Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever known a "serious" criminal?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

kowloon wrote: »
    I don't like the way people are called scum when they're poor but add a bit of money into the equation and they can get away with all sorts and be accepted back into society's upper echelons. But I guess you're okay with it?

It's not even (directly) about money. If a person with a certain accent and/or address commits a crime (or, let's be totally honest here, hasn't committed any crime), they're more likely to be described as 'scum' by people who always need someone, anyone to look down on. They're an easier and more obvious target than your murderous classmate. And it's always easier to punch downwards. I'm actually doing it right now, tbh, because I think those people are quite thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

.anon. wrote: »
    It's not even (directly) about money. If a person with a certain accent and/or address commits a crime (or, let's be totally honest here, hasn't committed any crime), they're more likely to be described as 'scum' by people who always need someone, anyone to look down on. They're an easier and more obvious target than your murderous classmate. And it's always easier to punch downwards. I'm actually doing it right now, tbh, because I think those people are quite thick.

I would have thought the “scum” tag would only apply to the type of person who, when convicted of a crime, has their history of convictions, along with the different categories, read out in the news?

Although, some will attach it to anyone convicted of a serious, violent or sexual, offence. I wouldn’t be arguing their corner in that instance.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

More likely a “tall tale”.

No, afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

tdf7187 wrote: »
    He's right though. The forum is infested with extreme reich wingers. An opportunity to do down working class/welfare recipients is never missed whereas you never see them put the boot into white collar criminals, corporate welfare recipients or large farmers etc. (the latter benefit from massive welfare in the form of the CAP) Ironically most of them seem to be in make-work jobs themselves as they always have free time to post on here, day and night.

It always amazes me how anti-poor the general population of Boards is, people digging into dole recipients and social housing as wastes of money is something I see quite often. God forbid somebody were to fall on hard times and needs a hand up in life. The biggest con our criminal government ever pulled is making believe the people trying to scrape by on 250 a week were the problem, and not the retired politicians with vast land portfolios on 6 figure pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Lockheed wrote: »
    It always amazes me how anti-poor the general population of Boards is, people digging into dole recipients and social housing as wastes of money is something I see quite often. God forbid somebody were to fall on hard times and needs a hand up in life. The biggest con our criminal government ever pulled is making believe the people trying to scrape by on 250 a week were the problem, and not the retired politicians with vast land portfolios on 6 figure pensions

A lot of is with people with a low sense of self-worth and self-esteem. People who know their wife would leave them and she'd get the house and kids if they lost their mediocre job in whatever grey industry they're wasting their life in.

It's important for a lot of people to know there are people below them on the social hierarchy, and they like reminding themselves that they are there and are somehow morally and ethically superior. Because their own grip on life is fragile in the first instance.

I have a few acquaintances like this. A pint and a half in and they're off on rants about the povs, scroungers and council houses. They all have a few things in common: they are unhappy in their careers, they are overburdened with debt they took on to act out the middle class life, are frequently in slowly collapsing marriages and are mourning the mediocrity of their own life.

I fully expect this post to trigger some users, but I've found it to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

When I was a child my parents immigrated to the US and we started off in a rather rough part of an east coast city. Lots of fights and bullying but one kid was especially mean. During play fights he always tried to really hurt you, etc. Had a mean pit bull he used to try and train to attack people. Would throw slaps at you for no reason if you weren't looking. Hated the sight of him. Used to get a sick feeling in my stomach whenever he was around, just felt pure evil emanating from him. Even his name, Anwaar sounded evil to me.

Googled him out of interest a few years ago, he's in jail now after he helped burn the body of a 15 year old girl his mate had raped, killed, chopped up and put into a steel drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Lockheed wrote: »

It's the same sort of way you'll find a lot of skinny people have a disatin for fat people or pretty people have a disdain for ugly folk, I'm sure the same goes for a lot of middle class people having an opinion on poor or working class people.

Honestly I think a lot of people want to identify themselves as superior to some other group and maybe they use it to fill a gap in their own sense of self worth.

I also don't think boards is any way representative of the general populace, there is some f*cking nutty people that post here and I think it amplifies ideas more than they actually are, I think most people in real life are fairly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

gary550 wrote: »
    I also don't think boards is any way representative of the general populace, there is some f*cking nutty people that post here and I think it amplifies ideas more than they actually are, I think most people in real life are fairly reasonable.

Most certainly not. If boards.ie were representative of “real life” Peter Casey would be president and The National Party would be closing up our borders and cutting welfare spending.

Lots of, very, angry men with very little going on in their lives on this site, a vocal minority.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Well that escalated quickly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Most certainly not. If boards.ie were representative of “real life” Peter Casey would be president and The National Party would be closing up our borders and cutting welfare spending.

Lots of, very, angry men with very little going on in their lives on this site, a vocal minority.

Not a bad summation Emmet, but you are assuming quite a few people's gender ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm sure I wouldn't get the same punishment as someone from a rough area relying on a public defender. If you have a bone to pick with me take it to PM.

A public defender?

Mod

Thread has gone on a bit of a tangent, can we get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Knew a lad who got a long stretch for bank robbing, got out after the GFA

Another lad who was shot dead by gardai

My Grandfather was sent down for having a load of hand grenades back in the Emergency, shot a branchman after that but didnt kill him, never charged with it.

Other Grandfather was interned in the Civil War.

Lad I knew growing up was convicted of arson, he was a few years younger than me. Got a stiff sentence for it.

Well that escalated quickly. :pac:

It did!

But sure isn't that how discussions go, one person says one thing and another challenges and next thing we are all throwing furniture at each other :D

Just like 'after hours' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

PCeeeee wrote: »
    A public defender?

I honestly have no idea what you call a defence covered by legal aid. Anyway...

Know a few who been resident on E4 in portlaoise

few lads i went to school with,got sucked into drug dealing and all it entails......most are ok,but one or two are v.sad cases and have ruined their health,futures and lost everything,always chasing the one big deal

Know one or two other been in jail for stupid sh1t,which if they had any cop-on they wouldnt be....but i guess some dont see wood from trees at times..

Where do I start..
    Know and lived beside Alot of petty/not so petty criminals, council estates.
    I'll answer with the ones I was on speaking terms with not just neighbours..(or I could go on)
    One of my best mates got caught in the 90s with half a million pounds worth of drugs..
    Nice fella, bad upbringing. Still speak to him when I see him.

Friends brother got a good spell in prison with another fella for raping a blind woman when they were quite young , he was always not right in the head. They're still crackpots.

Guy that was part of our group of friends the odd time early 2000s was said to be one of Ireland top drug dealers at the time, fled to Spain and left a mansion back in Ireland that CAB had seized. Had a party in said mansion once after he fled. The place was unreal!

Friends sister got caught transporting a gun, did a few years in Mountjoy, good family bad choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Worked on the door with Levi Belfield in the late 90ies in London, never liked the fcuker as he always seemed to eager to please

Then I saw his ugly mug splashed across every paper one morning

May he burn in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Worked for Brian Kearney and his two brothers at one career tangent. If you asked me then which of the three brothers would be a murderer, Brian would be the bottom of the three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭black & white

I knew a guy who was convicted of murder in Clare about 30 years ago when murder was a rare thing, grew up a few doors away from him. I also knew a few guys who were involved in 'Republican Activities' in the 70's and 80's and spent time in jail, one has appeared in a few TV programmes about the troubles. I also worked in a factory in the 80's that was under observation by the Branch on suspicion of being a place where engineering/fabrication was been done after hours to help the RA. One of the guys working there was from the North but when he got married, had to have the wedding in Cavan or Monaghan because so many guests were on-the-run. Interesting place to work during the Hunger Strikes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As this thread has been revived my home address is about 200 meters from the residence of a pedophile… he was convicted of sexually assaulting his daughter a good number of years ago.. found guilty, received a conviction and did a small amount of jail time but a lot of it was suspended, he is a recluse apparently and only leaves his house after dark… saw him recently for the first time in aeons, putting the bins out and he just looks like an amiable old grandad, about 85 as opposed to the weirdo filth that he is …

• Registered Users Posts: 20,589 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes

I'd imagine the way Dublin is now many of us grew up around people who went on to do armed Robbery , murder and other gang related actives

Also know someone who got in a fight and killed someone by accident but that's a serious crime but he was not a serious criminal .,

I also as a young teen was in the company many times of someone who was also a young teen at the time who is now in prison for crimes against Children & should never see the light of day, Although he was odd you'd have never of know back then what he would go on to do ,

Advertisement