Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever known a "serious" criminal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

1) Knew a lad who lives a few mins walk from home, killed his nephew who was a infant

This guy had serious physiological problems.

Found guilty but insane.

2) A lad i played football with was done for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hope it didn’t affect you too negatively.

Apart from being geographically closer I was not affected more than anyone else really. Would only know the young lad to see and know his house, thankfully I didn't know Anna or her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

micar wrote: »
    1) Knew a lad who lives a few mins walk from home, killed his nephew who was a infant

Found guilty but insane.

I think #1 is the same guy I was mentioned earlier on.

Was #2 related to the recent feuds in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thankfully no.
    A few people in my secondary school year were caught with bomb equipment etc and charged with membership of the IRA. The trial collapsed.

Found guilty but insane.

I think #1 is the same guy I was mentioned earlier on.

Was #2 related to the recent feuds in the town?

Just read your post. Very likely to be DB. I never really had a problem with him. I remember is cousin who was a nutjob.

My sister was good friends with his sister.

The other incident occurred early 2000s. He was one of 3 who burst into the home of the boyfriend of one of those lads ex girlfriend. Absolutely battered him with a pickaxe, a wooden pole and the top end of a golf shaft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Knew a guy from school who was also in my unit when I was in the Reserve Defence Forces. Years ago he killed a guy on a night out. He was messing around with his mates or something and punched some guy passing him on the street. It was a one-punch death. I think he was sentenced to three years in prison for it. I saw him on the street once when he got out. The dread I felt when I passed him by. It was in the news as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Knew a guy from school who was also in my unit when I was in the Reserve Defence Forces. Years ago he killed a guy on a night out. He was messing around with his mates or something and punched some guy passing him on the street. It was a one-punch death. I think he was sentenced to three years in prison for it. I saw him on the street once when he got out. The dread I felt when I passed him by. It was in the news as well.

Did this involve a retired journalist?

Yes. more than 1.

Will say No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did you think he might punch you?

Wow 3 years is nothing for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Do I know any serious criminals?
    Well they coming knocking at my door campaigning anytime there's an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

2 lads on the GAA team as a nipper. Later down the road would end up on "opposite teams". Anyway, one shot the other dead on his doorstep iirc. Then himself dies in prison a while later. Nice cheerful synopsis for a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

gmisk wrote: »
    Wow 3 years is nothing for that

Some googling confirmed my question to op. There are several different pictures of this guy coming in and out of court laughing his head off. He clearly had no remorse and seemed to view the while thing as a big joke. This scrote should have gotten nothing less than ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Yes, I have been acquainted with several senior bankers and similar sharks in suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

morbid convo.

Never heard of him - what did he do?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Many years ago, I was actually questioned 3 times about a murder in my area turns out a neighbour of mine did it..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Chap who was considered very scary and violent locally. He even helped out on a charity event and collected sponsorship money. Ended up with links to drugs and being gunned down.

Some googling confirmed my question to op. There are several different pictures of this guy coming in and out of court laughing his head off. He clearly had no remorse and seemed to view the while thing as a big joke. This scrote should have gotten nothing less than ten years.
    I saw the pics there now of him smirking and smiling pretty sickening.
    He only served 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

FTA69 wrote: »
    Is this a lad from Dungarvan you’re on about?

No.

Many years ago, I was actually questioned 3 times about a murder in my area turns out a neighbour of mine did it..

Out of curiosity.....what made you a suspect and what was questioning aspect like

At any time did you feel that the AGS might try and pin it on you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Out of curiosity.....what made you a suspect and what was questioning aspect like

At any time did you feel that the AGS might try and pin it on you?

I was in the area at the time, wasn't ever in the Garda thinking, but had to go thru questions to see if I could remember seeing the lad.
    It was pretty horrific killing so tbf, they were thorough in their work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I lived close to a guy who was considered "one of the most violent and dangerous criminals in Limerick ". He and his friend beat a barman to death in a side street because they thought he was carrying the takings from the pub with him. He was identified from a bloodied hand print that was on the wall. He was given life in prison and actually died of a heart attack while in prison a few years ago.

I also know a guy who's currently doing life in prison for stabbing his best friend to death after a drunken argument that got out of hand.

I was in the area at the time, wasn't ever in the Garda thinking, but had to go thru questions to see if I could remember seeing the lad.
    It was pretty horrific killing so tbf, they were thorough in their work

Ah ...you were a potential witness rather than a suspect.

Assumed incorrectly.....my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Alan Hawe taught in our local national school.

Taught at least 2 if my brothers.

Never taught me but he definitely coached my school GAA team a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is a thread that comes up with a fair degree of regularity in here.
    Yes, many both violent and professional aswell as professionally violent.
    Even quite a few of the idealogically motivated violent bent.

One person I had quite a bit of contact with in the mid 90's as part of cooperation north and the Garda Youth Diversion project team at the time is currently under investigation as part of review of the operation of a charity they were involved in.
    I'd assume based even on what I knew back in the 90's a fair degree of graft went on.

I've family members who have been part of despicable acts, and I'm estranged from them and frankly glad my mother died before he sank to his lowest.

It sounds like I'm at a nexus of criminality, I'm really not.(I think) but I do have a huge number of people I know who are involved.
    Another person who was a childhood friend of mine, and is still an acquaintance recently settled with CAB for a substantial sum.
    They are "re-orientating" their income from drugs, to property and now are landlord to substantial and growing number of properties around Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Alan Hawe taught in our local national school.

Taught at least 2 if my brothers.

Never taught me but he definitely coached my school GAA team a few times.

I was in a pub one night and that story was on the front page of The Sun,the barman asked a customer did you read about that.The customer who was a barstool critic and had a bad opinion on just about everything just said "We never know what goes on inside a person's mind." Always stayed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My father was questioned three times over a murder that happened near where he worked , the Gardai 500 hundred of his colleagues and about 800 soldiers in a nearby barracks.
    My dad was questioned three times because the las who was murdered was related to us , Gardai eventually said to my Dad we know you're not involved, we have your clock in cards and cctv but we have to 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Someone I know very well was convicted of murder, later reduced to manslaughter on appeal (crime and case were a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it). They did an absolutely appalling thing, no question about it - and put the family of the victim and their own family though absolute hell - but in every other aspect of their lives they're one of the quietest, nicest, most helpful people you could meet. They pleaded guilty to manslaughter, served their time and are out of prison, but I still can't get my head around what they did, because knowing the person, it just doesn't seem possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Went on a date with a Malaysian guy a few years ago who told me he was on the FBI'S most wanted list for managing to smuggle oil out of Iran.

Told me his dad owned a fish canning factory in Thailand and one of his mates was in opium production. The friend had some problems with whistleblowers so chopped them up and my guy allowed him to can them in the factory.

He of course could have been making it all up, but either way I didn't want to go out with a dangerous guy or a fantacist.

Oh and my old hairdresser's husband recently went down for the death of his lorry load of Vietnamese people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

bravado,

Advertisement