Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

It will be quite annoying to have performed so well all season, and then potentialy loose two key matches due to massive injury/unavaiability crisis.

What do people think the chances are of there being some relaxing of the rules to allow the internationals back for these matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It will be quite annoying to have performed so well all season, and then potentialy loose two key matches due to massive injury/unavaiability crisis.

What do people think the chances are of there being some relaxing of the rules to allow the internationals back for these matches?

Slim with the HEC games right after. It's been a fairly busy schedule for internationals as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The internationals have spare games as they haven't played in Europe. The issue is playing 4 weekends in a row, Scotland, England, Pro14, Europe. That's my understanding.
    Playing 4 huge games in a row would be a serious ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I just thought that as this could be the last opportunity for some of the lads to win silverware, the team v Munster could possibly contain Cronin: Toner, Fardy and of course Bent. Thoughts?

sebdavis wrote: »
    The internationals have spare games as they haven't played in Europe. The issue is playing 4 weekends in a row, Scotland, England, Pro14, Europe. That's my understanding.
    Playing 4 huge games in a row would be a serious ask.

They also played games earlier in the "season" to finish off last season. So since the resumption they'd have played 2 or 3 of last seasons games, 1 or 2 early Pro14, 2 HEC games, 2 interpros, 2 2020 6Ns games, 3 ANC games and 5 2021 6Ns games. That's 17-19 games with the HEC knock outs and Rainbow Cup to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Standers retirement will give the Munster lads some huge motivation to best us in the final.

I hope we smash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Clegg wrote: »
    Standers retirement will give the Munster lads some huge motivation to best us in the final.

I hope we smash them.

In fairness most finals are someone’s last chance to win something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness most finals are someone’s last chance to win something.

That's one of the more thought provoking posts I've seen recently ha.

I wonder what final in recent years was followed by no players retirements on either side.

The recent Pro14 obviously didn't see Kearney or McFadden play but they lifted the Trophy. Probably cheating a bit

One for the stats nerds for sure!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shalk brits and the beast?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Shalk brits and the beast?

My post was horribly worded so I edited it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Standers retirement will give a Leinster backrow (take your pick) motivation to step into his Ireland jersey.

Obviously Conan is in pole position, but Penny and Deegan will licking their lips.

Stander is obviously entitled to do what he wants and is honouring his contract to the letter, but I can't help thinking its a slightly selfish approach considering the Union here gave him such a massive career, to be ducking out with the potential of these next few peak years wasted, especially in the middle of a World Cup cycle. Still, he has been considerate enough to make sure he's available for Lions selection to face his native land. Good man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stander is obviously entitled to do what he wants and is honouring his contract to the letter, but I can't help thinking its a slightly selfish approach considering the Union here gave him such a massive career, to be ducking out with the potential of these next few peak years wasted, especially in the middle of a World Cup cycle. Still, he has been considerate enough to make sure he's available for Lions selection to face his native land. Good man.

Selfish?? Na, that's nonsense, imo.

It's professional sport, and a short career in a brutally physical sport. He's given so much to Ireland and Munster, he owes us nothing and is more than entitled to go out on his own terms. And I think we should respect that rather than calling him selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »

I hope we smash them.

They've been in this situation multiple times. It's completely overrated. Munster were hammered in POC's last game and in Donnacha Ryan's last game. Both of them contributed to Munster over a longer period and were massive players for the province.

If they beat Leinster, it will be because they played better on the day and prepared correctly. Teams can't/don't rely on this sort of stuff to be their inspiration. It wears off once the pace of the game takes over and the first few rucks are done. In fact, I'd say it can have a negative impact in some respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aloooof wrote: »
    Selfish?? Na, that's nonsense, imo.

It's professional sport, and a short career in a brutally physical sport. He's given so much to Ireland and Munster, he owes us nothing and is more than entitled to go out on his own terms. And I think we should respect that rather than calling him selfish.

An out of contract player opts to not sign a new contract.

How very dare him.

Standers retirement will give a Leinster backrow (take your pick) motivation to step into his Ireland jersey.

Obviously Conan is in pole position, but Penny and Deegan will licking their lips.

Eh Doris is in pole position to take the Irish 8 jersey both before and after CJs retirement.

And this is the opposite of selfish.

CJ has put his family first. When it comes down to it family is all that matters. He doesn't owe anyone jack **** if it means acting in the best interest of his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Very selfish of him to put his family first

Its just an opinion. I will say though, I am very glad this era of the "project player" is coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The state of this. Would you ever cop on.

Eh Doris is in pole position to take the Irish 8 jersey both before and after CJs retirement.

And this is the opposite of selfish.

CJ has put his family first. When it comes down to it family is all that matters. He doesn't owe anyone jack **** if it means acting in the best interest of his family.

Very true. He'd already taken it before his concussion problems. Hopefully Doris doesn't have any long term issues with concussion as I think he's a future 100 cap player for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Its just an opinion. I will say though, I am very glad this era of the "project player" is coming to an end.

And the truth comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Insert facepalm emoji

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    And the truth comes out.

What truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stander is the second most selfish player in the history of rugby after Isa Nacewa

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Lads - any chance we can get back to Leinster news? - there is a Munster thread for C.J Stander (as good as he is)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lads - any chance we can get back to Leinster news? - there is a Munster thread for C.J Stander (as good as he is)

Which Leinster player do you think will move to Munster to replace Stander?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The one good bit of news for Leinster is that if you assume that a Leinster player is now a frontrunner for #8 (Doris?), it's another opportunity for one of our many backrows to get into the international squad and an opportunity for another to get more minutes during international periods.

I imagine Doris and Conan will be away on Ireland duty a lot. Potentially Deegan as well if he can get back to ore-injury form.

Stander is the second most selfish player in the history of rugby after Isa Nacewa

Isa Nacewa was never Irish qualified. He is in a different category to Stander. And he really did give absolutely everything to Leinster.

Stander is different. I feel he owed at least 2 or 3 more years of service to the Union that gave him everything, but he's honouring his contract fully and I respect his right to live his life as he pleases.

As I've always said, having never been a fan of naturalisation in any sport, its far preferable to have native Irish players or those with Irish parentage, rather than those qualified by residency on the national team. But the whole world is playing with adopted players, so we will do the same until it fizzles out, which I am glad it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Yep so Cian Kelleher rumoured to be leaving for Ealing.

• Advertisement

Isa Nacewa was never Irish qualified. He is in a different category to Stander. And he really did give absolutely everything to Leinster.

Stander is different. I feel he owed at least 2 or 3 more years of service to the Union that gave him everything, but he's honouring his contract fully and I respect his right to live his life as he pleases.

As I've always said, having never been a fan of naturalisation in any sport, its far preferable to have native Irish players or those with Irish parentage, rather than those qualified by residency on the national team. But the whole world is playing with adopted players, so we will do the same until it fizzles out, which I am glad it will.

The IRFU didn't give him his legs. Or his arms.

More seriously, they didn't introduce him to rugby, develop him from underage, give him his start in the pro game, find him wife, give him a daughter........

Advertisement