Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v10] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

tupenny wrote: »
    Why did I think it a good idea to watch this..

At least if mondo had given that creep a will bashing I'd find some redemption in it all !!

From time to time you see scenes in Fair City where actors are given moments to shine. That was one for Mondo!

Also, thought the scene with Doug giving his talk to Ray was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

pjohnson wrote: »
    So Fair City actually went with the Domestic Abuse doesn't deserve justice angle.

That was unexpected.

The judges hollow line about "not discouraging victims" is a bit shallow when everyone just saw the abuser celebrate getting away with it.

Brilliant episode. Very well acted by all in the court scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The judges hollow line about "not discouraging victims" is a bit tone deaf when everyone just saw the abuser celebrate getting away with it.

Crazy.

I can see this getting more complaints than the horny priest angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I assumed they'd go the way of Corrie and Geoff, that they couldn't be seen to an abuser not getting justice.

Ridiculous end...and what now? do we have to endure another spell of Will tormenting Christiano and everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Wrong verdict was given!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Very entertaining episode....everyone was bang on form...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

pjohnson wrote: »
    The judges hollow line about "not discouraging victims" is a bit tone deaf when everyone just saw the abuser celebrate getting away with it.

Crazy.

I can see this getting more complaints than the horny priest angle.

paradox

• Registered Users Posts: 20 EnMarche!

I have to say, I found the entire abuse plotline farcical and downright insulting, especially to victim's of domestic abuse. I felt that they really dropped the ball on this. Firstly, Will's 'master manipulator' stuff requires all of the characters to be practically brain dead. Its as if they sort of forgot the original abuse story and how caught rapid Will was - I know they tried to go with the whole 'self-defence' argument which wouldn't have mattered anyway but unless I'm mistaken it was pretty much universally known in C'town afterwards that Will was an abuser.

Even ignoring the weeks of Will intimidating witnesses and interfering with the course of justice, ending the story with a "the system fails again" message rings really hollow. I'm not looking for an in-depth legal drama but Will chatting to poor Chris in the hallway outside was just one of the ridiculous inaccuracies present. Him celebrating at the end was unnecessary and pathetic.

The way in which the story was told, Will's mediocre acting, the glaring lack of research all comes together for a really disappointing and imo insulting portrayal of domestic violence and the Courts.

Fair City has always had issues with serious stories. I was even just thinking about the comparison between Ros Na Rún's handling of losing a pregnancy with FC's one from earlier this year. The former is compassionate, provacative and in fairness has striking shots, acting etc. FC on the otherhand dealt with it in an insulting way, across like 2 episodes and whiplash-inducing transitions from comedy Cass 'Piggy-Piggiy-Piggy' stories back to the miscarriage. Overall, I'm really disappointed to see how poorly they tackled one of the most controversial and upsettimg topics with characteristic lack of research.

Next episode will see Will walk into the community centre, and meet Cris.

"Hi Cris"
    "Oh hi Will"
    "So I got off eh. People see through your lies!"
    "I still know the truth and so do you!"
    "Yeah, anyway, since we're going to be living around here we might as well be friends."
    "Sure, grand."

And the storyline evaporates faster than Jane's menopause.

Either that or Will is going to attack someone else eventually, meaning we get another year or longer of the exact same bollocks as the lead up to the trial.

I wonder if Damien will beat up will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ladybrandy

From time to time you see scenes in Fair City where actors are given moments to shine. That was one for Mondo!

Also, thought the scene with Doug giving his talk to Ray was really good.

I laughed when James fell back into the bed
    Mondo may be a clown at times but is good hearted and a good father
    I really hope Juilet sees she doesn't need the Internet the validate herself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Well that was unexpected. I really thought they would find Will guilty, if nothing else but to encourage victims to come forward. I felt so sorry for Cristiano. This obviously cannot be the end of the storyline. I really do not want to endure months of Will taunting Cristiano and Phoebe supporting him.
    Very disappointing end, the Joe Duffy lines will be busy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,439 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jos28 wrote: »
    Well that was unexpected. I really thought they would find Will guilty, if nothing else but to encourage victims to come forward. I felt so sorry for Cristiano. This obviously cannot be the end of the storyline. I really do not want to endure months of Will taunting Cristiano and Phoebe supporting him.

I assume Will be will be murdered, who done it

I'd prefer him in prison, found guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Maybe they realised they had filmed so many scenes of Mairead asking phoebe could they talk and her saying no, that it would cost too much to put Will away and have to bin them all.

I was hoping when Will was basically been xenophobic
    Phoebe might have twigged Will isn't a good person
    But no she didn't bat an eye

I would have liked the prosecuting barrister put Will under pressure. I remember a scene when he was beating Cristiano and he went on a rant about his childhood/adolescence. It was the first time we heard anything about his past and he obviously had serious issues about his sexuality. That's the line they should have gone down, watch him squirm and eventually lash out.

I would have liked the prosecuting barrister put Will under pressure. I remember a scene when he was beating Cristiano and he went on a rant about his childhood/adolescence. It was the first time we heard anything about his past and he obviously had serious issues about his sexuality. That's the line they should have gone down, watch him squirm and eventually lash out.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

I have to say I enjoyed the court scenes and the barristers and judge, very OTT but by FC standards it was entertaining and a nice change of scenery. I think the conclusion is all wrong but I guess it does happen. What they do next will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The way the trial was going I had a feeling it would be not guilty. There didn’t seem to be much evidence other then he said/he said.

I suppose they’ll get more story out of Will now as a character given he won’t be locked up.

bazermc wrote: »
    The way the trial was going I had a feeling it would be not guilty. There didn’t seem to be much evidence other then he said/he said.

I suppose they’ll get more story out of Will now as a character given he won’t be locked up.

But I was looking forward to the prison scenes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darth Melkor

I thought that this episode was despicable.
    Ignoring the continuous threats/contact from Will to Christiano before the trial which should have been flagged and easily proven. Ignoring the fact that Damien saw the damage caused by Will but wasn't called as a witness..he even experienced first hand Will hitting himself and then blaming him..and Will was framing him as a paedo at this time too (this seems to be forgotten about but I cant understand how Damien ever forgave Mairead after seeing Will, Mairead and Phoebe singing on stage). We will ignore the fact that Bronagh wasn't called as a witness. We will also not dwell upon the illogical scenario where a jury can accept that a man is running for his life despite leaving the man he has retaliated against being left battered, broken and unconscious.

There are far more inconsistencies and errors in the plot but the worst indictment of the episode is that it seriously could dissuade victims of assault/rape/abuse to report crimes. For the sake of trying to generate controversy and boost viewing figures the Fair City writers have inflicted a massive disservice on victims of crime.

If he were a witness, Damien could have mentioned that he saw Will bang his head off the wall, and cut himself and frame Damien for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I didn't expect that. Because the jury was on zoom is that an explanation for how they didn't pick up Will's passive aggressive behaviour in court?

I felt Cristiano's barrister's summation was very weak.

Terrible message sent to anyone suffering domestic abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Surprised they bothered with the helpline number after the show. No one will be calling it after that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bazermc wrote: »

Yes, I had a hunch Will would be acquitted. Domestic abuse cases can sometimes be hard to prove, and in his case he is a manipulative liar. It will be interesting to see where this story goes now. I suspect he'll slip up at some point though and be finally exposed to the likes of Phoebe - the fact that she believes him is not really that surprising. It's her father and she wants to think the best of him, she cannot handle the alternative.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, I had a hunch Will would be acquitted. Domestic abuse cases can sometimes be hard to prove, and in his case he is a manipulative liar. It will be interesting to see where this story goes now. I suspect he'll slip up at some point though and be finally exposed to the likes of Phoebe - the fact that she believes him is not really that surprising. It's her father and she wants to think the best of him, she cannot handle the alternative.

That's true
    The only thing I could not get is how did Phoebe not cop the balant xenophobia and snobbery that Will displayed
    Is she that brainwashed to believe that anything that comes out of daddy dearest's mouth is the acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ladybrandy wrote: »
    That's true
    The only thing I could not get is how did Phoebe not cop the balant xenophobia and snobbery that Will displayed
    Is she that brainwashed to believe that anything that comes out of daddy dearest's mouth is the acceptable

She's only a kid really.....
    Thats justice for ya...if you have the right legal team you can get away with murder..even though they know you're guilty...
    Should be interesting to see where this goes now..Will and Christy back together again before Will actually kills Christy...???
    Will and Mairead back together "for Phoebe"....???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocR

No doubt it will be the usual FC follow up to a big storyline i.e. none! There be some brief mentions of the trial, maybe a little more Will taunting Chris, Phoebe being an utter muppet, then moving on to a new storyline - maybe returning to Sharon, Anto, Ger & Hayley. Meanwhile the trial will be utterly forgotten and never mentioned again once a week has gone by.

Btw, is Dermot still in prison??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Absolute nonsense that Will got off. Now we're stuck with him. :(
    Phoebe is a total eejit.
    Mondo was great.

Advertisement