

Anyway, best of luck to Leinster and all traveling. Fingers xed.

Advertisement